Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

puchu posted:

Is there anyone else in this thread who has 60k AA miles to use? Please PM me.

I do. I don't have plat though so I can't PM you.

On a related note, does anyone know where to sell or trade AA SWUs? I have a bunch that will expire this coming year and don't see myself using all of them.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

Be really careful. AA has a team of people investigating this practice and they will cancel your ff acct, forfeit your miles, potentially elite benefits etc.

Flyer talk forums was the best spot in the member connection forum. But yeah, be careful.

Also what is the expiration date. I might take a few!
Yeah I read about that, and I think that is why FT banned all trades with AA stuff. But I'll assume that there's no AA security folks that are goons on SA..

The SWUs are good until 2/2016.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

http://www.tmz.com/2015/02/03/paris-hiltons-brother-conrad-arrested-for-going-berserk-on-plane-i-will-f-king-own-you-peasants/

The ultimate DYKWIA this month.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

Also those tiny rear end private planes suck for long haul flights. First class commercial is way more comfortable.

I've only flown one of those things. While first class commercial is pretty awesome, the airline products differ massively and some of the top luxury first class cabins fly very limited routes. For example, Singapore Airlines only flies to SFO LAX NYC and IAH. You would still be connecting in major airports if you live outside a megacity, and that might be a big deal for executives that can afford them.

Also it kind of astounds me there are people in the world that book full-fare United Global First that can cost as much, if not more, than things like Lufthansa First.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Pissingintowind posted:

I fly Aeroflot all the time (I'm in Moscow). It's actually a lot better than it used to be. Go for it.

Edit:

At the same time, don't spend an extra 6 hours in transit just to sit in a bigger seat.

Get there as fast as you can.

I book longer layovers in Australia to enjoy the Qantas first lounges :colbert:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Midjack posted:

What the hell itinerary connects through Australia? Or do you start/end there and connect through Sydney or Canberra?

New Zealand, or a bunch of Oceania destinations.

Here's a tip for anyone booking award tickets to Australia: it's sometimes cheaper both in mileage to route to a random Oceania place connecting through Australia, and you will also save the taxes that apply for terminating travel in Australia.

Aristotle Animes posted:

when the plane lands, people clap
That's common on flights to/from Cuba, but that's understandable.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

What the gently caress Delta! Removing award charts? Really? As if Skypesos weren't worthless enough.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I always have issues checking in online with Delta if it's anything but a purely domestic flight.

It works only about 25% of the time (or less) and then I can get my boarding pass before passport verification at the gate. Other times, it will let me check in but I will need to print the boarding pass at the airport (as if that makes a difference).

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah the airlines have my cell number because it needs it to be recognized for the elite hotlines. Otherwise, you have to end up inputting your FF#, which is incredibly difficult given that UA/AA now uses letters too and involves trying to get their lovely voice recognition software to understand.

Of course, with UA, like their entire company and system, you can just use your old legacy CO FFP and everyone still works. Even though it's not supposed to.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mackieman posted:

I think it's the other way around: all the sUA numbers got moved to sCO accounts.

In any event, I got the magic e-mail last night: time to look at tickets to PEK in May. :getin:

What does the "s" stand for?

Also flights to China are super cheap at the moment because every carrier went overboard with capacity.

Flights have been hovering at 600-700 US roundtrip from CHI/NYC to PEK/PVG/HKG for a long time. Lowest I've seen is 450 US roundtrip from YVR to PVG on Delta, and that's been priced like that for at least a month. I think business class is something ridiculous like 1500-2000.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mackieman posted:

The s is for subsidiary, as in legacy UA and legacy CO.

In other news, you can book any fare class on most carriers for pennies on the dollar by changing your billing country to Denmark at the moment. Lots of folks are booking up a storm but I'm wondering if these will get honored as providing an invalid billing address is cause to reject a transaction. Time will tell.

Yup, booked some SWISS First, Lufthansa First itineraries.

Finally got some revenge on UA for their devaluations this year. How do you like your breakfast cereal, Smisek!!!

