Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I just made my first no-knead bread (the Serious Eats Better No-Knead Bread) and aside from having to put it in the fridge at 7 hours instead of 12-16 hours it came out great. (I think my kitchen must be a LOT warmer than Kenji's.) I used to make pizza dough all the time so I'm looking forward to making some pizza with no kneading soon.

Right now, though, I want to make a sandwich loaf, or perhaps a sandwich-like loaf using the no-knead technique. I'm looking for something that general shape, that I can slice for sandwiches. All the recipes I find include sugar in them-- is that just because sandwich bread is usually sweet? I try to avoid added sugar in general right now, so a non-sugar recipe would be good. Should I use a different search term to find bread that can bake in a loaf pan and become generally sandwich-loaf shaped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
It's totally possible to get a 100% wheat no-Knead bread. It will be dense, but it will still give a nice boule. Adding vital wheat gluten helps.

Look for The New Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day's 100% Whole Wheat recipe. The master recipe is nearly the same, but a 70/30 wheat/white ratio. (Made this week after I got the book from the library and it's a keeper.)

There's also a number of mom blogs with nearly identical no-Knead whole wheat sandwich loaf recipes too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
FYI some lots of King Arthur got recalled for E. coli

Press releases posted:

The only product affected by this voluntary recall is our Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (5 lb.) from these six specific lot codes and three Best Used by Dates, which can be found on the bottom of the side panel, below the nutrition facts panel.

BEST USED BY 12/07/19 LOT: L18A07C
BEST USED BY 12/08/19 LOTS: L18A08A, L18A08B
BEST USED BY 12/14/19 LOTS: L18A14A, L18A14B, L18A14C

My date code was stamped on the front panel near the top, so look around if you don't see it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Argona posted:

Hey y’all, If I make my own yogurt and I wanted to try making bread, can I use some of the yogurt as a starter? Would I still have to add dry yeast?

This site says you can do it but you'll need a teensy bit of yeast. It's also a no knead recipe so that should be very simple to try.

Also I want to start making my own yogurt one of these days, and yogurt bread does sound like a nice trick.

MelancholyMark posted:

First time making sourdough and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!

Looks delicious!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I have to make myself freeze it or else it's all gone immediately.

It was so hard to make myself wait on this sandwich loaf to cool to slice it and then there was definitely less left than I'd planned to save for later.

(Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day Master recipe, just 2lbs of it cooked in a bread tin.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Come join us in the running thread and you'll never care about too much sodium or carbs again! You can run on any diet, but winners eat carbs.

Breadchat:

Did the no-knead bread from Serious Eats as a pizza dough and was unimpressed. Tweaked it a bit following some tips from King Arthur and what I'd found on The Fresh Loaf and what I remembered of my pizza days and got a better crust. Mainly made sure I didn't over-proof it in my hot summer kitchen and left it alone in the fridge for a few days. Also added some oil so it's easier to work with. I used my Lodge combo cooker to make personal mini pizzas, but have a cast iron pizza pan coming for next time.

I'd looked at getting a baking steel but it turns out I can't lift a slab of stainless steel safely! So cast iron it is, for less than half the weight. (I'm in the running thread, not the lifting thread.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

biggfoo posted:

Haven't made bread in a long time but have some guests and figured it is a good enough reason as any so did the fwsy overnight white.

Got a little distracted during the proofing and feel like maybe need to tone down the convection in my oven when the lid is off because it browned pretty swiftly. Still tasty though.

Also some bonus banana bread that's cooling.

Looks nice!

This weekend I made a cranberry walnut brioche with 60% whole wheat flour. I tried to do that fancy thing where you split a filled log vertically and then twist it together but it was so high hydration that it made a lump instead. I also forgot to put the cinnamon in the filling and so put it on the outside as a cinnamon sugar coating. Dough is the no-knead brioche from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

I've gotten a lot of compliments on the cinnamon sugar coating so I will probably do that again the next time I make it. Both of the 1lb loaves were gone in a day!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah I really thought I wanted a stand mixer until I read about no-knead bread.

