Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

1st AD posted:

Talk me out of renting a 135 DC next weekend for an event I'm shooting.

Its the best lens, but I can't imagine it would be too great for events. Probably be better off with a 24-70 since you're renting.

Someone had the 135 dc on CL with a bent filter thread for $750, I'm mad I didn't get the money in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

8th-snype posted:

Which stand for "Da Fuq?"

FAKE EDIT: Paging red19fire to defend your ugly camera purchase :v:

The Df is awesome and I hate all of you. I pair it with an X100s and become King Retro of ShitHeap Mountain.

Yes, it's wonky, but you buy this camera for the sensor. I shot a bodybuilding show over the weekend, and chatting with some of the other photographers (who are creepy as hell) I discovered I'm at least 3-4 stops better in the dark. I think one dude said he was at 3200, f/3.2 and 1/60 on a D3. I was at 1600, 1/125, f/4, (5.6 at the show before this one).

It fits my needs perfectly. All I want is an OEM grip for it.

Muscle Grandpa also thinks you're all a bunch of scrubs.

This is me, thinking about buying a backup Df.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 2, 2014

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is the 70-200mm vr2 going to be a monster upgrade from the vr1? I have the vr1 (in super rare light gray) and there's someone on CL selling the vr2 at such a price that it would basically be a free upgrade.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

You ok trading corner performance for focus breathing?

As in the VR2 has better corner performance and worse focus breathing? or vice versa? Because the VR1 focus breathes pretty bad. I'm also only asking because K*Rock says it (vr2) has less distortion, but there's also some reported problems with lens coatings falling off internally.

E: I just checked dpreview. Yes, think I'll go for it.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 27, 2014

red19fire
May 26, 2010

emotive posted:

Weddings definitely aren't a priority. I've shot one for a friend, and I'm not sure I'd do it again... it was just a potential option. I also only have one body so swapping lenses wouldn't be very feasible.

A 35mm definitely is not a bad idea, though, as it would open up my options.

Oh, hello!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

D7k in good shape for $350 is a no brainer in my opinion, a good bridge to full frame down the line when used prices of d800s or d750s become even better.

Plus you'll be able to use non-onboard AF glass, which will set you up for when/if you do decide to go to full frame.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think this is going to be one of those 'yes, just do it' answers, but just to be sure - I should totally get that Tamron 70-300mm (new) over the Nikkor 85mm 1.8G or D (second hand), which is about the same price.. yeah?

I already have a 70-300, but it's the most basic Nikkor plastic AF non-VR model ever. I like shooting primes, but ugh it's hard to justify spending the same amount just to gain 2 stops, which I'd kind of gain back in the VR sense anyway.

This is an easy one, yeah? I hope so.

Try taping the 70-300 you have at 85mm, visualize more bokeys and try it for a week to see how it feels. Or rent one or the other, I think the 85mm 1.8 is an unbeatable value.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Thoren posted:

Thanks. I am extremely impressed with it so far. I was taking random shots at 1.8-2.8 to play with DOF and the sharpness blew me away.

There were just moments where I wish I had the ability to zoom. Also I was talking about the 17-50mm @ f/2.8.

Forcing yourself to get creative with a fixed focal length will only help you in the long run.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Spit and shine.

No but really just lint-free swabs and cleaning alcohol.

Seriously. I use Q-tips and cleaning alcohol at [NYC used camera store].

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Does the WU-1a only connect to phones/tablets? I want to try to set it up as a wireless tether to a laptop, but from my research it only connects to phones and tablets. Which seems like a wasted opportunity.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Good news guys apparently live view will jam the df/d600 shutter stuck permanently. Just in time to order a backup Df. gently caress, now I have to sneak out during halftime to abuse the best buy return policy.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What do you guys think about the D810? I love the Df for low light work, but I also kind of want to sacrifice some low light capability for some ridiculous megapixel power, since some of them get printed at huge sizes and I'm worried about them not being up to snuff.

Although one time I worked on a fashion shoot and the photographer used a d800 and the photographer filled up a 32 gig card in about 3 hours. So I am not looking forward to that.

