Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

I haven't been able to watch in a few weeks, but I recently saw a promo for a talk show interview with a Jeopardy contestant who was supposedly treated unfairly or lost due to a technicality or something. Does anybody know the deal with that story, or where I could find more information? I think I saw the promo around December 18 or so.

I tried Googling to see if I could find anything for you, but unfortunately searches looking for people losing jeopardy based on a technicality are very much law based and not TV show based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I totally registered too, I figured once I put in my residency as Canada they would say I can't, but go figure, I'm still eligible!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I also registered. Not a lot of testing sites near VA, though, so if I pass the online test (I won't) I have to go to Nashville, TN. Like an IDIOT!

e: how would you NOT guess Mark Twain with a quote like that from 1886? THOREAU? What a bad guess, you absolute poo poo!!!

I live in Vancouver and the closest testing place to me was literally Los Angeles, a three hour plane ride again.

I chose Toronto so I can stay in the same country, seeing as it's only an extra two hours by plane.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I rarely watch them because PVR, but I always laugh when the person's anecdote is even worse than most of them because you just KNOW that is the most interesting thing that has ever happened in that person's life.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

escape artist posted:

There are probably a lot of entertaining stories that are not told because
A) the person is embarrassed
B) it would not be good for early evening network TV

Like, I have plenty of good stories... but most of them are very dark. I'd probably end up telling the story of when I met President Clinton.

You're ruining my judging of people I don't know on a nerd quiz show. :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MondayHotDog posted:

That 10 letter daily double question was bullshit. When was the last time anyone used the word "videophone"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGkvXp0vdng

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I'm doing Thursday at 10pm.

Also you forgot LITERARY QUESTION and AMERICAN LITERARY QUESTION

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Geography, French Revolution, Sherlock Homes, James Bond, Renaissance Art, Hockey

Basically my perfect lineup of categories.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
drat it, I can't believe you eastern people got the African Geography question, that's basically my favourite category.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Let's face it, there's like an 80% chance the writers forgot Djibouti exists.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So who else is in tonight's crew?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Maybe it's because I'm fluent in French but that totally continued this week's streak of easy FJ questions.

I'm doing the test at 8 Pacific.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
drat questions about America :argh:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I typed in Captain Nero :downs:

What was the auto repairman's terrors? I typed in mechanic's hysterics but I doubt that's it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

mechanic's panics
urrrrrrghhhhhhhh of course

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
drat it, it was Hudson, I answered Cabot.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Someone correct me if I screwed these up.

1. WORLD WAR I
This treaty officially ended WWI military actions vs. Germany

Versailles

2. NOVELS IN BRIEF
Cuban harpoons marlin; struggle ensues

The Old Man and the Sea

3. COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES
The Hoover Institution on War, Revolution & Peace is part of this university near Palo Alto

Stanford

4. CELEBRITIES
In 2012 this singer signed a $50 million deal with Pepsi, including having her face on a can

Beyonce

5. LAKES
This Great Lake is the only one located entirely within the United States

Michigan

6. OPERA
He composed "Tosca"

Puccini

7. INVENTORS
N 1769 he obtained his first patent, a separate condensing chamber & other improvements to the steam engine

James Watt

8. SHAKESPEARE
In this comedy Viola loves Orsino, who loves Olivia, who loves Viola (who's disguised as a man)

Twelfth Night

9. FOOD
Pad Thai consists of these, pan fried with egg, shrimp & tofu

Noodles

10. U.S. STAMPS
Born a slave in 1820, in 1978 she became the first black woman honored on a U.S. postage stamp

Harriet Tubman

11. LATIN 101
This 2-word phrase, Latin for "good faith", means "authentic" in English

Bonafide

12. CENTRAL AMERICA
The narrowest point of Central America can be found in Darien in this country

Panama

13. PRIMETIME TV
In 2011 Ted Danson joined the cast of this Vegas-set show

CSI

14. MAGAZINES
Fashion designers grover before Anna Wintour, editor of this magazine

Vogue

15. ANCIENT WORDS
Used by Aristotle, this Greek word has come to mean excessive pride that leads to tragic downfall

hubris

16. CHILDREN'S AUTHORS
In 1972 she published "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing"

Judy Blume

17. "B" IN SCIENCE
The study of the way projectiles, such as nuclear missiles, move in flight

