Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

movax posted:

I should really know this by now, but any tricks / method to going for a paid mileage or $$$ upgrade day of? Delta in this case.

Still a ton of D1 inventory for HND-SEA tomorrow, but I’m not going to throw 300,000 miles at it. Would do half of that though in a heartbeat.

They don’t do bidding so maybe I’m SOL, but figured I’d check to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Not that I'm aware of. With that much D1 inventory and an upgrade price that high, I'd be willing to bet that the back might be oversold resulting in opups. Since you're Diamond, it might magically happen for you anyway. Nothing to count on for sure, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I mean, I might have done it years back when flying more meant easier status requal. But today? Pig gently caress that.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SpeedFreek posted:

The psychedelic tunnel at DTW is broken.

It was partially running last night with Christmas music. But yeah, looks like some of the moving walkways and escalators on the B/C side are in for their D checks and the experience is definitely off as a result.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
MKE-based so regularly passing through DTW, which is a decent airport all things considered.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
The last CR2 flying for Delta is doing EKO-SLC in about an hour before it is decommissioned. This is a notable occasion worth celebrating.

May Satan's chariot never again grace the DL skies.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SpeedFreek posted:

The plane where the seat pitch in coach is about an inch less than my femur? Good!

Still have to use the drat stairs to get to bag claim 1 at MKE. The knees are complaining about both of these issues this morning.

Where are you going down? When I exit the D concourse, there is a set of escalators almost directly ahead (slightly to the right) that dumps you at bag claim between 4 and 5 so you can walk down to 1.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
DIY suitcase content is extremely my poo poo.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

deong posted:

Although, does anyone actually cancel/change flights based on the plane?

Lots of people did after the crashes in 2018 before the type was grounded globally.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

Wow

What's the analysis for SFO DXB if you're invested in AA and Delta as a distant second

QR all day if you're doing paid J. Same for movax, honestly. SEA-DOH-PER in QSuites is a civilized way to travel and credit to OneWhirled.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

movax posted:

That was with maybe 3 paid J (which is why I didn't get 360 I imagine), I just made a LOT of Europe/Asia trips last year in PS, often booking 1-2 weeks out. SkyTeam is still pretty good for my EU travel (Delta / AF / KLM of course) which is more than Asia / Australia at the moment.

Have never done QR or friends, or a Middle East route to PER... can't book suites but they have a business / lay-flat class in addition, right?

Yeah, they're not slangin 360 your way unless that spend is predominately international J. And even then in a base like SEA, that may not be enough.

QSuites is the J product on most long haul routes, and SEA-DOH definitely qualifies (I did DOH-SEA in April of last year). Looks like the flight times to connect to PER suck though with a 9+ hour layover in DOH and then an A380 with their normal lie flat J instead of the QSuite for the second leg. SEA-DOH is 14 hours but DOH-PER is 11 so it wouldn't be terrible but not as nice as QSuites are. The return is a much more reasonable three hour layover; DOH is a nice airport but doing that on any sort of regular basis and for business would be questionable in my book.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Another conference room rental option is Regus. I've used them numerous times across the country.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Opinions on the wisdom of booking SAS for this summer? There’s a few crazy deals for a flat bed across the Atlantic (prem. econ west business class east for ~1400 level crazy) but I have no idea if they’ll still be in operation, or if transiting any of their hubs is a nightmare.

SAS is the flag carrier of three European nations. Despite the bankruptcy, I can't see them going away. That's a decent price for J, though if their funding deal with KL goes through, they'll leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam if elite qualification matters to you.

CPH, OSL, and ARN are all nice, modern airports that are easy to transit.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 12, 2024

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Ooh I didn't hear about the possibility of them joining SkyTeam, I would love that. I haven't flown SAS yet because they're not.

Been to ARN a few times and currently in Norway/via OSL, both are lovely airports and easy to get around.