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Lelorox posted:

Does it make sense for me to get a Airline credit card for travel to gain access to lounges etc? I don't get to use my credit card to buy flights when I travel for work (about once a month from East Coast to West Coast) , but I do get to use my FF/Rewards number for any flights taken. Currently I'm racking up points on Delta, but starting to realize that I don't particularly like Delta. Is there a better airline I should be flying?

If you're concerned about points, you probably shouldn't be flying with Delta. They are the worst program for fliers to redeem points.

However, Delta is usually considered the best airline to fly out of the big 3, so what you say worries me a bit.

If your travel is just east coast to west coast, consider maybe Virgin America. They are considered the best domestic airline. Limited route network but if you're flying NYC/WAS-SFO/LAX you're golden. JetBlue is decent as well, and companies might be able to buy the cheap Mint business-class seats they fly from JFK which start at around 500 one-way and are considered the best domestic airline product.

Unfortunately the best airlines also don't have much in the way of lounges. If lounge is important you might want to simply look at flying UA/AA/DL and just getting their credit card that gives lounge access.

Another option is getting an AMEX Platinum card which gives you Priority Pass as well. This gets you in to many lounges, but generally pretty random ones, you can look up the list on the PP site. AMEX Platinum also gets you into the Centurion Lounges which are the best lounges in the US as well, but limited to a few airports.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Lelorox posted:

A lot of the time my flights are not direct. I'm based out of DC and most of the flights to the west cost stop at a major hub first. I could take direct flights but often it's in my best interest to take a 1-2 hr pit stop in ATL. Plus my company makes me book through egencia, which sucks and limits the airlines I can take. The joke is I work in the airline industry.

I think I'm probably going to go for an AMEX w/ lounge access taking into consideration that the airline lounge cards are expensive.

With AMEX you get access to the Lounge Club lounge at ATL in the int'l terminal which is quite decent.

If you're flying many different airlines/alliances, considering consolidating the miles into Alaska. Alaska also flies quite a few nonstops from DCA even though you want the transfers.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Burning all my AA miles before the great devaluation that's forthcoming. Some insane pricing: 17.5k in business for intra-Australia/NZ, 10.k in economy for Qantas. That's cheaper than domestic US redemptions!!!

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you talking about Mosaic (aka "Puzzles" in my office for some unknown reason)? Waived change fees are pretty nice, but the rest of the program is kind of underwhelming. It's only 30 segments and $4k in total spend - that seems pretty attainable to me.
Sign up for Founders Card: they have a Mosaic challenge where you book 2 roundtrips and you get instant status. The actual card is like $400, but does come with some other perks.

I was Mosaic for a year and it was worthless. The agents on the phone you get are just like any other Jetblue agent and struggle with anything complicated. Which is a real shame because Jetblue Mint looks fabulous.

If you want the perks of status and no work, just sign up for a Virgin America card and fly them, notwithstanding their weak limited network. It's a great credit card and the no cancellations fees + free bags makes it comparable to many mid-tier status on other airlines.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

asur posted:

Has AA announced that they are devaluing or is this just a expectation based on the merger?

They would have devalued even without the merger. If anything, the merger has been a blessing in disguise because it's given AA other priorities and put a freeze on any changes to the program.

Once the reservation systems merge and 2017 AAdvantage gets announced, I expect a few surprises.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

I got SSSS once and literally nothing was different.

They are supposed to swab you for explosives residue. If you are going through normal security, everything else is normal.

The biggest thing for frequent travelers is that for SSSS-flagged itineraries you can't check-in online, and have to do it in person at the airport. And it also invalidates your Precheck status.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've found if you have the KTN in the KTN field, it works. If I don't, it rarely works.
This. I've never been denied Precheck once on airlines that offer it.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

triple sulk posted:

How is Delta out of DTW, seeing as it's a hub? I've never flown with them and I've only used the other terminal with AA, but seeing as I'm here until the middle of next year (Philly is my home) and I can get some easy SkyMiles with the Gold SkyMiles card bonus, maybe it's worth it as there would be more award flight options? I don't think I have any chance of hitting AA elite status even with their challenge, and I have the AA Executive so I have priority screening and boarding any way.
Skymiles is a difficult currency right now as they're transitioning to revenue redemption. There are still many sweet spots, though.

