Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skex posted:

Also something I've definitely noticed over my life is that what ever the GOP is accusing the Democrats of doing, you can be pretty loving sure that the GOP is actually doing that thing.

It's 'Attack their Strength' loud and proud.

:mitt: Obama has no Agenda!

:tinfoil: What about Agenda 21!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dirk Pitt posted:

What is with the "low information voters" code word? I am relatively successful, pay my fair share in taxes without complaint, and work pretty hard and still voted for Obama. Do people like me not exist in El Rushbo's world?

Classic GOP well-tainting. Now 'low information' is just a way to call someone who voted for the other guy dumb; instead of people who vote straight ticket, can't find Iraq on a map, and don't know the difference between debt and deficit.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like how he ends the video by asking for money. Does he need gold or bitcoins?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it surprising that a consumer society based on RAND game theory results in people who think money is supreme arbiter of all social exchanges and mutually assured destruction will prevent crime?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Beck and Jones essentially regard one another as tools of FEMA/ZOG whose purpose it is to take the piss out of conspiracy theorists? (Or perhaps they just regard one another as competitors for the same nuthouse)

The funny thing is that judging by the links between Jones and RT (the whole Syrian rebel/terrorist narrative conflict) he's getting funding from Russia.

Beck is a tool for local oligarchs and fanatics, Jones is a tool for Russian foreign policy. They're both right.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Classic :foxnews: framing

quote:

With six days remaining, lawmakers and President Obama face tough decisions on how to craft legislation that can muster enough votes to avoid looming tax hikes.

Because the fiscal cliff doesn't also involve spending cuts in order to reduce the DEBT and DEFICIT

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sick_Boy posted:

Can we call these type of videos "Right-Wing"? Or are they beyond partisan politics?

There's three flavors of dissent/speech, as I call them - left, right, and gonzo.

Alex Jones definitely aims at Gonzo-Right types

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AircraftNoise posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress actually takes this type of stuff as fact?

People who want to be validated. They are looking for information that confirms their fears, the conclusion is drawn before the case is made. As to why they exist? America has always had a nutter fringe, and the violent conspiracy theory is part of the American mythos (Masons, Lincoln and Kennedy Assassinations, 9/11). Jones, Coast to Coast, etc. all just feed the crazies and then sell ad space (not to mention the hits from people who get the joke).

Besides the obvious business model (ads), there's revenue in turning over violent people to the Feds, and Foreign Interests love to stir up crazies and make the US ungovernable. There is some truth that 'there is a war on for your mind'

ErIog posted:

I think as the baby-boomers die off we'll see some tilt back towards reality, but probably not by much. Media literacy even within the younger generations is shockingly low because it's not taught.

It's really no wonder why the political landscape is the way it is today.

Someone is winning the mind war. But it's not Alex Jones...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skeeter Green posted:

They are blatantly trying to incite people to form armed wacko fringe militias.

It's like a certain foreign state department is trying to incite unrest in the US based on a caricature and is covering the operating costs for these guys. I'm guessing they just come in for the paycheck/exposure.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skeeter Green posted:

Is this actually a thing with evidence and such? Google isn't bringing up much for me except other nuts accusing Alex Jones of being a Zionist plant and Infowars articles.

Like any good conspiracy theory I don't have any proof, but Infowars and RT cross reference each other all the time.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Illumination posted:

I guess Alex Jones is scheduled to be on Piers Morgan's show tonight.

The poo poo talk radio station in New Jersey was actually entertaining discussion of Chemtrails today, too. :tinfoil: Insane baby dissent is a great way to undermine intellectual dissent.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This was the first time in awhile that I have watched CNN of my own free will. It was a pretty good 15 minutes. I loved him slamming Morgan over his connection to Murdoch and then undermining it with blathering crazy. REICHSTAG FIRE

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

Seriously. The first thought that went through my head was that there is no way I want that lunatic near a gun and that all guns should be banned if an insane, mentally deranged, rage filled nutso like him can get his hands on weapons. Ranting about revolutions and whatever ridiculous poo poo.

This is the framing they were going for. The guy they had on right afterwards was saying exactly this.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ograbme posted:

A few hours later I was hearing the same phrases verbatim from some radio blowhard.

'You're an assassin now, for Videodrome. They can program you, they can play you like a video tape recorder. They can make you do what they want.'

We have a media problem, but it's far beyond video games being murder simulators.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love it.

'Videodrome' is a great movie. I'd say watching that and 'Network' give alot of insight into what the media is these days.

Some good historical insight on the media and power can also be found in the story of Cecil King and the Labor Party in the 60's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/07/every_day_is_like_sunday.html

The political system was paralyzed by economic crises and deficit-panic - sound familiar?

As for videodrome assassins, Fox News rhetoric has been tied to violence in the past: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Tiller#The_O.27Reilly_Factor

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anything that will affect the bottom line of the 1% in a way they don't like is partisan. Wow how'd that happen?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

I just turned to the Glenn Beck program on the Blaze channel... And he is debunking the Sandy Hook conspiracy point by point :stare: I literally have never agreed with anything he has said before.

