Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Christ dude I dont know you could extract all the good ones

Yeah, let's comb through the SA archives to remove offensive material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm hoping it's this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My AF computer takes almost two minutes to boot and become useful. Unless I'm trying to load anything via the internet, then basic webpage load times range from 5 seconds to 3 minutes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tythas posted:

I can tell you right now that it's because of the type of McAfee the AF\Gov't uses

That's actually what I figured.

maffew buildings posted:

My Navy computer takes significantly longer than 2 minutes. This is on me for being in, though

NMCI is absolutely stunning at how lovely everything they touch is. I can't imagine there being a single agency worse at it. They are the Pakleds of computers. Edit: Sorry crabman

LingcodKilla posted:

I work directly for NMCI and my company machine for home (that i literally never use) works well. HOWEVER my office only has a NIPR connection and I have to use a NMCI Navy machine for work. Every morning I waste over an hour restarting for updates before i can i can check my email. We beg for new machines but most likely it's the loving image.

The best thing is how new computers are imaged off old computers. :downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Our systems are so secure even we can't use them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Ah, that's likely the Navy loving up their packaging. I remember when I was in USAF, they broke an update that caused it to crash the Nvidia drivers over, and over on reboot.

Because what's QA and UAT testing? gently caress it, we'll do it in prod.

Concurrent development: Good enough for the F-35, good enough for a million+ workstations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm just not in the mood to reinstall. Saving it for later though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

On the plus side, maybe they'll dredge up an ancient Roman or Carthaginian ship or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Environmental system failure, chem/bio attack, Soviet sleeper cell attack, hippies...

maffew buildings posted:

I was surprised to learn that nuke anti aircraft missiles were a thing but I guess the motto of the era was "take weapon, now add nuclear payload"

Missiles were also very inaccurate, so having a boom big enough to take down a formation of bombers was relatively logical.

The most ridiculous nuke idea remains Project Pluto.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 10, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

我的媽和她的瘋狂的外甥都

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Coasterphreak posted:

DUI means you blew over .08.

DWI means they can't prove you were hosed up but your rear end couldn't pass a field sobriety test, even if it was just because you worked 24 hours straight and were exhausted.

The name (and whether they're different charges) varies from state to state, but you can get dinged for being over the limit OR being intoxicated even if you're below the limit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The American civil war was a total clusterfuck. Using 50 year old tactics against pretty much modern weapons and basically just making it up as it went along.

There’s an account of a Prussian officer who came to observe and advise the Union and was horrified how far behind the US was and how much needless causalities both sides were taking since there was virtually no proper use of light infantry or calvary on top of the already poor leadership on all sides so battles would just drag on and on and turn into meat grinders.

Quite a few of those observers were there because they knew they'd be in the same situation. Europe was very interested in the ACW.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cenen posted:

Ok I take it back the only thing the brits didn’t gently caress up was having a decent bar in Qatar. The only time they weren’t whiny asses was when they were drinking.

Almost every favorite story about working with the Brits involve their bars or them having beer flown in.

Mine is about one of their expats yelling at an Emirati colonel in an exercise debrief to the point that the colonel sat the hell down and was actually not allowed to fly the rest of the exercise.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Multiple training rule violations, including busting airspace, unsafe approaches on other aircraft, trying to shout down the debriefer when it was being shown on the big screen in front of everyone, and yelling at me for responding to his requests for information correctly during the mission, which was not the answer he wanted. The gist of it is that he wanted me to call an adversary "hostile" which would let him "shoot" his missile, but that adversary was merged (think Top Gun gunfight) with a friendly which means I have to call it a "furball" because on that system there's no way to accurately tell which is the adversary and which is the friendly. He tried 4 or 5 times to get me to declare it hostile, but gently caress that. If I call it hostile and he shoots the wrong dude, we both go to jail.

I don't know who that Brit was, but he was in civvies and was fed up with the colonel's poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

"A sense of humor" really kind of stood out in there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

pkells posted:

I’m TDY with some Canadian Air Force guys, and it’s been fun talking to them about how they can now grow beards in uniform and smoke weed off duty.

I’m currently looking up how difficult it is to get Canadian citizenship.

One of my officer AWACS buddies switched flags, so it's definitely doable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

is you printing merch for a criminal fukkin conspiracy?

I hope that kid gets DFSed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CainFortea posted:

Considering the massive budget cuts to any military spending right after WWII that continued right up to Korea, i'm fairly certain any system for us to fight in irradiated areas was "put on gas mask, you'll be fine" and then not paying out benefits later when their arms fall off.

