Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Plenty of stupid things happen subs, but since we're hidden from the world the amount of poo poo we can get away with is staggering. I can't really say much about this, but we once had to cut a bouy off of the sail. We got so up in another countires grill that we had to surface, at night with no lights on, send a couple of divers up, and physically cut the ropes that were tangled around the sail off. Keep in mind, this was not in friendly water. Punishment for the OOD? :lol: no, that would require us to admit where we were/what happened.

We had our old nav leave out TS information. We violated reactor safety (resulting in the CO, ENG, and several divisional chiefs getting fired). An entire working party fell overboard, because they tried to grab each other one after another to save each other, forming a human domino chain (loving hilarious to watch). Our COB got so blasted in a foreign port that he was kicked out of a bar by another e-9, went back to the boat and pissed his rack. Electrical generators got blown up because leads weren't reinstalled. 3" pipe threads were completely sheared off when reverse threaded fittings were rotated counter clockwise to remove them (required 6 feet of cheater bar). A guy once demonstrated that he could fit the loop of a masterlock through his cock piercing, only to have his "friend" steal the key and run off, leaving Mr. Lockcock stuck in the TR on watch for 5 more hours.

Ah, subfleet:allears:

Snowdens Secret posted:

We had a guy get caught blazing the reactor pre-startup valve lineup (I forget the formal name.) This is a Big Deal. He ended up getting caught because he hadn't even remembered to fake the radiological contamination surveys required as a consequence of the lineup (you open things up that might be contaminated in order to see valves.) This loses him a chevron but mysteriously does not get him de-nuked.

The entire department is up forward at department-level training, in port, which means the only people in the engine room are the shutdown reactor operator and the engine room roving watch. This guy is standing roving watch. Naval Reactors decides to pay a visit, walks past the department training in progress, and finds this guy at the M-Div workbench, playing Freecell on the laptop. He may or may not have tried to claim he wasn't on watch. That got him de-nuked.

op2 oh god why do i still remember this i was trying to foget:cry:

Hekk posted:

My favorite is the nuke story. I got about half a sentence in before I realized that Debel Dawgs have absolutely no idea what the gently caress squids are yapping about. The saddest thing is that I don't think there were any acronyms in the post.

I know all of the military is bad about TLAs, but there is literally an acronym in the navy, where one of the letters is another acronym (SPMIG: Standard PMS MAterial Identification Guide, PMS: Planned Maintenance System), and once you get into nuke stuff you can have entire conversations that are nothing but tech/procedure references.

grumplestiltzkin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

movax posted:

At least they're not making it out into the fleet

hahahaha no. Reread my previous post, the nuke fleet is full of dumbfucks. Its just that you get a bunch of really really smart dumbfucks together, and they work out ways to cover up their dumbfuckery.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

I had that happen to me in guam. Ended up having to tell some MAC "unless you want me to turn my car off and roll to a stop in front of the gate, and risk running over your guys because I have no control over my car, the lights are gonna be on." They let me on, but I got a firm :chiefsay: about how I needed to show respect when talking to chiefs.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

KetTarma posted:

"Shipmate, what would Admiral Rickover think?"

gently caress. You.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Martello posted:

Holy poo poo dude, that makes the horrible commander I've mentioned before (the one Kaliber served under too) sound like Captain America in comparison.

This is my favorite, because it pisses me off more than any other stupid thing a commander can do in garrison. For gently caress's sake, let your guys go loving home to their motherfucking families! There's almost never anything important enough to keep dudes past 1700 if you aren't in the field. Holy loving poo poo that kind of bullshit makes me mad. It's always a stupid loving CPT with a huge ego trip who needs to be at the company AT ALL TIMES to feel important, or an rear end in a top hat who doesn't get along with his wife.

:chiefsay:SHIPMATE, this ship isn't going to repair itself! And since we spent all day doing training and loving ourselves in the rear end with admin, we obviously can't start putting wrenches on nuts until 1600 at the earliest shipmate!:chiefsay:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take a rape shower.

fakeedit: the key to pissing off chiefs is to begin and end any sentence adressed to them with shipmate. My cob got on a big "SHIPMATE IS A TERM OF HONOR" kick once he realized we all hated it. Spent a week calling him shipmate, and he just hate glared me every time I did it. :v:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

I had a buddy of mine get hospitalized on Bastion with a concussion after an IED strike. While he was laid up in bed, still concussed, our platoon sergeant(who never went on convoys with us, for the record. Not once.) went to see him so he could NJP him for losing his NVGs during said IED strike. Lost a stripe for it. But he got a PH!

...I swear to god, this angers me more than anything military related ever has. The dude got blown up and he got loving njp'd for it?!

Please tell me this is a fakepost. Lie to me if you have to.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

I would read the poo poo out of that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Professor Bling posted:

Dear god I hope not :getin:

thats what she said