Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Please do not recklessly link awesome chapters of ES21, I cannot help but read them and my boss will only understand so many times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The final arc sucks and exists just for the fanservice of having all the top dogs from the series playing on the same team. I honestly remember nothing from it besides Triple Dragonfly. I didn't hate it cause I'm a sucker for fanservice like that, but I would never srgue that it's good. Finish the Christmas Bowl and skip to the final chapter and all is well.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Garou was a genius to begin with and now that he's become a monster he becomes stronger with every fight.

Garou is the Murata Yusuke of ONE collaborators.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The haters are allowed to hate but regardless of the arc's impact on future events or lack thereof it's full of awesome fights and I am looking forward to Sneck and crew be awesome heroes. That's a great moment.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

When she's being played straight she's boring but when she's bouncing off of other characters (being ignored, arguing, ect) or it's dealing with her relationship with her sister then I like her. So I usually like her.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

When you reach the level of skill Murata has, you are allowed to be as horny as you want. Draw as much Mizuki as you need to be happy, Murata. I support it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus there is absolutely no sense of speed or impact in any of that, it is really sad. Watching Kimestu no Yaiba and then that is just jarring.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Comparing other studios to Ufotable is putting a really high bar.

A better comparison here would be...I dunno, Toei? And even there Toei has really high highs, so it's more like Toei at a really bad time.
That's fair, it was just the best looking thing I could think of this season. And comparing it to the first season just seemed cruel.

It's just comical seeing Suiryu bring up that huge block and then Saitama just kinda... bonks into it. Maybe it was like that in the manga, I don't remember, or maybe they were going for a "they're moving so fast it's like slow motion to keep up" thing but it just looks really lame.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It may hurt the pacing, it may help the pacing. The one thing it definitely does though is look loving incredible.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think they are getting there this season, so it will be left with the next studio.
Surprise!

Studio DEEN

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

I rolled my eyes at the girls in bikinis but then I saw the ninja and I laughed
If you can't appreciate every picture of Mizuki, you don't deserve OPM.

Also I hope Atomic Samurai is okay

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think the official translation uses executive? I forget. But yeah, cadre is not a common word and it makes me pause whenever I read it, no idea why they chose that one. Had to look it up but the original Japanese apparently uses 幹部 which executive works just fine for. I guess maybe they were trying too hard to separate the monster association from normal organizations?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EVIL Gibson posted:

If you go to the tweet, theres a drop down menu to select it to translate it through google.

That said, I have no clue...
Yeah, unfortunately Japanese is too contextual and riddled with idioms for Google Translate to do more than get the gist.

He wrote- "Sorry for always making you wait. The update to the Tonari no Young Jump version of One Punch Man will likely come out tomorrow. (Literally, it'll take until the next day, implying he might be working through the night.) Two more pages to go. Please wait just a little longer!"

It was worth the wait though, dang Murata is good at drawing freaky fast monsters. And this chapter was full of them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think One is probably a good mangaka and I look forward to reading Mob one day but the story and humor in One Punch, while very good!, are not nearly good enough for me to want to read through it in a tenth of the time and with one thousandth of the spectacle. I'm here because they make an incredible team that produce an incredible product together, I would have no interest in this series if you took away either half.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

Eeeh. Imagine if Vaccine Man had his storyline today. I'm not sure the five chapters of furious battling between the heroes, including two chapters where we learn that Lighting Max is pushing himself too hard to prove his promotion to A rank wasn't a mistake, would really help that story.
If One storyboarded it and Murata drew it, hell yeah I'd read that. It was super short when it first happened, if it happened now it would be because One had written enough to make it worth showing and Murata would spice it way the hell up.

But you have to understand I am easily amused. The only time in this whole manga that I've felt any fatigue at all, including the tournament arc, was Child Emperor VS Phoenixman because it was too long and I didn't think Child Emperor was a good enough character to sustain spotlight. Everything else has been awesome and funny and I wouldn't cut a thing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Elfgames posted:

a lot of the drawing out of things is giving the side characters more personality or cool moments and i just feel like child emperor didn't get much more personality and the cool moments were drawn out a bit too much so they felt less impressive
Absolutely. I know it was Phoenixman's "thing" that he kept being killed and coming back stronger but as a result it just made Child Emperor look really weak and incompetent because he struggled for like five chapters and exhausted everything he had fighting a gag bird. And Phoenixman just kind of looked cool after he powered up, not ridiculous or intimidating, and the way he was defeated was funny but also completely irrelevant to everything that had come before so it didn't make what had happened up until then worth it. So it really failed on every level where all of the other fights have succeeded.

GimmickMan posted:

I kinda understand how webcomic readers feel in wanting things to be snappier and also being disappointed that we keep taking detours on the way to the v. cool and good stuff that's ahead of us but I don't mind it personally. To me a big part of this manga's appeal is appreciating the love for the craft that Murata shows and how he pours his soul into every page of this dumb funny punchmans comic. I'm getting that whether he's drawing webcomic material or not, so I don't mind the pace and tweaks to the story at all.
This is such a huge part of it, I feel. I've never read One's manga so I have no idea what's coming next. Nothing is filler, nothing is a delay or a detour, this is the manga and it's literally what One wants the work to be.

