Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There was also the fact that they picked a running mate for optics, not ability to do the job, turning the answer to "what happens when the job kills him" from "a nearly-as-qualified politician takes over" to "we become Idiocracy overnight".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And she can pull apart his entire rhetoric, shred his ego like tissue paper, and turn him into a crying wreck. The highlight will come when he screams bitch at her during a debate before running away.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Never bet against Republicans doing something stupid.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The part that knows its dying is not the part that's demanding doubling down.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

I know people who think Tupac is alive.

Name the political party dedicated to appealling to those people.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Periodiko posted:

I think Ted Cruz may be unelectable just on the grounds of sheer face-punchability.

Explain Nixon and Truman.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 17, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
William Henry Harrison has gotta be up there.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
loving hell, warn us when you're gonna spring that poo poo.

You owe me a new monitor, by the way.

Anyway, if we're gonna talk about Presidential Punchability, we'd need to talk about how it breaks down to certain individuals. To you or I, FDR is in no way punchable. To Adam West, however....

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 18, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So all Canadians look alike to you? Guess we know who the real racist is.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't think you quite got the joke.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Though Christie's main appeal was "this guy can appeal to people outside of the Republican base" and that's not going to be true any longer.

Is that even an appeal for Republicans anymore?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pretty much the only thing of substance that Mitt did in the primaries and the general was say how wrong he was to work with Democrats, and how if elected he would undo anything Obama had done and say no to anything liberals wanted.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

Do Democrats really dislike Christie? His rear end in a top hat behavior in regards to teachers seems to appeal to both parties and I don't think many people really care about the Sandy fund thing. Honestly my gut feeling is in a toss up between Christie and Clinton in a national election I would give the slight edge to Christie as conservative Dems flipped for him and he doesn't have the lack of personality issue that Mitt did. I really can't see Hillary motivating people to vote like Obama was able to in either of his elections.

Two words - Clinton charm. That stuff is largely attributed with getting Obama elected the second time (look at that marathon of a speech at the DNC), Hilary will have that running 24/7 in her favor.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

That's why if you're resurrecting a Roosevelt you've got to go with TR.

So this is what living in the beginning of a horror movie is like.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This happened in an issue of deadpool, kind of. Forget the issue number, though.

Quick! Someone find Donald Ducks mother! Its our only hope!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How do we stop Trumps hairpeice from eating FDR's brain too?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nobody can serve more than two terms, and he served a portion of his second term before impeachment. And according to Futurama, the corpse has the limitation, not Nixons soul.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You honestly believe that that thing is human in origin, let alone a part of Trump?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A couple people did try mailing him Ricin.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'd be willing to bet that he's been listening to right wing blowhards saying "Bad things happened? Just as Romney said - guess he's looking pretty good now, huh?". I expect him to focus entirely on what he would have done if he were president and how it magically would have been the right thing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For all intents and purposes it'll be an incumbent year - same batch of crazy nutjobs who can't win against the person who is already the most qualified for the job. THis time it just so happens that woman doesn't have the job already.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I was shaky on Dewey and didn't wanna say anything solid, didn't know Adlai.

I mean the sad thing is unless someone totally bland like Jeb runs I really can't think of many better options than just trying Romney again, the crazies would get absolutely demolished.

Maybe Robert Downey Junior will take a shot. Thats why he's quitting the CMU.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I dunno. Remember, when they heard about him making a sane, reasonable pick for an experienced VP, they hated it and demanded a crazy lady who lived in the snow looking at Russia.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I just figured Palin was a pathetic bid to snag women's votes by being all "hey look we don't hate women, we made one a veep candidate!" in response to the Democrats putting up a black man. It just turned out they didn't do their homework and Palin was a literally insane person that's barely qualified for anything more complex than "carry an object from place to another."

Was McCains record on women's rights and equality really that bad pre-2008? It seems like the absolutely crazy misoginystic poo poo has happened in the last 6 years or so, were they really that much of an anti-woman party back then? Granted, just the optics of running two white men after the Dem primary had been a woman and a black man would look bad, but had McCain specifically, and the party at large, done much to make that worse back then?

Kalman posted:

I agree with you. I don't think the GOP primary electorate will.

So all he needs is to get hitched. Is June Lockhart still alive?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Insect Court posted:

In the absence of a pick so catastrophically bad that it calls into question the candidate's competence(see: Palin, Sarah) VP noms have a negligible effect on electoral outcomes. So more or less the same outcome as a Hillary/* race, which is to say a Hillary-sized hole in whatever bible-thumping goober or dead-eyed apparatchik makes it through the Republican primary unless the GOP succeeds in precipitating another 2008-level crisis before the election.

