Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Been shooting with a D5100 for about a year and a half now and thinking about upgrading. Some of my gripes with the D5100 are :

- Not enough buttons. I have to dig into menus a lot to change settings

- Autofocus performance. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a camera but I find it hunts around alot

- Small. I think I have relatively normal sized hands but it still feels like I'm holding a toy.

I was originally going to look at a D7000 but when the D600 was released I starting playing the whole "Well for this much more..." game. And that's a dangerous game because then you start eyeing the D800.

I primarily take outdoor action photos of motorcycles. Stunt bikes in particular. The action takes place in parking lots and I have gotten away with only needing a 200mm zoom to get some pretty good shots.

I do this as a hobby, but I would like to produce the best pictures possible. Is the D800 (or even D600) overkill for me? The only thing that scares me about the D800, besides the price, is the 36 megapixel sensor. When I go out I end up taking a *lot* of pictures because the tricks happen so fast I like to get a bunch of different shots. I see myself filling up a lot of memory card and hard drives (I also have a terrible habit of keeping every picture I take).

Any advice?

Edit - I forgot to mention that video is fairly important to me also.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

It's odd to advise someone against a full-frame body, but if you're barely getting away with 200mm on a crop body, you're gonna need 300mm on a full frame body, and at f/2.8, that's a little expensive.

My comment about the 200mm was a little misleading. What I should have said is that I have never needed anything that long. I frequently use my 18-55 kit lens at 18mm to try and get some form of fisheye effect. I rented a 10mm fisheye and had a great time with it. The point being most of the stuff i'm taking pictures of is done at low speed and I can just about walk right up to the bikes.

Would I be better suited sticking with the crop sensor and getting better glass? Would I see a noticeable improvement in the auto focus department with the D6/800?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Musket posted:

D7000 or just wait until the D400/D7000xs or whatever Prosumer DX line is next unless your ready for financial leap such as full frame and lenses to meet your needs. 200mm is infact short on FX compared to DX.

IIRC the D7000 and D5100 share the same sensor? Would I see a noticeable improvement in the autofocus department? Any difference in video modes? Does the D7000 do the same thing the D5100 does where you have to exit and re-enter live view mode when you change the aperture?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm pretty sure if you change the aperture in live view it'll update when you actually take the picture. Even my d5000 can do that.
I think the issue is only when shooting video.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Legitimate Pape posted:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/13/for-tonight-200-price-drop-on-the-d800-free-24-85mm-lens-with-the-purchase-of-the-d600.aspx/#more-50272

Nikon Rumors is reporting a free kit 24-85 kit lens with the purchase of a D600 body. I wonder if this is temporary or a permanent price drop?

Coming from a D5100, am I correct in thinking that that lens on the D600 would be the equivalent of 16-56 lens on a D5100? So slightly wider than my 18-55 kit lens? That's a really good price right?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Musket posted:

28-80 on FX is still 28-80 on DX. Field of View changes.

I guess I phrased my question incorrectly. I have an 18-55 kit lens on my DX camera. The 24-85 lens on a FX camera is going to give me a wider angle shot correct? And on the other end, when zoomed all the way in I will get roughly the exact same field of view?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Legitimate Pape posted:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/13/for-tonight-200-price-drop-on-the-d800-free-24-85mm-lens-with-the-purchase-of-the-d600.aspx/#more-50272

Nikon Rumors is reporting a free kit 24-85 kit lens with the purchase of a D600 body. I wonder if this is temporary or a permanent price drop?

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about this deal, apparently it is only valid for 2 days (December 14th and 15th?)

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Could I get a quick opinion on wether or not to get the service plan on a d600 and 24-85 at Best buy? I think it's like $219.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

Also, don't buy Cameras at Best Buy. Support your local speciality stores.

I have only gone to my local store once. I went in looking for a lens pen and the woman was trying to sell me a UV filter to protect my lens (kit lens). When I told her I wasn't interested, she pulled the "What do I know, I just work here" routine. On the other hand, my local Best Buy camera department knows me on a first name basis. YMMV and I'm sure my particular case is the exception to the rule.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Musket posted:

If your worried about your gear breaking, get loving insurance :colbert: not some stupid geeksquad plan.

Any suggestions? What would I expect to pay for coverage that would cover accidental damage? Like dropping it on the pavement.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

You can't do it that way: auto ISO increases ISO above the base you select.

This was not the case on my D5100 and now my D7000.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Kazy posted:

Nikon D7100 this March, $1200, no AA filter, 24MP, stereo mic.

I want one :allears:

I check this thread everyday for this news. I just sent in my pre-order! Can someone explain the 1.3x DX crop? Is it just using less of the sensor and producing an image that appears to be zoomed in? Is the file size of the image going to be smaller in 1.3x mode? And finally, would I get the same results by shooting in "normal" mode and then cropping the image in an image editor?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

It's a 1.5 crop, same as all their crop DSLRs.

Nikon.com posted:

The DX format effectively increases the shooting angle of view to an equivalent of approximately 1.5x the actual focal length of the lens*2. The new 1.3x DX crop image area increases this effect by an additional 1.3x for a total effective increase in angle of view to approximately 2x lens focal length*2, making distant subjects appear closer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's 1.3x on top of the standard 1.5 crop.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I'm really curious about the video capabilities of the D7100. Specifically if it will be able to change aperture setting in live view mode. I'm guessing we won't know the answer until they are released but if someone comes across a site that talks in detail about shooting video on the D7100 I'd be interested to see the link.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

azathosk posted:

The pre-production model that I tried today couldn't change while filming (if that was what you asked).

