Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Nintendo have announced (well, there's a page for it in the store) the first "app" for 3DS in Japan, "Recochoku", a music download service. No idea if this means the tap has been opened and we can expect to see Facebook, Youtube, etc or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
March 25th and Nintendo still haven't released Nintendoji to the eStore. I don't think there are any other gold/platinum Club Nintendo Japan members about, but I just wanted to vent (the release date they gave back in December was "March 2013")

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Seriously? I'm receiving notes using new features which I can't even see properly. What's Shibata doing? He was all "let's make Nintendo Europe work" and now we can't even get basic software updates simultaneously?
The update hasn't been pushed to Japan yet so perhaps it's just that NoA jumped the gun?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-All three Guild02 titles (Spaceship Damrey, Bugs vs. Tanks, Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale) are being localised by Level-5 and will be out "this spring"; games feature some sort of connectivity bonus for players who own the Guild01 games.
Did they say that in the Direct or are you guessing? The Japanese versions require you to have the physical cart, which didn't come out overseas (also irritating for people in Japan who bought the games individually)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Shelf Adventure posted:

Prepaid eshop cards in Japan look to come with new AR cards. There's one for Peach (¥3000), Mario (¥2000) and a Goomba (¥1000).

They're for use with a new, free, AR photo-taking app. It was in a Chotto Nintendo Direct a month or two ago.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Doug Dinsdale posted:

It only cost me 4 bucks, but it still makes me angry for wasting around five ~ six hours on it to clear.
Did you actually clear the game (i.e. finish the last episode by getting all the monster cards) or just the last story episode? Because it strikes me that there's way too much random chance there.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Doug Dinsdale posted:

poor screen switching mechanics, lack of compelling reasons to play, etc.

These two are what got to me the most.
Sadly I bought it full price which was a horrible mistake - a month or so later there was the Level-5 sale so I got Crimson Shroud / Rental Bukiya de Omasse for the same 800 yen (Nintendo Japan really need to sort their sales out - other than the Level 5 sale / Densha Ningen 1+2 sale they've merely had a handful of games at 100 yen off for a week or so which is terrible compared to Nintendo US/EU)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Flipnote 3D is available on the JP 3DS eShop right now!
Hilariously the costume DLC for Ace Attorney 5 is larger(46 blocks) than Flipnote 3D(44 blocks)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

From the sounds of things the Hatena servers were hammered during the JP launch

Loading thumbnails is hilariously slow but the same is true of the eShop so I assumed it was just typical Nintendo on-line quality.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Astro7x posted:

I hope this works as soon as tomorrow, I pass 2 of the Nintendo Zone hot spots on the way to work, and got 3 street passes on the way to work today. Will be curious if I get any.

I went through 4 or 5 Nintendo Zone hot spots (lots of chain coffee shops / pubs!) a few hours ago and not one street pass! I hope that it's just that I was just the first person in my area to be out and about with updated firmware, and not that this is going to be some sort of weird complex cluster-gently caress of a thing to do (but with Nintendo, going by past performance who knows?)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Hakuoki is an "otome" game, ie a visual novel/dating sim with androgynous dudes instead of prepubescent girls. Aksys seems to be releasing a lot of these lately, or at least a non-zero amount which seems like a lot to me. Who the hell is buying them, exactly?
Not sure - but the DS was a hotbed of otome games with nothing aimed at men (2 or 3 tokimemo games for instance, all of them "Girl's side") while the PSP got the classic ren'ai game (ports) and the 3DS/Vita have been continuing that, so it's not really 100% unexpected.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Overbite posted:

Anyone try the DLC lessons? They any good?

I quite enjoyed the pet DLC if that helps - not that the cat that I did is recognisable as the reference cat, but it was pretty fun.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Realistically, I just wanna know what happened to Flipnote 3D.
They've only started turning back some of the services that they turned off to reduce server load in Japan over the past week or so - fairly sure the issue is that they're still not ready for the server load they are expecting when they open the service up world wide.
They've finally started charging for the service though (I know I got more than 30 days free!) so perhaps they're almost ready now?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Artix posted:

Really, Sega's just now getting around to putting Rhythm Thief up, and at full price? Goddammit Sega, I love it, but that game bombed for a reason.
WTF? When it went up on the eStore in Japan it was only 2600 vs the original boxed price of just over 6000 yen (then again, it looks like there's a new price for the physical edition of 2900 so yeah) - obviously the recent Sega UK/EU shake-up had them lose the sane employees.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

vkeios posted:

Anyways, e-shop releases are planned way in advance even if its just a retail 3ds game getting thrown up.
I don't think that is true, or at least isn't true for all territories - Bravely Default got thrown on the Japanese e-shop without any warning because the first shipment sold out whippet fast.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

-System update coming next month; will include NNID Wii U/3DS cross-compatibility (unified wallet), Miiverse, Youtube. About drat time!

Nintendo of Japan had a mini-update today and it looks like the Youtube update is completely separate from the system update (as in, they said Youtube would launch mid-November which to me pretty much means "any day now" but next month for the system update)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Assuming they stick to what they said in the Direct, chances are we are getting the Youtube app on Thursday too
Japan didn't get it today, so I'm fairly sure they've missed their release date (perhaps that's why they ran a mini Nintendo Direct with no warning and pushed out the Louvre app?)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The 3DS Youtube appilable is now available in all regions, have at it.

STILL not out in Japan. Currently at "December" - did Nintendo of Japan reject the app for being crap?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

No idea. Come to think of it, did they ever actually announce it for Japan?