It's like people read a rough outline of a novel and it sounded awesome but now they to wait and read through finished product bit by bit. They know what happens and they're impatient to get to the good parts and the bits that got added in-between don't excite them as much because they know what is and isn't relevant to the upcoming plot twists or epic moments or whatever.

Obviously not everyone is like that, people can have legitimate grievances with the pacing, but I feel like that's where a lot of it comes from. It's definitely why I stopped watching the One Piece anime for example, I know what happens and I can't sit through poo poo pacing and awful filler waiting for the parts I want to see.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

By the same logic, you could call the manga a rough outline for the anime, but even if that were true it doesn't mean you have to prefer it.
Oh certainly not, my point wasn't that one was better than the other, I was just expressing a theory as to why non-ONE readers might be responding more favorably to stuff like the Tournament arc.

But to your point, anime and manga are different mediums so I wouldn't compare the two. I can only compare ONE and Murata's versions because ONE is involved in both so one really is an expanded version of the other. To call any manga just an outline of its anime is an insult to the manga. That's like saying books are outlines of movies, they're adaptations not the same thing.

And that's just in general, if you compare, for example, One Punch S2 to the manga it becomes downright offensive.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

The manga is an adaptation of the webcomic.
It's the same story written by the same author, only expanded and drawn by a different artist. It's not a take on the original, it's the original but bigger. Its an adaptation but it's clearly different than a completely different person or staff doing their take on source material.

Billzasilver posted:

As you haven’t read the webcomic, trust me that this is not really the reason at all. No one in the other thread complains about the new Metal Bat chapters, or new best girl Mizuki, which were completely original stuff.

The problem is we can see events that happened in both versions, and judge the webcomic version was better. (The flashy flash fight, the child emperor fight, etc.) Or we can see brand new material that’s clearly not as good, like the tournament arc.
Isn't this in line with what I said? I'm not saying webcomic readers universally like or dislike the new content, I said as much in my initial post. But every one is certainly consciously or unconsciously judging the new content by the old which is going to contribute to how and why they dislike this or that.

I, for example, liked the tournament a lot. Other readers might not but my point is that SOME webcomic readers might have reacted more negatively to it than they would have normally because the lack of core plot progress and slow chapter release schedule was exacerbated by them knowing what comes next is being delayed because of it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

This is not the case. While much of the plot is the same, the character motivations, the themes expressed, and the context at large are actually quite different between the two. For example, in the manga the Monster Association is a very openly destructive, very public menace, that's being acknowledged as a genuine threat by everyone, and while the heroes have their idiosyncrasies, they are sincerely giving their all to defeat the monsters. I think I can say without spoiling the webcomic too much that this is not the case in that version.

The manga is distinct from the webcomic, it is not "the original but better."
I can't comment on the differences between the two since I haven't read it but we'll see by the end of the story how it plays out. Maybe then I'll read the original or at least a summary or something.

But I didn't say one is better, I said it was expanded, bigger, but not necessarily better. I hope I've been careful not to say that as 1) it's not what I want to say and 2) I've never read one of them so I have no right to make that judgment.

Of course things are going to change when you have, or at least take, more time to tell the story and develop the characters. Whether that is a good thing or not depends on the end results and personal preference.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Murata's Fubuki is the Fubuki ONE sees in his mind but cannot yet produce. She is too powerful.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

It's weird they left his name as Mumen Rider but translated Tatsumaki and Fubuki's names.

Also on account of OPM being a relatively young series a lot of the moves are just boring.
It is strange. For most of the cast they went with their hero names so it makes sense to translate them. But then Saitama and Genos get their normal names.

I think Mumen Rider goes untranslated because they couldn't find a good way to keep the Kamen Rider pun in English. A lot of people like Common Rider, and I do too, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone who doesn't already know what Kamen Rider is and it doesn't communicate the joke that he doesn't have his motorcycle license. Even the original "Licenseless Rider" from the scans doesn't work since without knowing what Kamen Rider's deal is you won't know what license he's supposed to have. I personally like "Unmasked Rider" or "Nonmasked Rider" but the former sounds like he used to wear a mask and the latter is awkward.

Ultimately, it comes down to this. The only way to properly translate Mumen Rider's name is to make Kamen Rider a cultural icon in the English speaking world. Get on it, Toei!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

lol at that announcement page with them getting passive-aggressive at Viz. Y'all are barely competent at this to begin with I don't think you have any room to shittalk an official release.
Yeah it's funny to have them try and throw shade at the official release with completely inoffensive translations in the same chapter that they have Saitama say he's "tone deaf when it comes to directions" as if that's something anyone has ever said. 方向音痴 does translate directly to "direction + tone deaf" but you don't get to take the translator high ground when you lack that amount of common sense.

Otherwise, pretty decent chapter. Didn't do much for me but it had good art. Seconding the lack of interest in Child Emperor and his fights, they have cute moments but I have no investment. At least last time Phoenixman was amusing, but evil water filled with fish? C'mon.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Maybe Evil Natural Water is better later on and y'all know due to the webcomic but as it stands now in the manga it's just overpowered water and I won't budge on that til it develops. :colbert:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

game related
All watchdog man's matches play in his city.
They really should
These details look so fun, it's a shame the game itself looks... Not that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

Hmm, kinda like a...one slash man I guess?
One Cut, gosh, it even kind of rhymes! Do better, Darth TNT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Now this I have to see the original chapter for.