Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
With the WiiU and its download service getting underway, has Nintendo announced any plans to pull the plug on the regular Wii Shop? There's a few VC games I've been meaning to download but haven't bothered to yet, and I'm not getting a WiiU anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rirse posted:

the sudden disappearance of Donkey Kong Country 1 - 3 on the Wii Shop.

Woah, they're removing titles from the Wii Shop? Or was this just an isolated instance?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there a timetable for when the Wii Shop Channel is going to be taken down? I heard that the News and Weather Channels were being taken down soon, so I want to know if and when I should start hoarding VC/WiiWare games :ohdear:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm out of the loop but is the 3DS ever going to get GBA emulation? I still have the cart and a working GBASP but I'd love to play Aria of Sorrow again, it's probably my favorite Castlevania title.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

poo poo, it's a weird thing to sperg about but I've been wanting the SNES version of Mega Man X3 for a while now. The X Collection on the Gamecube used the Saturn version, which I wasn't a fan of because the sound was really bad. I'm slowly building up a case for me to buy this drat system :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How's Gunman Clive? I thought I heard some positive buzz about that game, and I'm putzing around on the eShop and I see it's only $2,and I have $5 that can go either towards that or Wario Land 2 (a favorite from my childhood)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

DoctorWhat posted:

Wario Land 2 is better, and Gunman Clive, while spectacular, is really short and is getting a much better sequel soon.

Forgot about sales tax so I'm 28 cents short :argh: Maybe some other time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've been eyeing MH3U for a long time and just noticed it's on sale for a couple more days. Is there enough of a single-player experience there (no idea when I'll get a WiiU, if ever) to be worth $20? Does it play well on a handheld?

Also gently caress, don't make me turn around and buy OoT and Link's Awakening right after that...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Right after posting that I remembered that I downloaded the demo a while ago and never played it. I proceeded to get my rear end kicked by that large snow bunny/bear twice :negative: (Great Sword once, Sword&Shield once) I know these games are tough to get into, but is that par for the course?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lagombi's a more advanced monster, yeah. MH is all about learning the ins and outs of your weapons and monster tells.

Bear in mind that the demo pretty much dumps you into a point where you'd normally be a few days into the game. It's all about the progression.

Yeah, I tried the Long Sword earlier tonight and it just clicked a lot better than those other two weapons, and I managed to bring him down. For $20 I think I'll just go for it, I hardly have any 3DS games and if nothing else it could be a gateway drug to the next big game :v:

E: Wait, is that Zelda sale happening in NA too, or just Europe?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 3, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^Zelda sale has only been announced for PAL-land.

Aw dammit, I'm glad I pulled the trigger on MH3U then.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sweet, I was just thinking to myself how wrong it was that I own only three 3DS games and then this comes along. I had even just started looking for a used copy of Awakening, but I can wait a week for a cheaper digital copy. Maybe I'll be able to get OoT3DS on sale like I wanted to! And people are down with Mario 3D Land?

Kurtofan posted:

I think it's fair to say twitter has made the world a worse place

This guy gets it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 5, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
drat, no OoT3DS :( At least I no longer have an excuse not to buy Awakening.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How do the Oracle games hold up? I played them when they first came out 13 years ago and remember having fun with them (holy poo poo that was that long ago?) buy I'm going to have a lot of new stuff to play when this sale is over, to say nothing of the game it's actually leading up to. Are they worth revisiting on the cheap?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 11, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What are the control "issues"? Didn't it come with a stand or something for a while?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also if you change the language setting to "Unenglish" then you get his first, unedited pass on the game's dialogue, which gives it some weird extra charm. I have the game on PC and while I haven't finished it, I was having fun with it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is Star Fox worth it at $30? I played the everloving poo poo out of that game on the N64, which is a point both for and against spending $30 to do it again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MinibarMatchman posted:

CotM's card drop rate is definitely the worst thing about it, though it is exciting when you finally get something. HoD does magic/item poo poo a little better by giving you 5 or 6 magic books that modify your subweapon, but at least the Magic Books aren't drops and you actually find them in set spots.

The thing that Circle doesn't tell you about the cards is that each card is only dropped by one type of enemy. Sometimes they're assigned to a really common, easy-to-kill enemy (Bloody Swords drop the Mars card and will hunt you to the ends of the Earth), other times it's an enemy that appears in one specific area and doesn't actually connect to the card (Earth Demons drop the very important ice-element Serpent card :psyduck:). Generally, as you progress through the game the cards you earn will fill out from left to right, so that should inform you of when you missed a card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It might not be the best but it's pretty drat good, and this might be the first time I've seen it discussed on the Internet at all. I also never made the connection between this game and Mario's acrobatics in Mario 64.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

absolutely anything posted:

The best Game Boy game is Wario Land 2 but DK94 is a very close second

Possibly down with this but Mega Man V is also very good, definitely my favorite classic series Mega Man.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ethanol posted:

nice, I was hoping this would happen

however the eshop appears to be having bandwidth trouble.... and spooky music

Yeah the spooky changes to the eShop right now are :3: Check it out if you have a sec.
And related to those, why isn't Luigi's Mansion on sale for Halloween :cmon:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kaubocks posted:

Aria of Sorrow is straight up one of the best Castlevania games period.

Aria is really Goddamn good and one of the few reasons I'm still holding on to my GBA SP (nevermind I haven't touched it in over a year). Imagine they re-made Symphony of the Night, but without the inefficiencies and hiccups that came from not completely knowing the formula.

zenintrude posted:

Sam's Club near me put it on sale... $19, but still better than nothing!

