Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Cake Attack posted:

lol remember the one guy who was flabbergasted that he'd agreed to date Yukiko?

UberJumper posted:

Also apparently i entered into an intimate relationship with Yukiko. :smith:

This loving guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Didn't he also play an NG+ most of the way through before he realized (when it was explained to him) that some responses in social link scenes were better than others?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Which resulted in being the only person I've ever known to be unable to max all S. Links on a NG+ run.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Butt Ghost posted:

No because we're not retarded. Arguably.

Really Pants posted:

Turns out the target audience for dating sims is pretty bad at reading social cues. Who'd have guessed?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Vil posted:

It'd just be nice if the guides had something to the tune of "if on friend-route answer X, else if on lover-route answer Y" vs. what they actually have, which is "answer Y because guide author arbitrarily decided you must be lovers". Not just for the actual decision itself but for the follow-up events which tend to be a little different and call for different answers to get good points.

It's true that it's not that big a deal though - simply give the appropriate answer to the friend/lover decision and do your own legwork for best answers to the later events. I'm just mildly irked at the unnecessary inconvenience, in a style of guide that's otherwise all about having all the important information right there conveniently in one place.
There is a guide like that which takes you though friend and lover routes: https://sites.google.com/site/persona4goldenguide/social-links

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
"I love you. I want to be in a relationship with you."

WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON?!

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Color Printer posted:

How do you accidentally date Yukiko???? The option is loving literally between "Because we're friends" and "Because I like you" (and one other dumb one I think).

I hope he was at least intending to date Chie because you literally ask to be her boyfriend. You have to be not paying attention or drop your controller and hit X accidentally or something

Because we're classmates is the third one. Also he was intending to date Chie (and only Chie) from the beginning and screwed everything else up basically. Granted he didn't accidentally screw up so bad that he was dating every possible girl but a fair number of them. (And possibly only because he wasn't high enough on Social links for them)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Which resulted in being the only person I've ever known to be unable to max all S. Links on a NG+ run.

I missed Death by one Sunday because I forgot about the event in January. I also completed Sun on literally the last day of the game in P3P for my all s-link run.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've gotten up the fourth (I guess? Rise's strip club) dungeon, and it has gotten to the point where a lot of the random monsters on higher floors are able to one-shot my party members.

It's not even a matter of running out of SP - some of these things will just unleash a crazy 300 damage attack, and if I don't get a Player Advantage, I occasionally don't even get to take a turn before my MC dies. Really sucks when this happens seconds after finding a great piece of gear in a golden chest.

I did full-clears of all the previous dungeons, but I haven't gone back and run them a second time. Is it really necessary to go back and grind up levels to proceed with the story?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What level are you? What Personas are you using? If you're not at least level 30 by the top floors you probably need more experience.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrAristocrates posted:

What level are you? What Personas are you using? If you're not at least level 30 by the top floors you probably need more experience.
Level 25, mostly using King Frost and Anzu. I was fine until around the 6th floor, and then I started running into guys that are doing insane, party-wiping damage.

I tried the sub-boss on the 8th floor, and it was going well until he got a lucky critical on my main character.

I guess I can go back and run the Sauna again, but the experience seems kind of slow.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Level 25 is around where I think you should be when you finish the bathhouse (or at least in the low 20's), let alone the dungeon you're in now, so yeah I'd say you're just underleveled in general. Now is as good a time as any to go kill the bonus bosses in the other dungeons at least.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Level 25, mostly using King Frost and Anzu. I was fine until around the 6th floor, and then I started running into guys that are doing insane, party-wiping damage.

I tried the sub-boss on the 8th floor, and it was going well until he got a lucky critical on my main character.

I guess I can go back and run the Sauna again, but the experience seems kind of slow.

if you're fine until the 6th floor then level up around there, you don't have to go back to an older dungeon. also make sure your gear is up to par.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Stux posted:

if you're fine until the 6th floor then level up around there, you don't have to go back to an older dungeon. also make sure your gear is up to par.
My gear is the best I can buy right now. There's really not much available at the shop, even after selling all of the gear components I've found.

