Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Metrilenkki posted:

His words about being abandoned in the forest due to his superiors' incompetence? "Depressing, but not unanticipated"

I don't really know any Finnish stereotypes, but that sounds incredibly British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Caconym posted:

I Norway in april. I guess the water held about 8 degrees C.

I realize now you probably meant "In Norway in April", but reading GIP threads made me spend ten minutes trying to figure out what activity "Norwaying in April" describes.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wild T posted:

Yeah but you lose the whole threat of going to Hell if you don't convert, which is a major recruiting tool for a religion. According to Mormon beliefs I really have no reason not to hedge my bets and go with another belief, since if I'm wrong and they're right I go to heaven anyway. They even state that their shittiest heaven tier is still the most awesome place you can think of, plus you still get the option to upgrade after you die so they don't even have that leverage.

Only if they're converting agnostics and atheists. If you're converting another monotheist, the Mormon intro pitch is: "Hell isn't a big deal anyway, so stop freaking out and love God with us. I mean, you already love God, so come do it our way."

I think the pitch for atheists and agnostics is the same in most religions and mostly amounts to: "your life of sin left you a friendless and familyless drug addict, try this instead."

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I'm not really into metal, but I'd go see Killary Clinton live if the cover was 10 bucks or less.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mike-o posted:

I said yut yut (in the butt), I said yut yut (in the butt). You wanna yut in my butt? (In my butt). Let's yut in my butt, o-kay

I said yut yut (I said yut yut)
I said yut yut in the butt (I said yut yut in the butt)
You-ou wanna yu-uht in my bu-uht? (You-ou wanna yu-uht in my bu-uht?)
In my bu-uht? (In my bu-uht?)
Lets yut yut in my butt. (Lets yut yut in my butt.)
Oorah. (Oorah!)
O-kay. (O-kay!)
Semper fah. (Sempter fah!)

Do Marines still do cadence after basic?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Godholio posted:

Composition isn't really the problem; not like that, anyway. The problem is that blowing it up doesn't actually help. Whether you have 1 million ton block hitting the atmosphere or a million 1-ton blocks hitting the atmosphere at a given speed, the energy dissipation is basically the same and everything gets cooked. Energy is energy, and it doesn't matter how it's packaged as matter.

Doesn't heating from atmospheric compression operate against the surface area of the object entering the atmosphere? Surface area is a square of size and mass (because it's proportional to volume) is cubic, meaning that breaking a high mass object into multiple smaller mass objects brings those ratios closer together. We observe that when those ratios are small, objects are disintegrated during reentry, so why aren't a million 1-ton blocks better?

Is the risk less impact with the earth and more of energy imparted to the atmosphere/earth as a whole?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
That mostly makes sense, but my unsubstantiated intuition is that at some distance, even just 1000 miles from Earth, even at relatively small amounts of force, if you apply that force in a manner that affects different parts of the space rock with different magnitudes and directions (aka a direct hit), then the lateral distance the resultant parts of the space rock would be significant, as a fraction of a degree of an angle would be relatively huge.

I would think the following categories of potential impacts exist:

Mass low enough to cause little effect
Mass large enough to cause harmful effect but not catastrophic effect
Mass large enough to cause harmful effect

Once you forcefully deaggregate our doomsday rock, I think you shift that rock up a bit on the above scale, and so while there are scenarios where the rock is so large that it doesn't matter, there exists some number of scenarios where the action of shooting the rock has beneficial effect.

And this, Congress, is why I propose a space railgun over a space laser!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What a bunch of loving quitters. Some objects in space are too big to blow up. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to let that fact get between me and interplanetary nukes. :911:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

quote:

Yet each American would have to eat an extra 3 pounds of cheese this year, on top of the 36 pounds we already consume per capita, to eliminate the big yellow mountain.

I'm doing my part. Are you?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Corned beef hash with over easy eggs on top so when you like em, the egg mixes with the hot sauce you doused them in and then mixes with the potatoes and beef and spices.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Sasebo had the mega muffin, a sausage mcmuffin double stacked like a Big Mac with bacon as well. Tied with colors and shotguns as the most American things on that base.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Soulex posted:

Nope. It's not like I went 30 odd years in my life, saw your post and was like "maybe that's the answer.

That's like saying I wanted it because I dressed for it.

Is he so wrong? Is that not a probable cause? The other obvious likely causes seem to me to be either poor preparation during an early exposure or a complete lack of early exposure to eggs that would make you rebel against millions of years of evolution that has influenced our species to enjoy the nutrient rich ovae of other creatures. I mean sure, he didn't really do enough research to confidently assign the word 'probably' in a statistically meaningful application of that word--there are other hypotheses that were likely not considered, such as some other exceptional and influential incident had turned you away from eggs (force feeding perhaps?), supernatural causes, or that maybe an unusual amount of your social identity seems to be tied to this particular facet of your tastes.

