Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

freeedr posted:

My hometown was Amarillo, Texas. When someone made a thread titled “worst town you’ve ever been to” I did a Ctrl-f for Amarillo and knew I would find it in there (I did.) It’s a lovely meth town full of backwards, dumbass conservatives that couldn’t think their way out of a paper bag. Its a brown semi-desert with dust and not much else because it swings from 110 degrees to ten below zero like nothing. It’s super high crime and ignorant but because it’s conservative (and largely segregated by race!) right-wingers constantly tout it as a great place to raise a family. It’s one of the shittiest places that exist.

In 1998 Amarillo got a bit of fame when a local cattle rancher sued Oprah Winfrey for saying mad cow disease scared her off of beef and connecting mad cow disease transmission in cows to cannibalism. Oprah filmed there for some time while in town for the trial. This was a stupid lawsuit. Oprah met and hired Dr goddamn Phil to consult and advise on jury selection. Oprah easily won the suit. That’s how Dr Phil came to be invited onto her show and eventually get his own show. It’s Amarillo’s fault.

My dad's side of the family is from Amarillo so I can confirm this. There used to be exactly zero black people living there so every time we visited, every single family member was casually throwing around the n-word like it was nothing. Most of them had never even met a black person.

My cousins finally lost their racism when they were zoned into a high school in an area where black people actually lived. They discovered that black people are no different from white people and plenty are super cool, actually. They're now very ashamed of their childhood racism. My uncles/aunts are completely hopeless though.

Amarillo might be the actual worst place in a state that's already extremely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

loving wokes :argh:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

je1 healthcare posted:

Anyway, there's no shortage of right-wing suits and young faces to take over his seat,

White power abhors a vacuum.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Their definition of "cratered" is suspect. It's been proven multiple times that "go woke go broke" is nonsense. In the real world, "going woke" tends to lead to more business as well as better quality high-level employees. Perfect example of the saying "reality has a liberal bias."

Every time I hear a MAGA idiot repeat that mantra, it's just another reminder that they never step outside their echo chamber to see what's actually happening.

Complete intellectual and moral bankruptcy.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yuengling is the only good domestic beer. :colbert:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

OgNar posted:

Ted wants top do a full blown investigation into just why AB would use Mulvaney for marketing under the assumption that they are targetting kids.
He has an interview on Fox about it sometime today.

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1659577184405819394

After someone's daughter attempts suicide because her powerful father's anti-LGBTQ stance/rhetoric/actions make her feel unloved and unsafe in her own home, you'd think that that person would rethink his stance. At the very least you'd think that he would dial down his performative outrage directed at literally every single gay and/or non-cisgender person who dares to exist.

Not our Ted! Evil gently caress doesn't care about his own daughter or gun violence victims or anyone else other than himself. Gotta fire up that Republican base!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

A de facto ban is still a ban.

When you cede ground by saying "well, they're correct in saying that it's technically not a ban, but..." then you're undermining your own argument before you've even made it. Controlling the language is an important part of controlling the entire narrative. Regressives are well aware of this and have become very very good at it.

Ceding ground on language is why the regressive position on abortion rights is more commonly called "pro-life" rather than "anti-choice." By getting everyone to use the verbiage "life" and "baby/child" and "mother" they've successfully managed to frame the debate around the "rights" of the fetus rather than the rights of the woman.

What they're doing is a book ban. It just is. Their motive is extremely clear and they need to be called out for it. It's not a good idea to get bogged down in the specifics of language. By doing so you are, in fact, rules lawyering for the fascists. You're clearly not doing it intentionally, but you are doing it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

They're already throwing a shitfit over it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

You guys don't understand. It's always acceptable to murder those people. You know who I mean. It's admirable, even. Really it's the only moral thing to do, if you think about it. Decent people should never have to feel uncomfortable. Summary vigilante executions are a valuable public service.

It's like a citizen's arrest but with murder. A citizen's execution, if you will. That's just justice, right?

...! fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 17, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

It's funny, I don't think the AAVE origins of "woke" even occur to the people furious about it anymore, although I think on a subconscious level it contributes to people's hatred of fear of the idea.

It's like a dog whistle embedded in a megaphone.

The origin of the way the word is used by conservatives today is when white supremacists purposely appropriated it to:

1. Trigger the blacks, and:

2. Mock AAVE in general and give all of it negative connotations in people's minds.

The entire point of its use is racism.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

And they're also good at coming up with innocuous-sounding dogwhistles like "it's OK to be white." Most people aren't going to recognize the racist intent behind its use and will think that people who get triggered by it are overly sensitive and/or trying to get people to think of nearly anything as racist. It's insidious.

They've always recognized that language is important and have perfected how to exploit it. As I've said before, a lot of the abortion debate is affected by the way that regressives have successfully managed to frame the debate around words like "life"/"mother"/"baby".

