Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Island Nation posted:

Isn't it usually a good idea to just say the surname? If they wanted you to be more specfic, they'd say so or not rule immediately.

It's usually a good idea, but the way that clue was worded you'd definitely expect her to respond that she needs the first name too. The contestant got away with one there because Mayim is terrible at her job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

MokBa posted:

Amazing how much better the show is with Ken. An enormous jump in quality today.

Yeah the lower-scoring games were always especially tortuous with Mayim. There were a lot of missed questions in today's game but Ken kept it moving along very well.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I guess they just liked it better that way.

That's nobody's business but New York's

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I only know the song from this (amazing) mashup, which samples it starting at 2:15:

https://youtu.be/JIGUHqV-aH8

These mashup albums have seriously expanded my pop music knowledge for pub trivia purposes

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I heard that exact same question at pub trivia a few months ago so I happened to know it, but I think it's fair to assume that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doesn't induct people until their careers are mostly behind them. That's pretty much how every other HoF works, and if you ever see headlines about who's getting abducted, it's always acts from about 20-30 years ago, so it's safe to assume they're asking about an older artist.

But there's no clue beyond "woman, successful as part of a band and also as a solo act". You'd think they would work in some language about her style or specific career highlights that the Hall used when it enshrined her for the second time

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

the first thing that pops into my head when i hear about dave mathews isn't any of his music, it's the goon talking about how dave matthew's tour bus offloaded its sewage off the bridge it was sitting on and onto the tour boat where the goon was working.

Same. There's a Wikipedia article about it if anyone's interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Matthews_Band_Chicago_River_incident

It includes this choice line:

quote:

On August 25, Mayor Richard M. Daley held a press conference, in which he released the videotape used as evidence. Daley also expressed his belief that the dumping was "absolutely unacceptable", but that he believed the Dave Matthews Band was "a very good band".

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 27, 2022

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Hm, today's episode (which was a rerun) is still up. Maybe they just took down some of the older ones?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Cup of Hemlock posted:

BUZZR runs some of his old Classic Concentration games and he is just a master at hosting.

I was honestly galled by what a flirt he was on Classic Concentration

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yeah, "don't bet that both you and your opponent will be wrong" when you're in the lead is like rule #1 for Final. I like Luigi and am glad he made it to 5 wins but he should have won more

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Timby posted:

Per CNN, Michael Davies is considering another rule change; this one would give a cash bonus to a contestant who sweeps an entire category.

Stop trying to fix what isn't broken, you dumb fucks.

I don't necessarily hate it. It would provide a counterbalancing incentive to players jumping all over the place hunting for the daily doubles. Right now that's objectively the best strategy, but having an alternative viable strategy might make for interesting games where one player is hunting DDs and another is trying to run categories

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yesterday's game was really painful for us. Lots of relatively easy triple stumpers and really wrong answers

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

haveblue posted:

The category was "one-named rock stars". The buzzer guessed "Who is Axl Rose?", was ruled wrong, and no one else dared try

A different clue in that category got "Who is Ed Sheeran?" (not sure if it was the same contestant or not) so it was just a big collective brain fart by everyone on stage

It was the same guy (the champion, in fact). He seemed very confident both times, and both times elicited a shout of secondhand embarrassment from us.

CPColin posted:

For mine, the clue was "This designation of the Starship Enterprise was created partly because U.S. aircraft had 'NC' registrations."

The correct response, of course, is "What is 'no bloody A, B, C, or D'?"

I don't understand what the hell this means

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yeah didn't he have like a $10k daily double wager yesterday or the day before? He could definitely be more aggressive in final but he takes plenty of risks otherwise, and he's building impressive leads in pretty much every game. It's early of course but he seems like the strongest champ since Amy.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The Sean posted:

edit: Cool af that Amy has her tatt out. Amy mentioned it in one of her J! stories on the show but I think they made her keep it concealed during her whole run.

Why in the world would they make her keep her tattoo covered? Have there really never been any visibly tattooed contestants or something? I've never thought about this

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The Dave posted:

I'm pretty sure the artist can also claim copyright for their art, regardless of the subject of the art. Basically me trying to recall what is happening with NBA video games / toys where Lebron's artist sued and won.