I don't think there was malice behind his statement, nor do I think it's comparable to rape apology. I think he used anecdotal evidence (his own experience of personal taste expanding once he learned certain methods of preparation) to make what could be perceived as a statistical statement backed up by research, but also one that I think most readers would have interpreted as non-research based given its adjacency to the source anecdote.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think I read somewhere that French people drink more whiskey per capita than anyone else in the world which was totally unexpected. Brandy sure, but the most whiskey was surprising.

People give the French a lot of poo poo, but if you add up hard drinking, smoking and fatty food consumption, statistically they shouldn't be surviving past 35.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
SS-Oberschütze

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

hogmartin posted:

If you haven't showered with Dr. Bronner's liquid peppermint soap and then dried off and doused your junk/rear end with Gold Bond, you're truly missing out on what it feels like to slip the surly bonds of earth to teabag a snowman.

This is more for a Lets talk about Geniuses thread, but convenience stores in Japan sell these menthylated body wipes called 'Gatsby Wipes' and some either old coveralls came with the pockets cut out or the guys would cut the pockets out. Start falling asleep on watch? Just reach on in and give a cool rub down fore and aft to perk up on watch.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
When you're looking at a five man Mexican standoff, pointing the weapon at yourself might be the only way to break it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Ones I liked to play on new cadets or brand new deckhands on freighters was send them to pick up some weird thing (Radar scanner lube, a box of ARPA targets, the divider sharpening stone, a bucket of cold steam, whatever), but have it set up so whoever I was sending them to would send them on another wild-goose chase.

If you had a good crew and planned ahead some, you could have them searching the entire ship and meeting everyone onboard before they realized they were being pranked.

It would be pretty cool to arrange a check in sheet and wild goose chase so that they get done simultaneously.

Then again check in sheets should be classified as hazing. Thank God you made a system for me to show up at places to make someone's job easier only to have to stand around for thirty minutes and come back next Wednesday for the loving honor of pissing in a bottle. The first lesson is the truest.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The following brightened my Quarterdeck watch the other day; made me think of this conversation.

William Tecumseh Sherman posted:

In crossing the equator we had the usual visit of Neptune and his wife, who, with a large razor and a bucket of soapsuds, came over the sides and shaved some of the greenhorns; but naval etiquette exempted the officers, and Neptune was not permitted to come aft of the mizzen-mast.

'Hey LT, some weird poo poo is going to happen tonight, just stay in your cabin I don't feel like explaining it.'

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Iron Rose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06aRQ-ejqmU

whoever says you can't combine guns and alcohol

ISIS

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wibla posted:

Who hasn't? :v:

I've never spilled his seed.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bulletsponge13 posted:

Coming home on midtour, I had a can of raviolis in my bag- I've been in the Army enough to know that they will gently caress up your travel, and leave you without poo poo. It gets picked up by the scanner. I explain, they say I can't touch my bag. "You can throw them away. That's fine."
"I can't touch your bag, Sir."
This discussion went on for about a minute or two before I told him, "I'm taking my bag and leaving to catch my flight. You can't stop me, and I don't see anyone around who can. One of us needs to throw it away."

I lost my raviolis that day. That was also the day I decided that I am going to make them touch my balls every time I fly.

I assumed this couldn't be the pasta dish, so I checked urban dictionary for raviolis and I don't think it's that either.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Proud Christian Mom posted:

so the dog is a piece of poo poo too

I can't suspend my disbelief sufficiently.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
"Does anyone want to explain to me how the hell a cadet dislocated his jaw while running!?"
- An Air Force General

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
http://dd-b.net/dd-b/misc/strooper-federal-service.html

The above article I found while searching for a quote explains that Heinlein, outside of and many years after the work, claimed that 95% of service was non-military, but makes a good case that the book was not written in this way.

I recall Heinlein's opinions on governments seeming to swing all over the place during his 50 years of writing.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Supposedly he also wrote it in response to cessation of American nuclear testing and the ramp up of Soviet nuclear testing. Is that the spark because he thinks that's where humanity goes if Soviets or the Chinese 'win'? Is he trying to describe why they didn't stop just because we did? Or, is it the spark because he thinks that is how the survivors of a destructive third world war would self organize when the organizers blame civilian policies for not preventing that war?

The 'other' in the book isn't convenient at all and Heinlein was familiar enough with scifi tropes to not humanize the aliens if that was the goal. Instead, he humanizes the aliens in a way that appeals to the reader without appealing to characters in the society illustrated in the book.

I think people want to turn a book into a two sentence description and condemn that, which seems very political. It feels easier to do here because the subject is political, but if ideas were that simple, we wouldn't need novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
There's a cheap e-book/print-to-order cash-in for the forumer with a journalism/copyright-law background, some time, and a standardized copyright form.

I'd put a copy on the shelf.