Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

But really isn't this the case with the leaders of most major religions?

Used to be I'd throw the Dalai Lama as a counterpoint, but then I found out one of the major bullet points on the office's "And While We're Dreaming We'd Also Like a Pony" list is the reestablishment of a theocratic dictatorship.

So yeah, all of them basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I do like how the revelation of Scientological(?) doctrine is done like the old Greco-Eastern mystery cults where you had to slowly get initiated into it before you learned the good news about Sol Invictus/ Dionysus/ This-a-here Snake Who I Swear Knows Him Some Secrets.

Though Scientology seems to structure these revelations more like a cross between an MLM and an MMO talent tree.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

That episode was just plain surreal. I legitimately thought Limbaugh was having a stroke during the show, at first. It was like he bet someone that he could hit the random article button on wikipedia and just do a whole show about how the result proved Obama was bad.

I must've missed this. What on earth does chopped and screwed have to do with Obama?

e. like, did he admit to liking Paul Wall or something? did obama kill pimp c??

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Who the gently caress knows? You're welcome to try to parse this poo poo yourself but I wouldn't recommend it

Ok y'know what, I'm just gonna pretend he was ranting about how Obama killed Pimp C and Nate Dogg to cover up his plan to blow up the projects because haha what the hell.

e. yes please, Rush, give the robotripping a try. I hear it can exacerbate sleep apnea. Pound a whole case you weirdo hog.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 7, 2013

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

McNerd posted:

Nothing in that quote was related to Obama.

Edit: Wow, scratch that. I think my brain just thought I was reading a different piece by the time it started talking about robotripping since there was no discernable connection.

It's like reading the transcript of a Bizarro World studio session with evil goateed John Peel.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Boy he sure gets a lot of mileage out of offending all the liberals who are not ever listening to him. I think the average viewer is imagining a balding, ponytailed man listening to the entire show, just purpling with impotent rage and kneading his WHYY tote bag.

Buncha people in this thread apparently do just that! Well, minus the tote bag and the ponytail. Then again I remember the goons.jpg thread, so lets go ahead and leave the ponytail in the mental picture.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm reminded of those short stories people were writing in LF right before the 2008 election. "There came the jangling of chains and 'grillz' as Obama and his gang of street toughs ascended the steps of the capitol. The pResident elect began to speak, while his posse popped and locked in unison behind him."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Barudak posted:

On top of that there is Taqiyya which permits you to lie about your faith to live/survive/avoid torture/whatever rather than suffer and die while pronouncing your faith. If you come upon someone and they greet you in peace you are to not harm them regardless of circumstance. Its not just crazy pills when people say things like this, its a double serving and a madness chaser.

I remember waaay back in the day when Pam Gellar found out about Taqiyya and had an absurd yearlong meltdown about how ISLAM SEZ IT'S AN ACT OF FAITH TO LIE TO INFIDELLLLLS!

Man I miss when Sadly, No didn't suck.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I love the completely straightfaced discussion over whether or not it was against protocol for the marines to hold umbrellas, as though they are logic-powered robots whose brains would implode if they were forced to violate the fourth law of marine dressware. They're so willing to blame anything, anything at all on Obama that "Did some arbitary set of rules that don't matter at all become violated, and was it his fault?" seems like something that they think is important enough to think about for more than five seconds. It really says all you need to know about whether the hard right has any opinions worth listening to.

It's a clear violation of the USMC code of conduct for our brave fightman killhavers to at any time not be engaged in activities pertaining to

1) killing
2) maintaining readiness to kill

What if North Korea had launched its invasion of America while that Marine was holding Obama's umbrella? He has compromised the mission of the armed forces of America and for that reason I demand his immediate resignation, backdated to five years ago.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I can only call it cowardice that they didn't run a painting of Ted Cruz and Louie Gohmert's twin heads popping out of the top of her blouse.

Paging Dan Lacey, Dan Lacey please report to the dittoheads thread.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

Let's get back to punching. Because this host wants you to punch in the face whoever voted for Obama:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2013/05/23/foxs-tantaros-if-you-see-any-obama-voters-today/194196

I see my vote for Stein is already paying dividends :smug:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Phone posted:

Former college republican.

I listened to his podcast for a while a few years back and never could get over just how loving broheim the dude is. He really enjoys putting his woman co-host on the spot with really awkward questions about dick-size preferences and tits etc. It got uncomfortable after a while.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It's kind of weird how invested you are in being able to use certain words.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Card and Nugent are currently plotting the overthrow of the government if this poo poo goes one step further, mark my words.

They've got the Wordpress blogs set up and ready to go as soon as they figure out who gets to be Demosthenes.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

XyloJW posted:

Last year, Zimmerman went on Hannity and answered a bunch of questions. During closing arguments today, the Hannity stuff was shown. One of the questions Hannity asked was "In retrospect, would you have done anything different?" to which Zimmerman responds "No." Also as noted above, he gives Hannity a different account of events than the one he gave the police. That looks pretty loving bad.

