Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Maybe he did or didn't, but if you saw a bunch of white dudes kicking the poo poo out of a guy there would undoubtedly be less impulse to frame it as random or the knockout game or whatever stupidity.

If I see a bunch of people chasing and then kicking the poo poo out of a lone, low-wage service employee then my impulse is that they're assholes who probably deserve to be arrested. I'd say the same thing if the races were reversed.

I'm not sure what you think he could have done to deserve getting knocked to the ground and kicked in the head after trying to run away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Maybe he did or didn't, but if you saw a bunch of white dudes kicking the poo poo out of a guy there would undoubtedly be less impulse to frame it as random or the knockout game or whatever stupidity.

Frankly I'd assume they were cops.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Good Citizen posted:

I'm not sure what you think he could have done to deserve getting knocked to the ground and kicked in the head after trying to run away?

Maybe he said something lewd to somone's little sister? I don't know dude, try backing up and reading what I wrote before you burden me with constructing a useless hypothetical. It's kinda dumb to look at this single video of a dude getting whipped out of context and declare it random violence, most likely because the people doing violence are black and there is a tendency in the media to frame black folks as natural impulse killers.

http://www.theonion.com/video/judge-rules-white-girl-will-be-tried-as-black-adul,18896/

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 8, 2014

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

We don't have to defend anything, I'm just questioning the assumption that black people just sort of glitch out and start doing unprovoked violence to whites like daleks or something. For all we know that Kroger employee deserved it.

Also this will certainly be used as an example of the downfall of society or how millenials have no morals or something when I lament every day that we didn't instantly accessible recording in the 1920's to watch drunken white sailors beat the piss out of each other in the streets. Less-frequent violence with more-frequent documentation tricks too many people into thinking that violence is happening more often.

Because of the interview the victim gave afterwards. I understand wanting to give people the benefit of a doubt but drat you take it a bit far.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Maybe he said something lewd to somone's little sister? I don't know dude, try backing up and reading what I wrote before you burden me with constructing a useless hypothetical. It's kinda dumb to look at this single video of a dude getting whipped out of context and declare it random violence, most likely because the people doing violence are black and there is a tendency in the media to frame black folks as natural impulse killers.

http://www.theonion.com/video/judge-rules-white-girl-will-be-tried-as-black-adul,18896/

I think the video of the act speaks more about the inhumanity of people in large groups than it does to some uniquely black characteristic but whatever dude. Im sure there's a rational explanation for those guys kicking a downed man in the head.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

I think the video of the act speaks more about the inhumanity of people in large groups than it does to some uniquely black characteristic

I am glad most Americans are so reasonable.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Good Citizen posted:

I think the video of the act speaks more about the inhumanity of people in large groups than it does to some uniquely black characteristic but whatever dude. Im sure there's a rational explanation for those guys kicking a downed man in the head.

Thank you for confirming that you don't think black people are inherently animalistic. I was wondering this about you. That's one down, 300 million to go.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Not by me. I think it'd be pretty hosed up.

Maybe he said something lewd to someone's little sister?

Oh. Let's curb stomp him then. I get what you're saying and even said as much but short of pulling out a gun or threatening to detonate a bomb in the store, it's difficult for me to see how the crowd's response wasn't just a tad heavy handed. I'm having a hard time watching that video and seeing it as "concerned citizens apprehend suspected child molester".

The thing that got to me was how funny everyone seemed to think it was. You don't have to bend over backwards to excuse it just because the people doing the beating were black.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
According to this witness/article all sorts of folks got beat up no matter their skin color:
http://wreg.com/2014/09/07/witness-reacts-to-violent-attack-at-kroger/

quote:

The shaky witness video is gaining shares on social media by the minute with angry comments questioning if this is a racially charged hate crime.

In this clip you see several black teenagers beating one white teen.

But the witness says this clip is just a tiny snapshot of what happened in the entire parking lot. He states, blacks, whites, girls and boys were all part of the vicious pack.

