Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I noticed when I was skimming through the Persona Compendium in the Velvet Room earlier that all the blank spaces for entries you don't have yet also indicate the base level for those entries. So that's nice.

Looks like I gotta be at least level 18 before I can fuse my first Aeon Persona, so I guess I should hold off on Marie's link for awhile. And Jester apparently shows up around level 20, so that's good to know.

Also, I like how Igor now just lets you see what Personas you can fuse with what you currently have equipped. Really digging all the changes to the Velvet Room here. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I know this isn't all that important compared to all the other gameplay elements that were added for this port, but I just can't get over how gorgeous everything looks in this game. The environments, the details in the Persona designs that I never noticed before, just... everything. It's crisp and clear and lovingly rendered.

It's like I'm wearing the glasses and the fog doesn't exist.

Also, cleared the castle earlier today, and say what you want about Chie's new voice, but at least now she:
1) sounds like a teenager;
2) actually emotes during her scenes.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Making my way through the first dungeon, and... uh... did I just hear some creepy groaning and the sound of chains rattling, something that is all too familiar from Persona 3? :gonk:

I didn't hang around to check if that was the case.

Yeah, I was hearing that, too... but they wouldn't do that in the main game before New Game+...

... would they? :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

So what's the deal with Marie anyway? Is she a new party member or just a new S-Link? I was unclear on how much they were integrating her.

New S. Link; she works with Igor and Magaret in the Velvet Room. It's her job to copy skill cards for you. Give her any skill cards you pick up from Shuffle Time, and she'll let you purchase copies of them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

... oh my god. Oh. My. GOD.

... You can use the Gag glasses as an alternate outfit. :swoon:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

... there's an intensely terrifying presence in this treasure chest. :ohdear:

... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- :gonk:

Oh thank god Jiraiya knows Trafuri... and that it actually worked... :sweatdrop:

So... yeah. The Reaper is back, everyone.

And he's not waiting around for New Game + this time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Good to see the bonus boss of the first dungeon is still as ridiculous as ever. I was thinking they might have toned him down for P4G because you need to be like lvl 25 (which isn't even remotely feasible after just the first dungeon, unless you're the world's biggest grinding sperglord) to beat him in vanilla P4, but that's not the case. A single Rampage is still more or less a total party kill. :unsmigghh:

Yeah, just found that out a few minutes ago. Went in with a level 19-ish party and got him under 50% HP when he suddenly broke out Rampage and wiped me out.

My solution was to retry and make use of some Diamond Shields I'd picked up somewhere to buff everyone's defense in a single turn (and also allow Yu to go on offense right out the gate instead of wasting time swapping Personas for buffing/debuffing). I also ended up using two Physical Mirrors I had.

Second attempt ended with Chie dead, but everyone else still on their feet. And as a final "gently caress you" to that rear end in a top hat, he actually killed himself when his Rampage reflected off one of my Mirrored party members. :fuckoff:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

Ehhh, this isn't really as serious a situation as the potential situation in Persona 3. It's really just a gameplay hold-over, there's no justifcation for it besides the fact that you falling in battle just causes your team in P4 to flip out and die.

... I fail to see how the entire world being shrouded in fog and everyone being transformed into Shadows is somehow less serious than the moon crashing into the planet and killing everyone since either way it means the end of humanity as we know it. :crossarms:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I forgot how much of a bummer Nanako can be, it's comical. "Hey Nanako I bet your mom is..." "SHE DIED"

May 8th caught me off guard. :smith:

Also, speaking of the extra outfits, does anyone know when the Featherman sentai outfits become available?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are the new outfits reflected in battle as well this time, or just the overworld?

They show up both in battle and in the dungeon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Necroneocon posted:

Another dumb question. I already met up with the fox, got the relationship blah blah. I did an ema thing and now it wants me to meet up with the fox again.

My question is where do I meet up with the fox I search all over and can never find it!

Head back to the shrine, walk up to the main hall (the building on the far right-hand side), and press X to summon the Fox.

Also, just as a heads up, accepting an ema request does not use up time, but turning in a request does use up time.

weast posted:

Does anybody know what the stones such as Iolite and Fluorite do?