But my digital future...:negative:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is Azure Striker Gunvolt the game everyone was losing their minds over when it first came out? I have 28 hours of flying & layovers to go through next week so I'm stuffing my 3DS with things to take the edge off. And how's the 8-bit spinoff Mighty Gunvolt? $3.99 is right around "sure why not?" territory for me, but I could put that money towards Wario Land II or Shovel Knight which I've been meaning to grab for a while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

absolutely anything posted:

I haven't played Gunvolt but if you haven't played Wario Land 2 and Shovel Knight then come on son

I played Wario Land II years ago, and I've had Shovel Knight on my wishlist for a while. Truthfully I probably don't need to buy anything for this trip, I've hardly touched Fire Emblem and am one badge into Pokemon X. Also still in Low Rank in Monster Hunter 3U despite nearly 50 hours of playing :shepface:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I know it's been on sale for a week already, but I've played a couple levels of Azure Striker Gunvolt and it's pretty rad. I don't know how long it is but the amount of responsiveness and polish is definitely worth $10.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ProfZoom posted:

Tempted to take advantage of that Shovel Knight deal. Is it good? Is it best on the 3DS or better on another platform?

I beat it last night after coming to it fairly late, I haven't bought too many 2014 releases but I think it's my favorite game to come out this year.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's a strange "promotion" happening in Japan right now:

Make sure Spotpass is activated in your system settings, then go to the eShop and search for "51105102" - it'll let you download some sort of sales app that's giving 40% discounts on the following games:

Batch #1: on sale until January 28

Kid Icarus Uprising
Super Mario 3D Land
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Animal Crossing
A-Train 3D
Phoenix Wright 1-2-3 Collection (<- includes English text)
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2
Little Battlers Experience - Danball Senki Wars
Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder
Dillon's Rolling Western
Azure Striker Gunvolt

Batch #2: on sale from January 28-February 11

Zelda - A Link between Worlds
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion 2
Sengoku Musou Chronicle 2nd
Super Robot Wars UX
Story of Seasons
Fantasy Life LINK!
Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder
Dillon's Rolling Western
Azure Striker Gunvolt

There are four or five games on there I would definitely buy at 40% off, I really hope they do this in the U.S. but I also really hope they don't.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Beef Waifu posted:

Anybody here need a MONHUN code or am I just gonna hold these last two?

Would like for my friend who I want to get into the series please, for anyone else sitting on one (obvs you're out of codes). PM me! Thanks Chaos Argate and Beef Waifu for the responses!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 18, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Clive was fun but I would have felt cheated if I bought it for more than $2, it's really light on content. I would definitely give the sequel a try.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

Cool, thanks.

While we're on the subject also bear in mind that each card is dropped only by one specific type of enemy, and the type of enemy that drops a given card has more to do with progressing through the game and less with any congruence between enemy and card. For example the Serpent card (ice modifier) is dropped by Earth Demons, as it's an early card in the list and the Earth Demon is an early-game enemy. If you have a gap in your card collection, the missing card is probably dropped by an enemy in the previous area.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

Nice tip, Earth Demon was kicking my rear end so I skipped him.

Yeah it's kind of weird and it certainly doesn't help that the drop rates are pretty drat low even by Castlevania standards. Also I just thought of an exception- there's at least one card I can think of that is in the middle of the card line but is in an early area, it's just hidden past a barrier you can only pass with a later item.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Wait Xenoblade 3D is out? gently caress me I still have to finish the Wii version :negative: I've also had a sealed copy of Pandora's Tower sitting on my shelf for a year I never touched, come on man.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fremry posted:

I'm now sure if those thoughts are related, but Xenoblade 3D is the same as the Wii version, so if you're playing that one, you can skip the 3D version.

It's more of "I pre-ordered this game and blazed through 2/3 of it but have procrastinated so bad that it's already been re-released". Pandora's Tower is a similar sitch, what with coming out on WiiU VC. Come to think of it, I bought and never started The Last Story either :downs:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How good of a port is SF643D? I almost pulled the trigger on it last time it went on sale, I just need something to tear me away from MH4U for even a little while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

voltcatfish posted:

The only flaw I can think RE4 has is not all of the weapons are balanced. The Mine Thrower is fun to gently caress around with but kinda useless, and I've never been a fan of the TMP. Is it even worth buying the Riot Shotgun?

I think it handles faster, or at least it aims faster, but the wider spread of the Striker makes the faster aiming less useful. Besides, shotguns are more important for their knockback than their damage, at least among mook-level enemies.

Even so,

In Training posted:

it really, truly is one of the best games ever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's final upgrade is a 100 shell magazine, which will carry you through some of the harder difficulties because upgrading ammo capacity fills your magazine to the max.

That's the Striker actually :eng101: Which also takes up less inventory space.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What are the odds Bravely Default goes on sale prior to the release of Bravely Second? I've been wanting to pick it up for a few weeks now but have plenty of other ways to entertain myself so I could hold off on it if doing so would save me a few bucks.

Also drat, if we get an SNES style n3DS here in the States that might push me over the edge.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My memories of Shinobi III are that the music when you're on the horse is awesome, and the brain monster at the end of stage 3 scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. But I didn't know it got a remake! Thanks goons.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
$5 for RE Revelations seems really cheap, that's bordering on "gently caress it" pricing for a Nintendo game that got a retail release, something that almost never happens. Is it just because it's old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Saoshyant posted:

Capcom knows digital sales on old games work well. It's free money, basically, since no one was going to buy them at full price.

Revelations is an awesome game at an awesome price, and the graphics are still some of the best in the system. Grab it.

True, I'm just surprised at seeing a game on a Nintendo platform discounted at more than 33% off. I wish more games with recent or upcoming sequels would go on sale (looking at you Bravely Default).

Is RE Revelations OK without a CPP? Not too keen on buying one of those, I'm on an old XL if that helps.