Yup, the AF/KL consortium is buying a 20% stake, subject to regulatory approvals.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

BOS -> LGA tomorrow at 3pm. Thoughts? :munch:

Yeah that's a no from me dawg.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Konstantin posted:

I am a board member of a nonprofit, and we often need to travel to conferences. One of the biggest expenses is hotel rooms, and with the greater diversity of our staff, it has become clear that we need some sort of formal policy about the sharing of rooms. Ideally, everyone would get a private room, but that would lead to us being able to send fewer people, and these conferences are valuable for staff development and networking with allied organizations. Is there a good model policy about this we can review and adopt so that everyone has the opportunity to participate while respecting people's boundaries?

I think you're asking the wrong questions. As a default for any adult in the U.S., when traveling on business, be it non-profit or for, the standard should be--and is as far as I'm concerned--that everyone gets their own hotel room. The question becomes how to you accomplish that on an affordable basis? There are numerous paths to explore here including location, rate negotiations, and use of corporate rate codes (though this can be questionable).

As for location, staying at the conference hotel is convenient to be sure but is there another location nearby where ride shares or a rental car make sense in order to save on the ADR (average daily rate)? Hotels, like airlines, change their rates regularly to maximize their yields and they know that a big convention with business travelers means an opportunity to maximize those yields. Staying somewhere else nearby can not only lower your costs, it can also provide your attendees a respite from the conference insanity.

Taking that concept a step further, if you have multiple people traveling, you can reach out to the hotel's revenue manager and talk about discounted rates because you're a non-profit. While a different situation, I negotiated a discounted rate with a hotel that my wife was going to stay at three nights per week for several months while she was in graduate school. It makes sense to the hotel to do that because they're gaining a loyal customer with almost guaranteed revenue. It saved me a bundle (and got me lifetime platinum with Marriott for all that's worth....which is nothing).

If your nonprofit is a small shop and you're only sending one or two people to conferences, I would also consider the use of corporate rate codes. It is, strictly speaking, not something that you're supposed to do but limited use of those on an individual basis has saved me many thousands of dollars over the years for my travel, both business and personal. If you're doing anything organized, with a group, or via a travel agent this approach carries dangers because if the property asks to verify that you're allowed to use that rate code and you can't, they may switch you to the rack rate for that day which is likely a lot more. Again, there are risks with this approach but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Anyway, yeah, everyone gets their own hotel room. The challenge is figuring out how to make that work.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yep it's crew rest. Happens at outstations more frequently than hubs or places where there is a crew base.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ROJO posted:

edit: poo poo sorry, forgot this was the business travel thread. uhhhhhh, we just changed our corporate policy so we can use personal cards for travel, so I'm about to make it rain amex, chase, and hyatt points.

I (finally) start a new job on Monday and have to book a trip for the next week so once I get my login information and change my password, my first stop is the corporate travel policy and then whatever booking portal they use. I am sincerely hoping they don't force corporate credit cards because I need them tasty points in my life.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

taco show posted:

Most corporate cards you can ask to associate the points on your personal acct- that’s what I’ve always done with my work amex. If you don’t have a personal amex already I think it’s $65/yr. I also kept all my points when I left my last job.

That's a feature the company has to opt into so I'll check but I haven't had success with that at large companies in the past. We'll see.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
The sage and wise taco show has it down. If you're worried about the credit expiring, book something that uses it. If you take the trip, great. If not, cancel it and the credit will be stored under a new ticket number that extends its life. I recently had to do this with some orphaned AA miles that were set to expire. Booked a cheap award ticket and canceled it after it ticketed; boom, another 18 months of validity or whatever their window is now.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Here’s an annoying thing I’m trying to figure out.

Every time I go through US airport security, my crotch sets off the scanner.

On the one hand, I’m flattered that according to the US government, what’s in my pants is apparently a potential security risk. On the other hand, it would be nice to travel without getting groped. This happens at multiple airports, and I do not know what causes this.

It happens with jeans and sweat pants. I don’t know what it can be, and it’s annoying to deal with.

This is the regular millimeter wave machines? The easiest solve here is getting Precheck so you almost never have to use them.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I've been out of work for the last seven-odd months and (finally) started a new gig last week. I'm now on my first business trip with a 40 minute connection in ATL because I like to live dangerously. Of course, there is snow moving through MKE right now and we're likely to have to deice which will destroy my connection.