Rats. I'm guessing if you couldn't change it while recording, it wouldn't matter if you were just idle in live view mode. I'm sure there is some technical explanation as to why it's so difficult to do that because it's a pretty common gripe with dslr video shooters.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

The main thing that strike me, as a wildlife shooting Canon user, is the 6fps and an 8 RAw buffer isn't exactly pushing boundaries for top-level APS-C. By comparison the 7D does 8fps and 25 RAW, and the latest rumours are that the 7D2 will manage 10fps. That and skimping on the buttons for back-button focusing.

This may be a dumb question but how does the buffer work? Does it fill the buffer and then try and write them to the SD card or is it trying to write to the SD card the whole time and just using the buffer when the SD card can't keep up? I assume using a faster SD card would help a little? In real world usage if the say the camera has an "8 RAW" buffer, how many pictures could you get before the buffer is full? This is assuming that it writing to both the buffer and SD card at the same time, if it doesn't do that I would guess the answer is 8.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

echobucket posted:

What's the difference between this 1.3x crop-mode and just cropping in post?

Smaller file size and you can shoot at 7fps instead of 6fps.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
The D7100 ships today! Does that typically mean Nikon starts shipping them to the stores, or do the stores have them ahead of time and put them on the shelves today?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

The Locator posted:

So I got a Nikon ML-L3 remote to use with my D3300. I took it out of the box and removed the battery protector, went into the camera and switched it to the remote trigger setting, and.. nothing. Doesn't matter if I'm in front of the camera or behind it, the remote won't trigger the camera.

Is there another step I'm missing, or is either the remote or camera not working? If it's the latter, is there a way to figure out if it's the remote that's not working or if it's a problem with the camera?

Thanks!

Should be page 97 in your manual :

e - Just re-read your post and it looks like you're in the right mode. Sorry I can't be more help.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I have a D7100. I would like to take some pictures of some Amiibo figurines. Would the 40mm 2.8 DX micro be a decent choice?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

TheJeffers posted:

Is the 40mm f/2.8 the top of your budget? If so, it's a fine lens for macro shooting, but it doesn't offer any working distance (the distance between the front of your lens and the subject at the minimum focusing distance). That can make stuff hard to light, especially small things like Amiibos, but there are ways around it.

If you can spend a little more, the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 D is as good a lens, and offers a lot more working distance at 1:1. The Tamron and Tokina 90-100mm macros are good bets, too.

Thanks for the info! Am I ever going to notice the difference between the one you posted (~$450 used) and something like this ?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Jimlad posted:

Going to back up what's already being said - if you're shooting macro, a fast lens and VR don't matter all that much, so you can easily save money there. Fast lenses aren't so useful because in macro you generally want to stop down lots to get reasonable depth of field. If you're stopping down for depth of field, you generally need to use a tripod and/or pummel your subject with lots of light (ideally flash) to get a decent exposure - which is why VR isn't a necessity. These things are luxuries that can be nice to have for versatility, but I wouldn't pay big bux for them unless you know what you want them for.

It sounds like the lens TheJeffers suggested is a decent starting point? Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 D

I'm just looking for a reason to take these silly Amiibo out of their packaging and I figure taking cool pics of them is a good enough reason as any!

e- All I have is the 35 1.8 and 70-300 5.6 Would either of these work ok with extension tubes?

e2 - Looks like maybe extensions tubes won't work well with my lenses as I don't have manual aperture control on them?

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 4, 2015

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

That's my initial reaction on a quick read of the dpreview article. I don't imagine feeling greatly limited by the buffer in the D7100, and the other stuff all seems like incremental upgrades that would be nice, but not nice enough to make me consider a $1200 camera if I could get a nice, used or refurbed D7100 for about half that.

I will have a D7100 for sale as soon as the D7200 is in stores. I take pictures of people doing dumb stuff on motorcycles and nothing is more annoying than seeing a crash happening and then CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK..CLICK.......CLICK..................CLICK.................................................CLICK

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Probably not the right place for this but what devices are going to be able to utilize that NFC technology in the D7200? I'm an Apple guy with a 5s which I understand doesn't even have NFC. Quick Googling tells me the 6 has it but it's locked down to only support Apple Pay? Am I going to need to go Droid?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Probably a dumb question, but the D7200 would not have an edge over the D750 in autofocus performance, low light autofocus performance or high ISO quality right?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Oh poo poo, is that out already or did you get an early copy?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Sweet! Now hopefully the market will get flooded with used 7100s and I can pick one up for a song. (c'mon you bastards, flood already!)

What's your definition of a song? I may be a bastard soon.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Right, yeah, I sort of meant that. That is: I am controlling aperture, and then the camera is controlling shutter speed to compensate. Although I suppose you could look at it as being the other way around, too. Hm.

Along those lines (and sorry if this is a stupid newbie question): how does ISO interact with my manually-set aperture/shutter speed in Program mode? That is, suppose I'm outdoors in good light and I set ISO to 400, dial the aperture all the way open, and take a photo. Now, I change ISO to 800, again dial the aperture all the way open, and take the same photo.

Does the shutter speed stay the same? Surely the camera still has to not over- or under- expose the shot. What is my ISO setting even doing, here?

In your example the camera would be be increasing the shutter speed as you increased the ISO setting. Your image would also get more grainy the higher your ISO.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Am I the only person that loves and uses Auto ISO 99% of the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Does that serial number checker thingie check your serial against all the recalls or just the one listed on the page?