VVV Thanks, I shoot like 4k photos per event, so I'm wondering how the medium jpegs hold up. the large normals of the DF are solid up to like 20" or so.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 3, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

powderific posted:

What don't you like about the Nikon pro interface? I love it and am always super annoyed not having it on the D750. Speaking of which, if you're going to shoot medium jpegs, why don't you just get a D750?

I want it all, drat it. In an ideal world I would be able to use the medium jpg's for high volume event work, and then have monster, medium-format style resolution for editorial or other 'serious' work. and ISO 64 :swoon: DxO makes it seem like it's only 2/3 off for low light performance.

I was looking into finding an older MF digital back to adapt to a Hasselblad V because I hate money and heave it away with great force, but holy poo poo those are finicky at best and only useable up to ISO 200.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nikon D5 is real. :aaa: Looks like they pulled out all the stops:

quote:

New 20.8MP FX-format CMOS image sensor and EXPEED 5 image processing
Widest native ISO range ever in a Nikon full-frame DSLR: ISO 100 to 102,400 (expandable to Hi-5, ISO 3,280,000)
Redesigned AF system with a 153 focus points, 99 cross-type sensors and a dedicated processor
4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) video recording and pro-grade video features
12 fps continuous shooting with full AF and AE performance; up to 200 shots in a single burst

:stare:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yeah, it's worldwide. I saw an article this morning. Before it was unnatural light flare, this is some kind of shutter issue. Killing me, I want to upgrade to the d750, but that's 2 major service issues in a year.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

gently caress, i just bought a d750 today. And they assured me the SN was unaffected by the recent recall :ohdear:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Then what are you worried about?

The article I saw on nikon rumors was like 'welp, more shutter recalls on nikon d750's' :cripes:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'll just stick with Nikon branded then, no sense in spending $20 for possible junk.

Seconding sticking with OEM's, whenever I've used off brands for DSLR or mirrorless, they last about 2/3 as long.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is it normal for a lens to be loose on a Nikon mount? My 70-200 is perfectly tight on my Df, then it shifts around when mounted on my D750. It doesn't really seem to matter, just bothers me that it has a bit of play and twists when mounted.

E: Apparently just a tolerance thing. Weird.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

I'm still undecided on the Nikon 200-500 or the Sigma 150-600 S. Next weekend I'll get to take the Sigma out for a test, but I remembered that I have the 50-200~ hole to fill.

How are the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR & VR II? Either would be used on a D7000, mostly as a backup for when wildlife gets close (and the big lens on a new D500). Seems like in either case, they beat out the Sigma and Tamron equivalents, especially on autofocus speed, but it looks like on a crop body the advantages of the VR II don'y really wrrant the huge price increase.

I have the VR. According to k*rock it has insanely bad distortion but "Pros don't care", also the in camera correction takes care of it and every post processing program has adjustments built-in for it. Capture One even dials in corrections based on zoom :toot:

On the D7k its probably going to feel front heavy (I used it with a Df for a year), a grip will help balance that out, and you're going to want a monopod because hand holding is going to hurt after a while.

I'm probably going to upgrade soon, but the VR2 is only marginally better: faster VR (3 stops to 4), less distortion, shorter but heavier.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ika posted:

I wish somebody were paying me. Then again I'm nowhere near good enough.

I'm just worried I'll regret not going with the Nikon, since I take lots of photos of very fast very furry critters, and I need good focus speed and I'm guessing maximum resolving power since its only a DX sensor with more pixels / mm (But I am planning on also getting a D810 / 820 in 2 or 3 years).

Those cameras are overkill in terms of resolution. The d750 is more resolution than most people need, now, with an awesome AF system for an incredible price. For focus speed and FPS, you'll probably still be able to find decent used D4's and D4s's in your price range in a few years.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ika posted:

At the end of the day if I shouldn't expect it to be sharper than it is, I'm happy keeping it, taking the discount, and having Nikon adjust it when I can spare it for a few weeks. I just don't want to be missing a lot of its potential because I got a damaged copy and didn't know it could be much better than it is.

This is from my hacked together focus testing stand. Since I was doing it outside the light changed slightly while switching lenses. The ruler intersects the focus plane @ 34 1/8".

