Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I greatly enjoy Ken Jennings roasting the current champ and I hope he will continue to slam her or whoever replaces her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

What's wrong with Ryan's head?

I sent this photo to my wife

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I took the photo at an angle, you guys

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

"Is it or is it not ____?"

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The Mighty Moltres posted:

What is going on with the time running out like every episode lately?

fuckin lol

Well today there were like a dozen clues nobody even tried to answer, which really slowed things down. I don't think I've ever seen as many questions left on the board as there were at the end of the DJ round today

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

That was the one. We noticed a lot of clues where nobody buzzed in, and there were, I think, 5 questions up on the board at the end? I don't remember ever seeing more than 2 or 3 before.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Did anyone catch the editing error in the Double Jeopardy round? Ryan buzzed in (at 14:44 here) and the other two have their final scores displayed. It must have been a reshoot, only they forgot to change the other scores before they did it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

The first was the places that begin with B category, the second was the Crosby category. Different Berlins, but still feels sloppy.

Jeopardy writers trying to get cute like crossword constructors

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Jeopardy! posted:

- One noticeable thing is the size and clumsiness of the microphone that Art Fleming is wearing. It hangs down from his neck and is quite obvious.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I got irrationally angry at "the edict of Nantssss" today.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Star Man posted:

gently caress, dig up Rush Limbaugh's fuckin corpse and put him behind the podium. Anybody but Mayim again.

WHOLESOME: Jeopardy! producers to remind viewers Rush Limbaugh is dead 5 times a week

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Spokes posted:

cat's out, 00:16 and 00:22 for me :)

https://abc.com/shows/the-chase/video/vdka27432873

No word on air date yet but i'll share when i've got it

Sweet dance at :22

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Dryb posted:

I can't stand the constant comments/moans when she gets a question wrong, when the others still have the chance to ring in.

This bugs me too. I think I've known too many people with personalities and mannerisms very similar to hers, because I just have no patience for the noises and asides. I'm sure I'd rub a lot of people the wrong way in the exact same way if I made it on

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Howling at the end of Double Jeopardy today. Can't say I've ever seen that

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Matt Amodio was a heel, to me

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I got the distinct impression that a producer asked her to dial it back a bit yesterday, because she was much more direct and restrained

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Spokes posted:

it's a bad question imo. there are plenty of shakespeare plays about killing or deposing heads of state and just because caesar is the most obvious there's nothing stopping it from being hamlet or macbeth or coriolanus or titus or most of the histories

On the other hand it's common enough knowledge that Booth shouted "sic semper tyrannis" as he shot Lincoln, which was allegedly shouted when Caesar was assassinated. It's far from a coin flip question, imo

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Unkempt posted:

Mozambique is lusitanic.

Lusitanic Panic would be a great trivia team/band name

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I had forgotten about the mansion in CK being named Xanadu, and I thought it must be some especially weird B&W movie, so the best guess I could muster was Metropolis. Mattea is definitely bugging me much less now that she's dialed back the chattiness a bit, and she seems very likable in that interview

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The best guess I could muster was The Grapes of Wrath, though I knew that had to be Depression-era. Anybody else think that Farewell to Arms is actually extremely on the nose and lame for a poem about a retiring knight? :v:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Everyone seems so sleepy when Mayim is hosting.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

HookShot posted:

This actually is true and I got a weird look from a coach who walked in on me working out normally the week before I flew out while listening to a podcast on roman history through my speakers in the middle of a set of squats.

Mike Duncan or Patrick Wyman? Because Wyman is also a big muscly buff guy, I believe

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

HookShot posted:

No, I used to ski race competitively and we had a dedicated gym in our club where I used to train. It was one of my racing coaches.

Oh I was asking if it was one of those two guys' Roman history podcasts, lol

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

HookShot posted:

Ours went to the collapse of the Soviet Union, only our textbooks were published in 1990, so they literally went up to what was then "present day" and the teacher had to be like "yeah and then the following year a few things happened that aren't in your books because that was the future then".

Francis Fukuyama wrote your textbook, so what

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

He did seem surprisingly uncomfortable and flustered when he was hosting. It makes me wonder what sort of stuff was going on behind the scenes that might have thrown him off right before filming started

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Howling with anger at everyone missing final jeopardy today

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I was really embarrassed for the English lady. That's gotta be one of the main things they beat into your head in grade school there

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

She's done her own research and doesn't need to blindly believe what the cards say

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Here in Minneapolis Jeopardy airs right before the local news, and during the mid-episode commercial break yesterday they advertised an interview with Eric (since he's from here) they were going to air at 5:00 and it made it really obvious he was going to win

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I was on the right track but I guessed Angels and Demons thinking that might a section of Dante's Inferno, because I forgot that the actual answer was another book in the series. Embarrassing to miss it when I had the right idea

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The original false flag imo

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The Sean posted:

Holy poo poo a full category dedicated to infomercializing their cryptocurrency. Gross.

It's not real though, and they seemed to be making fun of crypto if anything :confused:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

You raise some good points. I definitely rolled my eyes at it, and I thought the name "jeopcoin" veered uncomfortably close to a certain racial slur for Romani people.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The two challengers today looked awfully upset. Like someone had told them their parents had died right before filming started

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Jeopardy got preempted by the US Open where I live, so I didn't get to watch yesterday. Sounds like a loving doozy of an episode, I've gotta look it up on Youtube today

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I can see how it might be hard if you don't think about the category and what it implies, but yeah all in all that was really easy

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Not in the Double Jeopardy round. There is only a prompt from the host in the Jeopardy round.

I'm pretty sure in the Jeopardy round they'll accept the answer and give you a warning. I don't remember the host ever giving a verbal prompt in Double Jeopardy but yeah I've always seen the contestants being given the full time to self correct

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I guessed it but you're right that there's literally nothing in the clue to help you reason it out. I don't even think it's clear from the clue that they're asking about DC? Kind of terrible

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

So studio audiences are coming back to Jeopardy for next season. To be honest I haven't really missed them.

Have they been faking the applause and everything for the last couple years? I hadn't even registered that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

If you're in second place going into Final Jeopardy and the leader has exactly double your money, the only acceptable wager is all of your money. You know the only chance you have to win is getting the right answer while your opponent gets it wrong, and the only way to guarantee that gives you the game is to bet everything. Second place guy today should have won today, but he made a very, very unfortunate mistake with his wager.