Go out at night and head to the Shiroku Pub (where the Shiroku Store is during the day time). The owner will trade you weapons and armor for certain gem combinations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

So on top of being able to SocialLink your character's new abilities, you have to choose which abilites to keep or lose. That's a new think. I hope I don't accidentally gimp my NPCs...

Being able to choose which of your party members' skills you drop and which you keep was introduced in the original Persona 4. Back in Persona 3 and its two remakes, your party members' skill upgrades were automatically chosen without any input on your part.

Also, I didn't really have any trouble with the Wonder Magus guys in the bathhouse. Open with Makajam from Yosuke, follow up with Skull Cracker to inflict Panic on a second one with Chie.

Then again, I may have been slightly overleveled since I went back and redid the castle to get Yukiko's special weapon before clearing the bathhouse in the same day.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 25, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Holy crap I've hit Operation Babe Hunt 2.

It was everything I ever wanted and more.

I just finished that up myself.

I had to go back and make a separate save file just so I can replay that whenever I want, because goddamn that is hilarious. Especially the various dialogue options you get.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Marie wrote a rap about clowns! :allears:

Now I wish there was a rap battle event.

You want some of DIS whiskey? :whatup:

I've spent most of June 25th running around the Bathhouse and the Castle, beating the optional boss for the Bathhouse and picking up quest objectives from both. I'm currently up to floor 4 in the Striptease. I'm debating on whether I should just call it a day and come back later, or power on through and thrash the boss at the end. (I'll probably power on through.)

If they're not going to let me do anything at night after doing the TV world during the day, then I'm sure as hell going to get as much mileage out of it as I can. :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

My current rescue message is a picture of Chie with the text "Delicious Meat Dimension Steak?! AWWWW YEEEEEEAH!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Time to fuse! I need someone with electric stuff, this guy looks good for it! Well let's hit the button!

:stare::what:

... So was this a result of Igor botching a fusion or was this the guy you actually set out to make? Also, what is its name?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Incidentally, when do the Featherman costumes become available, and what is the method to acquire them?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I just had a weird thought. What if you make it to Valentine's Day without choosing any girlfriends at all?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Oh god, Ai and Yukiko just met, and I feel a sudden urge to flee in terror.

Never admit fault. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Regence posted:

Does fire boost stack with Fire amp? Googling it gives me mixed answers.

They stack.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

This is from an mechanics guide for the PS2 version; presumably, this stuff wasn't changed for Golden:

quote:

7b. Stackable effects

There are certain effects provided by passive skills or accessories that are
stackable according to the following rules, with (+) denoting a stackable
combination and (-) a non-stackable one:

1. Elemental (Fire/Ice/Elec/Wind) effects DO stack. However, the stacking is
limited to a total of TWO skills or accessories, and skills take precedence
over accessories.
Examples:
(+) Fire Boost and Fire Amp
(+) Fire Boost and Fire Vow
(+) Fire Amp and Kagutsuchi Vow (Amp and +50% accessory is the largest
effect you can have)
(+/-) Fire Boost, Fire Amp, and Kagutsuchi Vow results in only Fire Boost
and Fire Amp stacking

2. Resist effects from affinities, skills, equipment, and spells stack:
(+) Ukobach (innate Resist Fire) + Resist Fire (learned at Level 6) +
Kagutsuchi Pin (Fire damage down 50%) + Red Wall all stack

3. Barring Rules 1 and 2, a passive skill and an accessory providing the same
effect NEVER stack.
Examples:
(-) Apt Pupil and Omega Drive (quadruples critical hit chance? I wish)
(-) Angelic Grace and Cat Whisker
(-) Endure and Partial Award

4. Barring Rule 3, HP and SP regenerative effects DO stack and take effect in
succession.
Examples:
(+) Regenerate 1, Regenerate 2, Regenerate 3
(+) Regenerate 1, Regenerate 2, Space Badge
(+) Invigorate 1, Invigorate 2, Invigorate 3
(+) Mage's Mark, Invigorate 2, Invigorate 3

5. All other multi-tiered effects do NOT stack. The highest-tiered effect takes
precedence.
Examples:
(-) Growth 1, Growth 2, Growth 3 (only Growth 3 takes effect)
(-) Counter, Counterstrike, High Counter (only High Counter takes effect)