E: vvvv yes the price it great. But if I'm missing half the potential for just a 20% discount, I'd gladly pay 20% more, since any increase in sharpness helps make the cheetah cub's fur look better.

Have you looked up what the depth of field is for your lens/camera combination with that focus stand? ~3/4 of an inch at the minimum focus distance seems normal to me at 2.8. I was having problems with sharpness wide open when I shoot events on stage, and I realized that the focal plane is approximately less than a foot deep at 20 feet away so tilting the camera up or down affects sharpness severely.

It may be worth it to keep the 20% discount and call it a free CLA at Nikon.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:siren: DID SOMEONE SOUND THE DF ALARM? :siren:

The Df is the then-flagship D4 sensor in a gimmicky but reasonable body. I used 2 of them to shoot sports for 2 years, they're very solid cameras with a bunch of quirks and gimmicks that camera forum dweebs couldn't get over and see the forest for the trees.

Pros:
-Insane low light capability. DxO put it slightly better than the D4 in the +3200 ISO range. My informal confirmation is from shooting in darkish theaters, this Uncle Bob tried to brag that his 5d3 was 'killing it' at iso 3200, f/4, 1/200. I was at 1600, f/4, 1/250. So like 1 1/3 stop faster :smug:
-lightest, smallest full frame body Nikon makes. Hand grip is kind of thin, so it sucks for an 8 hour shooting day, but if you can deal with nikon film cameras you should be ok.
-since you're into vintage lenses, the mount has a swing-away aperture feeler so you can use non-ai lenses going back to 1955.
-batteries last forever.

Cons:
-lots of fiddly-dials. I basically set the shutter speed dial to rear thumb wheel and never moved it again for 2 years. Also the front aperture wheel is vertically mounted and hard to spin.
-autofocus unit is out of the d600, and weak for lack of a better term. Most of the AF points are clustered in the middle, and they're not quite sensitive enough to be useful in the very low light conditions the sensor can handle. Not to say it's bad, because it's solid, but it's one of those things nikon could have included to make a more perfect camera.
-shutter is some weird electro-mechanical hybrid. Mine gave out at 45k and had to be replaced, but I also rip like a thousand shots a week out of it, and used live view a lot.
-usb port is some proprietary bullshit connection. Nikon does this a lot, this just pisses me off because I shoot tethered a lot and the tether cables are like $45 each and i've broken at least 2.

Not going to go too K*Rock on it, but its a solid camera but definitely consider renting for a weekend to make sure you like it.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 19, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Krakkles posted:

So ... I think I have a dumb question. When I got my D7000, I recall noticing that images taken in M were grainier than images taken in Auto, regardless of ISO setting.

Is there a reason that would happen? Was it applying noise reduction? Everything I can find says that it doesn't apply NR when shooting RAW, which I always do.

More to the point: now that my D500 doesn't have the auto mode, how do I reduce graininess? Images shot at ISO 100 even seem grainier than I would expect.

IIRC the auto ISO could only be turned off in the menu on the d7k. So even in manual mode it would still push ISO if you were underexposed. They may still do that on the d500.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yeast posted:

Bought the 19mm PC last week, got to use it on a retail store shoot this morning.

:stare: I uh, I can never go back now.

There's also an AIS 35mm one that's fairly cheap, I worked for an architecture photographer that adapted it for canon.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This is tangentally related to the thread, because I'm switching over to fuji, but I don't know how to even respond to this email for a pair of d750's I listed on craigslist:

quote:

I saw your posting for the d750s and I wanted to respond. I understand why you are asking what you are asking for it, and I think it's a totally fair price. I am not sure what kind of interest you've gotten on it, but in the rare event that you are indifferent to money, or just really can't have it taking up space in your house anymore, I am emailing to offer you $550 for one of the cameras. I don't mean to insult you in any way. I recently started a photography business and am definitely still an amateur, but I am getting really stressed and turning no profit because I rent a D750 every time. I own a d3200 and it just cannot perform on an even semi professional level. I am getting married in May and money is just so tight. I have been stalking craigslist and letgo for any decent price on a full frame camera. I wish I had the full amount to offer, and I completely do not expect you to sell it for this price, but I figured I would give it a shot in case you recently won the lottery :) either way, good luck!