DTW's Delta terminal is great. Delta put a lot of money into it and it shows. It's efficiently laid out and very easy to navigate. However between DTW and MSP, it seems that as a sole airline hub designed only for transiting passengers, there's a bit of redundancy.

There's really not that much traffic going into and out of Detroit. Delta's already begun moving all their Asia flights to just simply connect via SEA.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

RIP US Airways!!!

Higgy posted:

Delta: 75,819MQM; hit PM my last trip. Not likely to hit DM but will rollover a bunch next year.

Marriott: Gold, not likely to touch Platinum there this year.

Avis: Preferred Plus. Not that will get me anything meaningful.

Speaking of Platinum on Delta, I chose the 4 domestic upgrade certs as my "gift". Does anyone know if these even guarantee anything? I know they put me near the top of the upgrade list but I've had some coworkers get burned by them.

Looks like I might be pulling in enough next year to hit Diamond so at least I got that going for me.

You can use regionals for Delta One on JFK-SFO/LAX, which are no longer complimentary.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

AA has been treating me quite poorly as EP. I think they know their non high-value fliers. Agents are following ticket rules to a T and finding all kinds of nonsense to reject your requests. It's been night and day compared to Delta. AA feels like UA right now.

Since I've burned all my AA miles on upcoming luxe flights, I will likely move all my flying to Delta.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

shrike82 posted:

I'm joining a strat consultancy soon (an MBB) and expect to be spending 50% of my time abroad. Are there any basic business travel tips I should be aware of?

To give you an indication of how clueless I am, I used to work in finance and spent half a year shuttling between the west and asia on first class without subscribing to a mileage program.

Is there anything major to do beyond joining a mileage program? What's the conversion ratio typically like? I.e. How much would i need to fly to get xyz miles free?

:ughh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How are you an EP and low value?
O/Q fares, mileage runs. Have you seen the fares to Brazil? :getin:

The 8 SWU's definitely make it worthwhile. After this year, likely not. 4 is a lot less.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

AgrippaNothing posted:

Anyone you were working with and thought was even halfway decent is in fact a giant shithead for not mentioning that you need to looking to airline programs.

Well, solid in for my Bangkok treat for yet another year of having a pretty poor excuse for a life, losing my partner and finding it impossible to maintain social relations with anyone that I'm not working with and mashing my elbows with other assholes on the horrid new slimline seats that are near ubiquitous or worse, tore up RJs.

SEA - IAH (f) - NRT (F) - BKK (J) - FRA (F) - IAH (F )- SEA (f)

Really looking forward to experiencing both ANA and TG in F, the TG Royal First lounge with spa at BKK is going to be amazing. Then of course many hours of pleasure and astute service that comes with LH F ground and air service. This will be my 5 quack :smug:

There you have it, down 260K and I still have 350K in the bank with no plan in 2016. Perhaps I will fall in love and then I will be able to do something amazing for us with all the miles i pile in the coming year. I'm a very sad person.

Whatever. Just don't loving leave your miles on the goddamn table.

Nicely done. You could try looking into flying NRT-SIN in ANA F, they just launched that route as their first intra-asia F. And then perhaps SIN-BKK in J on Singapore Airlines, because well, Singapore Airlines. United makes it a pain though and you have to call for SQ bookings and their site won't show it.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

MickeyFinn posted:

On my last trip through NRT I sat next to a woman in her late 20s who had never flown international in economy. Her dad worked for United and, until she turned 26, she got to fly first-class standby where ever she wanted. Our conversation stopped there until a steady stream of questions through the flight would have me dying of laughter:

"Do they give you water back here?"
"What is the food like? I'm not a picky eater, but I don't eat a lot of meat or grains."
"Are we allowed to sleep?"
:aaaaa: "There is ice cream? Like first class?!"

She was really nice, but drat is she lacking in regular people experience.

So Cathay Pacific flies JFK-YVR, and it's regarded as the best domestic/transborder flight in North America.

In economy, in standard Cathay Pacific fashion, they give you printed paper menus of the dinner service on board and the meal selections available.

