Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The pixel art and music is usually reason enough for me to buy wayforward games, but pretty much every review called it the best Shantae game so far, so I'm pretty excited for the 3DS version.

Anyone bothered with Moon Chronicles on 3DS? I wouldn't even consider downloading it in 4 separate "episodes" (seriously go gently caress yourselves any developer that does this), but whenever it does get a PAL release they said they'd put it all back together in one package like an actual proper game that doesn't take up 4 times the space for no good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think they're merging it together as one game, I think they're just submitting it all to certification at the same time so they can release it all at once.
America's getting episodes 2, 3, and 4 simultaneously yes, but they have confirmed the full game will be contained in one download for PAL regions. link
So I guess no one here's tried out Moon Chronicles?

Back in my GBA days I chose the Pacman Collection over "Castlevania"

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Woooo, Shantae & the Pirate's Curse is awesome, having tons of fun so far

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I messed around with Ironfall today on 3DS..
Very impressive engine, nicely detailed environments with a lot of effects and a rock solid framerate, it's especially impressive considering it was made by 3 people. Unfortunately there's not much to love beyond the tech, the cutscenes and voice acting are pretty rough, I don't even know if there was music but if there is it's super forgettable.
None of that really bothers me, but it did disable my c-stick system wide until I rebooted my 3DS.. I'll probably purchase when this is patched because hopefully the developers can add some dedicated artists and designers to the team after this game, and make something as creative as it is technically impressive

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Amiibo tap sure is a thing

On the other hand, Sin & Punshment 2 is just as rad as I always heard, having tons of fun with it

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

In case anyone missed it, here's an eshop game coming out this year- Fast Racing NEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlPpnBMdf8
gameplay starts at around 5:30, the game runs at 60FPS 720p
Shin'en make some amazing Nintendo exclusives and this looks like it might be their best yet

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Yay Outrun! I've always wanted a portable version of this game and M2 went and made it also the best version of this game.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just played through the Runbow event preview demo, very fun game. My only two complaints is that double tapping the attack button to do a horizontal dash is terrible, unintended dashes leads to suicides and it's basically impossible to use effectively in the air.
And a major pet peeve; touching the sides of spikes kills you

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone try Chronicles of Teddy? It looks like a solid combination of Zelda 2 and Metroid but I'm waiting for pay day I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HE035qNfB4

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

There's always the chance they put the map on the gamepad screen

edit-
Apparently the map is presented on the gamepad screen while you play :)

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 9, 2016

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Having the touchscreen on a separate controller would make Hunters a lot more comfortable to play for a lot of people so it's a shame it won't have multiplayer.
One thing you'll find annoying is that the gamepad screen has two deadzones on both sides of the DS touchscreen- so if you aim too far to either side you have to re-press the stylus within the emulated DS screen

BUT, thanks to some recent WiiU homebrew developments I was able to play the game rendered at double the DS's normal resolution and with the bottom screen stretched to properly fill the gamepad screen.
I played a fair bit of the multiplayer back in the day but I only played the single player once, so it was pretty fun to come back to- especially with the increase in resolution

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just announced by NOE: two "Nintendo eShop Selects", ie retail releases of indie eShop games, out September 30:

-FAST Racing Neo (includes "Futre Pack" DLC on the disc)
-Steamworld Collection (Steamworld Dig + Steamworld Heist + Heist DLC on disc)

The Aussie press release has them for $50AUD, so they'll probably end up being about 25EUR/20GBP in Europe.

EDIT: Rising Star's releasing Steamworld Collection in NA, I guess NOA's not doing eShop Selects?

EDIT EDIT: FAST "Future Pack" DLC: 8 new tracks, 10 new vehicle profiles, 18 new tunes

:holy:

FAST Racing NEO is easily one of my favourite WiiU games, and I will be buying it on disc just to sit on my shelf. I'm really looking forward to the DLC, if the rumoured F-Zero crossover happens I will lose my poo poo.
Some screenshots of the upcoming DLC:

:kingsley:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

DroneRiff posted:

Does Fast Racing Neo have split screen online like Mario Kart does?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It does indeed, full four-player splitscreen.
Splitscreen is offline only though, racing online is a full screen affair.
The framerate drops to 30fps in four player mode, but 2 player still maintains 60fps

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

In Training posted:

It would be nice for them to make a Metroid Zero Mission 2 remake of 2, a new 2D Metroid game and for me to win the lottery.
The Zero Mission style fan-remake of Metroid 2 will be released in less than a week on Metroid's 30th anniversary
(this has been in development for almost ten years)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Been trying out Poncho today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-uBKKFXikU
Unfortunately with all these parallax layers you get a poo poo ton of shimmering pixels as you move around, and the translucency effect when you're behind layers appears to be glitched or something.