-Lindsay

red19fire
May 26, 2010

dakana posted:

I'm fairly well-invested into Canon, but goddamn if I could snap my fingers and switch all of my gear over to Nikon equivalents I'd do it in a heartbeat. The new D850 is nuts.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/1585/d850.html

I'm pretty steamed that a year after I switched to fuji, Nikon finally returns to making a slightly less powerful version of their flagship beast camera, a la the d3/d700.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Phanatic posted:

No kidding, I can't even figure out what their intended use is at all.

The only thing i like about it is that you can pre-select photos to send to your phone while you're reviewing them, then they'll all be sent once you connect successfully. Everything else sucked.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Xabi posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to buy a D700 instead of a D800? It's still my favourite digital camera and really had all I wanted (except the big size, which can suck). By today's standard 12 megapixels seems too litle, but I never needed more and don't think I'd need more today. These days it's dirty cheap as well and just as great as when it was launched.

On the other hand, the D800 is arguably a much better camera, at least on paper. However, 36 megapixels is massive and I'd argue it's usually overkill for most of us. You can crop like a madman, of course, but it also comes at a price since it'll fill up your hard drive pretty quickly. You're also more dependent on great glass to take advantage of the megapixels.

I've only tried the D750 for a little while, but never really liked the ergonomics so it's out of the running. I'm not interested in the 810 or 850 either.

I think you're crazy for wanting a d800 over a d810. The d800 production run was rocked by an earthquake in thailand, it had some production problems throughout the run, like uncontrollable flare and half the left-side AF points not working. These issues were largely fixed by a few rounds of recalls, but iirc the d810 was mostly problem free throughout its run and made a lot of improvements.

If you're worried about file size, there's a small raw setting in the d810 and you can just shoot the medium jpg size.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

single-mode fiber posted:

D600 had boatloads of issues too, including some kind of fluid getting on the sensor. 610 allegedly fixed it, but lot of folks had already soured on that line, and the other thing is that D750 is not that much more expensive than the 610, and it was received very well, so if you're looking for a full-frame body at that price point, everyone just funneled over to the 750.

The d600 also had a shutter made of butter and wax, one of my old DFs had the same shutter and it died after just over 40k shots.

The D750 has a sensor that's miles better, but it's lacking more pro style features like a separate AF button. I used a pair to shoot amateur sports for a year, they're excellent in low light.

If you can find a d800 that has low miles and all the recall stuff done, you should be fine.

Xabi posted:

Well, it's mostly a matter of price, as I know some people who are dumping their D800s in favour of the D850. Afaik they have been working perfectly fine, but I do remember some trouble with the D800 when it arrived. I'm leaning towards the D700, though!

There's also the possibility that I am, in fact, crazy.

if you're *really* feeling saucy, the D3s is the flagship version of the d700 for not much more.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've been considering getting a D750. It seems like the best deal right now for a brand-new modern-ish full frame DSLR, at $2K with 24-120/4 kit lens. Certainly better than a 6D2, if going in without a lens collection bias.

But I'd thought that the 24-120 was a generally very good lens, and I know a popular local semi-pro photog who has made a lot of good stuff with a Canon 24-105 so I figured that the Nikon equivalent would also be competitive. But reviews for of the Nikon kit lens are more mixed than I thought at first. It actually seems.. not that great? Less good, all other things being equal, than the Fuji 18-55 kit lens? (Also considering an XT2.)

D750 bodies are $1500 new at my local store. Is there another lens that I could get for $500 that would be a better option than the 24-120? Really looking for a mid-range zoom with some portrait capabilities.

I know a celebrity photographer who uses a 5d3 & 24-105 f/4 as his bread and butter lens to shoot major A-list actors for editorials, all day. it's a fantastic lens. I liked-but-not-loved the D750, and it's worth it to bump up to the 24-70 if you can swing it, the older non-VR version is just fine. I also use the X-T2 with the 16-55mm 2.8 as my all-around and it owns, if you get lucky with the used market you might be able to find that combo for the same $2k as the d750/24-120.

The general rule of thumb is that you'll have to sacrifice somewhere if you want a longer zoom capability.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 19, 2017