So good job, Hannity! Keep preserving damaging statements for the record!

Didn't Zimmerman's first lawyer ditch him because of the interview as well?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

pentyne posted:

Obama's statement essentially boiled down to "As a black man my experiences in this country are markedly different from that of a white man."

And now the right media is losing their loving mind. This is fantastic.

Are we surprised? The usual gang of cranks practically detonated over Sotomayor's "wise latina" comment.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

It's the same with all the New Atheists or whatever Dawkins/Hitchens/Harrins get called now: religion is bad, but Islam is especially bad. And of course they valiantly championed that line throughout the entire Iraq War buildup. Blood on all of their hands.

This seems like as reasonable a place as any to bring it up, but Chris Hitchens used to have a really weird intellectual tic not unlike the Ron/ Rand 5 Minute Rule. Before 9/11 he'd write articles that started out reasonable enough but would eventually veer real hard into him just being an absolute poo poo. The one that stands out most in my mind was an article about public intellectuals - he starts off strong and informative, but on like page 7 he takes a hard turn and says, not quite verbatim:

but there are problems letting the unwashed masses determine who is and isn't an intellectual. like people think this one imam is an intellectual. pfffft. why the hell is everyone talking about some loving beardhaver when they could be talking about ME ME ME ME ME

Of course, after 9/11 he stopped pretending and was just a poo poo all the time.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Spacedad posted:

Here Mr. War profiteer, put your head in this conveniently head-sized hole. There's a basket full of illicit war profits on the other side I swear.

*Swish* *Thunk*

Next.

Whoa whoa whoa, lets not go crazy here.

Guillotining is way too good for them. I'm thinking some Roman-style Punishment of the Sack is in order.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

Social engineering and central planning are imposed without end, since the governing masterminds, drunk with their own conceit and pomposity, have wild imaginations and infinite ideas for reshaping society and molding man’s nature in search of the ever elusive utopian paradise.

Pfft. Lookit this motherfucker, thinks he's Thomas Paine.

"Drunk with their own conceit and pomposity." Moo-hoo ha ha I shall commit a continuing resolution!! *thunder, lighting, etc*

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Wait so after umpteen dozen years of morons droning about the middle class and how we have to pass these tax cuts for the middle class and how government spending will hurt the middle class, suddenly the middle class is a fabrication? gently caress I have been stripped of the sole anchoring point for my perception of reality and now the world appears to me only as things happening for no reason in a vacuum.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Man this is totally going to spawn another bunch of sob-story op-eds begging us to consider the plight of the vanishing American HENRY, isn't it? Bill and Muffy are just scraping by on $300,000 a year, being forced to choose between their children's boarding school and their twice-annual vacation in Europe.

You see, America? They're just like you.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quiggy posted:

Has Obama himself even said anything? As far as I'm aware it's pretty much just been a whole bunch of people on both sides of the aisle going "hey guys not cool" and then a few people on the far right crying Godwin.

Yeah at the end of the day Obama is the president and this other guy is an idiot that gets chased by cows for a living. I somehow doubt Barry's burning down phone lines trying to put out a statement regarding A Literal Clown Lmao.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SedanChair posted:

It wasn't the fact that it was a rodeo clown, it was the fact that the announcer and another clown whipped the crowd into an orgiastic rage-cum by crooning luridly into the microphone.

That's not spooky at all, and has noooo undertones whatsoever.

No argument it's mega gross, but what really can the president say to that. Did he say anything in response to those awful zombie targets that were called, like, Not Zombie Obama for Shooting Purposes? At most, they get to have a chat and a handshake with the Secret Service. Maybe if Obama is having a really bad day and decides to go for total Nixon overdrive, they get put on a list somewhere. But actively engaging with shitheads like that doesn't really strike me as something the president does or should do.

e. I'd make an exception for active engagement if it involved Obama showing up in person and being all "hmm, I don't think I 'get' it, Bob. Do you mind explaining the joke?"

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 14, 2013

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pander posted:

What the gently caress? Is buzzfeed like the 28 year old nostalgia machine?

When its not being a Koch Bros mouthpiece.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raneman posted:

What's wrong with sending women into combat again, supposedly? Ever since we starting using muskets instead of pikes and swords women have been just about as effective as men. What's the moral or logical reason these people are proposing for not sending women into combat?

Well the leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces has a few thinks to share on that matter

quote:

If combat means living in a ditch, females have biological problems staying in a ditch for thirty days because they get infections and they don't have upper body strength. I mean, some do, but they're relatively rare. On the other hand, men are basically little piglets, you drop them in the ditch, they roll around in it, doesn't matter, you know. These things are very real. On the other hand, if combat means being on an Aegis-class cruiser managing the computer controls for twelve ships and their rockets, a female may be again dramatically better than a male who gets very, very frustrated sitting in a chair all the time because males are biologically driven to go out and hunt giraffes.

