Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Just started playing the game a couple of days ago. Prefacing my record, the only exposure to any other JRPG game I've had is Pokemon, if you want to call it that. Didn't play the original, haven't even played a game of Final Fantasy. I bought this game basically on a whim after hearing nothing but praise for it and that it's a must buy on the Vita.

I was warned ahead of time that it starts off slowly, so with that in mind I wasn't too annoyed by the lack of gameplay early on. First impression was that it's fun, but not fantastic. I'm sure that had I been more engrossed in the game genre ahead of time I'd have better appreciation for it. No regrets, but probably wouldn't experiment with it again.

And then the Galactic Punt happened, and now I see the light. I'm starting to see why this game is so captivating.

As for Chie's voice, I think it's more an issue of fanbase unfamiliarity with it than an actual problem with the acting. Without a prior reference to how she sounded before, I've got no problem hearing her, and it sounds pretty natural within the flow of the storyline. Went back to hearing how she sounded in the original game, and the actress just sounds tired and old in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

The Leper Colon V posted:

Just wait until you meet Kanji. :allears:

Kanji is goddamn fantastic. That's one especially strong thing about this game, there are absolutely zero characters that I have any sort of dislike for. The writing staff did a bang-up job in trying to get you to want to work with these people, even when they act stupid at times. Even the "little kid" character is well done. Nanako is basically anime Clementine.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Color Printer posted:

After their respective boss fights, it pretty much spells out that the whole point was simply "I just want to be accepted". I thought that was pretty obvious but apparently it didn't hammer that in enough for some people.

The one Shadow that I haven't understood thus far is Chie's. I've been working primarily on party social links and for the most part I understand the party's separate ulterior motives, but with Chie, it just seems like her dark secret was almost thrown in haphazardly. It's as if they just needed some negative character trait to add on to create a boss, since her personality and actions seems basically identical both before and after the boss fight. With everyone else you can get some sense of internal growth based on facing their shadow, but Chie's internal struggle seems a whole separate issue entirely. I'd wait before casting judgment if she had been one of the background members, but I've developed her link the most, and I'm still not getting much of a sense of self-realization at her faults. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way? If it takes further spoilers past rank 7 on the link to answer my question, then I'll refrain from being too harsh on it at the moment.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

Chie is jealous of Yukiko and enjoys how Yukiko depends on her. Basically, she feels that controlling Yukiko maker her better than her. I don't think it actually comes back as an issue later, but you boost her self-confidence in her s.link.

I understood the crux of what it meant, but it just seemed so far out of character to how she was introduced that it's just not believable, and she doesn't seem to change the way she interacts with Yukiko much at all from how she was like before. I dunno, it just bugged me how we get a character whose shown to be pretty independent and indifferent of other people's opinions, then get told that she's actually somewhat spiteful and manipulative at heart, and THEN we proceed as normal with zero apparent personality change with us all operating under the pretense that she's different now. It's not really a growth of self-understanding like you can see with Kanji and Yukiko, it's just creating a character flaw for the sake of not Mary Sue-ing her. That could be an overexaggeration on my part though.

Captain Mog posted:

Chie's consists of her insecurity about her best friend Yukiko, who she feels outshines her in many ways (prettier, smarter, ect). She really wants to mean something and be a hero. I think she just wants to be her own person and escape from Yuki's shadow. Although to be honest, I always got the impression that she was already a fairly confident person in the first place, which might be why her internal conflict seems "lesser" than all of the others'. Pretty realistic, since some people just are that way.

