Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

- SARGSS

- Shipping preference: any
- A list of your consoles : NES, SNES, N64, GC, Genesis, 32x, DC, ps1,ps2, Neo Geo MVS
- Favorite genres of game: RPGs, Action, shooters, fighters
- Any specific requests.: Japanese versions are cool, arcade boards are awesome (even ones that need work)
- please do not send: no PAL games, no PC games, no sports games, no CD based games without case/jewel case/manual/cover, games/systems/accessories only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Got this in the mail today:

Thanks zari-gani!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Musha is also one of those weird genesis titles that tends to go for $80+.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Worth noting that Pulseman, MUSHA, Gley Lancer, Mega Turrican, and Super Fantasy Zone are all available on the Wii Virtual Console. So are Alien Soldier and a handful of others but those are also available on PC for cheaper.

VC/emulation just isn't good enough for this thread

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Same here. Some of the positions that those old TV's placed those screws in made it a huge pain sometimes, though.

This, too. It took me until the SNES era to convince my parents to let me hook my game system up to the "good" tv instead of some ancient pos yard sale find. It was a glorious day when I finally got to ditch rf adapters forever.

My parents refused to let me have more then one game system hooked up at the time because they thought more wires = instant fire. Their concern wasn't too many things improperly plugged into wall sockets, their concern was too many power and av cords next to each other could spontaneously combust at any second.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You were the lucky kid that had both a Nintendo and a Sega/Playstation console at the same time, weren't you? :negative:

Nope, had to wait after I got my NES until the PS1 came out. I wanted both hooked up when I got it but my parents refused.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

sandpiper posted:

Finally I got my Sega Saturn recording setup running. Awesome capture card, SCART to component box, Action Replay Plus, et cetera.

I'm actually planning on doing a recorded playthrough of a few games with this thing, and I'm happy the graphical quality is so damned sharp.

(oh by the way I love how this card is specialized for everything from 240p Genesis/ Atari signals which most new gen capture cards poo poo the bed over to HDMI so I can record my 360 too)

As long as I have a SCART cable for the console in question, or it outputs component RGB, then I can record it now.

Which capture card? Looking for one right now.

Edit: missed the edit!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Today I'm going around to all the thrift stores to hunt for games. My rules are pretty simple as to what I buy:

Games: $5 max per title, only going over if I know the game fetches more and I really want it. Titles I have zero interest in have to be around $1-3 for me to pick them up to use for trading/modding purposes. Disc based games need to be in good condition and have their case.

Controllers/accessories: If I already have a complete set of working controllers for a system I'll usually skip em, unless they're so cheap I know I can use them for trade. Still on the lookout for good N64, DC, SNES, AES, Saturn and GC Wavebirds along with arcade sticks for all systems. No more then $10 for these usually.

Systems: If I have it already it has to be dirt cheap ($10) and I have to know I can trade it/mod it for some purpose. Since I have most common systems right now I'm willing to spend a little more for stuff to fill out my collection, like TurboGrafx/PC Engine, Jaguar/3DO/CDI, and Sega CD.

Handhelds: I usually skip em though I'm becoming more interested in some.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I'd also love a list of good retro shows for the OP. Only good ones I know of are AVGN, Clan of the Grey Wolf, and Gamester81 (that guy has to be a billionaire with that collection) .

Classic Game Room is pretty good and the guy's voice is fairly mesmerizing.

Also, today's haul:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

iastudent posted:

Is that a Code Name: Viper cart I spy? :allears: Probably the best (and only) Rolling Thunder clone ever made.

How much did you copy of Parasite Eve 2 cost, if you don't mind me asking? The price for it seems to have arisen quite a bit at the retro stores here.

PE2 cost $3 and is in perfect shape. Code Name: Viper was $6, which is a dollar over my rule but I figured it'd be worth the shot.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

iastudent posted:

Holy hell, that IS a deal for PE2. Last I saw a copy at the stores here, they wanted $30 for it. I just ended up getting it from PSN due to that.

This is why I love Deseret Industries and St Vincent Du Paul, because they don't bother to check prices on a lot of stuff before throwing it in a bin. I had to dig through some piles to find it but I knew I scored when I found it.

Too bad PE2 is such a horrible game though :v:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Harlock posted:

PE2 is actually really fun and a decent Resident Evil RPG-lite clone. :nyd:

But the original Parasite Eve was so much better though, and the story barely has anything to do with the first game. I'm sure the game is better then my memory serves, but when that game came out I was hugely disappointed.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

picking up these with the gamestop sale:

R-Type Final
Guilty Gear X2
Gundam: Journey to Jaburo
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII
GunGriffon Blaze
Super Bust a Move II
Onimusha: Warlords
Demon Stone
Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon
Onimusha : Samurai's Destiny
Shinobi
Front Mission 4
Zone of the Enders
Yakuza
Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
SSX 3
King of Fighters: Maximum Impact
Beatmania - Game Only
Rygar
Kessen III
Armored Core 2: Another Age

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

What's really crazy is canceling Star Fox 2 when it was finished. I will never forgive Nintendo for that decision.