I'm digging the atmosphere and simple gameplay, but the choppy framerate and glitchy appearance are making it hard to enjoy

edit-
left the game sitting for a while and it hardlocked

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 19, 2016

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone tried out Jotun? The PC version got great reviews, so hopefully it was a smooth transition to the WiiU

I finished Axiom Verge the other night, a few people weren't so hot on the game but I thoroughly enjoyed it- especially the music. Big thumbs up from me

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

for those looking to get the new NEO Future DLC for FAST Racing Neo- make sure you update the game first and then access the DLC through the new in game shop menu
if you download it through the eshop you'll have to go into data management and delete the DLC, then launch the game and use the shop menu to unlock it properly.

I'm not sure what the issue is here, maybe if you update the game first you're okay to grab the DLC via the eshop afterwards? or maybe it has something to do with their multiplayer servers being down for maintenance right now?

p.s. the new tracks are super cool and the music is awesome best eshop game

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 30, 2016

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

anatomi posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but are there any Wii U games that have substantial Amiibo-locked content? Looking into buying a used console, want to know if I should be hunting for those stupid figurines as well.
It's not out yet but I think the most substantial amiibo unlocked content is the Wolf Link companion in Breath of the Wild.
If you complete the bonus dungeon added to TPHD you can save the amount of hearts you had remaining to the Wolf Link amiibo, scan it into BotW and Wolf Link will accompany you with the same amount of hearts. (you can still do this with a blank Wolf Link amiibo but he'll only have 3 hearts)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

cumshitter posted:

I'm playing Severed on the 3DS and haven't played it elsewhere and my experience with it has not been diminished. It's fun and straightforward and simple.
Severed was a really cool game, quite linear but the combat system is a lot of fun. Getting it for free on 3DS was neat as well, made me play through it again.

Have you found this area:

It was an optional area unlike the rest of the game and as far as I could tell there was nothing to do there

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 8, 2017

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm enjoying the Tank Troopers game so far, the controls are gonna take some time to get used to though.
Unfortunately that Dragon Ball Fusions game got censored, Trunks (and anyone using a sword) instead wields a really :effort: looking stick

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm not much of a dbz fan, and I'm not usually concerned with content being censored in certain regions.

but this brown rod bothers me, they could have at least given it a leaf or something

p.s.
I've been playing more of Tank Troopers, I think it's a really solid game- if it had online multiplayer I would say it's a must buy

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Rirse posted:

WiiU VC never did get Sega Genesis games did it?
You can get some of the best genesis games on 3DS and in stereoscopic 3D

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

they could easily map half press to one trigger and a full press to the other trigger

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

the gamecube has 3 shoulder buttons, the switch has four

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

jivjov posted:

GameCube triggers were full analog. Two pressed states isn't enough

DoctorWhat posted:

An L press is an analog value between 0 and 255, you can't say it's only a half.
Yep, but in Sunshine the trigger was only used for either a full press that kept Mario stationary, and a half press (or anywhere inbetween) to allow him to continue moving.
Obviously for a racing game it wouldn't work, but in Sunshine they were already using it like two separate buttons

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Keeping my WiiU until there's another system I can play Metroid Prime Trilogy on

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Strongly disagree, notched analogue sticks are vastly superior.

heads up for anyone interested in Urban Trial Freestyle 2 on 3DS, you can get a 20% pre launch discount on mynintendo- not sure if that offer will still be available after it releases the end of this month.
The first game was multiplatform but had the most success on 3DS, so the sequel is a 3DS exclusive. And this time around you can share custom courses

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

FAST rmx is getting a free update in September, adding 6 new tracks and finally getting released in Japan

Still one of my favourite Switch games, hopefully all the new Japanese players will provide some real competition :smug:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

FAST rmx update is pretty cool, they added multiple sensitivities instead of just on/off for HD rumble, and now you can see people you played with recently like every other game and send friend requests.
The 6 tracks added are really good, they're all remixes where they take two stages and mix them together so I guess they're not brand new courses but they really feel like it.