I'll go try the bonus bosses. The Contrarian King kicked my rear end the first time I tried him (everything is fine until he randomly does Rampage), but I'm about ten levels higher now. Haven't tried a re-run of the bathhouse yet. How bad is that bonus boss?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bonus boss is annoying because he spams Garula and Bufula, but he's weak to a bunch of stuff and drops a good weapon for Kanji. Nowhere near as bad as the king.

I'd say leave Yukiko behind for it because fire is the only thing it's not weak to, but that's your choice.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 16, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Only the first dungeon's bonus boss is really tough, the others are beatable pretty much as soon as they become available.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrAristocrates posted:

Bonus boss is annoying because he spams Garula and Bufula, but he's weak to a bunch of stuff and drops a good weapon for Kanji. Nowhere near as bad as the king.
Okay, I've killed both the Contrarian King and the Intolerant Officer, and neither of them dropped a weapon. Is it seriously not a 100% drop rate, or is there something I needed to do first?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's in the area where they were, it's not a drop from the battle itself.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Okay, I've killed both the Contrarian King and the Intolerant Officer, and neither of them dropped a weapon. Is it seriously not a 100% drop rate, or is there something I needed to do first?

Check the rooms.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WhiteHowler posted:

You have to walk to the back of the rooms they're in. There are prompts in both of them.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

They don't drop the items directly. After you kill them you need to look around the boss room for a spot you can examine, and you'll pick up the weapon from it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

On my current playthrough (my first one in the new version of the game) on hard difficulty I was 34 on entering Rise's dungeon. I cleared both previous dungeons on their first available day and have never entered on other days to grind. Then again I also had Yosuke at rank 6 before starting Kanji's dungeon and had an overleveled Jack Frost carry the poo poo out of me.

Are you making sure to completely clear each floor? That will make sure you're kept up with exp gains, especially if you abuse Shuffle Time and Golden Hands as much as you can get away with.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The Shortest Path posted:

On my current playthrough (my first one in the new version of the game) on hard difficulty I was 34 on entering Rise's dungeon. I cleared both previous dungeons on their first available day and have never entered on other days to grind. Then again I also had Yosuke at rank 6 before starting Kanji's dungeon and had an overleveled Jack Frost carry the poo poo out of me.

Are you making sure to completely clear each floor? That will make sure you're kept up with exp gains, especially if you abuse Shuffle Time and Golden Hands as much as you can get away with.
Yep, I'm full clearing everything, though as I said, I didn't go back and play through the bonus version of any dungeons.

I'm playing on Normal. Jack Frost and King Frost are my go-to personas, and I have a few other to fill out extra needs (healing, big lightning, debuffs).

My social links are pretty good. Yosuke is at 8; Chie and Yukiko are both 6. I haven't done anything with Kanji yet.

I usually just avoid the treasure hands. I can rarely kill them before they escape, even when I lower their defense. Occasionally I can kill one or two when I use Chie's "everyone crits" skill (Revolution?).

I'm not sure why my levels are so low. I check every corner of every level and fight every shadow other than the hands. I also try to full clear shuffle time when possible, although sometimes that involves taking "half exp" cards.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You should start Kanji as soon as you can, the event that unlocks it isn't available during summer vacation and he'll be woefully behind by then (he also learns one of his most useful skills at rank 6, for what it's worth).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrAristocrates posted:

You should start Kanji as soon as you can, the event that unlocks it isn't available during summer vacation and he'll be woefully behind by then (he also learns one of his most useful skills at rank 6, for what it's worth).
As long as I've gotten him to rank 1, I can keep leveling him up through the summer though?

I spent way too much time working on the emotionally damaged drama club girl, because reasons.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

WhiteHowler posted:

I spent way too much time working on the emotionally damaged drama club girl, because reasons.

"reasons" = Yumi is best girl

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

As long as I've gotten him to rank 1, I can keep leveling him up through the summer though?

That's right. Talk to the girl by the stairs on the 2nd floor of the class building, then talk to Kanji on the 1st floor of the practice building.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Really Pants posted:

That's right. Talk to the girl by the stairs on the 2nd floor of the class building, then talk to Kanji on the 1st floor of the practice building.
Once summer vacation starts, is it impossible to rank up social links with people that only show up at the school like the cultural and sports club people?

