Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I like ham, Can you please comment on the Southwest rewards program?

Nifty fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

What sort of resources/websites/searches do you guys use to take advantage of exploring the areas you are in? I would love to know cool things to do and look at, but I feel like I'm not always using my time and the area I'm in to their fullest.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Hilton raised the points required to book a bunch of their hotels. I have been loyal to Hilton but am considering switching. At times I go to middle of nowhere towns, and Hyatt etc do not have enough locations for me to regularly book at, so the only other option is Marriott.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/02/the-state-of-hotel-loyalty-programs-a-devaluation-story/

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Who wants to refer me to Marriott rewards and you earn 10k points?
http://joinmarriottrewards.com/Friend/US/

Nifty fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 9, 2013

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Pretty excited to be heading up to Anchorage, AK next week. Could have taken Alaska from Orange County, but I would like to take advantage of Southwest's double Rapid Rewards promotion going on right now (which also count for tier earning- thinking about getting a credit card, from which the welcome bonus also counts towards tier.. I and my gf want that Companion Pass!), so I'm flying SNA to SEA with Southwest, and from SEA to Anchorage with Alaska, and the same back home.

I travel relatively often (out of town about two weeks out of the month), but my travel is always fly in on Monday and fly out on Thursday/Friday. I don't know if I could handle all the logistical hassles of taking lots of short 1-2 day trips like some of you. I like to think that my situation is the happy medium, I suppose.

Nifty fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 27, 2013

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

The value of the Sapphire Preferred is far more in the flexibility of transferring points to multiple airline/hotel partners than it is booking travel through the portal. You get 1.25 cents/UR point in the UR portal, but for example a United mile or Hyatt point are worth about 2 cents.

The downside for you would be that, since you have the AAdvantage card I'm assuming that's your airline, the Sapphire Preferred doesn't transfer to AA. Booking award travel through United is so much easier than AA though.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Mileage not doing great but on track to hit Diamond on Hilton!

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

sink the biz posted:

Delta - 42 segments / 47k MQMs
SPG - 44 nights YTD / 88k SPG points (incl pts from Amex CC and Delta Crossover). Also earned Gold for life! :smuggo:
Marriott - 80 nights YTD / 162k points

Edit: 1 lowly night at Hilton

Holy poo poo.. 123 hotel nights YTD?! There's only been 141 nights in the year so far!! I mean even if you include the 5 nights that SPG gives credit for with the Amex that's still insane.

Edit: just checked your post history I forgot you're the one who posted this image

Nifty fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 23, 2013

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I fly Southwest exclusively for business (though I don't fly especially often). I don't really care about no first class. The biggest perk for me is how much better the return on investment is. I have only flown 4 times this year, but because they were business select fares, and Southwest has been running a double points promotion for the past couple months, I am already A-List Preferred (free wi-fi, priority boarding, 100% point bonus).

If you fly Business Select on the Company's dime, and fly Wanna Get Away for personal, your return on business expenses is 20% (12 points per $1 spent, 60 points per $1 redeemed). And when they are running double points the return is 40% which is absolutely ridiculous.

Nifty fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 24, 2013

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I don't have PreCheck since my home airport oesn't have it. However, recently I was flying out of PDX and TSA line was getting long. After checking our ID, one of the guards was asking people in the express lane if they were flying alone, and if so, to hop on over to the PreCheck lane. It was weird to just put my laptop bag down and not have to take it out, or my toiletries, or anything like that. Certainly a night and day experience, but it was really odd that they would bump us into that lane with any screening at all!

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I had an award reservation with United. A couple weeks after it was ticketed, I noticed the final return flight was not listed on my Reservation Summary anymore. This was a flight with their partner Asian Airlines. I got around to calling United, and apparently there was a "scheduling change" on this Asiana flight. I checked and there was what looked like the same flight, with same departure and arrival time.