Balistics

18. CONGRESS
Created July 24, 1789, it's the main committee in the House that deals with tax bills

Ways and Means

19. ANCIENT GREECE
Among the Greek city-states, only this one had a standing army

Sparta

20. BROADWAY MUSICALS
"I Can Do That" & "The Music And The Mirror" are songs in this musical

A Chorus Line

21. CHARACTERS IN FRENCH LIT
In a 19th century novel, he commands the Nautilus sub

Captain Nemo

22. WORLD CURRENCY
It's the main monetary unit of South Africa

Rand

23. "PRE"-CISELY
A synonym for "victorious" that's also used of the predominant wind direction

Prevailing

24. STATE CAPITALS
The capital of "The Mount Rushmore State" is this city

Pierre

25. ART TERMS
The Merode Altarpiece is a famous one of these 3-panel works

Triptych

26. RHYME TIME
An auto repairman's terrors

mechanic's panics

27. TECH BUZZWORDS
This type of network computing stores your data on a remote server rather than on your own hard drive

Cloud

28. BOOKS OF THE BIBLE
This New Testament book is sometimes called Apocalypse

Revelation

29. RECENT FICTION
Amy Dunne's disappearance makes her the title character of this Gillian Flynn novel

Gone Girl

30. TERMS IN ASTRONOMY
As many as half of the stars in the Milky Way may be these, also called double stars

Binary?

31. ACTORS
He plays Jean Valjean in the 2012 film of "Les Miserables"

Hugh Jackman

32. CROSSWORD CLUES "R"
"Buyer's" guilt (7 letters)

Remorse

33. HOLIDAYS
A 1983 act of Congress made it a federal holiday

MLK Jr Day

34. AMERICAN POETS
Some of his most famous poems appeared in the 1914 collection "North of Boston"

Robert Frost

35. U.S. PRESIDENTS
He was the 22nd & 24th President of the United States

Grover Cleveland

36. MEDICINE IN THE NEWS
In 2012 the Duchess of Cambridge was hospitalized with hyperemesis gravidarum-- severe this

Morning Sickness

37. RIVERS
The 12th-longest river in the world, it flows through Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam

Mekong

38. ARCHITECTS
L.A.'s Disney Hall & Seattle's Experience Music Project are designs by this man

Frank Gehry

39. PLAYWRIGHTS
In 1894 this man & his arms gave us "Arms And The Man"

George Bernard Shaw

40. BIG BUSINESS
In 2010 this airline merged with Continental

United

41. METALS
Brass & bronze are alloys using this reddish metal

Copper

42. 5-LETTER WORDS
From the Arabic, it's a Muslim holy war or spiritual struggle against infidels

Jihad

43. BIOGRAPHIES
"The Last Lion", the final volume of a biography of this man, came out in 2012

Churchill

44. WEIGHTS & MEASURES
10 gallons equals 37.854 of these metric units

Liters

45. POP CULTURE
He's the creator & the voice of Brian the dog & diabolically clever baby Stewie Griffin

Seth MacFarlane

46. 17th CENTURY EXPLORERS
In 1609 this Englishman led an expedition up a river leading to present-day Albany

Hudson

47. U.S. MOUNTAINS
Mount Whitney is the highest peak in this Spanish-named mountain range

Sierra Nevadas

48. IN THE COURTROOM
Opposing counsel may object to this type of question that puts words in a witness' mouth

Leading

49. ANIMALS
Found in Indonesia, this largest living lizard has a toxic bite

Komodo Dragon

50. MYTHOLOGICAL WOMEN
This tragic title figure of Euripides' play gets even with her husband Jason

Medea

I've got 27

HookShot fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 11, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Riptor posted:

Ways and Means
Thanks, I've edited the post to reflect the answer!

