Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

The new ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
I wanted something more practical then my 2006 DTS. So the main contenders were a 2008+ XC70, 2011+ Jeep GC or CTS SportWagon. Having had a few first and second gen CTS's loaners they are great to drive and don't suck down fuel like a 4 speed 06+ N* does. I tried looking at XC70's but not being familiar with Volvo's I was hesitant and 2011+ Jeep GC's most were base Laredo trim. Coming from owning 2 DTS's I want some options. So I pretty much narrowed it down to the CTS SportWagon. They are hard to find I had to drive out of state to get this one and most have the 3.0L that while adequate isn't exactly a powerhouse (its probably even worse in the new gen SRX). It's the Performance trim with the adaptive headlights and AWD and a decent BLOWS™ Navigation. Keyless Access is awesome. And the handling in FE2 trim is way better then my former Magneride equipped DTS its not even funny.

Ultimate Mango posted:

She's purrrrrrdy.

Wait, it's not the right color to be a V is it? The CTS V Wagon is the most insane and awesome thing ever and I will be sad when it dies and doesn't come back.

Thanks. Not a V.

304 raging HP from GM's do it all 3.6L DI High Feature V6. Its a great motor and coming from my DTS it can hold its own and at the top end it has way more usable power.

Mighty Horse posted:

Magnum, now the CTS Wagon.

gently caress you america, enjoy your lovely CUVs.

I think the production of the second generation CTS SportWagon has now ceased. drat shame they aren't going to continue with the third gen.

Larrymer posted:

Wasn't knocking it, they're nice cars. And the V6 is a decent engine in it's own right.

I love the V but god drat is the gas mileage terrible. I've driven a couple of them and it's a freaking rocket ship but 14/19 mpg hurts. I'd probably buy the V6 wagon before the V, sadly. :(

Coming back home hauling rear end I got 24.4 MPG. A number my Performance sedan DTS could never achieve (3.71 axle ratio). I've been averaging in the 20s driving like a mad man on a commute I routinely got 17 MPG before :smith:

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 19, 2014

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Some people have reported that the huge moon roof can be a source of noises and be a bear to diagnose. I have it and don't experience any noises but I don't like the fabric shade I prefer the solid moon roof shades. Funny enough when I ran the RPO codes it said the car had Moon Roof Delete.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

Tremek posted:

Bought it yesterday and drove it home. It's the best car. :3: '12, 32k miles, auto, Recaros, I'm the second owner. I flew down thinking it was a manual and wondering how I would be explaining this to my wife, but it turned out to be auto and That's Okay.

We are multiplying! The Recaros look so cool. Nice man. I want to find a used set.

If I had a V I'd lose my license so fast. The 3.6L is adequate enough to keep me entertained and not kill me or drain my wallet every time I fill up.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Never sat in one but my former DTS had almost pillow soft seats. I've had a few gen 2 loaners mostly base CTS's and those seats sucked. I got the heated/cooled and they are ok much better then the base but I miss the ability to angle the headrest like the DTS. I test drove a Grand Prix GXP eons ago with the suede inserts and those seats were so good.

I drive like a madman and even with AWD I still get 21 mpg on my commute.

Also not sure what they did but the Blows™ sound system sounds way better then the system I had in the DTS. Not as good as the late 90s 4.0 Bose but good enough.

You got the keyless access? Not needing keys is awesome.

The biggest insult when I got mine was no spare and the PO never put the inflator back in. So I bought a used spare that wasn't cheap but cheaper then new. I think the V can use the mini spare with a spacer.

Might get a V sway bar people say it helps. Though I have no complaints with how the car performs in Performance trim.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 22, 2014

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

This is cool.

Winter mode is now done Blizzaks don't like 70° temps. Car is a beast in the snow with the Borg Warner AWD system. I drove through snow plow berms 2 feet taller then my hood during this crazy NE winter we had and never got stuck.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

Summer mode:

Got a good deal on some 2009 CTS rims.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 6, 2015

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
They are hard to find but they are out there.

I had to get mine out of state but its been the best Cadillac I've had by far. As fast as both of my previous 2006 DTS's and can fit a 40 Gallon water heater with ease and gets better MPG even with AWD.

Also the car is excellent in the snow.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

Tremek posted:

New pads, turned rotors, and Motul RBF 600 for the -V today. Pads - for both axles - a whopping $50 delivered by Amazon Prime. Some quirk in the Matrix means pads for these big Brembos are dirt cheap.

This all in preparation for the Virginia City Hillclimb this weekend. May be the only wagon representing! Pics/cool poo poo to follow.

How big are those?

I have the J55 brakes (f-13.6" r-13.4") on my 2010 wagon and parts guy was like are these rotors for a van? I said no a station wagon.

Still find it amusing that a CTS4 tops the scales at 4300+ pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

Wasn't that the earlier non-DI ones?

GM's HF 3.6 DI or SFI from like 2007-2009 did have timing chain problems no matter what vehicle it was put in, GM did extended the warranty on that particular issue.

My 10 CTS4 Performance Sportwagon has been pretty good. The only problems I've had are a failed alternator, leaking water pump, rr wheel bearing and a bad motor mount that were all replaced under CPO warranty. It drives great and despite having a liter less displacement and weighing 350 lbs more then my former DTS and it is faster and handles like an exacto knife rather then a barge (my DTS had Magneride and it still floated comically). MPG on AWD isn't great but I can touch 24-25 MPG if I'm not driving like a mad man.

My complaints are sometimes because of the shift mapping the car feels very lackadaisical during mid range acceleration. And I dislike the fact that Cadillac after the 09 MY they deleted the option of having the G80 limited slip on the rear axle if equipped with AWD (if you got the FE3 RWD you got the G80). Sometimes the car likes wag its tail on the rear drive wheel way to much when traction is limited. The Borg Warner AWD system power split is 25/75 with the capability of transferring 100% of the power to the front axle.

I've gotten a 1st gen CTS loaner a few times and man when I brought my 2nd gen in for service the first time and they gave me a 1st gen and the interior of the 2nd gen is loving light years ahead of the 1st. If I didn't know anything about cars I wouldn't believe that the same company made both.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 11, 2015

• Locked thread