The phone agent wouldn't be clear when I was questioning why I got bumped off the flight, and kept saying it was a scheduling change and its a partner and there's nothing they can do. The first agent I spoke with said that her next option was to book on a return flight TWO days later. I hung up and called back and a more competent agent found two United flights, which were actually better times (shorter layover) that got me back to my destination on the same day.

I wonder if it was BS and they just wanted to bump me off an award ticket? Or if the flight did actually get cancelled and rescheduled at the same exact time, what happened to everyone with paid tickets? loving airlines.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Just wanna show off real quick how I'm hitting AA platinum this year. I got in on a targeted promo they had a couple months ago that was accidentally public for a couple hours. It offered platinum for 12k miles flown by end of 2013, and platinum normally requires 50k miles. These are all it's taking!

-One award ticket where my original flight got cancelled and they gave me elite mileage credit for the flight I was rebooked on
-One business trip to PHX, and I routed PHX-ORD-LAX on the return
-Only two actual legitimate roundtrips: LAX-SEA and LAX-RDU

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

There were two middle seats available, one in front of the other. A mother asked me switch from my aisle seat to one of the middle seats so she and her ~10 year old could sit next to each other, rather than in essentially adjacent middle seats. I gave up my seat for her, but still feels like a grey area to me whether that's a necessary switch. Then again, maybe her daughter is super afraid of flying or is autistic or feels sick or one of 100 other extenuating circumstances that I shouldn't automatically assume aren't the case. Anyways, some dude called me a gentleman for making the switch and that's all I need

In other news, hit Hilton Diamond for the year and go check southwest.com cause there's a double/triple points promotion going for the next two months! Might push me to A-List Preferred again this year. I love Southwest, since I can buy Business Select fares for work, and I have gotten 10+ flights on points already this year and have many points to spare

Nifty fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 20, 2014

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Southwest running their double points promotion, and I am raking these points in. I am A List Preferred, which means I already earn double points, and this current promotion is double ON TOP of that, giving me 4x points. When I buy a business select fare, I am effectively earning $67.20 return in fixed points value on every $100 of client's money. Thanks everyone.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Homewood Suites is my Hilton brand of choice, but that is largely because of their free dinner they serve Mon - Thurs. It's not the best but its acceptable and hey its free and I like spending less money when its available. Breakfast is lacking compared to cook to order Garden Inn/Embassy Suites/Doubletree, but it is better than Hampton Inn. Also all the Homewood Suites rooms are (guess what?!) two-room so that's cool too. Oh yeah, requal'd Hilton Diamond a couple days ago woooo

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I eat the hotel breakfasts because I don't directly expense meals, I get a flat per diem no matter what I spend. So by eating hotel breakfast, taking a couple yogurts and bagels to work for lunch, and eating Homewood Suites dinner for free, I spend $0 on food but still pocket the entire per diem. The per diem is just like added salary so spending money on food still is coming out of my pocket

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I perform audits on behalf of banks, on companies that are applying for loans with the banks. Job is about 1/3rd travel. I also use all those points and travel a lot on my own too. I keep track of this cause I'm a nerd and so far 2014 I've been out of town 71 nights for business and 61 nights for pleasures

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

How do you track it? Spreadsheets or something fancier?

Track my out of town nights just using a Google sheet, so I can edit wherever I am. It's just four columns.. two columns each for personal and business: out of town nights, and destination.

My flight memory isnt impressive enough to even post it, but I use that too. Can't fathom keeping track of everything you guys do though, I just put origin/destination, and airline.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

puchu posted:

I should clarify that I was speaking in New Zealand dollars which are like .78 of a U.S. Dollar. 2k us in miles can fly first on that same route

Sent you a PM

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Homewood changed its dinner. It's awful now.

When did they change it? What is it now? Different Homewoods have different quality dinners. That was my favorite thing about traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

My work travel has cut down and I'm left with more airline miles than I need. A couple years ago I booked a couple biz class flights to Australia with AA miles for a friendly goon for a cost less than the retail prices of the business class ticket. If anyone is interested in a similar mutually beneficial less than retail price ticket, PM me