Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I have been anxiously awaiting this game for soooooo long. I can't believe it's almost here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I created a timeline of events in the game, to the best of my ability:

http://bit.ly/17zT6Wm (Pretty long so I shortened it.)

It's missing a bunch of stuff, namely with Terry's publishing career. If there's something you have a date for that I should add, just let me know and I will put it in.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Nice work! That's really fun to go through. One nitpick, and I wouldn't have noticed this except it was pointed out here, but Jan doesn't actually go to the concert with Rick. The ticket is unripped. It's such a small little detail I wouldn't have ever picked up on it myself.

I took a ton of screenshots so I have a bunch to add if you want. I didn't realize just how many dates and things there were going on until I went through these.

Album with the screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/RkCla

Dates from the screenshots:
December 10, 1965 – Oscar Masan sells his pharmacy to his assistant Samuel Onsteen for a very small amount, speculated to be “as little as one dollar”.
July 20, 1972 – Kate and Sam's mom Janice Elizabeth Connelly Greenbriar becomes a citizen of the United States, naturalizing from Canada.
February 26/28, 1973 – Oscar sends a letter to his sister, Mary Greenbriar (Terry's mother) begging for forgiveness. The letter is returned.
August 13, 1973 – Oscar writes his will.
April 9, 1985 – Sam writes an early version of her “Heaven at the Edge of the World” stories called “The Turtle People: Part 1”. Sam's second grade teacher writes a note to Sam's parents expressing concern over the stories Sam's been writing as well as “other tendencies” she has observed.
December 1, 1992 – Sam writes one of her “Heaven at the Edge of the World” stories titled “The Green Glacier: Part 2”, where the first mate transforms into a female.
October 3-5/6, 1994 – Jan Greenbriar supervises controlled burn of Boon County old growth forest.
October 20, 1994 – Lonnie is suspended for the rest of the day for wearing a Pabst Blue Ribbon shirt to school.
November 24, 1994 – Sam and Lonnie have Thanksgiving dinner at each others' houses.
December 10, 1994 – Sam orders the heart pendant with S+L engraved on it.
February 8, 1995 – Jan is offered position as Regional Conservation Director.
March 26 (?), 1995 – Kate sends postcard from Vatican City.
March 28, 1995 – Unknown Dimension Lit. reaches out to Terry, expressing enthusiasm about wanting to republish his books.
April 10, 1995 – Jan is officially promoted to Regional Conservation Director.
April 21, 1995 – Sam is suspended from April 24-28 for “distributing inappropriate materials on school grounds” (her and Lonnie's zine).
May 10, 1995 – Kate sends a postcard from Barcelona, mentioning she is running low on money and will be coming home soon.
June 2 or 3, 1995 – Sam and Katie's parents leave on an “anniversary trip” (Strong Pines Couples' Counseling Retreat) which is scheduled from June 3-7.
June 4, 1995 – Rick (Jan's coworker's) wedding.

This is all fantastic, thank you so much.

I've updated the timeline with the contributions above and the suggested edits: http://bit.ly/17zT6Wm

A couple of questions to fill in some gaps:

Do we know Sam's date of birth?

Why is there a financial planner for 1968 if Oscar sold the pharmacy in 1965?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

The one weird thing about the fake blood stains in the bathtub is that it implies Sam hasn't bathed in like, six months.

I'm assuming Lonnie dyed her hair one last time before they grabbed everything and split, same with making a fort out of the couch cushions.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oooo, have others started coming out? I seriously love this kind of thing too, and I'm looking forward to Gone Home inspired games to start hitting the market hopefully soon. I want it to create it's own specific sub-genre.

Before this thread was closed, this is actually close to the point I wanted to make. I think what we're arguing here in whether it's-a-game or not-a-game can really be summed up as such: this is the birth of a sub-genre of new video games.

Now, why all the vitriol from both sides? :iiam:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

So this sounds like the kind of game I'd really dig but I accidentally found a couple of spoilers about it a while ago. I only really got that the story is about a lesbian romance, Riot Grrrl, and marital problems (I think). Is that enough to completely ruin the game for me, or should I go ahead and buy it anyway because there's more to it?

This is exactly all the same stuff I had spoiled to me and I greatly enjoyed the game anyway. What I didn't know were the details, and it's the details that make the story/game.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

A lot of people in this thread keep mentioning that it's a 90 minute game, but I spent almost four hours playing through it the first time. I think you guys are going too fast through it.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Gone Home takes place more than a thousand miles from the Bible Belt.

Dude, don't even reply. Guy's just trying to get people to sucker into replying to him so he can jump up on some soap box about how enlightened the world outside of the United States is and how he's pretty sophisticated in his english-speaking paradise and how we should be ashamed of our Walmarts and McDonalds or whatever. Then someone will point out how backwards Australia is in regards to Muslims and then the thread will break down and get closed again for another month.

Just let it slide. He didn't like the game, that's cool, no big deal. Don't let that last unnecessary sentence bait you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Kind of changing the subject, this game reminded me of your Moments "LP" a little bit, in terms of story. Man, a Gone Home text adventure, now THAT would be sweet.

That's actually really high praise. Thank you. :) It's nice to have my story remembered from time to time. I don't post in GBS much these days (since the change) and I have no idea how many Games folks ever saw the Moments thread. I've been thinking about doing another CYOA story.

What would be really exciting is, in Gone Home, having access to a 1995 computer where you can sit down and play around on it, eventually stumbling upon a text-based adventure game that strangely mirrors the events unfolding in the game around you...

• Locked thread