'We're starting to look a little too crazy guys...'

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Crossposting this from the China thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nUkiaDS3g4

The Chinese are copying our casually hateful, internet-expression circlejerk, perception management mass media :bahgawd:

Fandyien posted:

You can watch talking points percolate from some elected official, to drudge, to Limbaugh, and then within 24 hours people are posting screeds on facebook using the exact same language.

:911: Perception Management :china:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cordyceps Headache posted:

It also made everybody scrutinize everybody else to see if they could catch them slipping up, like some sort of Orwellian nightmare where people would tattle to God instead of Big Brother. :pseudo:

'God and the Gods were apparitions of observation, judgement, punishment...God was a dream of Good Government.' - Deus Ex

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah, but he actually believes that
This is just hilarious old grandpa poo poo. This is more selling idiocy than selling hate. This is more preaching to the choir than telling people how to think and feel.

I'm not sure about that. This is marketing a very questionable version of US history to children, which shapes their thoughts and feelings going forward. Hopefully the poo poo production values mean its impact is pretty limited.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do-that? Sounds like a Statist to me :colbert:

This one is interesting:

http://www.theatlantic.com/personal/archive/2009/04/the-tea-parties/56092/

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My Statist joke made me think.

How many GOP voters in the future will be angry 'gently caress you dad' trustfund crust anarchists? The future is Paul Ryan *shudders*

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
With that report on Right Wing Terrorism there's a small chance that this is a way to bait people who think Facebook is censoring their calls for secession and assassinations.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Davethulhu posted:

So, how then were they expressed? Did people just wave their hands around and say "you know?"

God came into their minds and they spoke 21st Century American English - the one true language.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not to mention that those weapons go to the Egyptian military which he clearly supports :shepface:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zwabu posted:

I didn't know the thing you mentioned about Cenk, but I remember when Ed Schultz called Laura Ingraham an attention whore or some kind of whore or something similar, he apologized immediately and sincerely on the air.

It's because they are all attention whores.

I was on the ghost town of YTMND yesterday and found this gem:

http://blitzer.ytmnd.com/

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Serious question, why do libertarians constantly get angry about private companies when they want them to rule everything? There's no joke there, I legitimately don't get it why nearly every libertarian voice gets angry when a company does something they don't like when they tell everyone else to just suck it up.

They have an irrational 'purity' approach to the free market - just like everything else

ButtonJ posted:

Oh, I agree. The problem is, big business likes big government, and big government likes big business. Big business uses big government to protect itself from competition, and big government uses big business to fund itself.

But when you advocate for bigger government, you are necessarily advocating for big business.

'KILL THE GOVERNMENT' - AnarchoCapitalism

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I could see 'The Handmaid's Tale' becoming a reality under a President Allen West or Sarah Palin.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that was what would happen if the Religious Right did gain control of the world? That is a world when the big preachers from the 80s did gain complete power.

Something really bad would happen and the Right Wing Media would declare it to be 'God's wrath on homosexuality'.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

At least it's fun engaging them on stuff like that. "Oh, so you don't believe American Muslim terrorists should be killed? Are you part of the Occupy movement or something?"

It's really awful because it reveals what sheep they are.

I was shocked by the alAwlaki killing and the legal implications when it happened.

They are outraged now that the WH made the legal procedure a major news item.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThirdPartyView posted:

Too bad for Jack that the WWE isn't unionized and so he has no real recourse if McMahon decides to fire him at will.

So will the Tea Party wrestler adopt childish anti-union positions as seen on TPC? Or will the McMahons ignore that element of the rhetoric, protecting it from derision? This is some gold perception management.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looking forward to the death of Clear Channel.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No, Obama! Don't eat them that way.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have a chestpiece tattoo championing AM radio. What a terrible mistake :(

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/posts/YOU-THINK-YOU-ARE-A-CONSUMER-BUT-MAYBE-YOU-HAVE-BEEN-CONSUMED

Adam Curtis is staring to research HL Hunt and the end of objectivity.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I watched it now and then with my dad as a kid. The endless 'Yeltsin is a drunk' jokes shaped my politics a little.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The whole point was that Obama is a dick to Israel and Palestine still hates him and GWB was a staunch defender of Israel and Palestine still liked him more because he was respectable and Obama is a pee pee doo doo bad president.

And we can't possibly consider that over the past 13 years Palestinians figured out that America isn't that serious about any kind of resolution.

Nope, just talk about opinion polls on specific leaders.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When Obama had a presser with Netanyahu they were complimenting each other's wives and kids back and forth and Obama made a joke about it being our duty to gene pool to marry better women.

I like to imagine it was a crack on the racial supremacist/eugenic aspect of Zionism :allears:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm so glad victim and perp are equivalent when they are black. There's always more and it's always worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I recall Imus actively poking fun at the ad scripts he read.