Not to mention Mother 1 when it was all translated and ready to go.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Caitlin posted:

So I just did a very impulsive thing and bought myself a Turbo Express that I'm going to have to put new caps on. Which is fine, but there was no AC adapter in the package. Suggestions on where to get a cheap one so I don't have to throw batteries at it?

This guy has new ones for $16.99

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Obsessively rearranging my little game corner again

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Uncle Jenkins posted:

What's that between the NES and Sega Genesis? Consolized Neo Geo MVS?

Yup. I did a mini project log for it in the last thread.

Robolizard! posted:

Please Add A Cabinet Backing

Expedits are backless like God intended them to be :colbert:

(I mess with hookups and such so often that any sort of cable management is nothing else but an obstacle to myself.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

DaMangoSentinel posted:

What price guide do you guys use to price out games? I'm buying from someone, and they haven't given me prices, just what they have, and I want to give them a fair offer. Specifically, I'm buy some N64 stuff, cartridge only.

There aren't really any price guides except ebay completed listings. Generally I try to aim for $5 max for cart only unless I know it's a rarer title that tends to go for a little more and I want it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Going back to dreamcast region swapping, does anyone actually know where you can still find DC modchips? I don't want to deal with boot discs (In truth I don't have a single optical drive hooked up to any of the three PCs in house) and a mod chip that just takes care of it for me would be ideal.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Got my favorite game of all time in the mail today (And a bonus disc containing two versions of a game in my top ten):

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Good news from Brad Smith, more moon8 NES carts incoming:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

So all I have to do to make 45k is grab a programmable NES board, toss a rom on there and stick it in a duck hunt cart and write in sharpie RARE GAME PROTOTYPE?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I'm gonna make some of you cringe from this photo but here's my gamestop haul:

Disc quality ranges from "looks fine" to "holy poo poo did a dog mate with that?"

Gotta go dig my beatmania controller out of storage and buy a bunch of blank DVD cases.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Overbite posted:

So I decided that I wanted to have my closet back so I could put clothes in it. The problem was that half of it was stuffed floor to ceiling with old pc game boxes.

:siren: GORE POST AHEAD :siren:

This is a small pile of them.

This is an even smaller pile.

Not sure what to do with these boxes.

I took all the papers and cds and stuff out and just put them in smaller boxes. Most of these pc games came in comically oversized boxes with just a cd sleeve in it and I don't know why.

Kind of felt bad to ruin all those perfectly good boxes but I could really use the room.

System Shock 2 box will net you a pretty penny probably.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I have a Neo Geo MVS board here that I need to get rid of. It's an MV-1C, the same type I used to build my consolized MVS. I will be putting it up on SA mart probably.

However, I'm willing to turn it into a consolized MVS for a fellow Retro Goon, and want to put that offer here before I list the board on SA Mart. Right now price estimate for a consolized MVS is hovering around $450 (That includes the board, video encoder, unibios install and other misc parts).

My consolized MVS isn't the prettiest but it works like a champ:

If I don't get a reply within the week or so I'll put the board up on SA mart.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

I've always been interested in an AES but the price is just too scary for me. A consolized MVS really interests me, though. What kind of controllers do you wire it up to use (Neo Geo sticks?)--and do you have any you would be willing to sell with it? Color me intrigued in this offer.

I put in DB15 ports which are what the Neo Geo home consoles use, so any AES controller will work. Sadly I only have the one I own and can't part with it, but I see them up on ebay all the time.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

A project I've been wanting to work on for a while now is a true universal joystick. The X360+ has a daughterboard with a RJ45 port. It's currently used to wire PS2 controllers to it but I wonder how easy it would be to wire saturn/AES/other legacy consoles to it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Agreed... what the hell is happening to this thread? Disc-only collections, advocating the maiming of useful peripherals...

For shame! :colbert:

modding a useful peripheral to make it more useful is a-okay :colbert:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone want to trade a working PS2 controller for one of my Genesis 6 buttons?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

PM Incoming

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Along the lines of RGB to YPbPr transcoders, I've been thinking of buying another one of the Jrok boards I used in my consolized MVS and building a mini transcoding box for genesis/snes. Just a matter of getting some cash and parts together.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

:siren:RAKUTEN FREE SHIPPING (Up to ¥4,000) ON ORDERS ¥10,000 and above:siren:

So have you wanted to fly to japan to buy a bunch of old, cheap japanese games but can't actually afford the flight/stay? Or have you wanted to order games from japan only to balk at the shipping? Well, it's time to introduce you to Rakuten.