If you do a lot of other baking things and need to whip egg whites and cream a lot I guess it could still be useful, but it's definitely not necessary for bread. If those egg whites aren't for meringue you can even get away with a handheld electric mixer. (I guess you can use it for for meringue too-- it's just such a long process.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Siselmo posted:

I've only heard about stones for pizza??

Stones (or baking steels, or heavy cast iron) hold onto the oven heat and release it slowly back into the oven. They keep the temperature steadier and help deflect some of the direct heat from the oven's burners to give a more even bake. I keep my cast iron pizza pan in the oven for just about everything now and my non-bread bakes are better for it. (I also bake bread in a cast iron dutch oven inside my normal oven and it is great, and do bigger loaves on the pizza pan.)

When in contact the bread dough, they also transfer heat much more efficiently than air.

There are many articles listing the pluses and minuses of each material. I have settled on cast iron for a few reasons:

1) I can't safely list baking steels
2) I am very clumsy and baking stones will break easier than metal
3) My cast iron pieces have uses outside of the oven

Actual baking steels cost an arm and a leg, but metal fabricators will custom cut you a slab of your preferred thickness and size for pretty cheap. You just have to wash the oils off thoroughly.

Some people claim that cast iron burns the bottoms of their loaves, but I haven't found that to be true if I've got the loaf on parchment paper.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Qubee posted:

I bought the FWSY book on Amazon, so will definitely be trying it out.

poo poo, I may as well just wait for Black Friday and hand knead til then.

Nearly all my dough is no-knead now! It's so easy and doesn't aggravate my wrists. Plus I get to leave dough to sit around until I'm ready to bake it, saving me a lot of time on baking day. Check out Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day's master recipe (can be found online on their website) too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

This only works for non enriched. You need a mixer for sane brioche or anything butter heavy.

I did make brioche about a month ago and didn't knead it, actually. Mixing was a chore but with a wet enough dough and a long enough rise anything is possible!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I made burger buns for a cookout today. They had hardly any oven spring, but that was OK because I'd been told "nothing so big we'd have to take apart the burger to eat."

It was the Wheat Oat Flax Canada Day Buns recipe from King Arthur., and it came out absolutely delicious and held up well to the burgers. They were just, like, 3/4 of inch tall. I didn't expect them to be very tall; based on the recipe, just... taller than what I got.

I think I must have under-kneaded it; I've got some forearm issues and had to stop when it hurts. It seemed to be kneaded enough, but perhaps not. Or maybe not proofed enough on that second rise. I might try doing this as a no-knead bread as I've had better luck with oven spring with those.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It seems both underproofed (you can tell from the tightness of the crumb, which seems to want to draw together on the second picture there) and like you didn't form it as tightly as you should have. Make sure to develop enough gluten to get a decent windowpane, and make sure to give the dough ball plenty of tension.

Thanks for confirming my instincts; those should be easy to work on with this dough next time.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Those buns look neat. How rich are they? Or, to put the question more directly, how do you think they'd be without the egg yolk? I'd be interested in making a vegan version but I wouldn't want them to turn out dry or anything.

I think they'd be fine without the egg yolk, just not as soft.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The cutting boards is the best idea, assuming you have no control over your counters or can't replace them for a while.

For a while in college I used a big plastic placemat (was a buck from Target I think) taped to the kitchen table as I had no counter space. Had to make that pizza dough one way or another!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

I made a recipe from Paul Hollywood’s bread book. Sourdough with white chocolate and raspberry. First kneaded sourdough I’ve done. Tastes pretty good but looks a little ugly.

The inside looks like marble! Neat.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

betaraywil posted:

I have a weird question. How do y'all make bread crumbs?

I make a sourdough loaf every couple of days, and often the back heel gets unappealingly tough before we get to it (by which time there's another loaf anyway), which was fine because I could dry it out and then make gourmet artisanal sourdough bread crumbs and soak them in butter and garlic. But this completely destroyed my food processor. (It stripped the interior of the blade attachment, so that the rotor would spin without moving the blade at all.)

I've tried a couple of things since then--most recently a cheap coffee grinder that did basically nothing, probably because I couldn't get the initial chunks small enough.

Anybody have tips? Will a good food processor hold up (this was like a $30 cuisinart thing)? Do I need to soak the old bread, break it up, then dry it out a second time?

