Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

what are you carrying around all the time where pockets aren't good enough

School stuff, laptop. Travel. I don't carry a bag unless I'm doing one of the former. Think of all the other vets at school wearing assault packs and military themed MMA shirts as the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

A proper shitbag thing to do in this situation is to hide the plates in the woods somewhere so there is plausible deniability.

Someone got caught with a DAGR (either he tried to steal it or left it in an assault bag on accident) in the barracks right before they were about to do a squadron-wide shakedown to find it... because he tried leaping off the second story balcony with it to try and hide it and got hurt. Pretty sure it happened right as everyone was going to formation so a shitload of people saw. What makes these people think some hairbrained plot to wash your hands of the evidence will result in an easier time than just going "hey, I forgot I left it in my assault bag, honest mistake, here it is" and letting everyone go home?

As an aside, are there really such things as "training plates"? I only ever used the regular green plates but from what others tell me there are some thick-rear end black plates that aren't actually bullet proof.

I'd never seen green plates until I went to CIF at CRC. AFAIK, green are ESAPI and can stop more threats than the older black ones.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Bootchat? I picked up a pair of these this week: http://uspatriottactical.com/nike-sfb-field-ar670-1-compliant-army-tactical-boot-desert-tan/

Not as comfortable as my beloved synthetic leather New Balance boots but pretty excellent given that people are starting to care about boots being 670-1 compliant.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

New Balance/OTB Desert Lites were basically running shoes (They weigh marginally more than some Asics GT-2xxx running shoes) that looked like boots yet were still somehow very durable. It's really a shame they're discontinued.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Phanatic posted:

"Maj. Gen. Darrell K. Williams, commanding general, CASCOM and Fort Lee, fires his 9mm semi-automatic pistol during qualifications today at the installation range complex. Williams joined a handful of Soldiers who fulfilled their yearly weapons qualification at the facility."

Goddamn, failure on everyone else around him for letting him shoot a handgun in such a hosed up manner.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Less idiot, more human shaped pile of festering sewage :barf:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/18/texas-man-accused-of-prostituting-4-year-old-girl-on-craigslist/

This dude was briefly in my S-2 section as an MI 2LT. The worst part is he seemed like a normal person when I dealt with him, except the whole concealing his double life as an absolute monster thing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wut? Pads and harness get tossed in the trash. Someone buttfucked you.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I like the 3rd Award CIB and second award CMB. So basically he'd have to have done Vietnam, Grenada?, Panama as infantry, then Desert Storm and OIF/OEF as a medic and also joined the Air Force at some point.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Came across this: https://captainincarcerated.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/surreal/

quote:

Today I glanced over at a table in the chow hall and sitting there together were two of the more well-known inmates: Manning and Sgt. Bales (and a mysterious third party).

:stare:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

People keep saying this but I had dominoes like a week ago at work and it was still garbage-tier pizza

If you do the crust/sauce options right it's pretty dammed OK for a cheap as gently caress pizza.

quote:

granted my go-to is Imos because St. Louis Style owns

This is a bad opinion. Literally the velveta cheese of pizzas.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:effort: I can order a pizza with my watch.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Redeye Flight posted:

Drug use in the Third Reich was pretty drat epidemic, yeah. They were selling boxed chocolates laced with a meth variant before the war. Hitler himself was definitely on a shitload of drugs by the end of the war, too, despite being a loudly avowed teetotaler and vegetarian.

Even when they weren't using straight up hard drugs they were still on way more doses of all kinds of poo poo than we'd consider healthy today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scho-Ka-Kola

What, that Scho-Ka-Kola sounds amazing. How many mg of caffeine per piece are we talking?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Interesting. I'll definitely try and find some while I'm in Germany.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

St. Louis style is awful. Imo's is just a cracker with little bit of sauce and provolone on it. Toasted ravioli, on the other hand, are great.

Square cut thin crust is great. It's common in Midwestern cities, but only St. Louis uses weird rear end fake cheese; it's not even Provalone, but some Velveta-like poo poo called Provel.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Provel.jpg

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Derek Dominoe posted:

This is all true, and I never understood the St Louis love affair with Imo's. However, they have possibly the best Chicago-style pizza at Pi. At least the best outside of Chicago.

Imo's basically is Chicago style thin crust except the Chicago and Milwaukee areas (dunno where else this style is common) use real cheese.

:science: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/01/a-list-of-regional-pizza-styles-slideshow.html#show-85735

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 21, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The newer Nikes or Rocky S2V own.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The leather ones are in-regs as far as I can tell and really don't look weird at all.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Superfeet insoles are the poo poo, most aren't super xl turbo gel cushioned but they're incredibly supportive. Those plus the newer leather Nikes got me through an unholy number of miles because Light Infantry™.

Yeah, I wear Superfeet in all of my shoes. They're amazing and last forever.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

You guys sound like TCC over booze. Like seriously some of your posts sounds just like the loving Jooze thread. Get help.