But yeah, good luck everyone!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Deep down, the producers are seething at having to pay off another tie for her. Double prize money has to add up.

Meh, the first three days she was on she got like $17k, plus if you add the extra 7 the other dude got that still averages under $10k/day.

The last week or so of contestants (except Ashok) have been really, really dumb.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I liked Alex's double take when he realized they gave a NASA analyst an entire catagory about NASA acronyms.

Though to be fair they were just kind of general astronomy questions.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My husband said Yetl as well. He knew it was wrong, but just couldn't make the final connection.

I, on the other hand, guessed West Side Story because it is one of about three Broadway plays I can name.

Then I wonder how I got 27 on the online test.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I didn't really understand the question so I didn't come up with anything :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I fully intend to look like an rear end in a top hat if I ever get on the show.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've seen contestants wearing like 50s style floral print t-shirts that made my TV want to kill itself and they vetoed one of your solid coloured ties? Wow.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The best thing about Jeopardy teen tournament is the cringe worthy ads for the teens online test.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In the last kids tournament on a daily double in the double jeopardy round a kid had like $10,000 and Alex asked him what he wanted to bet and he answered $10.

Alex asked him if he was sure, the kid said yes. Then got the question right. I mean he was like 8 years old or something but I still laughed my rear end off.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is late but I'd never heard of "The Troubles" or know very much about Ireland at all, and as soon as the question came up I still instantly knew it was Belfast because it's the obvious city that has Catholic/Protestant problems, even today.

Also psycho-killer is totally going to end up running a cult one day. I was cheering for Leonard because his facial expressions throughout the game are awesome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

When does the TOC start?
I'm guessing in two days, since the teen tourney ends tomorrow.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yay Leonard!!

What an awesome ending.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hope Stephanie makes it into the next round, I like her :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The best reply was the one in the game with Colby (I haven't watched in a few days and just caught up tonight) when the guy guessed Lake Louise as the answer to the lake between Austria, Germany and Switzerland and Alex is like "No, the correct answer is Lake Constance, the one in Europe" because the best Alex moments are when he gets indignant that Jeopardy contestants usually don't know a lot about Canada.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I did too, I don't know what broadcast I record though so I can't really help much. I think it's one of the CBS Eastern channels though, since I record it at 4:30.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm irrationally angry at the fact that a guy who thinks a place called Alexanderplatz is in Canada is now a two day champion.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The contestants in general have been so loving stupid the last couple weeks.

One of the episodes before the College tourney final Jeopardy was basically "name a country in the south pacific" (near the international date line).

One contestant picked Seychelles, which is literally I'm going to guess ONE HOUR in front of Greenwich, and about as far from the IDL as you can get, and the other answered Antilles, which ISN'T EVEN A GOD DAMNED COUNTRY and is also not even close to the date line.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cordyceps posted:

I think "marathon" might be my favourite FJ answer of all time. Which marathon? Who cares!
My favourite is still the girl in the college one who answered "Himmler" to a question whose answer was "Schindler".

I mean, you can't really get further from the right answer there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My PVR went nuts a few days ago and I wasn't able to watch the episode where Alan ended up champion... what was the story behind that?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I hate how many categories are about literature because I know SFA about it, but I totally understand why it's there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

Teacher's Tournament! I'm rooting for Anne, who's teaching her kindergarteners French.

Going from the word of French she pronounced on that first day (I'm about 3 episodes behind) she certainly isn't doing it well. I didn't even recognize what word she was going for with the answer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Just put in fake info and take the test anyway?

I don't think I can do it this year. There's a tiny chance I'd be around on the Thursday but I think even if by some stroke of luck all the questions were about geography and I did somewhat decently I don't think I'd be able to make auditions :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

escape artist posted:

Where are you located that the episodes are airing so early?

I live in Vancouver, but my cable gets me the channel from Halifax, so I actually get Jeopardy on at like 3:30pm PST, which is earlier than most.

Of course I just record it and watch it with dinner so it's kind of pointless for me, but that's how it happens.