Some American passengers were asking others "do we have to pay for this? how much is it?"

:smug:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

air- posted:

This should be the default best answer for anyone in the US traveling abroad.

Besides Schwab, people should either be using T-Mobile or Google Fi. The international roaming is ridiculous. The free hour of GoGo with T-Mobile on domestic flights is great, too.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

Verizon has been great and the data plan access for $5 a day is great.

Also work pays for it so who cares.

Life is great when you're spending Other People's Money (OPM), but not everyone falls under the same travel or reimbursement policy.

Sometimes work pays for business class. Sometimes work pays for economy class!

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

caberham posted:

You would think leaving your house and traveling and going to places for work would make you less goony. But nope, some of you guys are still goony as gently caress

:goonsay:

I was in the Qantas First Class lounge at LAX the other day, and there was one guy eating a burger with a tripod set up with his camera facing himself, and he was filming himself eating and doing a self-interview.

I'll be damned if I didn't say that this kind of goony poo poo doesn't take away from ~my premium experience~

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

Hey finally eligible for registered traveler to the U.K.

Bye border force

It's expensive as hell. 70 GBP for first year. and then as I recently found out, 20 GBP for keeping it for the same year if you get a new passport. Compared for 5 years for $50 for GE, what a rip-off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 767 cruises at the same speed as anything else, what are you talking about?

767s are actually noticeably slower compared to other widebodies; their flights are much more prone to delays on arrival, because airlines set a standard buffer for their schedules but don't differentiate between equipment. This is particularly noticeable on long-haul. Dreamliners, on the other hand, tend to often have early arrival from their higher cruising altitudes and faster cruise speeds.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 22, 2016

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am far too lazy to pull a bunch of flightaware data but I doubt there's a statistically significant effect.

You might be right. I don't care enough about it to start looking up info, I just know that the 767 has a lower cruising speed. This can add up over a long-haul flight. Maybe 30mins to an hour for a long transpacific flight.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Noctone posted:

Dang, dude on my flight from OGG-SFO was Plat 1K. That's a hell of a lot of flying.

Premier 1K*. Platinum is below 1K. 100K flown miles is not too crazy. And some of the folks traveling in First/Business are cheating because they get up to 300% qualifying miles for each flown mile on some fares. Must be nice..

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Lots of crazy $400-500 r/t USA Europe fares today. Love that AA let me place holds on a few trips to Madrid, Geneva, and Amsterdam.

United also matched but messed up on their el cheapo economy fire sale and filed V class fares. The person responsible probably matched Delta's V class fares too literally, not realizing V fare on Delta is their cheapest discount economy bucket, whereas a V fare on United is mid-range. For 1Ks, that means you can use GPUs on them. The fares were pulled earlier. I know some folks who are basically flying business class on these 400-500$ fares.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mandalay posted:

It's confusing to me that AA can sell ex-LHR fares (e.g. LHR-LAX) and ex-continent fares (e.g. FCO-PHL-LAX) at the same $400 all-in price (on some dates). Aren't they on the hook for a huge amount of UK APD?

Yes. That's why ex-LHR is usually more expensive overall, both as a destination and as an origination.

Cacafuego posted:

I've got flights coming up, MCO-SAN, SAN-SEA, SEA-MCO. Corp policy changed to allow nonstop flights over flights with stops if at all possible, regardless of price. I should be doing them nonstop on Alaska, correct?

Absolutely. Best mileage accrual (100% min. for all fare classes), good chances for confirm upgrades (if you have Gold Guest Upgrades), or complimentary upgrades if you are elite.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

China Eastern Airlines: Business Class with Chinese Characteristics.

Overall not bad, great hard product and fairly cheap. I'd do it again.
I always wanted to try to upgrade to First Class on their 77Ws. I hear they have actual double beds, like Singapore Airlines. But I would not be expecting much from food/drink/service in that regard.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Will I be able to get into the JFK Delta Sky Club with my Amex Plat if I'm flying PE on a Virgin Atlantic flight that codeshares with Delta?