I use a box grater, like you'd use for cheese. I slice up bread ends pretty thin and toast dry in a 200F oven, then use the box grater when they're cool. It's really messy, and gives my forearm a workout, though. I like this method because I hate cleaning all the bits of a food processor.

What food processor do you have? A good strong one should not have had stale bread strip the blade attachment.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Eggs can provide some leavening too, so don't forget about those.

I think we're just getting after you for not just saying that you don't have yeast or baking powder/soda.

I mean, if you are in a campground and all you brought was flour, water, and salt, then yes, you were right.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I made a sourdough starter now that it's cold enough in my kitchen to get the right kind of microbes to grow. Here is my first loaf! The crumb has a few issues so I think I'll just have to bake sourdough regularly for it to get dialed in- what a shame!

Recipe is just the 1-2-3 Sourdough formula that you can google combined with no-kneading. Left it on the counter overnight for 12hrs (kitchen is about 65F right now), then in the fridge for 2 days.

Samwise the sourdough starter makes a tasty loaf! Can't wait to see what it can do once it's stronger and tangier.

effika fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 9, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005

betaraywil posted:

So a half box of bandaids later, I realized that you meant I should grate freshish bread and then dry the crumbs out, not try to grate the weeks-old desiccated loaf ends.

It's a great arm workout the way you did it, though!

I do like one of these when I am doing grating or mandolin work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPMMPDW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_bSg1Db50AESD8

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I made croissants, though I had trouble with getting them thin enough on the last roll-out and so they kinda look like 💩 emojis when I rolled them up. They taste so much better than store bought that it's almost worth the hassle to make again. Almost.

Used the Weekend Bakery 3 Day French Croissant recipe.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Dijkstracula posted:

Yeah, so each of the recipes I've tried has a feeding stage before autolysing/mixing, so that should be okay.

Question, though: I'm keeping it in the fridge and so it's relatively dormant; should there be a pre-feeding feeding, or some additional stage? I'm at least bringing it up to room temperature first...
Hm, yeah, it is reasonably young. I started it about a month ago with weekly-ish feedings after getting it going (it's living in the fridge the rest of the time).

Yeah try bringing it out of the fridge and feeding it for a couple of days before you need to use it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

credburn posted:

Hey all you fantastic breadfolk. I hope this is not blasphemy to ask this, but -- I'm looking to buy Girlfriend a bread maker. We're both vegan, and on top of that she has a soy intolerance. So, I was hoping perhaps you guys could recommend a decent breadmaker (like, say, around a hundred bux, maybe as much as 150 Also: is there a particularly expansive source of ingredients that is a favorite of those who make instead of bake? Heh. That's clever.

No idea for the breadmaker (I do no-knead breads instead) but King Arthur Flour has everything you could possibly want. Not a great prices or particularly good shipping, but they will be guaranteed to have whatever baking thing you need.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

CaladSigilon posted:

I come seeking guidance, Great Goon Bakers of the Internet. I am but a basic bitchbaker with a couple of recipes that I can make reasonably well enough to feed to those whose only comparison is store-bought bread.

One of the recipes is for Challah, and I'd like to start making it regularly for Shabbat for my household. Unfortunately, the recipe requires making the dough, kneading it, letting it proof for 2 hours, forming it, letting it proof again for an hour, and only then baking it (for 30 minutes).

On Fridays, though, I have a rather small window between when I get home from work and when the bread would need to be ready to serve. The 30 minutes for baking, definitely. The hour for the second proof, probably -- but that's probably about it.

I have free blocks of time on Thursday evening, but unless I make the entire loaf in advance and then warm it up (which I can do if that's the best option!), I'm a bit at a loss of where to stop in the recipe and store whatever step I'm on in the fridge until the next day.

I beg you for your guidance!

I know I preach No-Knead Bread in here a lot, but you're exactly the kind of person it's good for!

Here's a no-knead challah recipe that should give you some guidance on where to stop with your recipe. Basically you mix it up, let it get going on the counter for a few hours and refrigerate after that. The gluten will develop itself with time and high enough hydration, no need for any kneading! After work, bring the dough out, shape & final proof, then bake. Still takes a little time day-of but far less than doing it all at once.

