Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone brought up "how to debate a conservative" earlier in the thread, but every time I do it, I hit a brick wall of impenetrable false information that they have accepted as abject fact and the conversation ends there. They're getting this information from somewhere and a lot of them should know better, but they don't.

This is the heart of it, I think. People keep saying that the Left does a bad job at direct personal appeals, and I think that's true. I don't know if we need to stoop to the GOP's level, but we absolutely do need to understand and counter that sheer mass of wrong information.

The right wing media seems to have mastered the art of turning lies into truths for their viewers. Even people who are otherwise quite intelligent have fallen prey to them. There are people I know and respect who somehow manage to absorb these lies as absolute truths. My own father, an incredibly intelligent man, has told me point blank that he sees Obama as a member of the radical left. It's such demonstrably false information that spreads like a miasma throughout the Republican party.

When I was a senior in high school, I was in a program devoted to studying politics and the Constitution and debating about those topics every day. We worked the polls, organized community projects, and generally devoted ourselves to being active citizenry. I got so much out of that program, and so did every participant I've ever met who went through it.

I think that if such a thing was required of all students, if everyone who went through secondary education was forced to just be active citizens for a single year, our country would be much better off. (Of course, that was the year that everyone was shrieking about pork barrel spending, which the program's funding depended on, and thus all funding to the program was cut at the end of that year.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I had a tiny smidge of respect for Megyn Kelly because she seemed like one of the scant people on Fox News who could tell Republicans to rein in the craziness once in a while, but that interview was vile, maybe I'm naive but I actually thought there would be broad condemnation across party lines aside from certain shitters like Huckabee. But no, looks like they're doubling down on the idea that the documents being leaked "illegally" and this getting brought to light is the real crime and the Duggars are the real victims.

Trotting out Josh's sisters for interview is so loving low :smith:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

gently caress, man, the student area at my graduation was swamped in giant inflatable penises that people had snuck in.

Who gives a gently caress about people having fun at high school graduation

We didn't have inflatable penises sadly but we did have beach balls and flamingos we snuck in under our robes.

Our high school was big and graduation was kind of a slog, who gives a poo poo if people want to have a bit of fun for a few seconds during the hours-long process. Be respectful of the other kids yeah- but their calling the cops is so stupidly uptight.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Xibanya posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...d44e_story.html

Head of pro-choice org is pregnant and anti-choice crazies accuse her of wearing a fake belly and don't understand why she isn't aborting since choice obviously means "must always abort."

This article is hilarious, and while the fake belly stuff seems almost absurd, I believe it considering stuff like this

quote:

And, she says, she’s gotten plenty of comments to the effect of, “ ‘Now you know what it’s like, so there’s no way you can stay in your position and continue to do this work.’ As though as soon as you get pregnant, you abandon any previous sense that you had around a woman’s right to choose to terminate a pregnancy.”

comes out all the time from the "nicer" pro-lifers. The ones who don't believe you're outright a tool of Satan for supporting abortion.

Really is bizarre though that people would assume she's faking the pregnancy. Do pro-lifers really believe all abortion activists hate children and endlessly lust for infanticide?

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I have kept myself away from here for almost 3 weeks but this recent terrorism has me coming back. I am actually somewhat surprised by Cons now saying what everyone else is saying and calling for the CSA flag to be taken down.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised too. My shriveled cynical heart is wondering if the "Take Down The Flag" thing is being used as a smokescreen, or a way people can act like they're on the side of the angels by not actually doing anything substantial. It's one thing to call for the confederate flag to be taken down, it's another to actually address the vile culture that Roof immersed himself in or do a bit of self-reflection on how conservative rhetoric plays right into this mindset.

But on the other hand I do want the drat flag to be taken down.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey you laugh but when I got on my meds suddenly I wasn't spending all day in bed mumbling about how nothing I do matters.

I've had the same response, taking antidepressants on the daily. I just had a meeting with my psychiatrist, but while I didn't have any homicidal urges to report, what happens if I suddenly get struck with the desire to go on a killing spree in the month before I next see them? :ohdear:

But seriously, acting like this was a singular "psychotic break" is ludicrous. By his own admission, he has contemplated this and planned it for months. He admitted to officers that he almost didn't go through with the act because the people at the church were so nice to him. He very clearly had the capability to think and reason about what he was doing. This wasn't a gibbering lunatic that slipped through the cracks. Roof was absolutely hosed in the head, but dismissing the case as "well, crazy is as crazy does!" is absurd, and the fact that it provides a convenient way for people to ignore the issue of where exactly the rhetoric he spouts comes from makes pushing this as a mental health case over all else absolutely shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Saw the Fox scaremongering over the video today. I should know better by now, but it still boggles a bit how the very same people I see decrying medias' jumping to the facts and 'irresponsible reporting' (in discussion of police shootings, usually) will in the same breath report dubious poo poo like this video as fact.

Sometimes I don't if the talking heads know they're just spouting bullshit for their viewers, or if they really are true believers.