6. Ailment Boost and the Boost skills of individual ailments do NOT stack.
Ailment Boost takes precedence.

7. Other combinations that either do or do not stack:
(+) EXP-boosting weapon and EXP-boosting armor (i.e. Musashi Shinai and
Haikara Shirt/Mandara Robe)
(+) Cool Breeze and Relaxing Wave
(+) Apt Pupil/Omega Drive and Revolution (thanks Nasada19)
(-) Evasion skills/equipment granting evasion skills and an affinity that
is better than Resist (i.e. Null/Repel/Absorb). In other words, for
example, if you have Null/Repel/Absorb Physical, you will never dodge
physical attacks (meaning enemies will never miss and fall down). This
is because the game assumes a general mechanic that prefers the
automatic nullification of the attack. This may be something to think
about if you really like letting enemies miss and fall down; in that
case, something like Tam Lin's innate Resist Physical combined with the
Evade Physical he learns might be more up your alley.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

How do dungeons reset in this? Do I have to go out of the TV and back in?

Each individual floor resets whenever you leave it. So say you're in Yukiko's Castle, and head up to Floor 4 from Floor 3, if you go back down to Floor 3, it'll have a different layout.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Do you actually need Diligence higher than Rank 3 for anything? Nothing immediately comes to mind.

More fishing attempts, and I think there's a choice in one of the Tower S.Link scenes where you need high Diligence in order to stay later to help the kid with some of his homework.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Finally got a Vita after trading in a bunch of Wii games, though I'll have to wait for my memory card to arrive. drat it I just played through this game twice not too long ago.

I generally dislike keeping everyone leveled up, so I do prefer to stick to one party. The only characters I'm quite confident I will drop are Chie and Teddie, and then after that it's whether I swap out Yosuke for Naoto. I really like Naoto's new skills, but Yosuke was probably the second most useful fighter I had previously besides Yukiko.

Also gonna ask this again: do Evade skills stack? Such as equipping Yukiko with Eye of Ice along with her Evade Ice skill?

I can't find anything in that old FAQ I mentioned (found here). I'd say probably not, but I don't know for sure.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

That reminds me, is there a Round 2/Full Stats Max S-Link guide out yet?

There's a Max S-Links guide at GameFAQs, but it only goes up to the end of August.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Vaancor posted:

:ssh: Also, has anybody checked out the TV Listings option after midnight on the Vita's clock yet?

Just tried this, and :iia:

Does it stay that way for the whole hour from midnight to 1 am?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What happens? As depressing as it is to say I keep falling asleep before midnight these days

Teddie shows up, running along that line of static-filled screens at the bottom of the TV listing, and one of them will change color; touch that one and Teddie will show up as a silhouette on a static-filled screen, say a few lines to you and you can touch him using the Touchscreen.

It's not much, admittedly, but it's still kind of cool that they tossed that in there. :3:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Technically the Persona timeline started with "Shin Megami Tensei If..". A spinoff in which Tokyo is not nuked like the first game and the world doesn't end. A Japanese school get's sucked into Makai and a group of high school students need to use Guardian Spirits to fight off the demons. The female main character choice of If... appeared in Persona 2 later on.

She also shows up in Persona 1.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

e: Also, is there anything special I have to do to trigger the last Fox quest or can I just try fishing at the beach when it's rainy? I remember having to show a Huge Fish to the old dude at the riverbank in vanilla P4, but this time's he's not reacting to the ones I bought from Tanaka.

After accepting the ema's request, head to the beach and try to fish; weather doesn't matter. You should get a message prompting you to go talk to the old guy. Talk to him and he'll mention that he wants to see the Samegawa River Guardian as proof that you're ready for ocean fishing. Use Inaba Jeweled Beetles to catch a River Guardian and show that to him to get the rod to fish in the ocean.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Also, what exactly does maintaining the garden do? I haven't wanted to waste time on it, but I don't actually know what benefits I'll get if I do.

To elaborate on what Rasamune said, maintaining the garden on any of the days before the last day before the vegetables are ready to be harvested will cut one day off the time left until they're ready. If you maintain the garden on the last day before they're ready to be harvested, then it'll double the amount you harvest.