EDIT: Yes, if you can show that you bought it as a DL marketed flight.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 25, 2016

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Hmmm...Delta does market it, but I bought directly through Virgin. I'll give it a shot.

e: I got in because the agent made an exception, but I feel like I put her out a little and I'm a little :smith: about it
It's just silly rules. Either way, Delta is making money since they are in a joint venture with Virgin Atlantic, and they do earn some amount from AMEX for each lounge access from credit card holders.

If you bought directly through Virgin you likely were on a Virgin-marketed flight, meaning it was sold under VS flight numbers. Whereas if you bought the same flight from Delta, it would have been sold under DL flight numbers as a codeshare (even if it's operated by Virgin).

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mackieman posted:

I'm a 1K, except that I've got more than 205,000 PQMs flown this year (and a few more if my unprotected connection in LIM holds tonight) so I really should be a 2K. Sadly, all I got was a couple more upgrade certs. ;)

If you're flying high-enough fare classes, there's a reconsideration form for Global Services somewhere.

caberham posted:

If you use bose you deserve to pay full fare everyday
That's not how it works itt, it's usually opm (other people's money)

DJCobol posted:

It also really depends on where you have to travel as well. Are you going to be going to just a few places on a regular basis that are 1 hop flights away from your home airport? Or are you going to be doing transcon flights with multiple stops to lovely little podunk towns where Applebees is the fanciest place there is?
Olive Garden. :colbert:

ThoiBoi posted:

Yeah 25% would get you nearly nothing.. I'm about 100% travel consultant (fly out Sunday night red-eye and back Thursday evenings) and will have over 300K MQM with Delta this year. Being Diamond is what makes traveling worthwhile because I see it as an investment (put in the time on work's dime and I reap the benefits while traveling with friends/gf/family leisurely). Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Marriott as well.
If you're 100% travel, and have 300K MQMs, then 25% of 300K MQMs is 75k MQMs which is Platinum. :rolleyes:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

Whatever is cheap and comfortable. You are listening to compressed music without a headphone amp so don't overthink it.

If the hotels are nice 25% travel is great. Get platinum, book exit rows for free at booking, and take an occasional upgrade.

It all depends. I'd travel 75% of the time if I was staying at the Savoy regularly. Four Points? A lot less.
Courtyard.... by Marriott :colbert:

Yeah, it's annoying when some borderline motel places are part of a global hotel brand. Especially with the SPG merger. And the fact that they don't want to dump a single brand.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'm in a Courtyard right now. What's wrong with them?

No free breakfast, no executive lounge, no nothing for elites :smith:

They are basically a worse version of a Marriott in every way. Even Residence Inns, Fairfield Inns, and Springhill Suites offers free breakfast.

Mandalay posted:

IHG will give you free platinum elite with their credit card, which is worth holding onto for the free night every year (offsets the annual fee). You can also get free national car rental status from CC.
Also consider the Ritz-Carlton card that has a hefty annual fee, but has Gold status at Marriott/SPG and airline credits and lounge access to offset the high cost.

Cacafuego posted:

Do AA 500 mile upgrades roll over year to year or do I need to use them before they disappear? I'd like to save them for use for my SO and I on vacations, but if they'll disappear, I'll guess I'll be flying F transcon a few times to use them up.
They roll over. You can only use them on elite accounts, so make sure you have at least Gold.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

I think the Alaska Board Room at LAX is pretty nice, but I fly coach to Israel 4 times a year and my company won't even pay for an upgrade to economy plus seats so what do I know about luxury?

My main issue with the Amex is that United doesn't do mileage transfers on points, so the points are totally worthless for me.

I'll take AMEX points off your hands :colbert:

If you're flying to Israel 4 times a year, you should be able to get at least get a mid-tier airline status that would make lounge access no longer an issue, so you don't need to rely on AMEX Plat/Priority Pass for lounge access.

Erwin posted:

I took the 25% travel job. Looking forward to joining you all in liver failure, heart failure, and bedbugs, but only 25% as much.

Only 25% of the fun, you mean

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

Also, the chase sapphire reserve is so much better than the amex platinum unless you fly delta AND your hub airport has a centurion lounge.

