Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mediaphage posted:

You could get one of those enameled roasters. They're quite large.

Alternatively, I take an old jelly roll pan that I don't care about (e.g. warping) and let it preheat in the oven. Then I toss some ice cubes or some sprays of water onto it when I put the bread in. Works pretty well, though I only bother when I really am going all out for "artisan" bread. Just the small oven itself and the offgassing of water vapor from the dough is generally sufficient.

Yeah, I get perfectly fine results out of a smallish oven, a thick pizza stone, and a little old cast-iron spoon rest I can toss some water in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

Alright, this is week 3. I'm about halfway through the process, these stupid little boules are doing their final rise right now. Besides shaping them like absolute trash this week, I thought things were going better. For those who have followed the tartine recipe or similar, is this about the size your boules turn out when you split the dough, after the initial shape? They just seem so small. This is 1000g of flour. The bulk ferment went well, I thought the dough was rising really well but they just seem small. If history repeats itself, scoring them will also be a total bitch, they don't seem to cut well like I've seen online or on instagram (drat bread celebs) even with incredibly sharp razor blades. An hour into their rise and they seem to be doing better than the last batch.

I tend to have better luck scoring with a bread knife rather than a razor, but YMMV.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Hey I have a question about those "best used by dates " for active dry yeast.

I have a few jars of yeast in the freezer, 2015-Mar and 2016-May and Jun. Are the yeast long completely dead or can I save a few dollars and still make bread with them?

edit : oh yeah the proofing test, I'll get right on that.

If it proofs, you're fine, but two years is a bit of a stretch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

May have to give that a try at some point, but I don't think anything can shake my love for challah french toast.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

same

today I am a challahback girl

Tomorrow you better be making french toast then. Stale challah is the bee's knees.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Team_q posted:

Just found out about this thread, I've never made bread before, I've been watching a pile of 18th century cooking and decided to give a rustic bread a try!

It was good!

That's a really nice crumb for a first loaf!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

We had a challenge a few years back to bake A Bread without a recipe, or measuring. Pretty much everyone managed to make A Bread.

Mastering bread is a long and experimental process, but getting a good enough loaf is pretty easy. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I find kneading to be zen-like, so I don't bother with the breadmaker.

Nothing I've found in this world makes me more content than the smell of fresh bread, though. :3:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I adore how easy it is to make A Bread.

1T yeast, 1T kosher salt, 1lb warm water, 1lb flour. Hit it with the dough hook in the stand mixer until fully moist. Threw a flour sack over it and am letting it rise a couple hours while doing other things.

I'll divide and shape it after that, ~20m to proof up, and an hour or so later I'll have bread for the work week.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for easy dinner rolls?

I do challah for soft dinner rolls.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You can do all-rye sourdough too, but you need a ~12 hour ferment after the dough is shaped and it still doesn't rise much.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Decided that today is a rye day, but was out of malt syrup. Found some powder, though.

Hence, light rye with caraway, onion, and garlic is rising.

Edit:

Probably could have let it rise longer, but I like dense crumb in my rye.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 13, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

He also did a 15th Anniversary update of TBBA a couple years back with some updates and a couple new recipes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Speaking of scales, mine is on its last legs. Anyone have a recommendation?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Noslo posted:

well I've been trying to go easy on the carbs lately but after browsing this thread I dont see that happening. Gonna grab some high protein flour after work and get bakin'

Bread is 75% of why I never had any success on low carb diets.

The other 25% is pie.

That said, bread's pretty easy to fit into a healthy diet. The high hydration artisan bread recipe I use works out to about 880 calories, 176g carbs, and 32g protein for an entire 1.5lb loaf. If you're trying to cut carbs, just make rolls instead, so you get all the crusty bits without eating a whole pound of bread in the process. :v:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 29, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

effika posted:

Yeah I really thought I wanted a stand mixer until I read about no-knead bread.

If you do a lot of other baking things and need to whip egg whites and cream a lot I guess it could still be useful, but it's definitely not necessary for bread. If those egg whites aren't for meringue you can even get away with a handheld electric mixer. (I guess you can use it for for meringue too-- it's just such a long process.)

Yeah, I rarely use mine for bread, it's mostly for batters and frostings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Siselmo posted:

Hey there! I've made bread every now and then. I'm still a beginner, but I've managed brioche buns, simple flour/water/yeast/salt loaves, and other simple stuff, and most of the time they taste great and aren't very dense, I've always struggled with browning/overbaking.

At our house we have a gas oven (until a few years ago, I learned gas ovens aren't very common??), so it's harder to gauge baking times (if I take the bread out at the time specified on the recipe, it will be undercooked nearly always), and I have trouble getting the top to brown without burning the bottom/overbaking. Egg wash helps a bit, but not by much. Any recommendations?

Are you using a stone?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I have a tilt-head mixer. We got my sister the Professional 5 qt model with the lifting bowl for Christmas. I like mine fine, but I have to pull it forward on the counter to make sure I can tilt the head without hitting the underside of the cabinets. I also think my sister's has a better bread-hook. We got her mixer at Best Buy on Black Friday for $220 because there's no way we'd have paid the full price; I don't know what poo poo's gonna cost you over there, though.

I highly prefer the lift-bowl style because it lets you get under it with a torch when you're doing fondant or frostings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm in progress on a new starter here.

Started it on whole rye flour, feeding on unbleached now. This is day three, going to feeding on 12's now and we'll see how it's feeling about being bread in a week.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

Throw me your bread knife recs. Suffering over here with something I inherited, but is way too small and fidly for the job of cutting sourdough boules.

I'm happy with my Victorinox chef's knife I've had almost 10 years. The bread knife any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-S...s%2C203&sr=8-18

I stand by the 10" Wusthoff super slicer as the one true bread knife.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I start mine on rye and feed it a little more every few feedings because I like the little bit of flavor it gives, but that's just me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yep, it's what I do when I don't want to bother with a starter, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I wanted to use up my starter discard.

Sugared sourdough yeast doughnuts with fresh lemon curd.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

nwin posted:

Recipe. Please.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/yeast-raised-doughnuts-recipe

Remove 75g each milk and AP flour and yeast, replace with 150g sourdough starter (or discard). Could use more, but that was how much discard I had.

Lemon curd is lemon curd, eggs/lemon juice/zest/butter. Use jam if you prefer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

King Arthur Flour has what looks like a sensible one.

I wish to complain. Last night I reached for a loaf of my bread to cut a slice, and I got a splinter in my finger that drew blood. I mean, really.

Protip: Use their shaping technique, but make challah instead.

Challah is the superior sandwich structural component every time.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 25, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Braided hot dog buns? Interesting.

I mean you -could- braid 'em, but you don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

The King Arthur sourdough discard pancakes are incredibly good. I’m getting to the point where I’m feeding my starter just to build a batch of discard for crackers/pancakes/etc.

Their sourdough crackers are great for using up discard too.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-crackers-recipe

I make 'em with everything bagel seasoning on top.