Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kabanaw posted:

If you're hankering for some Murata art then I'd suggest reading Eyeshield 21. He doesn't write it thank god because it gets REALLY racist at points but there's some pretty anime two-page spreads for a manga about football.

The racism in Eyeshield 21 is like the textbook example of how "I'm just affably pointing out the 'good qualities' in this other race," is still racist as gently caress. Dug the series overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

King is the gooniest motherfucker.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
People can talk about filler all they want, but this was a great chapter.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

AtomikKrab posted:

Genos could take a dragon class, if he loving would bother to have some goddamn defense.

genos understands that it's all about looking cool, not winning

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Moltrey posted:

New conversation topic :I think Genos is very cool. Discuss

no, cool guys occasionally win fights

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Blockhouse posted:

uh is it just me or did sneck and max just completely disappear from the scene

pretty sure they had the poo poo beat out of them while suiryu was desperately trying to jump out of the stadium

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this chapter was more than worth the wait, god drat

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the horrific and immediate end pig god put to that gorgon fight was so crazy i can't believe anyone forgot it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
pig god and watchdog man are tied for top s class hero

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

chiasaur11 posted:

He did the art for Eyeshield 21. It's a football manga where every single tactic is presented as the Most Dramatic Thing Ever.

also black people have racial football powers

but everything outside that aspect of the series is a cracking good read

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 25, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
eyeshield 21 did have some of the best character moments i've ever seen in a manga and murata's art helped that in no small part

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
to be fair, i think in all the discussion in the last page or two just noted racist elements, i don't recall anyone suggesting it was bad enough to make the whole work irredeemably racist. in fact, i was the poster that raised the subject, but i also gave it a recommendation in the same post.

i certainly enjoyed the majority of ES21, but when recommending it, especially in a medium like the internet where you don't necessarily know all the details about who you are recommending a series to, i think it's important to let people know about a fairly problematic section that shows up twice in the narrative.

and as a racial minority i know it can be just as disconcerting and potentially upsetting to encounter racism out of ignorance, even if the ignorance attributes your race "positive traits", as it can be to see hateful racism. sure it could have been worse, and i'm sure there are plenty of people like me and you who could end up looking past it, but it's a potentially unpleasant to just stumble across, so i treat it the same way i would an otherwise good series that has a skeevy sexual harassment character or a character who's actually a three thousand year old demon i swear, or other story element that has the potential to make someone very uncomfortable when they read it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
season 2 of mob psycho approached the forbidden heights and god is punishing us for our hubris

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if eyeball monster doesn't end up being part of the recurring cast of characters i will be upset

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, we're starting to run low on s-class heroes on the scene

maybe genos will save everyone

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Collapsing Farts posted:

I feel like Tatsumaki went down too easy and that is way too suspect

i mean, she did just finish up a fight that involved a few panels showing how the fight looked from space. so she may be just a bit worn out

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
loving tank top magic baby!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TheLoneStar posted:

Aside from some mercenaries, which I think some may still be dead in the current version, only monsters. No other humans have explicitly died onscreen.

that one scientist who got smushed on accident by his brother was still technically human

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Supersonic Shine posted:

ONE already did a series about a boy whose mind is incredibly strong and now he's doing a series about a man whose body is incredibly strong, so the logical next step would be...someone whose soul is incredibly strong?

no, he already did a reigen spinoff series

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, i continue to enjoy the hell out of these chapters

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
everyone was posting about the horny in this chapter, but all i see are the incredible range of comical fubuki faces we get in this chapter

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CannonFodder posted:

The only characters shown with simple cartoony faces are tremendously powerful: Saitama's bored face, Tatsumaki's brat face, Watchdog Man's bored face as he dispatches Garou(sp), and now Fubuki's gleeful revenge face.

i think her "that's a lot of fireballs" face is also extremely powerful

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
so the power was inside king this whole time. he just had to believe in himself

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Schwarzwald posted:

Lightning Fastman's sword blade cameoing in a piece of rubble is a joke, that Saitama bit was just a cool set piece. For better or worse, the manga has had a lot more cool set pieces than jokes.

i was reading through the chapter while ostensibly in a zoom training meeting, and when i got to that spread i had to bite by lip to keep from laughing on camera. so i guess i respectfully disagree

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
monaco is a good girl

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i choose to believe that murata is lying and this series will never end

edit: sweet vindication! rejecting views of reality you find unpleasant works!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Elfface posted:

Best Girl Monaka showing off the fanservice on the cover.

ok, now murata is getting too horny

edit: i think murata does the best drawings of massive scale destruction that i've ever seen. the detail and sense of movement he manages to capture is probably half the reason i started reading the manga, and boy if he doesn't still have it

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 22, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

glad someone else also thought of this and did the needful

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm so glad monaco is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Eggplant Squire posted:

I wanted to read the chapter but my eyes got poked out by the cover art and now I'm blind

my first thought was she should put those away before someone gets hurt, and lo and behold