The last part seems to match up with my opinion of her too, yeah. It's as if they created a minor buggaboo in the character that you could argue wasn't even apparent beforehand, and overexaggerated the hell out of it so that they could create a boss fight.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Question about Social Links. When you max one out, can you just leave them alone for basically the rest of the game and go focus on everyone else? I maxed out Chie's, and it feels weird to me to just flatout ignore her for the rest of the game now that she's at the highest level. At the same time, if there's nothing left to be gained from choosing to hang out with her, I want to maximize my options as much as I can.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

A while back I was playing the homestretch of the game. I thought that I should beat the main boss early in December so that I'd have the rest of the month to do Social Links and stuff, especially "that" link in particular that needs to be completed before the year's end to get the full experience. I was at level 9, and was planning on completing it right after I beat the boss.

WELP.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

KoB posted:

Kanji is the best character so be sure to bro out with him as much as possible.

But yeah, opinions naturally vary on all of the characters but Kanji is pretty unanimously adored.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Nessa posted:

Kanji was a mainstay for my team as soon as I got him in P4G. Get out of here, Yosuke.

I was never able to really find a good place for him. The protag covered my electricity needs, and Chie did just as good of a job with physical attacks. Hell, I only really used the original four throughout the game, occasionally swapping in Naoto for Yosuke.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

A Bystander posted:

Use Kanji and Chie in the same team because magic is for losers.

Hmm, I'll think about it when I replay the game. They are my two favorites, but I didn't want it to be too imbalanced.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Japan has bad taste in characters. It's why the 'main' datable character of basically every dating sim ever is boring.

This explains a lot about Yukiko.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I maintain that the trigger in Moon at least makes sense in context. The Lovers trigger never makes sense. It is simply "anime that's why" :colbert:

The Lovers trigger is basically choosing between dating or being an unsympathetic douche. There's no middle ground there.

Luckily I had no qualms about choosing the douche option.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

arisu posted:

Galactic Punt is the best because it will never not be funny.

"Did she just punt a tank?"

"Kickthetankkickthetankkickthetank...OOOOOOOOOOOOH!"

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

UberJumper posted:

gently caress i can't take this anymore after i read about all the awesome more stuff Persona 4 Golden has, i just.. have to buy a PSVita for that game. I just have to do it, Persona 4 is so good.

:allears:

*EDIT* Also Chie is so awesome :allears:

You are playing the game the right way. Well done.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

If you can persevere through the first month of Chie's voice acting, it becomes perfectly fine. But that first month is like Fitzgerald is experimenting to find her vocal stance or something, because it's REALLY bad. Her deliveries of the "My Trial of the Dragon! :( " line and you and Yosuke's return after beating his Shadow are grating. But her S-Link is still really good, and midgame there's no issues either.

The weirdest part about how those two scenes suffered is that when she does the same lines in the anime, they're perfectly fine and good. But something went off when she did it in the game.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

The only problem I have with Rise is that she bore a hole in my skull with the word senpai. Going through ng+ with the music club Sun s-link did not help matters.

That S Link caught me off guard. For the longest time I thought that it'd be just helping a younger student with their self confidence, with no romantic ideals attached. Which is good, because she looks like she's the same age as Nanako. But then, NOPE, you can date her too. Which I would find really, really uncomfortable, had I chosen the romantic route

Dunno if that needed to be spoilered, but better safe than sorry.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Marie is pretty bland. I still think she's much much MUCH better than Yukiko and her shoehorned "endearing character trait". But yeah, Marie isn't great.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

I didn't play Persona 4, but Adachi was pretty offputting in the Giant Bomb playthrough. Didn't really want to hang out with that in the new game.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

I can't really forgive Yosuke for his actions in the end game. MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT TOUCH IF NOT COMPLETE WITH THE GAMEI get that he's wound up and all, but wanting to kill some guy that they don't know much of anything about over some girl that he himself admits he didn't even care that much is just too brash for me to regard it as simply "oh, boys will be boys."

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Think about what had transpired immediately before, though.

His best friend's cousin appeared have just died as a result of Namatame's actions, and there realistically was nowhere near enough substantial proof to secure a conviction for the murders (there's basically 0 doubt he'd get nailed on kidnapping, though). As far as they knew, Namatame was going to walk for the killings.