Edit: When I put it that way it sounds a lot like today so who knows.

You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't know what kind of doses they'd get from that, but that was definitely a common activity. One of my bars of choice is Atomic Liquors on Fremont, which gets its name from people sitting on the roof to watch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

As an aside: is it actually remarkable that it was carrying live ammunition? Do they usually fly without?

Yes. Usually CONUS flights are for training, so maybe they have fake missiles, maybe they have inert bombs, maybe they have nothing. They usually don't carry lives unless they're on a mission. I'm guessing this was a homeland defense mission or an alert jet that launched. Or it could've been a test/training mission with live weapons, but that's pretty rare and I don't think it happens in that part of the country. There are special ranges for that.

Edit: And pilots should absolutely know what's loaded on their loving jets. Just as the B-52 crew that accidentally carried nukes across the loving country a decade ago, because they half-assed their pre-flight.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nystral posted:

So assuming the nukes had to be brought back, who gets stuck with coordinating the logistics of securing the devices and bringing them back? Who has to foot the bill for the fuel and overtime for the crew manning the return trip? Is there even overtime for stuff like this? Time off in lieu of payment?

Wishful thinking by a civvie?

Completely wishful thinking, the people responsible for cleaning up the mess were the ones off-shift when it all happened because everyone who was working got hosed and rightfully so. No overtime or comp time. Comp time is what your boss might offer you if you come in on a holiday you were supposed to have off, if he's cool and and if he's REALLY cool you'll actually get it. Overtime does not exist.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jesus.

It's going exactly as it loving should, but drat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know who came up with it but I loving love it and have used it since.

Things have been so much different since I got my hip repaired. Yeah, it aches sometimes still, but holy poo poo everything is better.

I think I missed that update, glad they got it sorted.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: ^ :stare: :catstare:

Casimir Radon posted:

CE at the Deid had "Make the Deid Great Again" scrawled on poo poo all over the place, sometimes with Donnie's ugly bloated face. I didn't think it was worthwhile getting caught vandalizing a T barrier so I just ignored them for the most part.

Oh, so they're going to let the cadillacs go to hell again?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's the perfect response. JFC.

Edit: Banned for life because I lived in England for a while.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nystral posted:

The security theater is for boomers who don’t fly often, they vote and feel “safer” having long rear end lines for security at the airport.

Boomers are hardly the only generation pushing for dependency upon the gov't for "safety."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well you see he did exceptionally well on his PT test, read to children at a hospital once, and is known for punctuality and enforcement of uniform standards.

Rockopolis posted:

"We can't stop here, this is ba'ath country!"?

Sixteen years! It took sixteen years for this masterpiece!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

This still doesnt make sense to me. Why is boarding first a status thing? A high status should mean you get to be the one that spends the least amount of time on onboarding, last on/first off. I wait as long as I can before I get on the plane whether I'm flying coach or business cause gently caress sitting on a plane when I dont have to. Plus, it would be faster to board the people at the back of the plane first, instead of having everyone jammed in the aisles.

You're guaranteed to have room for your stuff in the overhead if you want, and on some airlines you don't have assigned seating. Plus the obvious "not waiting in line so long."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You've never heard of Southwest? It's a common thing on cheaper airlines.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh my god he paid SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for a 2003 Crown Vic in 2016. And financed it through the dealer.

Edit:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 7, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dick Burglar posted:

It's a poo poo format, but it's weird for Olds to be saying they can't follow it, since it is basically the same design as old-rear end nested bulletin boards from the mid-90s.

Which were trash even then.

All the old school webrings used that awful format, and it's why php wiped them off the planet overnight.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Is there a public breakdown of how many people are in each AFSC?

Air Force Magazine publishes it annually.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean if you don't invade their country you don't get hit with rocks. Bing bong.

I need to put a grenade launcher on my windshield.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LonsomeSon posted:

Just looking at that video and trying to imagine fighting a tank while on foot is giving me heartburn.

Just drop a grenade down the barrel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

he snuck into the morgue and made a cast of the body, then left concrete replicas of it around the camp to haunt them.

This is actually my favorite line from a really loving strong page in the idiot thread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That name rotates among different places in town, based on the uh...the crowd.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Boomers was my first guess, but really it could be anywhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shovelbum posted:

I'll never understand musclebound big dick bar fight culture in a country where everyone and their mother is carrying a gun

Turns out most gun owners aren't actually looking to use it. And it's illegal in most states to carry in a bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I agree with him though.