Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
The OP fits well to me, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think if anyone is expecting 0 shounen fighting scenes they're probably mistaken; it will probably be paced like the comics, where there were big fights every few chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I haven't read the One version, and I don't really mind spoilers but if this isn't the thread for it then okay, but does anyone else think that Dr. Stench is behind Genos's hometown being destroyed? He acts really cagey when he asks Genos if he found the robot yet, tells him to tell him when he does and not do anything rash, etc. It seems like blatant foreshadowing.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

KoB posted:

I dont remember if its been revealed in the Murata version yet but Stench says that hes been pursuing the Cyborg since before he met Genos.

Personally I think hes a little weird around Genos because he knows that Genos is way too obsessed about revenge. He doesnt want him to throw his life away seeking revenge.

In the One version, has Saitama met Stench yet? In his first or second appearance he asks Genos to bring him back with him, which seemed like another potential evil scientist type plan. It is a pretty surface-level suspicion I have, though, so he could be just a loyal and dedicated father figure type.

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't know what purpose a false #1 hero would serve considering a lot of the monsters that appear have little to no knowledge of the Hero Association, nor do they seem to care.

I think people were saying it's for the heroes. A good number of them seem to pay a lot of heed to the rankings, like Blizzard group and a lot of the C-list dunces. I don't think anything's conclusive though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I really hope a future villain, to establish its superiority to humans, challenges Earth's strongest warrior (King) to any contest of his choosing, with the fate of the Earth at stake. Needless to say, the villain would have no clue what he's got himself into. At the very least it would make a good filler chapter.

Wasn't there a recent gag chapter just like this?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Can't remember if it was here or the ONE thread. I could've sworn Fubuki challenged Saitama, Genos and King to a contest, contract included and everything and King destroyed every single one of them because they decided on video game.

Oh yeah, I think it was the Blizzard group. Well, yeah, I agree that King should get some kind of quirky moment in the spotlight for his virtues, like the other non-Saitama heroes. I think it'd be neat if something gave him the courage to take up Saitama's advice to do the work to become strong.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I love the OP and how it fits with the series by being a joke accompanied by awesome fights

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Sea king: anticlimactic

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I love this part of OPM where Saitama starts really getting into the weeds with the petty politics and hassle that come with the Hero community and just utterly disregarding it. The animation in this second episode wasn't so bad either. The voice cast is also still highly entertaining.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Mmm, no good. All the fancy animation is saved for Genos, but nothing he does looks anywhere near as good as his fights in S1.

Yeah when he was doing his powered up stuff all I could think about was that same scene in the Murata manga and Saitama vs Genos from S1. It's a shame.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone else find Tatsumaki rather lame? Compared to other heroes who are either goofy, parodic, creative or subversive, she just comes off as a bog standard insipid rear end in a top hat anime girl who smacks people when she's angry so we guffaw. There's nothing about her that sets her apart from any other anime girls who fall into the exact same cliche character setup. She's "unique" from the rest of the cast in that she feels like she's from a different, far less interesting story.

aoi yuuki

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I'm just worried because season 2 is starting soon

Yeah buddy it sure was

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

That's always been the case for serialized media. The claim of "badly paced" being the most common one after "filler!". There's been countless series where I got into it very late (or after it ended even) and it would be great all the way to the latest chapter, then I'd look at some recent comments and it's invariably "badly paced" according to the self-styled narrative experts.

This is excruciating

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Ok I stopped reading the thread

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

It got delayed and Murata is still nowhere close to finishing the arc.

Good. He's fantastic and the arc is amazing. No need to rush.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Eej posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/bg3wvy/overworked_madhouse_pas_interview_has_clues_for/

Apparently this guy collapsed from overwork at Madhouse doing 393 hours in a month of which 200 hours of those are overtime with Madhouse paying for only 50 of those. So maybe S1 OPM on that budget wasn't worth it after all.

That's one perspective

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

If only incessant whining on the internet improved conditions in the workplace for animators instead of the opposite.

At least they got rid of that director that also threw a tantrum about Kemono Friends.