I'd find the quote from Al Franken where he accuses Newt of thinking that menstruation is an infection but I've been sitting in one place for over ten minutes now and my evopsych biotruth inhibitors are commanding me to go run down a wildebeest and kill it with a bit of sharp rock.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The obvious counter to that Rumsfeld picture is some kind of permutation of that quote about England having no natural allies, nor intractable enemies, only eternal interests.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

Glenn Beck is now a pacifist because "war is a progressive idea" and Hillary Clinton is basically Woodrow Wilson or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SILdDYqAtKQ

He's now finding that he can extend this thesis to other politicians. For example, we learn today that Mitt Romney was a progressive because he favored going to war. I bet all the radical left wingers in America are sad now that they didn't vote for noted progressive Curtis LeMay to become Vice President back in '68!

Haha, okay Beck have it your way. Words don't mean things anymore. Equinox osculatory inveterate shimp abstract.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

cafel posted:

Well the source is Pogo the classic strip by Walt Kelly. The mole is named Mole, the owl is named Owl and the turtle is named Churchy, I suppose in defiance of naming conventions. As to the context, I can't remember this from any particular point, but Mole at one point paired up with a character that was a direct stand-in for Joseph McCarthy, so that should shed some light on the characters personal politics.

:eng101: Howland Owl and Churchy LaFemme.

The mole is in fact just Mole, but he's a bit player. The arc where he teamed up with the McCarthy proxy was especially dark and iirc ended with Mole being chased through the swamp with a shotgun.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
My favorite Pogo arc was the International Geophysical Year run (the G.O. in G-O Fizzical stands for "grand ol'", y'see), where Howland meets the toddler possum that speaks in gibberish like "gxybyxxwfs", and declares by god thisahere boy talks pure math!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

radical meme posted:

Help me to decide what to think about pando. Seriously. On the one hand, it has some kind of working relationship with the guys from The Exiled and nsfwcorp but, on the other they are in an ongoing pissing match with Glenn Greenwald, which I could care less about in that it really centers on complaints against his new employer, Pierre Omidyar, who happens to also be the new employer of Matt Taibbi. I really don't care about the Omidyar hate but, some of the recent articles I've read in pandodaily seem particularly skewed with a conservative, laissez-faire bias. Does anyone else have a take on pando?

It would be nice if they went back to writing about things I could bring myself to care about instead of tech industry locker room towel-snapping. Also, as others have said already, their site is laid out like complete bullshit.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 20, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Nixon will remain vilified if only so our future crops of crooked, swinish men aspiring to be president can pretend that they arent exactly the same as him. He is far too useful as a punchline and a yardstick of political slime to ever be rehabilitated. How else will our children and their childrens' children insinuate that the current head of state is the worst thing ever? Would you condemn them to clumsy Godwining?

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 9, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Nixon was such a sad, strange, perverse creature that it would take a real crackerjack scandal to unseat him as Reptile #1. I don't know if our current media-saturated world would allow a comparable freak to rise to the presidency. Twitter alone would have cracked Dick in 30 seconds. A platform where any smarmy prick on the planet can insult the president to his face with less effort than it takes to boil water? His enemies list would run to 500 pages and been composed mostly of entries like @dogfartz.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Nixon's life was written as joint effort by Flannery O'Connor and William Shakespeare, during a very cynical time in the lives of both.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 9, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
One of these days we're going to have multiple CCW Heroes on scene at a rampage shooting, and they're going end up mistaking each other for the shooter. I propose a colored hat system be put into effect, to differentiate between Good Guys w/ Guns and Bad Guys w/ Guns.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well if you subscribe to my weekly newsletter, I'll let you in on the third hat color worn by For Serious Good Guys w/ Guns so you know who you can really trust and who is just an Agenda 21 Lizardman trying to blend in.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
This Good Guy/Bad Guy gun rhetoric is maybe one of the causes behind America's problems lately. My gun takes on moral significance when I hold it and I am become an arbiter of right. One step closer to my gat-drat china hutch and I'll work infinite justice upon you.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 10, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Beck: "Hi, I'm permabanned talk radio host liberalstomper58..."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm reasonably sure I've worked with that Saba Ahmed and she is the nicest woman on the planet.

Oh, and she's a Republican. Good job reaching out to conservatives of faith, Heritage Foundation.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Do you think she still is after today? If not, realistically what is the breaking point for someone like that?

Beats me, dude. She also got poo poo on extensively by Occupy Portland for being a rethuglican infiltrator with a problematic headscarf, so honestly if I was her I'd probably be voting straight ticket gently caress All Ya'll Party. I think in a lot of cases, party identification is pretty set in stone for people for one reason or another. Voting for someone from across the isle is one thing, but identifying as the other side is too big a step.

It makes my soul hurt that a genuinely good person is getting slapped in the face on a regular basis. Politics sucks and is lovely garbage.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The best episode of Bullshit was the one where they went after Code Pink by showing a bunch of faded hippies having a potluck and talking about stuff while Jillette had a screaming fit in voice-over. LOOK AT THESE STUPID loving ASSHOLES EATING DINNER.