"Nah my dude that psychologist doesn't know what they're talking about, I've blacked out every week through my twenties and I'm fine! It's the ARMY that hosed me up! Does anyone know where I can score more booze?"

:allears:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's almost as if we shouldn't have zero tolerance for people screwing up.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I learned two spaces as a kid but changed over time to one space. Although my high school in the late 90s still taught us electric typewriters alongside typing on modern PCs.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

VI or PR ARNG?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

LostCosmonaut posted:

Some people must like temps like that, I applied for a couple jobs at Poker Flat after college but didn't get any offers.

Upstate NY is decent enough for cold, think the coldest it got last winter was -15 which wasn't too bad. One of my friends from work wants me to go with him skiing on Mt. Washington in February, if I do that I'll know more about my tolerance for cold (or become material for this thread).

Edit: the wind chill got down to -40 once at USAFA while I was there, which kind of blew.

TBH 10 degrees to probably -20 doesn't feel all that different, layer right and you can walk around feeling completely comfortable as long as it's calm; it's the wind that is murder at those temps.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

Has anybody told him that literally nothing will happen to him if he doesn't ship?

Maybe JAG types can chime in, but that might not be quite true with the Guard. Obviously the DD statement is a stupid and blatant lie, but on the other hand as soon as you swear in you're effectively assigned to your Guard unit.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 8, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Memento posted:

This is exactly 100% why I joined the reserves

The ad campaign was like "one weekend a month, two weeks a year, tax-free pay" and that was the god damned pure truth.

You say that but I had about 3 years worth of actually wearing the uniform in 6 years as a reservist, plus that's not counting other time wasted in a non-duty status doing online training or stuff for subordinates between drill weekends. Depending on the branch/unit 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year is the absolute bare minimum.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 28, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What the gently caress is wrong with our overall male culture. :wtc:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cenen posted:

It’s the same unit as last time so now it’s super sketchy. The first guy did it with an m-4 in his mouth set to burst. The Dr who went up to declare it has been to Afghanistan a few times and pulled a ton of trauma call back in the U.S and he said it was still one of the worst things he’d ever seen.

That's horrible. :smith:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Why are your wife's parents dictating your choice of living conditions?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:barf:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The article I saw said Bad Conduct. Dude got off light.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

vains posted:

he hasn't been convicted of anything because they just started the investigation last week.

https://www.propublica.org/article/marines-open-investigation-into-active-duty-white-supremacist

to get a bcd, you need at least a special court martial to be convened. if he has already been discharged, then it was administratively.

I'm not talking about that racist dipshit Marine:

Grem posted:

So that video of the humvees eating poo poo during an airdrop was apparently the result of sabotage by a dude who was just found guilty of cutting the parachute cords.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ontent=20180511

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

When I was about to leave bootcamp there was a kid there with thick rear end dreads that I guess they couldn't figure out how to cut with clippers so this guy walking around with a massive amount of dreads and his cover just sitting on top a good half foot off his head.

I don't know what happened but I bet he hated life for a few days. I mean bootcamp stories are dumb but seeing a dude walking around in uniform with dreadlocks was pretty funny

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How are people this stupid that they think they'd get away with that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress I killed a bunch of drain babies while in uniform...

:whitewater:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Flikken posted:

poo poo, there are unpaid cops in Ohio.

Volunteer reserves aren't that uncommon. Or are you talking about something else?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

CainFortea posted:

I went to bootcamp with a 30 something year old ex-navy EOD. He got tired of the Navy and split. After 2 years out he was done with civilian life but hated the Navy so he joined the Marines. He didn't even try to get any kind of meritorious promotion or anything because he was going to get a bump up to E-6 (Or E-5, can't remember exactly) after MOS school. So he graduated as a private with no rank on his arms but a more impressive fruit salad than half the Drill Instructors.

lol how the gently caress do you transfer services and come in as an E-1. Why would you ever sign up for that? There were ex AF/Navy E-5s in my Army BCT/AIT who wore their NCO rank the whole time.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It'd be really funny to see a prior service DS go back to BCT as an E-3/E-4 wearing a DS badge. That'd probably be among the greatest Army moments.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

lol wut. He had to have had some sort of mental breakdown.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

There's currently a debate going on between departments at a base that will not be named over safety in some of the range areas. Most of the O-4s through O-6s are making the case that because it's not a live drop area, landing helos, operating UASes, and driving trucks around is no big deal. The guys who would actually be driving said trucks are, for some reason, hung up on the fact that the whole area was a live drop area from roughly 1940-1980. Leadership's response: "But it's not a live drop area!"

I'm just waiting to read THAT news article.

I mean Germany is still inhabitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

not caring here posted:

I'm sure I've heard that Google fi works in Kuwait. No idea if it works in your particular area though.

When I was there T-Mobile did with their free international roaming.