Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think Bush is viable. It's only been 4 years since his brother blew up the economy.

Rubio's probably a favorite. Christie's a good candidate but he broke the most important rule of the GOP (don't work with Dems), so like with Charlie Crist, his career in the party is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

Elizabeth Warren was a Republican until the mid 90's I believe.
Yeah, I went to a private fundraiser for her in July and she mentioned being a Republican at one point, but she realized that the party was not interested in working people and left that behind before she ever got too involved with politics

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Quasimango posted:

Joe Biden has had consistently lower approval ratings that Obama despite only ever being a soft news guy, has had two presidential campaigns, the first of which he flamed out spectacularly and the second of which he was a non-entity, and he will be 74 years old in 2016. He is not a serious candidate.
Agreed. Even if he does run in 2016, I don't see him winning any primaries of note, and dropping out pretty early like in 2008.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Houston Euler posted:

The powers that be really don't want her to testify. :tinfoil:
Allen West actually believes this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just when you thought you heard the last of Benghazi, it rears its ugly head yet again...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Two things:

1. How does Priebus still have a job?

2. He wants to make the debates MORE boring and pointless?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Personally I want Cruz to run, just so people nationally can see how much of a nut he is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

trapped mouse posted:

Hahaha this is so entertaining.

Republicans:

Chris Brown: 9%
Rihanna: -
This is perfect in so many ways.

Interesting that republicans like Adele so much though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't see Clinton facing a serious challenge from the corpse that is 'the left' in this country, not when she has a decent number of people already supporting her on day one, and fundraising connections. Elizabeth Warren would be a great choice but she will never make any money in a campaign.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

The Paul family campaign staff: that group of twenty-somethings who read Watchmen and thought Rorschach was something to aspire to.
And who put on a mask that looks like a Deadpool parody

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just doubt that when push comes to shove, Cruz won't implode on the national stage like the rest of the far right nut jobs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah pretty much, seems like a lot of recent Dem senators stick around there for awhile.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Your party is clearly a mess if your 'big guns' now are Cruz, Paul, and whoever. Not including Rubio anymore due to the immigration thing backfiring on his racist base.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gyges posted:

I would also think that an open field due to a term limited POTUS would be a far more ideal time to run than going for a run against a sitting President.
Conventional wisdom agrees, incumbents generally win anyway

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's rapidly becoming Tommy Lee Jones.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah he's done, there are a lot of bigger nutballs than him that are presumably running anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zero_Grade posted:

Sounds similar to the Florida Strategy, as practiced by noted September 11th enthusiast, Rudy "9/11" Guiliani.
He prefers the title President of 9/11

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bunleigh posted:

Re: worst-run primary campaigns, you could probably make a case for Giuliani. He was also seen as inevitable by some people early on and that dude turned out to not even be a factor in the election at all, with his hilarious Florida strategy and his total lack of charm.
Didn't that campaign set a record for most money spent on the fewest delegates? I swear they spent like $5 million per delegate (and had like 20 total).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

Guys, he's very obviously joking in that tweet.
Agreed, that comes off to me as a joke, probably poking fun at that WaPo guy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, those criticisms ring pretty hollow when you consider that there's nobody close to being an Obama 2008 level candidate, Hillary 2016 is a lot stronger than Hillary 2008 and Hillary 2008 had a really strong showing anyway. Plus, it seems disingenuous to suggest that Hillary 2008's biggest flaw was that she 'acted too much like the presumptive nominee,' because you can tout that you're the presumptive nominee and not have a miserably run campaign. Also, Iraq etc
The other problem is there's no challenger from the left that would provide an alternative to HRC either. If Warren was running, I could see her with the right people in a campaign putting a dent in Hillary's numbers, although ultimately Hillary has a ridiculous money advantage.

But it's blindingly obvious that the party is clearing the deck so she can run mostly unopposed, while the Republicans beat the crap out of each other in their primaries again. I don't think anyone in the party wants a repeat of those 2008 primaries.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

Ugh, dear God. Isn't there a brutal third-world dictator this guy could go shill for? He and Penn were two of Hillary's most odious advisors in 2008.
Does Dan Snyder count? Because right now he's covering for that guy's defense of a racist slur as a football team nickname.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the one thing I notice everywhere (including where I work) is that basically every company now is fine with being understaffed, even if it hurts productivity, because it's ultimately cheaper for them than adding those jobs they previously cut during the recession back.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Renzian posted:

Hey, since Hillary Clinton's candidacy is a Big Topic in this thread and talk of her memoir occurred a while back (brought up by me, admittedly), I thought I'd give an appraisal of it as I've managed to get about 150ish pages into it since picking it up from the library the other day.

Honestly? It's a fair bit bland. It's good if you want an 'insider' account of stuff that occurred during Obama's first term from the State Dept perspective/role (such as the Obama Admin's pivot toward Asia (spearheaded by Clinton, of course), Burma/Myanmar's baby steps toward democracy, and Obama's initial decisions on how to handle the Afghanistan War), but aside from that, there's not much interesting in it. Someone here said that it'd be very non-controversial, and they were right. Clinton uses patriotic American rhetoric a fair bit (like talking about America's values of freedom, justice, and fairness, and how they're central to the country and to her conception of herself as a person, citizen and public servant). Also, as this is most likely being used as a way to make her look good in preparation for her 2016 run, the book omits any professional faults or flaws she may have. Again, not surprising.

