Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Are they seriously charging €50 for Pokémon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
And the tutorial! But yes, a lot of it was English already. They didn't even bother transcribing or removing the Japanese subtitles for the English voice acting.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I have Star Fox 64 and Mega Man 9 and 10 on Wii VC, but that's it. I'm going to go test this and, if it's true, I'm going to buy TJ&E.

Thanks Goons.

Star Fox 64 does not support this, as it's an N64 title, and neither MM9 nor MM10 are Virtual Console, they're actual Wii games, so they don't support it either. Most emulated consoles should support it though. NES and SNES definitely do, at least.

Do note that it is a very limited functionality. It'll save your state when you exit and resume you there when you launch it again, but there's no way to manually load the state or even reload it once it's been loaded once. Think of it like leaving the actual console running on a pause screen and nothing else.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Fremry posted:

What great DS games may I have missed? I recently played Portrait of Ruin, and I was very neutral on that game. Loved the GBA ones, but there was just something about that one that I didn't enjoy like the others. I liked it enough to finish it, but it was very ho-hum for me.

The World Ends with You and Ghost Trick.

That said, the DS has tons of awesome games in general. But check those two out first if you haven't yet.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

NES Kid Icarus and Kid Icarus: Uprising are absolutely nothing alike.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Hoo-hoo! Just what I needed!

All the added GBA sound effects in SNES ports are pretty annoying, but not gamebreaking all things considered.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Do you happen to have a list? Because the site is not loading at all.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

He isn't making it up: http://earthbound.nintendo.com/playersguide/

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Mario Golf, easily.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

They probably don't, just like all the dummied out multiplayer stuff in the GB VC games. Which is dumb but par for the course at this point.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Compressed assets, most likely.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm convinced that someone hosed up and it's actually two different tracks being played at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsGaJ39dfs

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Only if instead of music the background noise is the jet engine whine of the Dreamcast reading a disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNh_phH91DI

Close enough?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The Duck of Death posted:

Paper Mario on the VC is also dark as poo poo for no apparent reason.

That is a trend I've noticed with all Virtual Console games. It's really odd, it just makes the games look weirdly washed out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Oddly enough if you boot up a 50Hz-only thing in Wii Mode it properly switches to 1080p50, so once more I have no idea why WiiU VC games behave that way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Does it have French/German translations that the 60Hz version lacks?

Yes. I assume this is generally the reason why they release the 50Hz versions, but really how hard could it be to add both the US and the PAL ROMs and allow the user to pick one? Hide it behind a settings menu or odd button combination if you don't want to confuse the masses or something.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Does Nicalis have zero programmers and all programming is done by randomly corrupting source files until a version comes out that's sorta-maybe-kinda correct? How the gently caress does this happen?!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

SereneCrimson posted:

I can't believe we're getting Mother 1 on VC. It just doesn't feel real. It's something people have wanted for so long and it's finally happening.

Everyone needs to buy that. Maybe, just maybe Mother 3 can happen.

Nah gently caress that, vanilla Mother 1 is super grindy. And we already have a good English Mother 3.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

They've localized Mother 1 back in the NES days, it's leaked under the name of "Earthbound Zero" a long time ago. It's probably just that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Also don't forget Canvas Curse and Mass Attack, which are both weird spinoff games but very good nontheless!

Squeak Squad is an alright game, it's just not very memorable or exceptional.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Not just Japan, but yes that's the basic idea. If you want to supply the same product to multiple countries with different levels of purchasing power, you have to somehow prevent consumers and retailers in places where the product is more expensive from importing it from where it's less expensive. Region locking is a simple but rather effective method of doing that.

Look up "Price Discrimination".

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Motto posted:

Why? Was a single game split for NA, or did they wait until AW2 was developed to bother releasing them in Japan?

The latter. They also didn't release Days of Ruin in Japan until it was offered as a downloadable DSi Club Nintendo reward, despite there being Japanese language data in the international DS releases.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I hope you do realize that there are better options available than that if you just want to play GB games.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Last I checked, Smash Bros Brawl was trivial to acquire. I mean maybe this changed since the WiiU one came out but before that you could find copies at single-digit prices on ebay.

e: Just checked again, at least in Europe it's trivial and cheap to acquire.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 9, 2015

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That's fantastic, I never imagined those to be rereleased anywhere.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Technically, yes, some did run at double resolution, but they are few and far between, and often just used for menus and Kanji rendering. Definitely not something that would affect the vast majority of games.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Handheld games have no concept of NTSC or PAL framerates.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That's a very good question! I don't know, but I assume they'd drop every sixth or so frame to keep the speed right?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

It's really weird, if you look at the suspend save screenshot in the menu, you can kind of see that the screenshot is a lot brighter and less washed out, so I have to assume they're applying a filter to the N64 emulation the same way they do to the NES VC games to make it more true to the CRT experience I guess? :shrug: I don't think they do it with SNES or GBA games, so I legit have no clue why they bothered for N64.

They do it for SNES games too but it's much slighter and looks a lot more accurate, it's weird. The only SNES game I have where I can clearly tell it on is Kirby Super Star. GBA and DS games have no filter, because I guess they were on a handeld? Except that a lot of GBA games are super bright to compensate for the poo poo screen of the original GBA so they could actually use that darkening. The Virtual Console makes no sense.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I know the Virtual Console is clearly an afterthought, but I still don't get why they can't just add a hidden advanced menu somewhere where you can swap between the EU and US releases, at least for 1st party titles.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It's more likely to be because the 50Hz version already has EFIGS translations.

Sure, I get that, but then you'll just have to pick the EU version if you want the additional localizations. I don't see why that should stop the option of picking the US version. Besides, in Mario Kart 64's case, that game was English-only in Europe too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The short answer is respective Nintendo Branch sales and licensing.

I guess? Is Nintendo special in how they handle their international branches? Some (most?) of the Sega ports you can get on PSN/XBLA/Steam allow you to switch between different versions, how come they can do that but Nintendo can't?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Unless they're really bad at implementing emulator save states, they should have exactly zero effect on the running game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nope!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Are they including the free DLC missions for Pokémon Ranger in the VC release?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Pokémon RBY is a glitchy mess so you can probably still reach it somehow. Probably even corrupt memory to get Surf on Pikachu.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Then corrupt it on R/B and trade with Yellow, no big deal. Yellow is still very buggy though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Is PAL SMW the 60Hz version?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That's like 700MB by the way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NES games on 3DS VC look blurrier than is necessary because they're ever-so-slightly stretched from 256x224 with no 1:1 pixel display option, for reasons known only to Nintendo.

At least they got SNES on 3DS right. Aside from Earthbound, which looks like it has an ever so slight and thus negligible darkening filter that I only notice because it renders without it for a frame when you load a savestate, the games I've tried (SMW, ALttP, Super Metroid, DKC2) seem to be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Hell yeah Kirby's Dream Course! Fantastic game, please check it out if you haven't played it before.

I wonder if they're going to include the free DLC missions in the Pokemon Ranger VC releases? Would be a shame if they didn't.