Cannot Find Server posted:

You also get slink points towards Nanako, as well as Dojima if he is home.

It also increases your Diligence.

Also, earlier today I learned why it's better to just use Mind Charge + Megidolaon instead of Power Charge + Akasha Arts against the gold hands in Naoto's dungeon. :downsgun:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 10, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone have any advice for catching the Sea Guardian? I've read both fishing books, maxed out my diligence, and I just cannot catch that son of a bitch. It seems like any time I get him close to being reeled in, the needle decides to bury itself halfway or further down one of the red sections of the meter, and by the time I get it back out again, the drat fish has already pulled himself back as far as he can go away from me. I've tried both tapping the O button and holding the O button, but it's no good, and it seems like the longer I struggle with him, the less and less frequent the triangle button prompts are. :negative:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

How do you even find the Guardian's in the first place. :negative:

1. Has to be on a rainy day.
2. Need an Inaba Jeweled Beetle for the River Guardian, Genji Beetle for the Sea Guardian.
3. When you cast, you'll know it's a Guardian by how fast the bobber is going and if there's any spray going up. No spray = no Guardian. (At least this is true for the River Guardian; I presume it's true for the Sea Guardian as well.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

neongrey posted:

Oh god I felt like a monster just for waiting until the end of the week since there was rain then and I wanted extra goodies.

Hell, on the PS2 version, I felt like a monster for putting off for only a single day because I was following the Max Social Links guide from Game FAQs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Oh wow. So I just put my third model up on the shelf in my room.

Seeing my hard work on display like that boosted all five of my social stats.

Shame I'd already maxed them out before this, but the sentiment is nice.

Also, regarding the Neo Featherman costumes... they were expensive as hell...

... and totally worth it. :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

You'll be prompted to see him alone on the night of 12/7. You have to say yes.

I went back and made a separate save file just so I can rewatch that scene whenever I want, 'cause drat. They really went all out to try and drive home the point that he's a heartless sociopath, didn't they?

Edit: Sorry, forgot other people here hadn't played before.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 17, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Quest-related question: I'm at the point where the December dungeon is available to me, but before I go and clear it, I wanted to head back and get some quest items from the older dungeons. I'm currently running around floors 7 and 8 of the September dungeon, and I can't get the Branch Headbands to drop from the Elegant Mothers. Is it not dropping because I'm in December, or is it just an obscenely low drop rate to begin with (which is unusual when it comes to Quest items)?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

The twins (who requested it) move away after the rainy days in November. So basically it's not dropping because you can't complete it anymore.

I'm also pretty sure the quests from the twins are the only ones with time limits, too.

There's actually a pretty decent, if incomplete, quest guide for Golden on Gamefaqs, if you want something for future reference.

Bleh. Figured it might be something like that.

Oh well, on to the November dungeon, then.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mouser.. posted:

Two questions since I'm almost done with P4:

1. Would watching the anime after playing the game feel like watching the movie after reading the book?

2. Is Persona 3 different enough story wise that I wouldn't feel like I'm rehashing the same plot over again ?

1. Somewhat, but it's still pretty enjoyable to watch, especially given that they give the main character a distinct personality of his own.

2. Yes, though the Social Links aren't as well-written as they are in Persona 4.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yosuke dual-wielding food will never stop being funny.

Dual-wielding corn in festival clothes? Even funnier :allears:

Personally, I'm rather fond of the Sharp Shovel that Yu's been using since I picked it up back in... whichever month it was. Free Auto-Tarukaja that doesn't take up a skill slot, and it looks good with a variety of outfits.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Since I realized I wasn't going to complete all the S. Links or read all the books this first go around, I decided to spend some free time doing something else.

Is it sad that I kinda wish that there were real-life versions of these things? Because I'd totally be willing to give Atlus and/or Bandai (more of) my money if these were actual model kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It's funny, people call Make History the main battle theme, but I feel like I heard Reach Out to the Truth during 80 or 90 percent of my fights. :v:

Is it me, or is it way easier to get a Player Advantage in this version? I almost never got them on the PS2.

It does seem easier to me, too. I remember only getting Player Advantages regularly in the PS2 version if I was going back through an older dungeon to farm for quest objectives.

• Locked thread