They did - I think that the Japanese announcement was the only one they specifically announced "BEFORE the end of November" rather than just "before the system update"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

(They remade FFL2/SaGa 2 for DS a few years back, in case you didn't know. JP-only, but there's a full English translation patch, so you can play the game on real hardware using a flashcart.)

My wife picked this up on her last trip back home and while she played it for a fair while she was constantly complaining that it was such an accurate remake as to be horribly dated systems-wise, so it's maybe worth keeping that in mind.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
There's been a constant stream of idiots who feel the need to defend Nintendo all the time, no matter how dumb a decision they make.
People have only been excited for Miiverse under the theory that it would be an update that also introduced a proper account system, or the beginnings of one, rather than the lovely friend code system we've been lumbered with.
Unfortunately, due to the fact that Japanese parents don't seem to give enough of a gently caress if their daughters are selling their bodies for money or not, most of the useful features we were hoping for have been pulled from the 3DS Miiverse, but at least there's now a clear path for people to be able to regain their games if a 3DS is lost/stolen now.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah, It's those little japanese 12 year old sluts fault we can't online videogame!! :bahgawd:

Fault of their parents, I said. And "underage girls may use it to arrange sex for money" has hosed over pretty much every internet service in Japan with UGC - it's one of the big reasons for the collapse in popularity of Mixi amongst other things.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

robodex posted:

My partner was really devastated yesterday when he spent an hour making me a swapnote on his new 2DS when I broke it to him that I will never see it :(
I thought that the SpotPass features still worked?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

It doesn't really play anything like a real tabletop RPG, it's pretty much just a JRPG with dice rolls.

It's far far closer to a Fighting Fantasty / Lone Wolf sort of thing (down to the way that combat/inventory based options open your choices up) than a "JRPG"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I do not understand how moderation on Miiverse works.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

-EU-only: Anyone who registers/links a NNID to their 3DS before January 31 gets a free download code for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GBC) on 3DS VC! The codes will be mailed to the email address used to register your NNID, and will go out in February.
It's also there for Japan, with different dates - ends Jan 13 (which I think is also the last date for the buy-2-games-get-a-free-Nintendo-download offer) and download codes "by the end of the month"

quote:

-Chibi Robo: Photo Finder (3DS); Chibi Robo game with an AR mechanic that utilises the 3DS' camera. Out January 9 in NA, demo coming "soon". (Wasn't mentioned on the NOE press release.)

Hopefully this means they'll get the puzzle page too - it's one of 3 that I can't get pink pieces for because not even the other 2 or 3 Japanese 3DSes floating around where I live (going by streetpass notifications for Fantasy Life Link / Tomodachi Collection) don't have them either (Dalmatia sports, the free-to-play dog-fronted baseball game, and Monster Hunter 4 are the others)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

shyduck posted:

It's solely single player but it's all mini-games so it makes it easy to pass the controller around. It's kinda akin to Warioware.

The way it was being shown in the special Game Center CX I had assumed there was some sort of built-in pass-the-controller style multiplayer. Was that really just editing?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Japanese servers are offline between 6PM and 6AM so everyone is being burned by Nintendo's fuckup here.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dehry posted:

US and Europe are offline at the same time, but going down at 9PM is better than 1PM.

Unless something has changed, thanks to Nintendo of Europe's decision to base themselves in Germany AND their over-conservative implementation of the loving insane German laws to do with the internet, it means that you can't look at any info about / download any content related to games with a rating higher than PEGI 12 (I think you can download PEGI 12 games still right?) so it really depends on what it is you are trying to do.

Box of Bunnies posted:

This particular incident is doing a pretty good job of showing how much of an afterthought we are, though.

You could perhaps even describe it as Nintendo's Gallipoli...

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I thought they took down Pokemon Bank in Japan though?

Yep - nowhere is getting an amazing deal out of this (though it does seem that the west coast of the US and Australia are getting the worst deal) - if it weren't for the fact this is a Japanese company, and Nintendo at that, I'd assume this was a colossal fuckup that would be leading to heads rolling but I can't imagine there will be any fall-out.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 28, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I don't know when they flipped the switch but Nintendoji and Advance Wars DS download codes, previously only available as platinum / gold member awards for Club Nintendo Japan in 2012/2013 are now available for 500 points/800 points on Club Nintendo Japan. The fact they're opening up sale could point to a release overseas?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Family Kart 3D has a big "DISPLAYS IN 2D ONLY" disclaimer in the PR, cute.

If they're releasing their games in the same order as they did in Japan (I have no idea) then you've another 2 years of several god-awful Arc Systems Works games a month.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ptarmigans posted:

I really like the idea of SmileBASIC, but the thought of having to input everything via an on-screen keyboard is pretty off putting.

If it's anything like the previous 2 versions, you can type programs up on your pc, turn them into QR codes, and get them into the app that way.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Echophonic posted:

I picked up a Japanese pro controller, since I wanted a white one. Here's the Club Nintendo JP code, hopefully someone can put it to use and get some of the cool poo poo they get over there.
Took this thanks

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

pichupal posted:

According to Neogaf, there are unlockable themes that require you to buy 10 plays in a day.
At the moment it's only 5 plays in a day for what it's worth (only used my initial 5 free plays so far, they don't count - you also don't get to pick what machine you use)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Do they still do the thing where you can't access any information at all on the eShop about PEGI 18 titles until after 11PM German time? Because that's the dumbest implementation of a dumb law that I've ever heard of.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Spoderman posted:

Can anybody speak to whether any of these games are worth getting?

I enjoyed Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D - if you like rhythm games you'll get at least $10 of enjoyment out of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Wii Music is less than 10 years old though.