Edit: remember that final proofing time will be temperature dependant. It calls for 90 minutes but if you have it in a nice warm spot you won't need that much time.

effika fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 3, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Keetron posted:

My first bread ever:

Fluffy but sticky.

My second bread ever:

This one was horribly dense, not sure what went wrong.

Bread 4 & 5:
The cut one is sticky, the uncut one I will post later. It is following the recipe in the no-knead OP.

edit: the uncut one was a bit more dry and yummy, I gave half to my neighbour as I made too much and she was snacking on it when walking out the door.
Smaller batches next week.

Basically this no-knead bread is bothering me a bit, I run into some issues. There seem to be two types of recipe's on the internet, one that contains as much (weight) water as flour and one (like in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460932 ) and one that goes 3 : 2 in flour : water weight. Both give me a somewhat rubbery textured bread that tastes very good but the 1:1 bread is still very moist inside so that I have to toast the slices before they are "normal". What could be happening here? I would like to make a bit lighter bread, but also started a sourdough starter yesterday... So many choices! Anyway, the goal is to have fresh, home-made bread every Saterday for lunch. I'll figure it out someday, maybe after I finished reading all 100 pages of this thread (currently on page 4)

I really suggest finding one recipe and getting very good at it, then branch out into other stuff so you know more of why things are doing what. Set up an EverNote or OneNote notebook and keep detailed notes-- hydration levels, flour used, levain type & amount, proofing times & temps, baking times & temps, did you like the results, crumb photo, etc.

What temperature are you cooking your loaves to? For lean breads, shoot for over 200F, even over 205F to really cook the moisture out.

How long are you waiting to slice your bread? My sandwich loaves will be gummy if I slice them before they've had 24 hours to cool off and redistribute the moisture throughout the loaf. Smaller loaves (like the Serious Eats no-knead recipe) will also need time to cool off, but since they weigh less I can usually get away with waiting only an hour or two for better results. (Sometimes we only wait 15 minutes because the bread smells too good and dinner is ready and there won't be any leftovers anyway.) The longer time before slicing is likely why loaf #5 came out better than #4 despite being in the same batch.

What are you doing when you shape your loaves? I find a few stretch-and-folds after a bulk ferment time vital to getting some structure to no-knead dough. Don't be afraid to really move that dough around; look up "gluten cloaking" too for some ideas.

A lot of no-knead recipes end up in the 70-80% hydration range as the extra water seems to help the gluten formation in absence of manipulation. (Remember, hydration is by weight, and use metric to keep sane.)

Speaking of manipulation-- keep mixing your dough for a minute or two after the ingredients have come together. You'll feel it start to fight back a little, and that's the level of gluten formation you're going for before you leave the dough alone for hours/days.

I stick 10g of vital wheat gluten (per 2lbs of dough) in my whole wheat sandwich loaves for better texture, so if you've done all you can with technique AND you're primarily working with whole wheat dough, give that a shot.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Keetron posted:

225C which is similar to 427F I am sure you mean C in that sentence.

Oven temp is definitely something to keep track of. I meant the internal temperature of the bread-- stick a probe thermometer in there and see if it has hit 93/95C for lean breads.

Keetron posted:

UPDAAAATE:
I came in from work today and the starter that I thought was dead, was actually super fluffy so I fed it with 2 tbls of rye flour and one water. I'll keep ya'll up to date on this!

Yay! And it's really hard to thoroughly kill a starter unless you bake it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

I suck at baking. But I love bread and am happy to buy loaves from a real bakery. That said, my bread knife sucks. Is there a recommended one?

If you're stepping up from whatever grocery store brand knife, you'll be quite happy with this Mercer 10" (be sure to get a blade guard for it though-- shop around for a cheap one).

Also I think I only paid $12 bucks for that knife so see if it goes on sale any, or get the Victorinox one if it's cheaper.

You can't really sharpen serrated knives like this so consider them semi-disposable.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I just use tap water for my starter. That's all I ever bake with so I select for the chlorine-hardy (and hexavalent chromium and arsenic-hardy) yeast right off the bat.

I really should get a reverse osmosis filter :ohdear:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sextro posted:

Starting a batch of sourdough off some whole rye flour. Most directions to make a starter I find tell me to wait 48 hours before feeding the first time, but I'm at 24 hours and it's already doubled. Should I go ahead and feed early?

