Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spoondick posted:

Facebook lowers worker productivity far more than legal marijuana ever could, therefore facebook should be illegal and facebook users should be thrown in jail.

Same with families and school. If I were a manager of a pizza place, those would be the first to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Warchicken posted:

I think if the federal government steps in and stops a state from doing what it's citizens lawfully voted to do, there will be serious trouble. Has the government ever done that before - forced a state to follow its laws after the state as a whole voted not to?

You can't be serious. Yes, it's happened.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 10, 2012

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

This makes no sense. You can't magic seeds out of nowhere.

You don't even need seeds. Go to that one lazy kid's house that throws his seeds out the back porch and clip a branch off one of the small plants that invariably dot his yard. Stick that poo poo into dirt and you're good.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

felidane posted:

Which boils down to if enough states want marijuana to be legal, the federal government will eventually have to cave in, or risk massive amounts of headache as soon the only people who would be enforcing any law with it would the DEA, which would over burden that organization horribly and kill it.

Uh, the federal government has rightly chosen the headache pretty drat consistently.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nm

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 2, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

goodness posted:

Is it really hard to look at the circumstances and see the obvious? Of course there is a small chance it is not because of them being assholes, but is it that big a deal? This is a comedy forum first and foremost.

It's really easy! Well, maybe it's not so easy. And if it's not easy, why should I care? Joke website!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The tar itself is different too, since you're smoking the flower instead of the leaf in the case of tobacco.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Beaters posted:

Just for the record: the old people (50s-60s) I know In Florida are on board with the prop. These aren't activist types, just people I used to know back in the old days who ended up in Florida. Don't write off the old people wholesale. Religious fucks will be the ones who kill it if anyone does.

Pensacola was never going to go for 2, but you're mistaken if you think 55 is old for Florida. Nursing homes are prime precincts and rack up the votes like nothing else.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

All I see are dildos.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Didn't see that coming.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay but lol, I don't think going to jail for growing marijuana is quite the human rights issue that going to jail for possessing it is. Not being able to grow weed is a bummer but it's not really a very big deal to not do. I don't think the lovely law is worth people being able to grow weed a little bit sooner.

You can get hosed. I risk jail time with every purchase because my connections are poo poo and I have to transport drugs in a vehicle through multiple counties. Growing at home is the much safer option for me and home-grows are the best way to dismantle a cartel, illegal or otherwise.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Sure, "plenty" of people make their own beer, what percentage of beer-drinkers do you think that is? All I can find is this lovely infographic that says 1.2 million people homebrew in the united states( http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/homebrewing-stats/ ). If 50% of US adults drink beer on occasion(I think this is an underestimate, you disagree?), we're talking easily 100 million beer drinkers, capping the homebrewing rate at 1.2%.

You are right that the risk of another ballot measure not passing in short order needs to be calculated in. Other things like that include the possible positive effects on the movement's momentum, the medical patients harmed because they'd rather suffer than break the law, etc. Passing the measure and not passing the measure both have positive and negative effects, you don't get to just shrug and go with your gut, determining the right action requires analysis.

1.2 million is a lot of people currently committing a felony over a plant. I used to be one of those people until a major scare, now I make the drive every few months.

I'm in Texas, by the way, so that may make more sense why I come from an "any progress is good progress" perspective. A system with a 1 company monopoly and $600 ounces that still allows for home grows is better than what we have now.

vv I get it, just making a direct analogy comparison.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 21, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Thanks, Paul Ryan!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

*Although apparently the coca plant is adaptable to many environments, so maybe this could happen.

Wet tropical highlands; iirc they need to be over 2000m elevation for quality product but not susceptible to freezing. I figure the furthest north coca can be grown is in Chiapas or thereabouts.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

It sounds like if you did this species https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythroxylum_novogranatense it would be doable in a greenhouse. I don't know what it would do to the quality of the cocaine though.

Oh wow, that's a way lower elevation requirement than I had read. I'm thinking maybe the alkaloid content goes up with elevation maybe??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

these are hilarious lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rHm8GbTHyE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xandu posted:

For me, if the DEA was going to crack down on anything, it'd be the sketchy quality research chemicals with no safety profile or even impure prescription drugs being shipped in from abroad.

Ironically, these are both the most protected psychoactive substances and some of the most dangerous because of the limitations of the Analog Act.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

They’re formed by my personal experience both as a mom and as someone who grew up really bothered by the drug culture that surrounded my childhood — not mine personally. I grew up in suburbia.

kill me now

DWS is literally the Tim Kreider caricature of the Democratic Party

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Who's Tim Kreider?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

counterpoint: antioxidants are bullshit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Once federal barriers for legalization start to be broken down and investors get economic confidence in the product, that "overpriced" weed will be a lot cheaper than it is right now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

When I joined SA ten years ago, TCC was calling for people who push Fentanyl as a heroin replacement to be tossed into prison because so many of their friends had died from it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joints are way less efficient than glass and kinda wasteful. They're entirely cost-prohibitive for me, but cheap, legal weed would have me rolling fatties every day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FetusSlapper posted:

It isn't like alcohol where after I drink 4 beers I enter the "gently caress yeah" phase and decide its perfectly ok to drink another 8 beers and you wake up sick and hungover the next day.

This is the main reason I smoke weed in the first place.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

There was a story today locally about how big businesses were lining up for large-scale CBD production licenses in Texas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think there would be better money selling specialized supplies to potential growers, or essentially picks and shovels to the 49ers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://news.vice.com/article/a-patent-for-cannabis-plants-is-already-a-reality-and-more-are-expected-to-follow

Phillip Morris says they're not interested.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What is the degree of genetic diversity in the more widespread strains anyways?

It's totally unregulated and always changing, so who knows. I don't trust anything anyone says and naming is more of a novelty anyway. The only way to really tell it to look at the plant itself and even then there's no way to be exact.

SedanChair posted:

Yeah "Marlboro greens" has got to be up there with "white Bics are bad luck" in the book of things-to-talk-about-when you're stoned.

I picked this up a decade ago, avoiding white lighters is one of the very few superstitious things I do.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

Across the board, drug possession is ~3% of people's worst crime convicted for.

If you're using that as a positive statistic that's loving terrifying

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What's the story about Mormons and cannabis?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah the general mood is different. Opposition isn't as fired up and while I'm not in CA I get the feeling that after Alaska, Washington, Oregon and Colorado, there's no way it fails.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

For anyone wanting a very up-to-the-minute explanation of DC weed, Fusion just put out a 1hr documentary about DC's very odd legal gray area, including the famous "Kush God" franchise with the leaf-painted cars parked on busy public streets that will accept your donation to their NGO, make you sign a waiver saying you expect nothing back, and wouldn't ya know it within a block of walking away from the car some nice stranger tends to walk up and hand you weed.

Just got back to DC after a year in Africa and cannabis is just all over the place here, but nobody seems too bothered by it.

http://fusion.net/story/304814/marijuana-washington-documentary/

When I was in Nigeria, "Indian Hemp" had a huge goddamn stigma and I had to stay on the down-low lest my reputation be ruined.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

While that's a significant difference between the two laws, even a 4-5 plant-per-household maximum would annihilate the black market.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jesus Christ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's the 60-40 poo poo, right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That guy. There's really no point in arguing with someone being maliciously disingenuous. He needs the gently caress beaten out of him.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this thread is suffering ego loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Object in mirror posted:

(objects in mirror you are a great writer. Holy poo poo. Seriously.)

:allears:

• Locked thread