Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I love how the Republican response to their profound asswhooping by every growing minority demographic in the US is to call those demographics stupid, greedy children.

They really never want to win a national election again

I want to feel that way but one thing I've learned is Americans have short memories and are easily led by media narratives. I hope that people don't forget how the rightwing media is openly demonizing Obama voters right now but I don't have a lot of faith we will remember in four years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Walter posted:

But is Rush really all that charismatic, when you get right down to it? How many people is he winning over with his rhetoric?

It's entirely possible it's just the area I live in (northwest Louisiana) but Rush is practically sacred around here. My circle is fairly liberal but their families are anything but. During the Sandra Fluke debacle my old roommate's mother for example did the most amazing gymnastics I've ever seen to defend Rush and deflect criticism onto anyone and everything else. She wasn't the only one of course, but she really stood out because otherwise she's really sweet and caring. It blew my mind she could feel the way she did about such an awful man. Rush is very charismatic when speaking to the right crowd; that's why he and his influence is so scary.

EDIT: On a similar topic, I still have trouble convincing people that Fox News isn't "just another news channel". I work in IT and it seems that industry attracts a lot of just-worlders and libertarians. A good buddy of mine just plainly will not believe stuff like Jane Akre's case actually happened, regardless of what he's shown. He really believes it's just a new channel reporting news. You can't really reason with people like that. FNC and the conservative media complex know what they are doing and how to appeal to people like my buddy.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 8, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crasscrab posted:

:psyduck: Jesus Christ these people are insane. Yes, Obama staged this whole thing instead of going out to a shooting range and popping off a few shots at some clay pigeons! Obama is physically incapable of picking up a shotgun, readying, aiming, and firing it at a disk made of clay being flung into the air. Just can't do it!

I half wonder what it feels like to have such a need to have that "special knowledge" that everything is a conspiracy and nothing is what it seems. I'm glad I don't, of course, but it must be exhausting to read nefarious doings into every mundane thing in life.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

It is everything that Obummer does that is evil and nefarious. Since he is an evil genius and also a complete idiot. It gets confusing sometimes.

They've really built themselves into an emotional frenzy over Obama. Rhetoric is realty and they are so upset about so many things, their view of him doesn't really make any sense anymore. He's just everything evil and bad about the world rolled into one man. The simplicity of their reasoning is really frightening. I've lost a few friends over it myself; friends that, up until recently were pretty laid back and cool people. Now I can't talk to them anymore thanks to the implicit threats of violence because I don't agree with them. If I were more like them I suppose I'd think something is in the water.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Not Right Wing media exactly but this made me do a double take. My wife and I were driving the other day and she decided it was time to cancel our OnStar account. So she hits the button, goes through their spiel and gets to the point where she is asked why we are cancelling. She mentions it's just a cost we don't feel like paying and the guy says out of nowhere "Are you cancelling because of Obamacare?". I had been silent through the call but I did a double take and just started laughing. The guy seemed offended and said "Well, we've just been getting a LOT of calls about that." and rushed us through the process.

It was strange - I didn't know if he was sharing his political views and lost the gamble or if he really was getting lots of "Obamacare cancellations". I was a little rankled that he called it Obamacare but he might have just done it because that's what the media calls it, and thus his customers. It felt like we were on the cusp of having a Right Wing argument with a call center guy though. Just a really weird conversation overall.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Radish posted:

If she could feel shame I bet that would be really, really embarrassing.

That's the thing - there is no shame in being wrong for these people. What matters is she took a swing for her team and win or lose, she's a good guy. It's pandering to idiots, for idiots. There are no consequences for what the Right does. Credibility does not matter to them and it's maddening.

It's like when you hear these GOPshitthatdidnthappen.txt stories and confront it with facts or disprove whatever, the response is always "Well it was just a nice story" or something similar.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

This was my reaction on reading about that. I can't believe how unrelentingly out of touch people with that attitude are. My grandparents could pay their way through college flipping burgers. I couldn't buy books for half a semester on a burger-flipper's salary.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

THE GAYEST APPAREL posted:

I talked to a guy who totally agreed wages should go up but not to $15 because then people who didn't go to college would be making the same as him. That was his entire justification.

I think on the whole that'a valid point, but maybe not the way that guy meant it. Wages should be sliding up across the board but they aren't and have been stagnant for a long time. Given the cost of college these days I absolutely am on board with grads also making more money.

EDIT: I don't mean his statement that minimum wage shouldn't slide up that much was a valid point, but that he should have been making more money as well, just to be clear.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How was the district spokesperson's response anything but "the nutrition director has been let go and we have issued apologies to the families affected by this."

Man, Utah, two steps forward and three steps back.

Somehow I still let myself be surprised that we live in a country where "Kids need to eat lunch" can be made into a controversial statement. gently caress these administrators so loving hard.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Vertical Lime posted:

I view his legacy as how Xena became a bigger deal than him

For that matter, so did Young Hercules.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Notorious QIG posted:

:psyduck:

How do you not understand that it is hypocritical to say both "I believe that gay marriage should be legal" and "I disapprove of your marriage because it is a gay marriage"?

One can personally be against something and not feel the need to legislate against it for the rest of society.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

joeburz posted:

The fact that Kerry was successfully trashed for his service is something I will never fully understand.

It's more understandable when you realize that Conservatives only 'care' about Are Troops when they play for their team (and usually not even then!). The rest aren't Are Troops so gently caress 'em.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr Interweb posted:

I've mentioned this back in June, but we now have yet another month where job growth was pretty stellar. What's been the Republican excuse for that, despite the long enacted Obama job killing tax hikes and regulations?