They're even using the technical term "fetal heartbeat" in an extremely misleading manner to make people believe it means something it doesn't. And they're almost never challenged on it. People need to call it out more.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Wow, they're not even trying to hide their racism. From the review for Elemental:

quote:

The film’s main conflict is that, while the earth, wind, and water folks all live together in relative harmony in the wealthy part of town, the fire folk are treated as second-class citizens and are largely segregated from the others, going so far as to have an entire borough (made of brick) to themselves. The inherent problem in this hamfisted anti-bigotry metaphor is that fire is one of the most destructive natural forces known to man, and in Elemental, it is shown to be the case as well.

In one of the film’s many repeated gags, the main character tends to explode like living napalm when she gets frustrated, causing considerable damage to everything within a 30-foot radius. Furthermore, there are numerous instances of firepeople accidentally and intentionally incinerating or otherwise damaging property and even people. In one scene, Ember tells Wade of a time when a racist security guard wouldn’t let her father and her into a museum, saying, “But they said our fire was too dangerous and wouldn’t let us in.” Um, yeah… you’re made of fire. It seems more than reasonable to be cautious of an entire group of people who could kill you if one stubs his toe, let alone is shown to incinerate property with a thought.

quote:

Elemental is the perfect metaphor for Leftist views of diversity. Here you have a mostly peaceful and cohesive society filled with a diverse group of people from completely different backgrounds and cultures. Then, on the other side of town is a relatively small group of people who are literally made of a deadly and dangerous substance with the ability to destroy everything around them just by getting too upset or even accidentally touching someone. Yet, the movie wants to preach that three-fourths of the society is bigoted for wanting to be cautious around them.

:stare:

...! fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 24, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Panfilo posted:

I thought he was equivocating Muslims to fire people what with the "they blow stuff up when they lose their temper".

Huh, I saw it as more "Black people are angry and violent and will riot and burn down cities at the slightest provocation."

I guess it works on multiple levels!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

God drat, these people are miserable. If this is what faith in Christ looks like, they can keep it.

Many (if not most) Christians aren't like that. They tend to concern themselves with Jesus' instructions to love everyone and judge no one, etc. Unfortunately, many extremely large subgroups (like Catholics and Southern Baptists) are more interested in twisting their interpretation in order to justify demonizing the Other and confirm their preexisting hatred for certain groups of people. And they tend to be much louder than other Christians.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The "biological male" phrase says a lot about who actually sent this and who the actual intended recipient is.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

What do the other 55% identify as? Am I not reading that graph correctly?

The other 55% is undecided. So they're making a far bigger deal out of this than it actually is.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

E: wrong thread

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think there’s one weird trick employers have where they don’t have to tell you why you’re fired. Most of the time you’re technically an independent contractor anyway so they don’t need to give you benefits.

That's mainly in right-to-work states, where by law an employer may fire you for any reason or no reason.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I think he very much wanted to call out a different group of people than "women"

Also, in the never ending tradition of conservatives bitching about things that want and actually get

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fox-news-pundit-hypocrisy-hunter-223937512.html

"Why can't David Weiss be appointed special counsel?"

weeks later:

"David Weiss is the last person who should be special counsel"

Ted Cruz and Marsha Blackburn did the exact same thing. They demanded that Weiss be appointed special counsel and now they're bitching about him incessantly on Twitter.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1690731035300868096
https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1690739093364207616

...!
Oct 5, 2003

It was bad enough that Twitter bosses were summoned before the Australian parliament to explain themselves. They behaved about like you'd expect Elon's employees to behave.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/aug/10/twitter-x-restores-unbans-account-shared-child-abuse-material

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Literally all sex between slaves and their owners should be considered rape. They weren't exactly in a position where they could say no.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Seems pretty clear that it's a joke?

That would imply that someone at Fox News has a sense of humor.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I first learned the phrase on School House Rocks when I was a kid and it was presented in a positive light. Everyone conforms a little but brings all their cool culture and food and dances and stuff here and we can learn from those things and hang out and get along

Then before the pandemic I definitely saw people on this forum talk about how the phrase is racist and now it means "everyone must speak English and act white" and now I guess the old meaning has been restored?

Edit: oh ok thanks

It's pretty much this.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

same here. just found out about her today. though now we might be hearing a lot from her

Really? Just about every news organization there is heavily reported on her right after the insurrection. She was one of the instrumental Oathkeepers on the ground.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

oh yeah? weird. i MAY have heard about her as probably some random trans MAGA dipshit who got caught up in j6 (which would still be funny on its own), but i didn't know she was an oathkeeper as well. nice to see even extremist gun nut groups engage in diversity hiring as well :unsmith:

anyway, in other news, the Fresh and Fit podcast got permanently demonitized on youtube and Myron (Fit) was so devastated he literally left his studio crying (in his underwear) while still filming :lmao:

She was actually one of the Oathkeeper leaders until she denounced them during her trial. She's now trying to actually use her struggles with being trans as a defense against her charges, saying that that's what drove her to right wing militancy and belief in conspiracy theories. Yeah.