It's not up to Yosuke to resort to vigilantism in the name of his friend if his friend is perfectly capable of handling the situation himself. Only two people in that room actually considered murder. For Kanji, it's more forgivable for him to feel that way, because he's Kanji and naturally in "I'm gonna beat someone up" mode at all times. Yosuke, though, he spent the greater part of that scene basically searching for validation for his actions, whining about how it wasn't fair, and trying to convert the girls into not judging him for committing murder because "it would be an easy solution".

e. vvvvv I forgot, Naoto the Cop was suggesting it as well, too.

Prozach fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 17, 2014

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

They're sixteen year old kids from the boonies. They aren't equipped to handle that situation emotionally. Of course they're gonna react in weird or wrong ways. They're dumbass kids who are of the mind that a blood of a little girl is partially on their hands, since they failed to save her when she was right in front of her. And honestly, trying to be validated and whining are both pretty human reactions - people are hardwired to try and convince themselves and others that they're blameless.

That still didn't stop ditzy Chie from rationalizing that "Hey, y'know, murder is pretty hosed up no matter the situation, so why don't you hold off on that?" If she can determine that while suffering from the same state of mind, then it can't really be considered a teen thing to just resort to violence. It was an inherent desire in Yosuke's character himself, which I thought was pretty gruesome.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

Not to mention it's kind of weird to say to say that's "okay for Kanji because it's more forgivable for him to feel that way, because he's Kanji and naturally in "I'm gonna beat someone up"". I mean, Yosuke is behold not to be a murdering rear end and Kanji isn't? Same for Naoto, for supposed to be the most cool headed member of the team.

By that, I meant that it's much more likely, and arguably expected, for him to want to fight violence with violence. If Kanji goes out and says they need to teach this guy a lesson, you can chalk it up to Kanji getting into the heat of the moment again. It's still a character flaw, but not one that shatters one's perception of the character and immediately makes him a villain. On the other hand, Yosuke suddenly getting into a murder-y kinda feeling is a really dark turn in his character, especially considering he's the one who spearheaded that side of the argument.

I'll agree with you that Naoto joining in is also pretty screwed up

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

Where does that breaks Yosuke's character, though? He was from the get go the most determined to get the culprit, whatever the cost, and has a track record for acting under the spur of the moment as well, even when a few seconds of thinking would tell him it's a bad idea.

It became more of a "spur of the moment" sort of stance when he started refusing to actually listen to the people trying to talk him down. The length of the scene and how determined he is throughout is what gets to me. Had the scene happened like this:

*Yosuke mentions how they could murder Namatame
*Someone mentions how that is evil
*Yosuke takes the time to listen, doesn't choose to be evil

then it wouldn't bug me nearly as much that he'd bring it up. But he campaigns for it, and it takes him getting shouted down to actually start to reconsider.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

... okay, sorry for sounding aggressive, but how do you manage ignore the actual context of the scene there? Yosuke doesn't really listen because he's a scared kid that just saw a little kid he loved died, and knows it's partially his fault. The scene last for all of five minutes at best, during which everyone is hurt, scared, and stressed about being caught in the room of a suspect. Of course no one, especially a bunch of teenagers, is going to look at things rationally.

It is more than just refusing to listen though. OK, under stress, maybe hard-headedness in your ideals can make communication difficult, and I can understand that. Going beyond that, and definitively stating that "this is the only way, and you better have a good argument against it or I'm throwing him in" indicated to me a darker part of his psyche that wasn't just a symptom of stress.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Again, UBERJUMPER DO NOT READ ANY OF THIS

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Wait, someone accidentally went out with Yukiko? How? The only one that is easier to avoid (if you wanted) is Chie, because one of the two options is LITERALLY "Will you be my girlfriend?"