Yep, feed the beasties when they're hungry and they'll reward you.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't gone out to get a dough scraper since I'm trying to avoid going out as much as possible, so they're ugly as sin. Baked at 500 instead of 450, got this nice looking brown going. They're crackling inside as they cool, is that normal? Almost like rice krispies in milk.

The crackling is cool and good yes!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

I have returned to using sourdough starters because I can suddenly wait forever for dough to rise now.

Any tips for making sourdough pancakes with the extra starter? Or any other things to do with the extra?

This should get you started. I make the crackers regularly and they go excellently with some hummus.

If I want a sourdough-ish flavor but am not needing the discard to provide leavening (using baking soda/powder or other yeast) I just replace some of the recipe's flour & liquid with my discard.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Serendipitaet posted:

First attempt at sourdough, rye starter. Very happy with the result, perhaps a touch dark. Will bake another one tomorrow.

Question for the thread: I made the rye starter according to this guide, which results in a small amount of starter, approx. 120g. The bread recipe is from the same site and uses only 15g of starter for the poolish.

I was wondering how to use up the remaining starter before throwing part of it out for the feeding and wanted to try sourdough pancakes. However, the recipes I found all asked for like a cup of starter / 240g, even with an overnight fermentation. I don’t really want to maintain a huge amount of starter all the time, is there a way around this? Can i just take a bit of my mature culture a day before and bring it up to 240g in total?

If you're only feeding yourself: Discard pancakes without added flour, using a reasonable amount of starter (recipe makes about 2 pancakes using 1/2 cup scoops of batter for each).

If you usually have 100g of starter discard and the recipes you see all call for 240g of discard, you have some options:

1) Put the discard into some tupperware in the fridge and accumulate enough for the recipe you have in mind. It'll last a month at least that way.

2) Convert the recipe into baker's percentages and simply scale the recipe down. (Bonus-- you now can easily scale the recipe up if you need.)

3) Figure out how much discard you lack, and covert that back into grams of flour and water you'll add to your recipe. Discard is usually not there for anything other than flavor (and perhaps some acid to help activate another leavening agent) so this is usually fine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Taima posted:

Just wanted to thank you for this post, much appreciated! You are bang on concerning the scoring, I suck at it. Which is weird, because I'm a giant knife snob and have ridiculously sharp knives at all times. But for some reason I'm just not getting a clean cut.

Use a wet blade to score if you aren't already.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Aunt Beth posted:

Do you just snake the lead for the probe out the oven door and let it transmit to the base station thing? Or is there a more elegant way that my stupid brain is missing?

Just snake the wire out of the oven door. It'll seal fine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Is it possible to have a "discard" container to be able to build it up a bit more? There's a finite amount of pancakes I can eat and I don't bake overly frequently.

Yes, it'll keep about a month before you probably don't want to use it. But I have seen some zero-waste blogs that keep a giant Tupperware of discard that gets added to and subtracted from without clean breaks and they seem ok.

To everyone with too much discard and not enough desire to eat carbs: once you have an established starter, start keeping like 20-30g of it instead of the 100-300g I bet you are keeping each feeding. You'll just have a little more build up to do to get all the starter you need for a big recipe.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
For those having trouble getting a sourdough starter going-- try this method over at The Fresh Loaf. Lots of photos, lots of comments to look through to see if someone had the same trouble and got it solved.

The Fresh Loaf is a fantastic resource, if you haven't been there yet.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sourdough double chocolate muffins

Also got a cake/bread format one still in the toaster oven. Still baking.

Used this recipe https://melissaknorris.com/sourdough-chocolate-bread-from-scratch/

It looks like the fermentation isn't strictly necessary for the rise, but I love the texture it gave the batter. Used sourdough discard, the batter was absolutely delicious. Will let you all know how they taste!

All that "fermentation for health and wellness" stuff is bullshit, right? This can't be healthy.