Rakuten is a online storefront for a ton of asian stores. Some of those stores sell used video games. Those games are pretty drat cheap.

There are a few catches to Rakuten though. First, under normal circumstances standard shipping from japan is insanely high. Second, they only act as an intermediary between you and the stores you buy from. Third, when you're browsing products, most of the pages are machine translated, so it can be hard to find exact things you want.

When you place an order with Rakuten, they give you an estimated cost. A day or two later, the store/s will email you with the final cost + shipping. They then ask you to email back with confirmation that you want the item and to ship it.

With this in mind, it's advised to select one shop and shop only from them. Goon recommended is Surugaya-a-too.

Other points:
-If the item is pictured as the box/case, it is a full set. Games that don't have boxes are usually pictured as cart only.
-My first Rakuten order was about 30 SNES games and a couple accessories. 9 of the games were in boxes. Shipping was $80.

Now, with that all said, :siren:Rakuten members who spend ¥10,000 or more will get free shipping up to ¥4,000 THIS WEEK ONLY:siren: You have to be a Rakuten member for this sale, and the item has to have [fs01gm] in the item description. Consider this Japan's Black Friday sale.

And here's my haul:

HKR fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 20, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I want a white Saturn; ebay has tons of them for $30 but double that just for shipping. No luck on Ratuken; am I searching wrong?

Nah I don't see any.

They do have this, which looks like:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone got a good recommendation on a disc resurfacer? I got a copy of Samba de Amigo (as well as a couple PS2 games from that gamestop sale) that won't read on my systems.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

iastudent posted:

If an item does not say "there is no box theory" in the item name, then from what I understand, it should include the box and manual.

This is right as far as I can tell. In my first purchase, everything I got that didn't have a box said "There is no Box Theory" and everything I got that had a box didn't say that and the item was listed with a picture of the box.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Antillese posted:

HKR, that's a pretty badass haul. I like the way you bought all of the Guilty Gear incremental releases. But I see CvS1, but not CvS2. Did I miss it? If not, it's a criminal oversight. At least they play substantially differently than the Guilty Gears which are more or less obsoleted by each successive version.

Also, is that first item... a fuckin' Pocket Station?! That is simultaneously cool and not cool at all. Do you have Ridge Racer 4 and FF8? They are the only two US games I can think of off the top of my head to support the Pocket Station. What a silly accessory for $35 2000 dollars and now, they only cost $.50.

The new thread seems to be moving pretty fast with the holidays/SS. I declared Retrothread bankruptcy and skipped about 10 pages.

My rule for buying used stuff is $5 or less. CvS1 was under $5, CvS2 wasn't. (I also really really like GG)

The first item is a collection of pocketstation games I believe. I also have a secret desire to collect every single japanese release that supported the pocketstation. I imported one back when they first came out for a crazy amount of money, and a few years later my brother stole it and sold it for drugs. I picked up a new in box one last time I did a Rakuten sale for about $1.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

I don't like when video game swag becomes valuable. I noticed that Mega Man 9 Press Kits sealed go for the price of a Wii U on eBay, and I'm getting tempted to sell mine. It's a really cool thing, but that's a crazy price for it.

It's tough looking at the price of some retro games and merchandise. Sometimes they'll keep climbing, and it was a mistake to sell, sometimes prices will plummet with a downloadable version comes out on modern consoles or a re-release happens for merchandise. I think the Disgaea figure collection that was originally for sale only on NISAmerica.com was going for over $200 at one point, but with a few figure collection releases since then, values have plummeted.

You have to ask yourself if you're collecting because you like games and want to have cool things, or if you're collecting because you want to make a cool profit. Both are okay but when it comes to things like the MM9 press kit you have to ask yourself why you got it in the first place.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

iastudent posted:

For those of you that have ordered on Rakuten, how long does it usually take before the store contacts you to confirm your order? I'm seeing that a lot of items that I submitted are "sold out", which I'm guessing means that they're putting the order together right now.

Give it a couple days, then if you don't hear back email the shop directly with your order number.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Technowrite posted:

So a guy on CL is offering $40 a Master System with controller, light phaser, and Rampage, Outrun, and Hang On/Safari Hunt. Is that a good deal?

I'm seeing Master Systems by themselves go for around $40-50 on ebay. Sounds like a deal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Technowrite posted:

It's a Model 1. Looks to be in good shape from the pictures he posted.

get that poo poo.

• Locked thread