My understanding is that tattoo artists generally only retain copyright/intellectual ownership of the tattoo if that's part of the agreement with the tattoo recipient from the outset, and that celebrity tattoo artists are really the only ones doing that (so that they can get paid for reproductions). That is, your average schmo's tattoo is not going to legally belong to the artist, which I think would make the show more vulnerable to a lawsuit in this case

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I was able to deduce the answer, but yesterday's final was...very strangely worded to me? It wasn't immediately clear if they were asking about a specific named plant (i.e. "the apple tree that had the apple that hit Newton on the head", which I believe is apocryphal anyway) or a particular species or what. I can kind of see why it stumped the contestants.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Rowan is very impressive as a player but I find their vibe exceptionally grating. Taking up that much of the room's energy is probably a good strategy for throwing off one's opponents, I guess

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

If election coverage preempts the match in your area, literally just search "jeopardy" on YouTube, the top result will be today's episode

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yes if you win 3 then you have mathematically won the best of 7 possible games. Every other competition uses the same terminology and it's fine

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Oh i guess that does make sense. Fair enough

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

CPColin posted:

There is zero chance a player gets four because the tournament is over as soon as someone gets three. It can be called "best of seven" because the maximum number of games possible is seven (2-2-3).
This is circular. You're arguing it's accurate to call it "best of 7" when the criteria for winning is getting 3 wins, not because getting 3 wins means that player will have mathematically won more than half of the 7 games in the series, but because the producers have arbitrarily decided that 3 wins is the criteria for winning the series.

This is the stupidest argument, and to be clear I don't really care, but "best of 7" and "first to 3 wins" are not really interchangeable terms in a 3 player competition. The 3 game goal and 7 game cap are mathematically unrelated, since two players could tie one another's win count if they played a full 7 games. That's not the case in two team series

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 18, 2022

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

quote:

When someone talks about a three-player tournament where one player can get three wins and another can stage a comeback and get four wins, that person is describing a different tournament that is neither "best of seven" nor "first to three wins"
How is that not a best of seven? What you've described is a 7 game series where the player with the most wins (4) is the overall winner.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I feel like I'm having a stroke

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

PSXer posted:

It seemed awfully convenient to me that the interview segment for the very last game of the tournament was about who the contestants wanted to thank. That's usually how it goes in tournaments. However, they also usually know exactly how many games a tournament is going to have ahead of time. What if this tournament ended after game 4 or 5 and they never got a chance to thank people?

They couldn't just do the interview segments out of order, because then the contestants would be wearing the wrong clothes. Maybe they taped similar segments for game 4 and 5 but didn't use them because it wasn't the last game?

I wouldn't be surprised if they filmed that after the final jeopardy. It didn't seem as though any of them were terribly upset at the result so maybe the vibes were very positive and they were all able to record some very happy and earnest comments just fine

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Ken Jennings should tell him that he can find rips of each episode on Youtube

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

"Aztec" is not a language and it's really weird that the clue today said/implied that it is

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Ray seems like the nicest man in the world so I wouldn't mind if he makes a long run, but also good luck to goon

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I like the spinning

:hmmyes:

I like everything about Ray

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Today's final seemed... exceptionally obscure to me

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Spokes posted:

my thoughts:
there's a lot of (well-deserved) controversy around james as the idiot website guy, ... the made-them-change-the-rules-about-final-jeopardy-shout-out guy, etc etc.

What are these a reference to? I missed James' run entirely and just saw occasional headlines about a guy making big DD wagers and breaking records, so I guess I'm out of the loop. I thought people were just irritated by his play style.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

That was also bad TV and made everyone really mad, hth

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Hilarious final jeopardy today, and an entire round of the defending champ being completely unable to buzz in

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

:lol: Two days in a row of middle school-level FJ questions missed by all three contestants

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

So uh, did The Fablemans have a release that got pushed back, because I've never heard of it (and obviously no one has seen it)

The movie looked super trite and stupid, so that might have had something to do with it

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Reading through some of his other recent posts, it seems his demeanor can be broadly described as "having a normal one" and "definitely not mad, actually laughing at the whole thing, and maybe you're the one who's mad actually."

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

He seems especially intent on pointing out that J! is not a pure test of knowledge, but does anyone seriously believe otherwise? In my limited experience the knowledge you have to display in order to be eligible to appear on the show is far more advanced and esoteric than the knowledge you're typically asked about on the show itself, because they want the audience to be able to follow along, and because they want one (and ideally more than one) contestant to be able to answer each and every question correctly so the stakes are high and the show moves quickly. The guy already competes at the highest level of quizzing in the country and everybody knows it, so it's hard not to read it as bitterness at not excelling at this particular format. Even though he did pretty well!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

He makes like $300k for a day's work and doesn't seem to put much effort into it. I'd be pissed off at the thought of someone coming for my job too.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Pat Sajack gives off more "keep these vile, poor Midwesterners away from me" vibes than anyone else on TV and it's not particularly close. I have never seen someone care less about their job

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Spokes posted:

i went back to look at the contestant release i submitted and let me tell you what I led with:

the other four are somehow even worse

This owns actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've probably said before that I prefer the Amy/Matt/Ken archetype to the robotic James/Cris style. That's mostly just personal preference, though.

Seems like I read at one point that Daily Doubles were almost never located at $100/$200 clue positions, but that they were far more likely the farther down the clue column you got? Maybe that's changed now, but I can't remember the last time someone got a DD at the top of a category.

My understanding is that DDs used to only appear in the bottom three rows, and it's only recently that they allowed them to appear in the second row. I assume they're equally likely to appear in any of row 2-5, but maybe you're right that it's weighted.