Besides, Hillary's probably going to pick someone who's a relative outsider to national politics. If Obama tapped Biden in part because it balanced out the young black guy who had just arrived on the scene with an old white guy who had been in D.C. forever, then Hillary's going to go with a young-ish(not so young as to make her appear too old in comparison) white guy. Woman/brown person or Woman/woman is going to turn off a lot of conservative-leaning winnable whites. Although I suppose a Latino VP pick would make sense, although no really great choices spring to mind.

I still say Tammy Duckworth. Veteran who lost her legs in Iraq would counter the doubts of any winnable conservative leaning men (before anyone posts that woman mocking Kerry's purple heart, I said winnable. Jesus coming to life and running against Satan would be unable to convince her if he had a D next to his name). Plus, it'd get us one step closer to a cyborg president.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Can they bring in 2 bil by adding them to the ticket?

Yeah, if there is one thing that the Clinton's have always been known for, its having no form of connections or way to get money.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

Hey, you can have Julian Castro for VP, but don't you dare take Joaquin, he's currently doing an excellent job as my Representative.:colbert:

I sorta want the pair of them to start engaging in Parent Trap hijinks, with them privately swapping jobs whenever they're left in a room together and not telling the country.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Its odd though, despite Republicans winning the polling battle on abortion, I feel that Democrats have won the messaging war by rephrasing it as being part of a broader womens' rights debate. There's more votes in allowing abortion than in further restricting it.

The fact that they are referred to as anything other than "anti-choice" shows they won on messaging. They have no rightful claim to any moral authority here, so having anything is a sign they conned it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

Go get hosed.

edit: Just to be clear, I don't give a drat about abortion either way, I just think that your argument is total garbage.

Get hosed yourself. Claiming that people who want abortion to be available as an option are anti-life is completely loving disingenuous, because it completely ignores the positions. One side wants women to have the option about their own bodies, the other does not. That is the reality of the positions, and dressing them up as anything else is just bullshit.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Internet Webguy posted:

One man's bullshit is another man's party line.

And even though one side is dealing with reality and the other isn't, we need to compromise.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Don't all conservative ideas?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

Also she just walks around with her naughty bits hanging out.

If its a she, how do they manage to hang out?

Why would it need any of those things to do the job? Hell, a horse could do the job of president indistinguishably from a Republican.

"What is your stance on reproductive rights, raising taxes on the rich, a fair minimum wage, reforming immigration, and fixing the education system?"
"Neigh"

I apologize for nothing.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 15, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Didn't it place sixth?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

What happened to thrust Cruz ahead of Rubio and Jindal in the "ethnic guy who the GoP thinks will save it from the yawning abyss of demographic doom" classic, anyway? I could swear I recall more buzz about Rubio, two years ago.

Not asking them to improve in any way, and saying that they're secretly right.

In a choice between doing what is easy and what is right, Republicans choose easy.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neeksy posted:

I thought Ted Cruz was ineligible because of the whole born in Canada thing.

He's white.

icantfindaname posted:

So have the Republicans come up with a candidate that isn't either Mitt Romney or a theocratic fascist yet?

"Or"?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ninjasaurus posted:

I was going to say that he has the smuggest avatar ever but then I realized Bill Kristol has the smuggest face ever.

You forced me to do this.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chantilly Say posted:

You never count your money while you're sitting at the table.

Right now I'm leaning more towards dying in my sleep.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chantilly Say posted:

I agree that none of the named have disqualifying medical issues at the moment, though I don't agree that age is no longer a problem until 80. A lot of serious problems can still develop in a person's 60s that could cause issues for a Presidential candidacy.
Especially when you give that person the most stressful job in the world.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think what's a lot more likely to happen is a slow motion train wreck as Democrats spend the next two years remembering how awful a candidate Hillary is, powerless to stop it, and the Republican nominee romps to a relatively easy general election victory.

You know, I'm still curious as to what this is in reference to. Bout the only bad thing about Hilary the candidate is how much she wants to win and what she'll do to get it. If she's running for the nomination virtually unopposed, whats the problem?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pinterest Mom posted:

Just pick a midwestern governor at random, that's who's going to beat Hillary. I really do believe that the "will do anything to get elected" charge is going to stick to her, hard.

Because being passionate about her country and wanting to lead it - thats totally going to be a black eye for her.

The only people who could make that attack would be the Republicans, and they are going for the much more nuanced and subtle "She's old, and feeble - gently caress her!" and full scale white hot misoginystic rage.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You realise there's this thing called the vice president, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MC Nietzche posted:

I meant before election day, should have been clearer.

So did I. Whoever is Hilarys VP will still have her resources and her connections if Hilary dies, and will still crush Cruz like a bug.

Mitt Romney posted:

Clinton machine? She's likely to hire loyal idiots rather than effective managers and she can't go a week without saying something stupid lately.
And by stupid you mean objective reality?

• Locked thread