“Were all of the victims white?” asked WREG’s Elise Preston.

“No, they were black and white. Will is white, Brian is black. and then my other friend, Brandon, he`s black as well,” replied the witness.

News Channel 3 slowed down the video and noticed the security guard is dragging a black teen away from the crowd.

The witness identified that teen as another Kroger employee knocked unconscious after he tried to stop the mob from attacking customers.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
popular thug drinks sides with and excuses a bash mob based on their skin color but hes got a bunch of reasons for why this isn't hosed up and boy are they going to make you look like a bad guy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that got to me was how funny everyone seemed to think it was. You don't have to bend over backwards to excuse it just because the people doing the beating were black.

I don't think you understand my argument at all, but that's ok. God bless.

Miltank posted:

popular thug drinks sides with and excuses a bash mob based on their skin color but hes got a bunch of reasons for why this isn't hosed up and boy are they going to make you look like a bad guy.

I think you mean Knockout Game, the newest example of moral decay from our tragically multicultural society.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Maybe trayvon was talking poo poo on ZMan's kin? Ever consider that? We just don't know enough of the facts here to assume there was a racial element!

e:^poo poo man i'll use whatever word you want for a group of dudes beating the poo poo outta someone while they are trying to get away.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 8, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hey look, everyone. James O'Keefe!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Hall-Fame.html

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

your argument is that video of a white teens beating a black guy wouldn't spark outrage and i reject this claim

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
^^^
Wouldn't spark the same outrage.

Axetrain posted:

I got something similar in high school where someone came in and tried to explain to us how sweatshops in Asia are good because they give people jobs and they would have nothing else in their lives anyway if not for the benevolent corporations. I didn't think of it at the time because I wasn't politically aware yet but looking back it was blatant corporate apologist garbage.

I had this. Except it wasn't people but children, and it wasn't nothing else but prostitution, and it wasn't someone in high school but a university lecturer during a business ethics class.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 8, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
and his name was Murray Rothbard.

Is O'Keefe advocating constant government surveillance or does he somehow think we could selectively apply it to Ebola infected jihadis with bags of ricin motorboating to the Rock and Roll hall of fame? The border security thing always goes over my head, because if it isn't simply finding some poo poo to blame Obama for, when in American history has the border been more secure? We have flying robot cameras with night-vision now for Christ's sake.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 8, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

quote:

Conservative Dr. Ben Carson on Monday said that people should hold off on their criticism of Ray Rice, who was dropped from the Baltimore Ravens on Monday months after he was indicted for allegedly punching his then-fiancee.

"I'm hopeful that they will get some help for him. Obviously, anyone who would do something like that needs some help," Carson said when Newsmax TV's Steve Malzberg asked about Rice, according to a Mediaite recording.

"Let's not all jump on the bandwagon of demonizing this guy. He obviously has some real problems. And his wife obviously knows that because she subsequently married him," Carson continued.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ben-carson-stop-demonizing-ray-rice

quote:

Responding to the video, Fox host Brian Kilmeade on Monday blasted the victims of domestic violence, criticizing Palmer (now Janay Rice) and other women who don’t break up with their partner after a domestic violence incident, saying they send a “terrible message.”

Kilmeade then proceeded to provide mocking advice to Palmer, quipping, “I think the message is, take the stairs.” Co-host Steve Doocey gamely joined in, “The message is, when you’re in an elevator, there’s a camera.”

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/09/08/3564605/fox-mocks-ray-rice-victim/

Conservatives: it's okay to be a good person. Really. You don't have to reflexively take the lovely, sociopathic side of any given issue just because some liberals may take the other side. There's really nothing wrong with being a decent human being. Honest.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I wish Mike Polk Jr. would make a video lampooning this all.