Their response is to finally embrace the U6 and claim unemployment is over 12%. Which isn't exactly wrong but it's a hell of a time for them to look at real unemployment.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

computer parts posted:

Kebabs are not as wide spread as you think they are.

In the U.S.? I've lived all over and I've never lived in a place where Kebabs weren't a thing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I needed to know cursive during my title research days as old documents are frequently written entirely that way. It's not totally useless but the vast majority of people don't really need to know it, no.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Completely out of touch with reality. That might be true if there were a surplus of jobs but last I checked, that isn't the case.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Skex posted:

Yeah gotta love how the "greatest generation" (was more the one before them but why quibble) left all these great rope ladders to success and prosperity which the boomers happily clambered up then when they reached the top turned around and cut the ropes behind them.

They then proceed to forget that the very idea of moving out of our parent's house and buying their own is really a social dynamic that only really existed for their own generation and slam the following ones for not accomplishing the same with out those same advantages they were given. For most of human existence multi-generational homes were pretty much standard fair. We only really managed to move out of that model for an extremely short period of time thanks primarily to those rope ladders to success that they've spent their twilight years dismantling.

I'll never get over how self-indulgent all that Greatest Generation talk is. Yeah, your generation is so loving great for taking one of the greatest periods of prosperity in this country, the world even, and flushing it down the toilet. Thanks for leveraging all our futures and salting the earth behind you for everyone who comes after, assholes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HEY GAL posted:

That's the Boomers, the Greatest Generation is the one that fought WW2.

Oh I didn't realize there was a difference. gently caress the boomers then. Sorry to get off track.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tender Bender posted:

I spent much of grade school in Texas and until recently I genuinely thought the Civil War was about State's Rights and that the whole slavery thing was just a popular modern misconception.

I was born in Michigan and went to school there til I was about 14, then moved to Louisiana. I heard that a lot down here and my response was "yes, the state's right to do.... what?" It is (or was 20 years ago) a very different curriculum between areas.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Even mechanics suck at making car analogies!

I hope this is like the dying gasp of this regressive attitude.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's totally cool to call that guy a total dumbass for his politcal beliefs directly contributing to his condition but I'd rather use it as a reason we need UHC rather than wish for his pain and eventual death. People are bad at assessing risk and making decisions and he's a prime example of that. We need safety nets for everyone, smart and stupid. Especially stupid.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

VideoTapir posted:

How many times has he gone bankrupt?

Four, I believe.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Flaggy posted:

How is this even remotely close to a thread to democracy?

It's not a 5-4 decision without Scalia having a word-salad temper tantrum.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Goddamn you can smell the insecurity for miles. Look at that picture next to those words. Just look at it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golly, I guess that's between you and the government, isn't it?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It is like a really good high that does not go away

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/26/scotus-declares-itself-god-redefines-marriage-and-rights/

[quote]
But in the idolatry of the left, we do not have the freedom to govern ourselves, nor even to rely the old God for our values and truths. Our betters will lead us. And they will grant any right they see fit, and reject any liberty they see fit, and redefine any term they see fit. Democracy in America did not die with jackboots; it died with the boredom and stupidity of an American people complicit in its demise, celebrating the circuses and the games provided by its new rulers, fat and happy in their submission. Let the parades be held; let the call go forth.[b] By the power vested in them by, well, them, the Supreme Court and the left declare Americans husbands and husbands, wives and wives — and all of them slaves.[/b

I'm starting to think these people don't actually know what the Supreme Court is and what it's for!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
And that Marine's name was Albert Einstein.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crowsbeak posted:

So according to Gawker the MRA-dark enlightenment types are having a tantrum over some dumb nick kidcom. Because the black co-creator at one point did racey nc-17 poo poo.
http://internet.gawker.com/internet-racists-are-obsessed-with-nickelodeons-show-ab-1716108536
Here is one of their rants

I do love how they whine all the time about "tumblerinas" but they engage in some of the most whiny activities out there, like complaining over a little girls show. (Yes I am aware that many of these men are bronies).

I wonder if they understand how unhinged they seem to anyone not a part of their movement.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

"You're not real news" shouldn't be a controversial statement for Fox since they argued that very thing in court during the Jane Akre trial.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ben Shapiro is pressing charges

Oh boo-hoo, sorry Tur wasn't politically correct enough for you you whiny poo poo.

These people are incredible cowards.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 17, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Yes, yes I suppose all of that would be entirely rational if the entire movement against PP wasn't based on boldfaced lies.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think the term "Hero" is thrown around so much it doesn't really have any meaning anymore, but denigrating someone for being captured and tortured is monstrous.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is that really a battle they want to fight after Cotton and his ilk went around the process with their letter to Iran saying "DON'T TRUST THE PRESIDENT"?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What the gently caress does #LwC mean

Louder with Crowder. Self promotion, basically.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crabtree posted:

Maybe we can see the real Trump if we actually asked him difficult questions and demand detailed answer to them like how he'll deal with continued resistance against legalized Gay Marriage. See if we could get him to finally say something that would offend his audience when he isn't the king of the clown carnival. Instead, thanks to the numbers from the debate, this is what we can expect from any future debate involving Trump.

That's hysterical and I love it. Is that the Running Man music playing during the Slurpee Challenge?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

So what's in the video?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I'm late to the party but please never stop. This is amazing. I swear it could be straight up Shake dialog from any given episode.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Keeshhound posted:

She's already out.

What? Did she decide to issue licenses?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dabir posted:

Remember when that massive former NFL star wrote a blog article calling all Gamergaters pussies and didn't get a single death threat cause he was right?

Chris Kluwe who is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The one who hates Blacks

Wait gently caress that doesn't narrow it down

Maybe they can use actual Hulk Hogan.