Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Your country has a long history with opposition to violence in video games. This is really nothing new from Germany. I've never heard of this regulation, but it isn't surprising in the least.

I may be wrong, but I'm assuming from the tone of his post that he doesn't live in Germany and by extension, this is some weird bullshit restriction that's going to affect Europe in general.

EDIT:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/10/wii-us-european-late-night-eshop-restriction-due-to-german-law/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Not that I'm condoning their decision, but I'm just glad it's only restricted (hurr) to purchasing software from the eShop. Now if we were talking about an additional time window in which you could play those games, that would be massively hosed.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL-land has the first MM game on the 3DS VC, does NA not even have that yet?

Maybe they're gonna be uncharacteristically generous and make 'em all available at once.

Maybe they're going to be characteristically Capcommy and release a Megaman Classic Collection cartridge. Alternatively, that 3D Classics library IS looking a little slim...

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Leofish posted:

They can get the original Mega Man, but they still don't have the Oracle Zeldas up. Come on, guys, my Seasons cart doesn't work anymore.

I still can't believe they made the decision to disallow multiplayer on old games. The biggest boost in popularity for games like Tetris or Radar Mission was the ability to link up with another player, and now you just drop the ROM in the online store without even that? What's the point then?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Rirse posted:

It won't really matter for Oracle of Season and Age, as there is the password option to move the saves over.

MeccaPrime was kind enough to demonstrate the same in his LP of both games. The talk of the Oracles series just reminded me of so many games on the system that used connectivity of some kind (passwords or Link Cable) to access extra features, and how said connectivity was cut off for some arbitrary reason on the eShop.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
No reviews or screenshots online on Sonic All-Stars Racing 3D (the closest thing there is to media is a shaky-cam YouTube clip), and the page for the download on the eShop doesn't even give you a video to gauge your expectations. The best you get is three screenshots - and after viewing those my concerns aren't exactly put at ease. I'm probably going to skip buying this.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

That actually makes it more weird. They're not supposed to be sexy, but they're sexualized anyway. Why can't they just be regular cute cartoon girls instead of cute T&A cartoon girls? The games play and look great otherwise, but this is a consistent creepy thing Wayforward does.

They're the developers. Creators are entitled to the final say in their work, unless the money they're working for says otherwise.

What I want to know is whether/how the firefighting theme will incorporate the upper screen's 3D capabilities. And if Kaufman is on music duty again.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I didn't realize criticism was impeding on developer free speech or whatever, but okay??

Good thing nobody brought up free speech at all and just pointed out how creators create for themselves or for profit, then??

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Edoraz posted:

Rare used to be like that, too.

I thought Rare's idea of character design was "take a thing, stick googly eyes on it, money in the bank"?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

They must have the data that says that absolutely no one is buying these games for €60 on the eShop right? :ohdear: Why the christ are the so expensive.

Because people might live in one of those bizarro-universe cities where there's high speed broadband internet and absolutely no shops that sell games Because early adopters and impatient people Hey, remember when Amazon or eBay was a thing? Good times.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Revol posted:

Nintendo is trying to set the market, while the market was already set years ago thanks to the smartphone revolution. Why are people going to pay $8 for an old SNES game, when they can buy new games on their cell phone, which usually have better graphics and newer gameplay, for only a dollar? Or, when it's so damned easy to just download the ROM? I have Super Mario World on my iPhone!

Because people are complacent/loyal enough to suck it down and either rationalise it as "it could be worse" or even actively defend the action.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

I never got to play the original Shantae legally so that's great news. Pity we don't know the release date though.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

You're being rather generous. I'm wondering if folks will figure out that whole wall jumping thing so early in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8uTRZ9ppk

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
I can't speak for games like Labyrinth and Blast, but I can recommend Tails Adventures. It's a lot like Quackshot for the Genesis, where you can swap between levels on the world map and find items or power ups to make progress. Plus you get to fly and throw bombs.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

All the Sonic games currently available for the 3DS VC are Game Gear games, ie not "real" Sonic games and generally not fun in their own right, either. If you've never played a Sonic game before you definitely shouldn't start with any of those.

A stereoscopic 3D version of the original Mega Drive game should hit the eShop at some point this year, I suggest you wait for that one (or go buy Sonic 1/2/3/Knuckles from Wii VC or Steam or one of the other jillion rereleases).

For what it's worth I'd recommend giving the Game Gear games a go because they have lots of weird/neat experimental ideas that were never implemented in the Genesis games - but for that reason I recommend giving the games a try only in the context of having played the Genesis games first, as PaletteSwappedNinja suggested. And, ideally, playing the games under circumstances where you're not paying £/$5 for them each (e.g. Sonic Mega Collection + or Gems Collection).

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
We had a copy of Mario Kart 7 between me and my brothers back when it was first released, for single-card multiplayer, but that cartridge seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. If I buy a copy of the game via eShop, can I still use that digital copy to play single-card multiplayer?

EDIT: Awesome, thanks AngryCaterpillar.