It's not like I don't get people's disappointment with the series and I don't have a lot of good things to say about it, but calling it terrible just kinda does the people working on it a disservice. They do shonen stuff and OPM just has a different pace and style to that, that they can't capture.

There's little to say more than that.

Oh and the OP is surprisingly weak and lacks punch.

shut up moron

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's the former. We knew the animation was in a very rough state extremely close to release (the last trailer for the show is more than proof enough of this). The animators are likely being made to rush like hell to get these episodes out in time due to really bad scheduling, quality be damned.

"Budget" is a buzzword we need to leave behind. The issue here, as it was in many other shows, is really bad time allocation, not money.

It doesn't actually matter that people call it budget.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That sounds pretty accurate to the comic tbh.

It's better, as many adaptations are, in manga form.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Actually it's better in the webcomic and the manga added a bunch of stuff that so far hasn't really mattered with this tournament and its other additions.

Building out the world and characters with flawless impeccable art is important. Sorry that you need the manga to be a slavish adaptation of the old material.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I read fast so it wasn't a problem for me.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The tournament was much better paced than the early parts of the monster base infiltration.

All of it owned.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

It works better as an anime as the contrast to the Sea king flows almost like a recap.

This guy thinks the JC Staff season 2 anime works better than Murata's version. LMfao.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Even outside of the context of this specific underwhelming adaptation, a lot of storylines are paced and are just plain presented better in any manga compared to their anime adaptation. I agree that it's weird to spend so many episodes dryly going through these fights with bit characters, but in the manga it goes by in a flash and the studio should be able to compress time to suit the story. I don't know where this is going to end up, but I hope Zombieman makes an appearance before the end.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Zzulu posted:

The Murata comic is so drat good that it really does feel completely pointless to do an anime of it UNLESS it is exceptional as well, like OPM season 1 was

This is also how I feel.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's been other shows that have existed which have looked as good or better than OPM season 1.

It's not like season 1 was this miracle show or anything, though it was very very good.

What tv anime looked better than OPM S1?

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm not going to say that black sperm deserves no hype, or that webcomics readers shouldn't be expressing excitement over a fan favorite character showing up, but a huge wave of "ooh boy this guy sure is amazing just you wait and see oh man" does kind of sour naturally experiencing what makes him good

This thread has been mostly fine about that though

Yeah I don't really bother reading the thread

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
The arc was good in the manga version. The whole manga had been good, indeed.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
What side characters would you cut? They're all great.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Ok I'll grant you him, although even he has been involved in some pretty great moments, but a core part of the setting is making the heroes and villains mundane. Anytime a new idiot is introduced and then defeated in 4 pages it's a treat.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, this ^^^

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Hope they don't cheap out on the anime next time around (and a few dozen animators don't mind working themselves to death)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
After finally having read this arc to what must be nearing completion, I can finally agree with the webcomic readers that yes, some of the details mixed in were lost due to the length and amount of characters swirling around. All the (at the time) fun side missions and backstory reveals are hard to recall distinctly at this point.

Crucially though, I and other manga-only plebs could not say this before reading it all, so who exactly was all the complaining in this thread for the last 3 years for!!!!!!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I thought it was all good too, but compared to the story segments like Sea King or Boris, this one sprawled and had weird stops and starts that made it hard to take a "feeling" away from it. I feel like 5 of the big battles here were worthy of separate arcs borne of some unique situation instead of them ALL being jumbled into this orochi-garou epic.

Also no speed of sound sonic in 3 years is clearly a blunder, no matter what.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I wonder how saitama will get out of this one.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I miss Sonic

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

pik_d posted:

There's also a woman swapped out for a different less-booby woman

Old:

New:

Why remove a Lily appearance!? This is a travesty

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
It was superpowers

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
It is a goofy world, parodic one could say, that takes itself seriously, and Saitama is the one stepping in on the reader's behalf and calling out the nonsense. So yeah that's kinda his deal, but it is a legitimate character motivation for him to try and get past that way of thinking.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, THIS time the villain will probably pose a challenge to Saitama

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yay, I love sonic. He's trying so hard.