Not to mention the Japanese release should add some more online players

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thimbleweed Park is pretty cool so far, it's been a while since I played a point and click adventure game and this feels like a great game to return to the genre with.
That said I have noticed a few minor technical issues and the button controls are pretty clunky. You would assume the touch screen controls are the best way to play but I found them quite frustrating, even just choosing a dialog option can be a crapshoot... This would have been great to play with the same faux wii pointer controls used in the Switch version of World of Goo.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The touch controls are responsive and seem to work alright, it's more that a lot of the interactive objects are so small and sometimes really close together it's hard to touch the thing you intended.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Mummy Demastered gets a thumbsup from me
I finished it in 5 hours with 89% of the items collected, so it's not a super long game, but it was a fun 5 hours full of cool music and high quality pixel art.

If you do play this game, be warned it doesn't seem very well optimized- after playing for a while (over an hour or so) you'll start to see some major framerate issues. Just close the game, restart and it will go back to running smoothly

When you die your body comes back as a zombie, and you respawn as another soldier with no upgrades and the default gun- so you have to hunt down your zombie to get all the upgrades back.
I got stuck in a pretty tough death loop, I died in a room with a very fast respawning enemy, and before I even get to the room he was in I had to get past a bunch of enemies that took half my health in one hit.
I ended up dying in that room trying to get my stuff back 5 times, so I had 5 zombies to deal with..
I can imagine dying in worse rooms too, you can probably screw yourself over almost to the point of a softlock so watch out for that too

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I 100%'d Snake Pass, it's a very fun game with cool music, unique gameplay and some surprisingly tough challenges.
The controls take a while to get used to because I don't think there's another game that controls like this, but they really work well once you get a grip on them.

They added a timetrial mode in the last update, as a speedgame there is a ton of variables and I can see a lot of replay value if that's your kinda thing too

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Well, Miiverse is gonna die in about an hour and I guess I'd like to say some final words.
As someone who avoids social media like twitter and facebook I enjoyed having a platform to talk about games without having to worry about real world issues creeping their way in. Plus I always enjoyed being one of the first people to upload screenshots and share thoughts when a new game was added to miiverse.
Miiverse was definitely not perfect, but I will miss it and hope for a similar & improved service on Switch one day.

final score:
94 followers
407 posts
2208 yeahs

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I was a little interested in Gear Club Unlimited, but the price is pretty high and 30fps is a deal breaker when it comes to racing games for me.
So I picked up Mantis Burn Racing instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh1oeB5m7JA
I have to say it's quite a fun little game, my only gripe so far is the framerate occasionally drops from 60 on a few tracks- and it's quite noticeable because the game runs like butter the rest of the time.. it actually gives me that weird guitar hero vision if I play for a while.
It even supports cross platform online multiplayer, pretty cool but I haven't seen anyone else playing yet

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I played Revelations on the WiiU and had a good time, it was originally a 3DS game so I imagine it's very easy to port- probably why they've already ported it to everything.
Gonintendo has video reviews for both Revelations 1&2 and it appears capcom did a good job porting them, here's the first review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7sWFGmYJyk

I never played the second game because I had always heard it wasn't as good as the first

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm only a few hours in but I'm enjoying Fe a lot so far, the art and sounds are really beautiful even if the frame rate can get a bit choppy at times

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm a few hours into Mulaka, and it seems okay.
It's a little bit janky and most of the game could benefit from some extra refinement, but it's still quite charming and interesting enough that I don't regret buying.

edit-
I got out of bounds and found an easter egg:

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 3, 2018

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

iajanus posted:

Not if you want to play with the joycons separate from the screen, like in the grip.
I'm not sure about the demo, but you can use the joycons without motion controls- it will just automatically switch to motion controls if you hold them upright or move them around too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I downloaded Slain since it was 50% off...
It seems like an okay game and the pixel art is pretty nice, but the framerate is absolutely ruining the game for me.
I think all the particle effects run at 60FPS so it looks nice when you stand still, but it seems all the actual gameplay runs at 30 fps- so things like the screen scrolling and general movement feel really choppy. With the 60FPS effects running on top of a 30FPS game gives it a really inconsistent feel and I would probably steer anyone considering it away- even on sale.