StevenM fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 5, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

-Does anyone remember Steel Empire, the steampunk shmup for Sega Mega Drive? No? Well, it's coming to the JP eShop at some point.

I remember Steel Empire! If anyone doesn't - imagine a horizontal shoot-em-up like Gradius or whatever, only you can fire left or right, and enemies/bosses will attack from the left or right of the screen to take advantage of that. And it's not a really awkward transition between firing left and right either, like Tail Spin for the NES. It's a decent game.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Here's a Japanese article on the 3DS version (click) - it definitely looks more like a remake than a port.

Apparently the source code for the original Mega Drive game fell off the face of the Earth, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're basing this off the GBA port - or, as you say, rebuilding it from the ground up.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Super Little Acorns seems to have rave reviews, and some of the gameplay seems to be inspired by Bionic Commando or Ninja Five-O with the grappling hook. Is it worth buying if you're into freeform swinging, or if you're into platformers in general?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

They couldn't do SoR 2 or 3 because it would lead to arguments over which is better.

Sounds like they had the same problem with the Sonic series.

Now as for the Shinobi games, they clearly know the superior title to pick. :smug:

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What will that actually cost in the UK then, and is it worth it? I've never played a MH game before and I can't tell the difference between the 17 different versions of Monster Hunter 3 over 40 different consoles. Or whatever.

It's £40 on the 3DS and Wii U eShop, so 40% off would make that £24. In my opinion if you wanted a copy of this game you should go for the Wii U version.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

setafd posted:

I'm looking to clear space for Bravely Default, but I want to make sure of something before I delete anything. If I delete a game (namely Mario & Luigi: Dream Team), am I losing it for good or will I be able to redownload it from the eShop later at no cost?

Speaking from personal experience, if you delete a game from your SD card or system memory (or have to delete all your data because your SD card was corrupted somehow) then the Purchase Software option will be changed to Redownload, so you don't have to pay the price twice.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Medium Cool posted:

So I just picked up a 3DS today. Any good cheap games on the e-shop? I picked up Pokemon Y and SMTIV. As far as Nintendo handhelds go I mostly just play pokemon, but I'd like to get into some RPGs especially.

3DS
The Starship Damrey
Crimson Shroud
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
The Denpa Men 1/2
PicDun 2: Witch's Curse

Virtual Console
Gargoyle's Quest
Legend of the River King
Mario Tennis
Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
Defenders of Oasis
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Tails Adventure

DSiWare
AlphaBounce
GO Series: Picdun
Zenonia
18th Gate
Anonymous Notes Chapter 1/2

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Awesome! posted:

3 posts and no pushmo/crashmo recommendation. You're all slacking.

His tastes favor RPGs. We can recommend great games on the eShop from all genres but the list would be overwhelming and would result in lots of tedious disagreements. I still think it's something we should do in the future, though, if only as a basic frame of reference for newcomers.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

-Guild sale from now until the 23rd; all Guild titles $2.99/€2.99/£2.69

Crimson Shroud, Liberation Maiden, The Starship Damrey, Aero Porter, Bugs VS Tanks, Attack of the Friday Monsters. Personally I think the first three are great purchases and the sale is a great incentive to get them if you haven't.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Not only is Puzzle Quest roughly seven years late, it's a loving DSiWare game. Why even bother?

Because it's loving fantastic is why

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Xik posted:

Everyone knows because they already played it half a decade ago.

This applies to DS and GBA games as well. :haw:

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

bpc908 posted:

Still pisses me off that Nintendo decided to release the gba games on the Wii U and not on the system that would make sense for portable gaming, 3DS.

Remember when they said the 3DS Virtual Console would focus on handheld titles, like Game Boy and Game Gear and selectively Game Boy Advance (and NES...), and the Wii U Virtual Console would have the home console libraries with NES/SNES games? Now instead it's like "Hey, you know that thing people really want for the 3DS, GBA and DS games - let's put them on the Wii U because that'll make it sell [instead of killing off interest even further]".

Meanwhile I can switch on my Vita and play like half the PSP's library and a huge chunk of titles from the PS Store. :crossarms:

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

greatn posted:

Games cancelled because not enough people voted, there must not be a fanbase.

Quick make a Facebook campaign about it, I'm sure you'll eventually get 100,000 likes in 12 months or so

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Artix posted:

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball owns and I'm sorry that you have such terrible taste that you're not even willing to give it a shot. :colbert:

The 3DS library has greatly increased since 2012, you know. You don't have to pretend games are good to justify owning the system.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

It's a legitimately good game, and I regret that you are unable to get over your own preconceived notions to actually try what's effectively a free demo. :colbert:

I too am sorry you have terrible tastes in games and have to rely on rebuttals such as "b-but you didn't REALLY play it!". Perhaps you would like to make your next purchase an iPhone. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

pretty rich coming from somebody who had a similar hissy fit over Last Of Us lol

When TLOU is a Nintendo game that wants you to haggle for DLC then you might almost be relevant and paid attention to