I didn't finish leveling up Yumi before school ended.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not during vacation no, but you will be able to resume their links once you go back to school in I think early September.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
So, I've been following a guide for the social links, and every so often I'll pick an option that says it'll give me the max points with a matching persona, and then it'll give me one less. I've got the right persona for it, so I don't know what's happening. Is this an issue for anyone else?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Which options are they, specifically?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Which options are they, specifically?

Well, I just did Kanji's rank 2, in Aiya's. It said that picking "Apologize to her" with an Emperor persona equipped gives 3 points-- but I only got 2 musical notes, even though I had King Frost equipped.

I've noticed it elsewhere, as well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Well, I just did Kanji's rank 2, in Aiya's. It said that picking "Apologize to her" with an Emperor persona equipped gives 3 points-- but I only got 2 musical notes, even though I had King Frost equipped.

Sometimes that happens. Don't worry about it. At worst you might have to change your plans around by a few days. Golden gives you a lot of extra time to max out all the Social Links.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not sure the number of notes that appear directly correspond to the actual amount of points.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

One of your stats (either Expression or Understanding, I don't remember which) has an effect on your friendship points. Also the entire system is approximated for the most part, there are no hard numbers.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm not sure the number of notes that appear directly correspond to the actual amount of points.

They don't, they're just relative most of the time, probably to give you an indication of how good an answer was compared to your other options (though sometimes there aren't any 3 note options). If you play the PS2 version on an emulator and use a memory editor you can see the changes as you pick them. For example, hanging out when you don't have enough points to get the next event of a SL usually awards 15 points, or 22 if you have the appropriate Persona summoned.

I tried testing it now on an old save game I have, using Ai's level 1 SLink event where you go shopping for clothes with her:

The first 3 note answer here is "Will have to come back". If you don't have a Moon persona with you, this choice is worth 7 points. With the persona it's worth 11, and if you have the persona and also went with her when she asked you out during lunch (as opposed to picking "decide later" and then go with her), you get 13 points. I don't have any savegames to test how much it is for deciding during lunch break without having the persona.

The second 3 note answer is "Buy it yourself" when she asks you to buy an Ice latte for her. This one is worth 15 points, more than twice as much as the first 3 note answer. You get 22 points if you have the Moon persona, and 27 points if you have the persona and made the appointment when she asked during lunch break.

Speaking of notes, the 3 notes that pop up when you decide to go out with them and a new event starts actually doesn't award points, it resets the points to 0 so that any excess points from the previous event don't count towards the event after the one you're starting. If going out with them doesn't start a new event the notes award 15 or 22 points depending on whether you have the right persona.

The cost of starting events might increase with S.link level (going to check that now), though there are probably exceptions to the "higher is more expensive" rule. For example, starting Yukiko's level 8 event (where you can confess to her accidentally if you aren't anime enough to realise the implications of the words "I like you" in Japanese or just lack social awareness in general) requires 40 points. If you have 39 points you just get the 15/22 points for hanging out, no event, and the spare 14/21 points are wiped out when you actually trigger the event next time.

*Edit*

Dammit, now I got sucked back into doing another playthrough.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 22, 2015

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I think I'm basically at the end of the game (just unlocked alternate Inaba).

I know the game goes on for a bit after that, but is it all scripted events, or do you still have opportunities to run around, build s-links, and such?

I ended up being one day short of finishing the Devil s-link and it really bummed me out. I'm missing a bunch of the other job-related ones and the sports club, too. (And Adachi's, but obviously it's too late for that one now.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You have most of January and a little bit of February more S. Link shenanigans. If you maxed out Aeon you'll also be able to go into a bonus dungeon at the end of this period, and finally there is another dungeon if you unlock the true ending (go back to Junes even when it seems like there's nothing left to do before the credits roll).

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Is there a schedule to the stat-boosting meals Aiya sells (not the rainy day beef bowl)? Or is it random?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm pretty sure it's based on day of the week, I have no idea what the specific schedule is though.

• Locked thread