There's seriously a joke in all of those about "Poisoning" Lake Erie. I'm just not clever enough to make it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

beatlegs posted:

Conservatives: it's okay to be a good person. Really. You don't have to reflexively take the lovely, sociopathic side of any given issue just because some liberals may take the other side. There's really nothing wrong with being a decent human being. Honest.

They don't even realize that even polite society allows MRA dipshits to get into the lovely "well she married him afterwards/she started it/that poor guy" discussion as long as you put up some kind of disclaimer like "look the guys a major piece of poo poo but..." but no, FOX needs to go full bore into it lest someone mistake them for human beings.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

^^^
Wouldn't spark the same outrage.

I think it would. Maybe not amongst the FOX crowd but it might even spark more outrage in certain ways. It would outrage me either way so maybe I'm basing it on that.

What do you think I missed?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They don't even realize that even polite society allows MRA dipshits to get into the lovely "well she married him afterwards/she started it/that poor guy" discussion as long as you put up some kind of disclaimer like "look the guys a major piece of poo poo but..." but no, FOX needs to go full bore into it lest someone mistake them for human beings.

It must be hard for FOX and Rush to approach a story like this. On the one hand, Rice is a ni...black male so he's guilty of everything. On the other hand, he's rich so he must be less guilty of the same things a poor person might do. On the third hand, "bitches are crazy, am I right?" Read the comments on these articles. Or don't, actually.

Their brains must become pretzels as they try to determine whether or not be racist, classist or misogynist. The only thing that could make this better is if it turns out that Rice is a closeted gay man, a veteran who smokes pot, votes Republican, owns several guns and denounces global warming. Just to see which way "Huge strong man punches woman in face" can be spun.

What I'm trying to say is gently caress Ray Rice and anyone that defends him.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 8, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

edit: DP

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do any of these people have quotes regarding their feelings about Hillary staying with Bill after he cheated?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wish Mike Polk Jr. would make a video lampooning this all.

There's seriously a joke in all of those about "Poisoning" Lake Erie. I'm just not clever enough to make it.

Nah, the joke is the part where O'Keefe and some British newspaper think anyone gives a poo poo about Cleveland or the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Speaking of minimum wage, Tom Ashbrook had an awesome caller last Friday.

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/09/05/nato-isis-europe-russia-congress

Go to 30 minutes and 30 seconds in for the guy in Georgia. Dude is exactly what we're dealing with when it comes to people angry about the fast food strikers. My sister is the same way, and she happens to be an EMT as well (also still in college). Since she's only making around $10/hr and has spent so many years in school, she is angry that people that obviously haven't applied themselves could make more than her.

That really seems to be the only argument at this point, unless you run these companies and just don't want to increase your payroll costs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Victim blaming isn't cool y'all

What else isn't cool? That's right, leftist hypocrisy

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Pre-born babies :laffo:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did America assume something entirely benign led to the video of Rice dragging a beaten woman from an elevator? How does additional footage only just now bring consequences?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

moths posted:

Did America assume something entirely benign led to the video of Rice dragging a beaten woman from an elevator? How does additional footage only just now bring consequences?

Because football (the brain damaging kind) fans will overlook almost any offense as long as the player is good at the sport

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Every sane person knew exactly what happened and nobody's buying the "we only saw the tape today" story. There was a ton of outrage over how weak the initial two-game suspension was. The NFL later backpedaled and instituted a stricter domestic violence punishment. Before that, though, they were able to play innocent because Goodell is a poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Miltank posted:

are you suggesting that the mob targeted that individual for a nontrivial reason or that the victims weren't really victims?