Diversity hire indeed.

Edit: I think (don't quote me on this) I remember reading that she joined well before she realized she was a woman and by the time she started transitioning she was much too entrenched in their operations for them to easily oust her. So they essentially had to refer to her as "one of the good ones" but I'm sure a lot of the rank and file would have eagerly killed her if they thought they could get away with it.

...! fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 25, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Name Change posted:

Also recall Evanescence exploding in popularity when they were new because conservatives thought it was one of the several barely-coded Christian rock bands that were having a moment.

Yeah, it really pissed Amy Lee off, too. She had an interview where she said something like "we are not a loving Christian band in any way and I really wish those idiots would stop pushing this poo poo." You'd better believe all the Christian bookstores pulled their CD real quick after that. :allears:

Even actual Christian musicians aren't immune. Jennifer Knapp was a much beloved singer/songwriter in the Christian community riiiiiiight up until she came out of the closet. Her label immediately dropped her, the Christian bookstores pulled her CDs, the Christian radio stations stopped playing her songs and everyone involved denounced her as a sinner and not a True Christian. She's gone secular and is really good.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, I clearly remember my church loudly rejoicing that Alice had "seen the light" and become a Christian when I was a preteen. "He even teaches a Sunday School class!"

That was over three decades ago.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Disco Godfather posted:

He seems like a "I don't care if you're black or white or brown or purple or blue" guy

"Unless you're purple because you're choking. Then I'll help you out."

RIP in peace, Mitch Hedberg

...!
Oct 5, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

So can we now officially say Tucker has lost his mind? Like, there's nowhere to go from here, but Eastern Europe to become Orban's media guy or something.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12462821/Tucker-Carlson-Barack-Obama-gay-sex-crack.html

This is far from the first time he's slobbered all over Orban. He even filmed his show in Hungary for an entire week at least once, and spent every minute of it talking about how great Orban is and how the US should model the country off of how he's run Hungary.

He lost his mind a long drat time ago, if he ever had one.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

the moose posted:

Is this another one of those words were they want to say jews but know it will get them in trouble?

What does your heart tell you?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

If true, this seems about right.

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1705157558590169494?s=20

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The nomination wouldn't surprise me given that the lunatics are running the asylum and for some dumb reason literally anyone can be Speaker of the House, not just representatives.

What would surprise me would be them scrounging up enough votes to confirm him. I might be naive but I'm pretty sure there are enough Republicans who are just sane enough to block the nomination.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why do rural people go for trump? I kind of thought it was because rural communities develop a culture of contempt for perceived weakness and see things like unions or policies to help the poor as invitations for people to announce that they’re weak.

Rural communities tend to be extremely conservative, much like most big cities trend liberal.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

William Bear posted:

There's nothing like the Canadian Residential School system to make the world's worst people write the most odious stuff.

(From what I can tell from reliable sources, while it's true that I don't think graves were ever unmarked from the beginning, there was astonishing racism and neglect involved at every level of the residential system. Children were abused with harsh discipline intended to forcibly assimilate them, schools were so unconcerned with their well-being that native children had a double or triple rate of tuberculosis death than white Canadians, and there was little care or funding for ensuring that dead children had dignified, maintained gravesites. Native Canadian leaders were consistent in these points going back years.)

Every paragraph of this has something false or morally disgusting.

https://crisismagazine.com/opinion/trudeaus-empty-graves

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1717357273993867639

Literally anything is a better solution to gun violence than gun control, apparently.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Don't sell yourself short, I'm pretty sure most of us could get around this kind of flailing:

And he says this is a much better way of controlling mass shooters than even the slightest bit of gun control. Just absolutely delusional.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I mean, it was an impressive wall of text.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

It's an impressive wall of text making a completely unrelated set of claims to their previous wall of text, pretending that their previous wall of text didn't exist and ignoring all refutations or interrogations of it.

I was admiring its size, not its content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The Islamic Shock posted:

That Last Week Tonight had me remembering how abortion bans make it so women can't have one for a stillbirth, then it had me wondering if the laws are made that way either out of just not caring about nuance or if it's straight-up to punish women for having sex since aborting a dead baby obviously doesn't do poo poo to protect babies. Then I remembered who writes these laws so now I'm wondering, how do we make them admit it's the latter? Seems the usual responses are a mix of "oh yeah that's a good point I'll totally look into that" and "well a miracle could happen to carry the baby to term, yes I am saying our laws need to be written in ways that account for divine intervention but only in this very specific case for some reason".

Edit: why would God need to have laws written around His hypothetical desire to do specific miracles anyway, if God wants a stillborn child to come to term and will use a miracle to make it happen ain't poo poo the legal status of abortion or anything else can do to stop it

Abortion laws are entirely about punishing/controlling women. That's it. Usually the "wrong" kind of women and/or "sluts."