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

UberJumper posted:

I burst out laughing as Shepard-kun just casually asks; futon, couch, or floor? :allears:

She gave me a shrine charm, and was really sad about the whole thing. I honestly felt kind of bad when she told me she loved me, but knew it wasn't going to last. :cry: So the awkward noises that are heard afterwords, and the fade to black are the main character getting it on? If so poor Nanako.

You better limit your actual interest in the female characters to one only, otherwise you're gonna feel like such a piece of poo poo later on.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

UberJumper posted:

Is it just them making me feel like poo poo? Or do i loose party members because of it?

No specifics, but I can at least say that you won't actually lose anyone in your party.

e. And it's fine if you want to start a relationship with someone else. Just remember that eventually there will be some sort of emotional consequence.

Prozach fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 19, 2014

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

UberJumper posted:

Which i fully accepted since she was who i wanted originally. I don't mind breaking Yukiko's heart. I also think at some point i entered into a relationship with Rise, due to how she has been acting lately, but i don't recall it.

For your sake, you should internally consider Chie to be the only "real" girlfriend. It will make the pain hurt much, much less.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

The bikinis for the girls are hilariously some of the most expensive costumes to buy. They're really punishing creep Yu.

So I had to kill some extra golden hands to finance those purchases.

They don't even reveal much if you did want that. Unless they're the pageant outfits. Nevermind, that was just the show. I dunno, I actually never bothered with costumes in my first playthrough. I just got the kung fu Chie outfit from Fox and thought "Eh, good enough".

Although Bruce Lee/Tomoe Chie would be pretty cool.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

UberJumper posted:

Chie is so adorable, she begged to see my room. The entire scene is adorable, awkward and seeping with subtle hints that makes me unsure of what actually happened. Chie is awesome :allears:

Sadly this is going to make Valentines day all the more harder. :smith:

Again, as long as you choose the right girl for that day it will hurt...slightly less.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

UberJumper posted:

But Kanji didn't get a nosebleed when Rise is in the bathing suit. Was Kanji getting the nosebleed from looking at the main characther is his junes stylish shorts?

Kanji just has good taste like the rest of us in not tolerating the "senpaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ^_^" stuff.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Well now that you've reached that point UberJumper you can participate in the conversation we were having that was full of spoilers a couple pages ago.

So, whose side are you on?

Team "Yosuke is just a confused kid dealing with hyperactive amounts of stress" or Team "No amount of emotional turmoil serves as an excuse for murder not done in self-defense"?

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

TheHock posted:

So is the most annoying thing about it Chie's new voice actor? (Or is it still Rise?)

You will hate her voice for the first month, and basically every time she has to yell. Apart from that, no issues.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

I don't like Yosuke, but even I don't think he should be admonished for his wage practices. Attempted murder, yeah, but that? Nah.

As for Christmas, you get stuff if you choose Naoto, but there's a different correct answer here that everyone else has already mentioned.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Ok this is gonna sound REEEEEALLY dumb but...where do you find the fishing hook? I never fished once in my first playthrough.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Robot Hobo posted:

I got a Vita recently, and everyone kept saying Persona 4 Golden was the game to get. Despite the fact that I don't really play JRPGs anymore, and that I don't really care much for anime, I still grabbed it because recommendations were everywhere and I got curious.

So far, I'm loving it.

This is exactly the same initial experience I had too. I bought the game mostly* due to Pat from Two Best Friends constantly going on about how awesome a Vita is on their podcast, and how P4G was his favorite game of 2012. The only JRPG I've played seriously is Pokemon, and the only animes I've watched are DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon, all when I was a kid. Still loved the game regardless, and I've had no regrets about the purchase whatsoever.

*the other reason being I thought Chie was a badass in VGCW, but I had no idea what game she was from so I wanted to find out.

Prozach fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

lol remember the one guy who was flabbergasted that he'd agreed to date Yukiko?

UberJumper posted:

Also apparently i entered into an intimate relationship with Yukiko. :smith:

This loving guy.

• Locked thread