Mandalay posted:

Why? Please tell me about these fantastic Priority Pass lounges in the US. Last week I was in the very sad PHX "The Club".

At some point, a lounge is worse than a an airport restaurant/bar. I just cancelled my Citi AA Exec card because some AA lounges were just not really worth the effort.
Priority Pass lounges are completely hit or miss, and vary widely depending on your travel route. And yes, many lounges are even worse than an airport restaurant/bar, or in some cases, even just waiting in the drat terminal.

I've been inside lounges where there's no seating, or where there's no power outlets, and the terminal outside has plenty of seating and places to charge your phone or work on your laptop. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I would say AMEX Platinum is great for not just Delta fliers, but everybody that's non-elite. So maybe you meant flying Delta OR your hub airport has a Centurion lounge. There's one at MIA and DFW, and they're both excellent for AA fliers. There's one at SFO and IAH, both accessible to UA fliers. And they're miles ahead of whatever the airline is offering.

Last time I checked, the DFW Admirals Club/Flagship Dining was a complete joke, the MIA oneworld Premium lounge was a pain in the rear end to walk to, and every United Club has sucked in forever. (Except LHR. And maybe the new LAX one that's opening up.)

I would never, ever pay for a lounge membership (or a credit card that does): it's the same cost as an AMEX Platinum, but I would say an AMEX Platinum is 5x more useful.

If you live in a non-hub, or don't connect through the big hubs with a Centurion lounge often, then yes, maybe consider the CSP for Priority Pass only.

KillHour posted:

United Platinum, but that only gets you lounge when you fly international. Most of my flights are domestic. Are any airlines including lounge for free with status any more?
Any non-United Star Alliance Gold status will get you access, such as Aegean, Air Canada, Air China, etc. Most of my travel is international, so it was pointless for me to accrue in UA since I was not going to be using UA status for complimentary domestic upgrades. Used to be 1K.

If you're flying domestic, then you should continue accruing to UA for the complimentary upgrades. You should conditionally get an AMEX Platinum for lounge access. Don't pay for United Club access.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 30, 2016

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

I agree that I would never pay for a lounge membership. BUT, lounges aren't the only things those cards offer.

- 3x points on travel with ridiculous considerations of what "travel" is.
- $300 back every year off your $450 card fee.
- Points transfer to United.

Those are the top reasons I chose Chase over Amex. The rest of the benefits are pretty comparable.
Or as every travel blogger whose main income comes from selling and referring credit cards through their links would suggest, "why not both?" :eng101:

quote:

I only ever fly international to Israel or (roughly once a year) South America. I don't do Pacific hops ever, so it's not like I'm ever going to have a non-United Star Alliance status.
Who are you flying to Israel with?

Star Alliance has some of the best global network coverage. You can get status with other airlines without having to fly that airline, since very few frequent flyer programs have 'metal' requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Delta does if you can hit Diamond (125k MQM, $15k spend)
ConciergeKey does as well if you get invited. Not sure about Global Services for United.

KillHour posted:

United does the flights to Israel directly. I rarely if ever fly a non-United Star Alliance airline. Why are the US airline benefits seemingly so crappy in comparison to the rest of the world?

Edit: Wait. Are you saying I could sign up for another Star Alliance mileage program and rack up points for that flying United? That's amazing. Why am I not doing that?
Yes, absolutely. And if you switch to another Star Alliance program and start from zero, you can still use your United Platinum card for lounge access whenever you fly internationally.

Another thing: many, many Jews are very loyal to United for flying to Israel, and DansDeal is sort of an online hub for them. You can find a marketplace (at your own risk) for buying/selling United RPUs and GPUs. Keep in mind the minimum fare class of "W" for upgrading international flights using GPUs from a 1K account. This way, you can have your company book "W" fares (economy class), and upgrade it yourself either with UA miles or a GPU.

KillHour posted:

It will likely happen next year, but the thought of starting over makes me want to hurl. That, and getting my travel agent to book Delta over United is like pulling teeth (it's more expensive, typically).
Delta is not in Star Alliance, so you would have to switch alliances and frequent flyer programs, which is a much bigger jump than switching programs but staying inside Star Alliance.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 30, 2016