So, it's a good basic insider account, but aside from that, not much else, unless you're sincerely interested in Clinton's perspective on the Obama Administration's foreign policy and inner-workings during her time as SecState (or at least, the perspective she wants to convey to the public).

Then again, one thing I did take away from it - how a President's success and policy is the result of a number of different actors working in concert together, whose results are then attributed to the President and shape his/her presidency. An example is how Chen Guangchen, a Chinese activist and dissident, in 2012 sought refuge at the US Embassy in Beijing. Clinton got called at home in the middle of the night, got briefed, and after some discussion in a conference call, made the decision for him to be given sanctuary in the Embassy. The White House found out about it in the morning. Had the Chinese made a huge stink about it and made it into a huge embarassing international incident over it, it's plausible to assume that Obama would have taken the heat for it. So, if you read between the lines, you get some interesting insight into how presidential administration 'teams' work together as one body, and consequently why it's very important that a President pick the right people for his/her cabinet and staff.

So, yeah, 'Hard Choices' by Hillary Clinton. Check it out if you're interested.
Books like that will be sanitized to all hell to make sure nothing can be used as future ammo in an election.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So it's August 2014 and already Hillary is tacking right of Obama on foreign policy.

quote:

Clinton also offered tough criticism of Obama's role in the Syria conflict. According to Clinton, the decision to not back moderate Syrian rebels in the early stages of the civil war opened the door for groups like the Islamic State, the militant group formerly known as ISIS, to emerge.

“The failure to help build up a credible fighting force of the people who were the originators of the protests against Assad—there were Islamists, there were secularists, there was everything in the middle—the failure to do that left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled,” Clinton said.

The former New York senator has previously pointed to the daylight between herself and the president on Syria. In a June interview with CNN, Clinton said she and other officials pressed Obama to arm the rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, but the White House ultimately rejected the plan. However, in that interview Clinton wouldn't say whether arming rebels would have prevented the rise of extremist groups elsewhere.

"It's very difficult, in retrospect, to say that would have prevented this," she said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/10/hillary-clinton-obama_n_5665901.html

So the GOP is going after Obama on Iraq, and at least one Democrat is going after him on Syria. Ah, to be a lame duck POTUS....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Hillary will at least give us some decent SC appointments if she's elected right?
I guess, but she's basically a more conservative version of Obama who is more of a hawk.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If he beats this rap he's going to be a major hero of the right.

But he had virtually no chance of winning the Presidency anyway, so this is mostly irrelevant since he's not going to be governor that much longer either.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't see how he doesn't beat it. "I used the powers of my office to pressure a prosecutor to resign - that prosecutor had been convicted of a DUI" is a really easy thing for voters to rally around, and I sure wouldn't convict him if I were in a jury, no matter the precise text of the law.
That was just the lesser charge. The more serious one is still in play.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Really, and as has come up innumerable times in the USPol thread and its GOP Rebuilding predecessor, it's a mark of just what a shambles is the GOP that a contradictory lightweight like Rand Paul has to be included in "who is a serious contender for the GOP presidential nomination" discussions.
Plus as soon as the primaries start he will move to the right anyway on a lot of those issues that he's 'reasonable' on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We have no candidates in FL on the Dem side. I believe some other Republican (if it's not Rubio) would still beat whatever Dem they put up for Senate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to imagine Warren runs if for whatever impossible reason Hillary doesn't. At least I hope so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How many of those people polled actually know what Romney really stands for, that's the real question.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The immigration thing happened around the same time, so it both made him look ridiculous to the American public, and he lost his base shortly after

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

McCain's case is more of a gray area because he was born in the Canal Zone, which was an American territory and people born in the territories are US citizens. That's how, for example, Governor Luis Fortuno of Puerto Rico occasionally gets mentioned as a potential candidate or (more likely) VP pick.

Now George Romney, on the other hand, he was definitely not born in the US.
True, but George Romney did run for President and his parents were born here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You'll notice all of the chatter around Jeb is that everyone ELSE wants him to run. Now it sounds like his family is trying to get him to do it, even though he has been pretty lukewarm for ages on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Warren is not running as long as Hillary is. Honestly, odds are she will never run if Hillary does and becomes president, since Warren is already 65. Her time is either now or never (if running for President).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree 100%. I had the opportunity to meet with her at a private fundraiser here in Orlando, and she's the real deal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

And by tighten up, you mena the news will desperately try to make it look like a close race for ratings?

The closest Romney made to gaining ground was after the first debate, and even then the polls still didn't actually put him ahead.
It was pretty clear to anyone who actually watched the debate that the media wanted this to actually be a race, since Obama did fine. Romney never had momentum of any kind after that debate, and didn't before that either.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I had no idea Mark Penn was screwing things up for Microsoft, but that makes perfect sense

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

The important question now is, who makes the ideal running made for Ben Carson. Do they Biden him up with someone visually paltable like Fred Thompson? Roll the dice on a Lindsey Graham to appeal to women voters?
Fred Thompson is 72 years old, and even as a Senator he was notorious for basically never doing any real work and spending half of his time at the steakhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

comes along bort posted:

I doubt it'll play out that way. There just aren't enough strong candidates likely running to pose a threat. If Clinton struggles it'll be because of internal campaign screwups like last time.
I mean at this point we're looking at maybe some field like Biden, O'Malley, Schweitzer, etc? I would have said Warner before but he barely won this last election.

The annoying thing is, we're not getting anyone decent who is to the left of Hillary, since Warren isn't going to run, and as much as I like Bernie Sanders he's not going to have a serious impact on this race if he does run.

• Locked thread