Ah business travel, how I missed you.

Edit: Made it (barely). 🤘

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 25, 2024

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

movax posted:

This is Sunday, and the app dangled upgrade to D1 for 50,000 miles… much more reasonable so I went for it. Three seats left to pick from ~2 days before departure, thanks Delta Revenue Algorithm(TM).

All day, every day.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Also Delta is throwing me a bone and has put the 752 on both of my flights next week and I'm so unreasonably excited.

There are few things in travel better than boarding the aircraft and turning left.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Gravitee posted:

I got to experience the NJ earthquake this morning and now my plane out of EWR is delayed. How does an EARTHquake affect an AIRplane? It doesn't even make sense! (I'm super kidding.)

To be fair, EWR experiences delays if someone farts on the AirTrain.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

I booked a hotel with a resort fee and didn’t realize it. Has anyone itemized that through Concur and know how I should categorize the itemization?

Depends on how your company's Concur instance is managed. Some places I've worked in the past actually had a Resort Fee selection, others had Other/Misc and you specified what the fee was in the description. Either way it shouldn't be a huge deal unless your company's travel auditors suck.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
A buddy of mine spent a couple years in Saudi teaching at a school that was close enough to the border of Yemen to be able to watch the ongoing battles in the war there. He left after some hardliners tossed grenades into the school he taught at because they allowed women to teach. He was on a flight the next day and has sworn off ever entering the Kingdom again. Your mileage will most assuredly vary.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

knox_harrington posted:

I don't know what these things are but will do my best

You will know of Malort.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KillHour posted:

The current place I'm eyeing to stretch my money further is Japan. I can get a house in Odawara for less than you can get a house in Buffalo, yet still be closer to Tokyo by train than someone who lives in Long Island is to Manhattan.

The exchange rate is definitely favorable at the moment.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

^^Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. I had booked 2 separate AA award legs because they didn't have them available together. I'll call AA and see if I can get them to link the flights, not having to collect luggage would be much easier.

Keep in mind there is no such thing as "linking" two different reservations even if the airline tells you that they will. Because it's booked through AA, QR will see the ticketing details as two different PNRs and treat them accordingly. It is theoretically possible to check bags through on two different PNRs, but it is up to the agent at check in to be able to do that and it is extremely unlikely that they will be willing or understand how to do so.

Thus, you're left with checking bags to DOH, claiming and going through customs and out to a hotel, then back the next morning to check bags for the second flight.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

taco show posted:

I still have the record locator, so not a big deal, but does this mean I can't use the AA app at all for my boarding passes?

You can use the AA app without logging into your account and find your trip via the PNR. Boarding passes and whatnot should work normally.

OneWhirled is pretty lovely when it comes to partner benefits outside of the top tier. I flew QR last year and credited to BA because I had an account and use Avios to book cheap awards on AA metal. $7k ticket netted me 16k Avios.

Total horseshit.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Strong Sauce posted:

Maybe right thread for this since many of you fly a lot and maybe fly business class.

I'm flying Business Class on United into Changi Airport from the States so I'm going to be arriving at the airport a day later than my departure date. Will they allow me access to the Business Class Lounge at arrival? I'll be arriving in the evening and plan to book either a late evening/red-eye or early morning flight out and would rather save some money going into Singapore and then coming back to the airport. I read United does allow this for anyone who is arriving but I also hear conflicting things.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're seeking to air side transit Singapore instead of actually going through immigration and going into Singapore proper. If so, this is common and they have air side hotels in the airport for longer layovers. I'd recommend that over worrying about a lounge.

That said, lounge access would be based on your outbound ticket from Singapore because it will be separate from your inbound on United.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
It is amazing how a shower and brushing your teeth helps with jet lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

EricBauman posted:

I'm flying AF business through CDG later this year and I'm kind of curious to try out their lounge sauna if it's available

Ten years ago, just that idea would have sounded absurd to me

The whole of Terminal 2 is a goddamn sauna. Adding one to the lounge is wholly redundant and something AF would do.