Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

TouchyMcFeely posted:

For folks who have signed up for Nexus or the like, what kind of wait time did you experience for the interview? I'm on the last step of choosing where to have my interview and I'll likely do it at either Denver or Seattle but I'm curious about how long I can expect to wait.

Took me 3 months from application to interview for Nexus at a large hub. I hear the wait times are significantly smaller if you want to go really far out of your way, though. I've had coworkers wait up to 6 months to get one in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Woo, scheduled my Nexus interview!

...first available spot is in late August. :drat:

Check daily, cancellations happen all the time and you can reschedule it much closer. My initial interview was 5 months out, switched it to 1 month. Closer dates were even up, but I didn't want to have to skip work.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

salted hash browns posted:

Those limits are so obscenely low I don't get what the problem is.

How on earth are you going to fly 30 PQS or 25k PQM and not spend $2,500?? That is ~$90 per segment.

I wish it was changed to only spend. From Toronto to Madison, with my usual 1-day's notice, I'll spend roughly $1500 for 4 segments round-trip, or 2k miles (with the minimum). Getting Silver status alone costs over $10,000, so 1K level.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

TheLizard posted:

I just want to give a big old F You to any airport that doesn't have free wifi.

Yeah, I'm looking at you, ATL.

The real trick is to stand outside of any lounge and steal their fabulous wifi.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Charging for wifi is common at hubs. LAX also charges.

LAX has complimentary 1-hour wifi that you can repeatedly turn on by watching (skipping) a video.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Is this a recent change or only in select terminals, perhaps?

Could just be in the Tom Bradley International terminal, I only go to LAX for the SYD stopover. Every 3 weeks. Getting a grand total of 0 miles out of it each time.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

Vomik posted:

TSA didn't even come up with it. A consulting firm did while they were hired. (surprise surprise)

This is basically a thread for people in consulting, let's pretend to be blameless.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Haha, we actually bought a package of Charmin mega rolls when we went grocery shopping. One ply is horrific and they only gave us one extra roll for a whole week and that just won't cut it. :( We also bought an Air Wick with lavender scented oil (my husband suggested candles but I think it's too much of a fire hazard in a small space) and a Glade air freshener spray thing. And, on top of those things we picked up some Lysol wipes and paper towels to make cleaning up after ourselves when we cook a little bit easier.

I made a mental list of nearby places with wifi so that I can go work somewhere else. There are a couple different public libraries, three different coffee shops, a bookstore, etc. We each have a car, so that helps. Today we went to the local flea market to walk around just to get out of here.

Oh! And we also have our own bath towels and wash cloths. They provide them but it's nice to have our own, frankly. I'd recommend this for any stays of longer than a week.

Might I ask how many bags you checked in

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005
Flew 120k miles at 0% earn, mixed emotions. On the one hand, I'd probably use the miles for upgrades, but on the other, all of my flights were business class anyway.

Working with airlines leads to no status is what I'm getting at here.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005
Just did a ORD -> YYZ flight and was able to buy a business upgrade on an embraer 175 from 20c to 2a for $40. I've never seen the upgrade option be so cheap. Made back all of that in alcohol, with free space just being a perk.

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

taco show posted:

It's such a short flight though... Barely 1:20 on the long end. I usually only try for upgrades in flights closer to 3+ hours

Ended up being just shy of 3 hours end to end. Never underestimate ORD delays on the tarmac!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

DJCobol posted:

As much as I dislike what Southwest has done with Earlybird, their boarding process was usually pretty painless. You had the occasional idiot that didn't know when to get up and stand in line, or who would try and crash the gate, or when family boarding was, or my favorite "I'm saving these 2 rows for others in the C group!" but it wasn't that often.

However VBITs on normal non-SW airlines ruin the entire process. A lot of times the second that the gate attendant starts talking everyone gets up and goes over to the podium/doorway. Look, I get it if you are first class, or priority boarding. Get up and get in line as long as there are no obvious preboard people around. With Delta, I'm typically zone 1 so I stand up (because I'll be sitting down for the next 2-4 hours anyways, so I walk around before boarding), but I stand way off to the side until everyone in front of me is gone. It's frustrating to see the same idiots over and over again rushing the gate during first class.

"No sir/ma'am, you are zone 3, please go sit back down"

And then again during SkyPriority.

And then again during zone 1 or zone 2.

This happens with every carrier. I used to walk right through when United would call for Platinum members or above -- regardless of what status I was -- because there's like a 10% chance the gate agents will check/care. It's literally a 0-cost potential-advantage. It will always happen.

Thoguh posted:

I think the TSA Precheck thing will fix itself over time. People who only fly occasionally are conditioned to taking everything out and doing the body scanners. When those first came out frequent travelers complained that vacationers didn't know what they were doing. Now security is slowly going back towards some level of sanity, and frequent travelers are once again complaining vacationers don't know what they're doing. It'll sort itself out.

It doesn't help that the TSA isn't even consistent about what PreCheck entails. At my home airport, for example, PreCheck still requires you to take out your laptop and liquids, but lets you keep your shoes on and use the metal detector. Different airports have different rules even if you get the three beeps.

I do a lot of travel between Canada/US, and even within Canada it's the biggest crapshoot on what's required depending on what day of the week it is. For months, you were able to get in with laptop, coats, liquids in the Nexus line. Now (as of yesterday, domestic flight) in YYZ you need to remove shoes, belts, coats, sweaters, and liquids in is still fine. Laptops needs their own tray. YYC -> YYZ is laptops out, jackets, belts, and shoes are fine. ORD precheck (2 weeks ago) seemed to be cool with laptop/liquids in, coat/belt/shoes on. LAX precheck (last month) required coat/sweater in its own bin.

You can't blame this poo poo on vacationers, I travel every other week and it's total bullshit on what's kosher and what isn't. I really wouldn't mind the Australian method of blatantly racist security, where all white people walk through freely (unless you're wearing a suit, in which case they get the dogs to sniff you -- which takes seconds).

Thanks, Obama.