Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

redshirt posted:

I'm shocked whenever a Right Wing media member fails. Surely, there is a billionaire out there somewhere willing to float him?

"Using drones is JUST AS BAD as starting a war killing thousands on bullshit grounds JUST AS BAD BUSH 2.0!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Emron posted:

Basically any time someone makes a remotely disparaging remark about a region or state, I fully expect someone to jump in within two posts and say "hey, I live there!" Multiple people comparing mild regionalism to fascism and racism is just an added D&D bonus.

I lived in lovely places most of my life and loved them dearly, but I can get why others might have a bad opinion of them. Y'all don't need to swoop to the rescue of Terra Haute or whatever anytime someone says "flyover country."

It's just small minded and ignorant, people like to talk about how North Carolina is awful and gently caress everyone in it for it's new policies but our Republican Congress/Senate did not get a majority of the votes in the the state so a majority of the state does not support what they are doing and should not be rolled into some huge insult it doesn't help anyone and diminishes the real problems.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PrinceRandom posted:

What exactly is that? My high-school econ teacher was trying to shill that at us, and I just kinda ignored him because, well, he had a rich dad and he's a libertarian pseudo-economist at best.

My GF is in a college economics test and they had a multiple choice test where the correct answer to "welfare helps it's citizens to" was "become dependent on the government and not be motivated to work" I'm starting to see why so many people believe this nonsense.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah seriously, if the words 'Bible' or 'Liberty' aren't somewhere in the title that will probably be really dissapointing.

Local community college here in Raleigh NC, her reading for the class is like a list of Libertarian propaganda, it's just a standard first level econ course that most majors have to take.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

They always portray the American College Student as some Che Guerva t-shirt wearing strawman who works at Starbucks. It's never the person going to the college of business (sup), the person getting a degree in nursing, the person looking to become an elementary school teacher, the engineer..etc

The idea of the cost of tuition doesn't ring true with them, nor does the fact there are people who have to go out and do "internships" unpaid for several months at a time to break into their field of work.

The Right Wing/Tea Party has such a bleak out look for the country as well. They offer no solutions in terms of job creation, and how to move the economy forward.

How are you supposed to recruit joe college kid with a message that they currently have? You can't.

"You are better then everyone else, all those poor people are poor because they suck compared to you and your taxes are there to support their inferiority"

This is how they catch the College republicans.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Voyager I posted:

I was born in '89, so I was a bit too young to really understand what was happening in the world when Bush won election.

Basically I'm asking for a short version of how the hell that happened.

In a 5-4 supreme court decision like many of the other awful things that happen to us.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The best private/charter school stories are the ones where they shut down overnight and all the students are screwed for that schoolyear. A wonderful lesson in the Free Market.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

NetFlix is going to kill another medium, aren't they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ukYf_xvgc

Kevin Spacey had a great speech about it.

TV as we know is going to die off, and we're going to be given the choice to stream whatever the hell we want. The final hurdle is going to be live sports, and news. (both of which are on the verge of doing that anyway). Once that's done, what are they going to have left?

I can't see shows like "Duck Dynasty", "Honey booboo", "Teen Mom" being things in this new era.

They make those shows because they are cheap to make, how much overhead does a show like "Honey booboo" cost, if anything we will see more cheap shows like that if the advertisers aren't willing to pay as much as they did on broadcast.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Phone posted:

Reading is hard. Really, really hard.

I would honestly believe if someone told me that Sarah Palin cannot read.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

computer parts posted:

Yep, it costs like $50k for a Subway franchise versus ~$1 million for a McDonald's license.

Small size and low staff requirements along with Subways popularity make it a real good choice for small business people, a large amount of the immigrants I talk to who want to start a business talk about starting with a Subway.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

beatlegs posted:

Actually they act human until a political issue comes up, at which point their eyes glaze over and something changes.

The problem with hard on Rush listeners is a you can't fart without a political issue coming up they force it into every single interaction and it is just exhausting.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

az posted:

I was going through Aqua Teen Hunger Force episodes recently and in one, Shake said this:

That's a dig at Levin right?

Fraiser!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

beatlegs posted:

It's not just FOX. The mainstream news media does this, where "some people" is a small number of rightwing politicans, ie, "Some in congress say president Obama is violating the Constitution because bla bla bla"...as if it's somehow significant, when in reality it's just a handful of ignorant wackos spouting off.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/01/28/john-boehner-threatens-president-obama-impeachment-executive-orders.html Speaker of the house a "handful of ignorant wackos" sorry but you are going to need a better example, the Republicans are very together right now and anything crazy like that they say is not because they are wacko it is because they want to win a primary.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Santorum didn't say that quote.

Hilary would have been just as awful as Obama. She's way too far out of touch to be President but if she's the nominee in 2016 she'll probably win it and we'll be bombing little brown people for peace and giving millions of dollars to the rich for the sake of the poor for another four years.

Yeah I can't imagine any position she would of been better then Obama on, remember she started the whole birther bullshit.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Time to read Zinn posted:

How influential is she really? Paul Ryan, the Koch Bros. maybe, some start-up people? And how "Randian" are those "Randians", because it probably didn't take Atlas Shrugged to convince any of those people that welfare makes people lazy.

Paul Ryan and the Koch's alone have more influence the large portions of the country, they shouldn't be used as examples.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

beatlegs posted:

It's funny, conservatives pay so much more attention to what celebrities say than liberals do. They obsess over it as the true enemy of their movement, I guess as a way of distracting themselves from the reality that they're loving wrong about everything all the time.

This is incredibly true, I never pay attention or hear about any of this crap some random celebrity says/endorse until I hear a conservative bitch about it like its the end of the world and how I need to stop worshiping these evil leftist celebrities.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Did you just use Obama as the lefts equivilant of Rush? You understand there were exactly two choices in the past elections I don't think voting for the lesser of the two evils counts as being taken in by a charismatic personality.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

usbombshell posted:

I don't know where to put this, but this seems as good of a place as any and I have to tell someone.

I am reviewing a textbook for a publisher and the authors were discussing the "knockout game" as a form of hate crime. Their citation? Breitbart.

:shepicide:

Send the book back infected with termites hopefully it'll spread.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Even if renewables can't provide all the power we need all the time, it'd be stupid not to build them and reduce the need for fossil fuels.

No one is saying that we shouldn't build any of them, someone argued that renewables could replace nuclear which they can't yet

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Attacking Democrats from the left is not right wing and it's really aggravating how many people don't understand horseshoe theory

The fact that someone can read what tabbi just wrote and consider him on the left kinda proves horseshoe theory

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fighting Trousers posted:

It's a problem for a lot of left-ish male journalists who came up in the early aughts. They were right about one thing - the horror show of the American imperial war machine and the post-9/11 surveillance state it enabled - but then when people called them out for having lovely opinions about things like race and gender, they ran screaming into the arms of the right wing where they could keep talking about the Bell Curve.

Yeah you see this often enough even around here, anyone who critical of the US is our friend no matter how horrible they are, it's a dangerous path that leads you people to supporting the worst shitheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I almost like these new "DEI" terms because its quite helpful to know the moment someone starts talking about it like its some cabal controlling the world you can write them off as a batshit racist and move on.