Well first we need to go through the victim's facebook photos, twitter feed, and school records to find out if he ever smoked weed, flipped off the camera, posed with a weapon or did something else that proves he was a thug who deserved to get pummeled by a group of men who were just defending themselves from this scary white criminal.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

moths posted:

She probably said something lewd to his little sister.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Pre-born babies :laffo:

I have a pre-owned cat. Where does that put me in conservative ideology?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

In their minds, they're just exhibiting common sense. A baby is a baby from the moment of conception. All this liberal fiddle faddle about the rights of the woman and the exact nature of the sentience of fetuses and embryos are just a big smokescreen to confuse honest folks like us. Ectopic pregnancies? What are those? Eh, no matter. Didn't take no biology courses in my homeschool collective or lovely public school anyhow.

Yeah, they didn't put in the effort to try to better understand the issue and are short-circuiting a highly complicated series of health, ethical, and biological issues. These are issues that were argued in great detail during Roe v. Wade, among other things. This is also why they'll keep losing whenever it comes to court in ways they can't weasel out of, because their argument is literally screaming 'babykiller' with no care about the complexities of the issue, such as women dying on kitchen tables without safe access to the procedure, or women who need abortions for a stillborn fetus, etc. You can't really pull that ignorant poo poo under oath - you actually have to put effort into making a real case.

It's also why gay marriage is steamrolling through the courts lately - gays finally got super-smart about arguing their case with impartial judges, and there really is no logical objective reason for why they can't get married, especially when you have stuff like monogamous gay couples who have been together for decades. So now when it comes to any impartial court, 'traditional marriage' parroting falls flat in the face of stuff like that.

All the religious bigots have left to bank on are right wing 'activist judges' that rule in their favor - and there's fewer and fewer of them every year.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 9, 2014

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

McDowell posted:

Just yesterday on NJ 101.5 two of the hosts were going on and on about the millenials and how they haven't bought homes / moved out from their parent's house yet.

Yeah gotta love how the "greatest generation" (was more the one before them but why quibble) left all these great rope ladders to success and prosperity which the boomers happily clambered up then when they reached the top turned around and cut the ropes behind them.

They then proceed to forget that the very idea of moving out of our parent's house and buying their own is really a social dynamic that only really existed for their own generation and slam the following ones for not accomplishing the same with out those same advantages they were given. For most of human existence multi-generational homes were pretty much standard fair. We only really managed to move out of that model for an extremely short period of time thanks primarily to those rope ladders to success that they've spent their twilight years dismantling.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Skex posted:

Yeah gotta love how the "greatest generation" (was more the one before them but why quibble) left all these great rope ladders to success and prosperity which the boomers happily clambered up then when they reached the top turned around and cut the ropes behind them.

They then proceed to forget that the very idea of moving out of our parent's house and buying their own is really a social dynamic that only really existed for their own generation and slam the following ones for not accomplishing the same with out those same advantages they were given. For most of human existence multi-generational homes were pretty much standard fair. We only really managed to move out of that model for an extremely short period of time thanks primarily to those rope ladders to success that they've spent their twilight years dismantling.

I'll never get over how self-indulgent all that Greatest Generation talk is. Yeah, your generation is so loving great for taking one of the greatest periods of prosperity in this country, the world even, and flushing it down the toilet. Thanks for leveraging all our futures and salting the earth behind you for everyone who comes after, assholes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Skex posted:

Hurry up and encumber yourself with debt! Why aren't you encumbering yourself? :qq:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Levantine posted:

I'll never get over how self-indulgent all that Greatest Generation talk is. Yeah, your generation is so loving great for taking one of the greatest periods of prosperity in this country, the world even, and flushing it down the toilet. Thanks for leveraging all our futures and salting the earth behind you for everyone who comes after, assholes.
That's the Boomers, the Greatest Generation is the one that fought WW2.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HEY GAL posted:

That's the Boomers, the Greatest Generation is the one that fought WW2.

Oh I didn't realize there was a difference. gently caress the boomers then. Sorry to get off track.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Greatest Generation also voted in the New Deal and created the decades of prosperity that their kids pissed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To be fair it was the Greatest Generation and the older Boomers that voted for Reagan and he was pretty much the point-man in terms of undoing anything good about this country.