It is mostly BS for bread but it does break down some sugars/starches that some people are sensitive to. Not a worry for the general population. (Also fermentation like in yogurt or sauerkraut does produce some health benefits, like less lactose and more good bacteria for the yogurt and a ton of vitamin C for the sauerkraut.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, sourdough question:

At what point in the feed -> rise -> collapse cycle of the starter is the best time to actually make the bread, assuming I want a strong sourdough flavor? I saw a bunch of stuff online about how you're supposed to do it at the peak of the rise, but the last sourdough I made came out not really tasting like sourdough.

On the other hand I want the yeast to be active enough that it won't just be a sour flatbread.

edit: also what temp are you all using? I'm following a 450 degree pre heated dutch oven thing I found online. 25 min in it with the lid on, 25 min with lid off, take out to cool. My crust is coming out really thick, though.

For the sourdough, I usually do one of two things: use it just before the peak after feeding (less sour) or directly from the fridge (more sour, very slow rise, sometimes I add like an eighth of a tsp of commercial yeast if I am impatient).

If you want thinner crust, try, adding fat and cook at a lower temperature.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

How slow of a rise are you talking out of the fridge? Honestly something where I could make it and then leave it on the counter overnight until noon the next day would be kind of ideal.

And at what point in the fridge cycle? Are we talking after feeding or after it's been chilling out in there for a week, when you would normally feed again?

Slow-as-in 12-18hrs to rise, yes. So that may be just what you're looking for!

It's definitely hungry yeast-- anywhere from a day or two after feeding to a week.

Be sure your hungry starter isn't too much of the total flour weight if you want fluffy bread, though. The gluten's pretty far broken down by a week and it's not got great rise. (Still makes great sandwich bread as long as it is about 15% or less of the total flour!)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've been doing a cold-oven variant on Dutch oven baking. It works like a charm. Best crust I've ever had, great oven spring, and it means you can do the final rise in the Dutch oven, thus preserving as much loft as possible. I've done this two (three? Time has no meaning) weeks running and the results are wonderful.

https://foodbodsourdough.com/cold-oven-baking/

I have a question. The only flour I can find locally is whole wheat. How do I adjust the hydration in my sourdough loaves to compensate? I understand that bran tends to absorb water. For now I can do half and half bread flour and whole wheat, but my existing bag of bread flour won't last forever.

I bake almost exclusively whole wheat (and majority whole wheat) bread these days and I think I up the hydration about 5% for it to feel close enough to the equivalent white flour hydration?

Play around a little bit with it to get it where you want. Do give the dough like 20m to absorb the water before deciding to add more since the bran can take longer to soak it all up.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

bartlebee posted:

I have a delitainer half full of sourdough started I made using the starter from Carl Griffith’s mail away group that gifts starter. I’ve been using it on and off for several months. I’m currently feeding it, cup of flour and cup of water, and letting it ferment up next to the stove light. To gift this to someone, I’m assuming the I would just pull some and feed it the same way in a separate container and let it ferment up for a few days. Any suggestions on how much of my starter to add to the new batch and if I should do anything differently?

Yeah that works. I don't treat the offshoots (buds?) any different than the starter it came from. Just make sure it is recently fed and is growing fast before giving if the person is not experienced with sourdough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

How much starter should I be maintaining? Everyone seems to say begin with 100g flour and 100g water, and either keep at that level or maybe a small increase by feeding without discarding on the first day. But I wanted a simple loaf recipe for my first and found this one which calls for 300g starter. definitely more than I see being talked about for actually making the starter, but I realize it's quite possible to increase your starter quickly. Is it just a case of discarding 200g-ish and feed that up to 300g the previous night or something?

Also: Most recipes seem to make two loaves, there's no reason I couldn't just halve the quantities right?

Keep anywhere from 30g-300g of starter depending on how much you like baking with discard. Don't like baking with discard? Keep a smaller amount. (I have a recipe I like that takes 160g of discard, so I tend to keep enough starter on-hand to make that every weekend.)

If you need more starter, just build up to it in the feedings leading up to bake day. I find my sourdough starter works best with 2-3 days of room temp feedings prior to using it as the only leavening agent, and in that time I just increase the quantities I am feeding until I have enough for the recipe.

And yep, just halve/multiply as needed to get the number of loaves you want. If you get into recipes with baker's percentages (or bother to calculate it on your own) you can make any size and quantity of loaves you want with a little bit of math!