Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

None of the guys in my guard unit ever got popped for weed.

Just Meth and Cocaine. I never got it because the dude who got popped for cocaine worked at Target, like you don't make cocaine money at Target when you work the floor.

The guy who got popped for meth was a "UFC fighter" who would do amateur fights. He also filled up his entire camelbak at annual training with orange juice which I think subsequently led to battalion urinalysis at 0400 like 24 hours later lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stultus Maximus posted:

Where were you stationed that had good rocks?

There's good rocks everywhere my friend, you just gotta look!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
New contender for boot.jpg

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

New contender for boot.jpg

Lol
I had a guy in my dept in the navy that had a rig like that; every other week the axle would literally snap from the force exerted by the momentum of the tractor tires i guess. He got rid of it after a month or two. His gramma gave him a hummer instead. His exact words were “My gramma gave me a hummer guys!” (Smug smile on his face) My re: “she take her teeth out first?” (Sad face on his face)

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Oh man if they’d let me smoke pot id be back in tomorrow.

I’m TDY with some Canadian Air Force guys, and it’s been fun talking to them about how they can now grow beards in uniform and smoke weed off duty.

I’m currently looking up how difficult it is to get Canadian citizenship.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
As far as I know the Royal Navy has never tried to ban beards, probably because most of their famous commanders had them. They can make you shave it off if you can only grow chin pubes, however.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I like how their rule isn't "no beards" it's "only if you don't gently caress it up like a bitch"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Royal Australian Navy will let you grow a beard but it has to be a full beard, you can't just grow a moustache.

You have to get the approval of your CO though, so bumfluff and chinpubes will probably be denied.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Memento posted:

Royal Australian Navy will let you grow a beard but it has to be a full beard, you can't just grow a moustache.

You have to get the approval of your CO though, so bumfluff and chinpubes will probably be denied.

As it should be :colbert:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

us forces allow beards, you just gotta marry them

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Doc Hawkins posted:

:vince:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

pkells posted:

I’m TDY with some Canadian Air Force guys, and it’s been fun talking to them about how they can now grow beards in uniform and smoke weed off duty.

I’m currently looking up how difficult it is to get Canadian citizenship.

One of my officer AWACS buddies switched flags, so it's definitely doable.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

:drat:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It takes a few years, like you have to have residence in Canada for 3 or 4 years plus learn French to a passable level for the citizenship test, but it's very possible. Also you have to know French to a minimum of 2/2+ just to work for their government, with a 1 year probation before you have to know it at a 3/3+ level.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nice and hot piss posted:

None of the guys in my guard unit ever got popped for weed.

Just Meth and Cocaine. I never got it because the dude who got popped for cocaine worked at Target, like you don't make cocaine money at Target when you work the floor.

The guy who got popped for meth was a "UFC fighter" who would do amateur fights. He also filled up his entire camelbak at annual training with orange juice which I think subsequently led to battalion urinalysis at 0400 like 24 hours later lol.

coke is evidently big in construction which makes no sense to me

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

A Bad Poster posted:

Also you have to know French to a minimum of 2/2+ just to

Lol, and no one says about about this, but hey gently caress the US for wanting you to speak English primarily. Goddamn hypocrites everywhere. Not that this country isn't hosed up like a football bat, but I hate hypocrisy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

coke is evidently big in construction which makes no sense to me

It clears up your thoughts and makes you feel like working.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

PathAsc posted:

Lol, and no one says about about this, but hey gently caress the US for wanting you to speak English primarily. Goddamn hypocrites everywhere. Not that this country isn't hosed up like a football bat, but I hate hypocrisy.

In the Canadian example the French requirement is a relic of their colonial past and an attempt to honor a sizable minority population in their nation, though? It's meant to accommodate as many people as possible. The English only in America example on the other hand is meant to assimilate and/or exclude those who don't speak the dominant language.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

PathAsc posted:

It works both ways too. Every time I cross the border into Québec it's like going to another country. Mah dum Merican brain short circuited a little when I stopped at a Taco Bell there and not a word of the menu was in English. Luckily I am fluent in Taco Bell more than I am in French.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

BUG JUG posted:

In the Canadian example the French requirement is a relic of their colonial past and an attempt to honor a sizable minority population in their nation, though? It's meant to accommodate as many people as possible. The English only in America example on the other hand is meant to assimilate and/or exclude those who don't speak the dominant language.

Potato, potäto. Just because the reason is different that doesn't make it any more exclusionary. Keeping colonial poo poo is dumb, like Christian politics here. Relics are bad.

Content:

I had a student when I was in my moonlight tour. I instructed the whole class in MCMAP and he was excellent in both academics and training the whole time. Really a stellar Marine.

He went on to murder his wife when he joined the fleet and tried to flee back to 29 Palms, and I'm sure it was to come to me for help. He choked her out with his MCMAP belt.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Requiring basic language comprehension so the government employee can communicate with a large demographic of citizens is exclusionary.

Where is the Galaxy brain meme?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Canadian soldiers aren't required to be bilingual until you start hitting higher ranks, and "bilingual" is pretty generous with some of those folks, believe me.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

CainFortea posted:

Requiring basic language comprehension so the government employee can communicate with a large demographic of citizens is exclusionary.

Where is the Galaxy brain meme?

Couldn't the government just provide multiple translations of their communications? It certainly isn't that expensive to do so.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Couldn't the government just provide multiple translations of their communications? It certainly isn't that expensive to do so.

I guess that's an option. My post is more about the brain worms it takes to call a policy specifically engineered to be inclusive exclusive.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Defending restrictive requirements being cool and good is multiverse brain

That's "speaking Spanish in uniform makes your a traitor" levels of stupidity

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

CainFortea posted:

I guess that's an option. My post is more about the brain worms it takes to call a policy specifically engineered to be inclusive exclusive.

Inclusion would be paying for at will learning of another language for interested employees. Or, you know, using the actual paid interpreters. Not a blanket requirement then and is actually inclusive.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PathAsc posted:

Inclusion would be paying for at will learning of another language for interested employees. Or, you know, using the actual paid interpreters. Not a blanket requirement then and is actually inclusive.

No. Inclusion would be this. This is one option that is inclusive. No matter how you try to slice it, it's inclusive.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

PathAsc posted:

Defending restrictive requirements being cool and good is multiverse brain

That's "speaking Spanish in uniform makes your a traitor" levels of stupidity

If you want to work for the government of Canada knowing both of Canada's official languages is a reasonable requirement.

There's literally French language only election debates and they actually matter.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There’s no requirement to learn French to get Canadian citizenship.

You can get most entry level government job with either official languages. Yes, at some point, you need to be able to work in French. The government’s bilinguism tests are... dumb. If you can’t get bilinguism B/B you’re an idiot.

Now if you don’t speak English (eg you’re French only), you’re properly hosed outside of Quebec (and even then you’re probably hosed anyway).

And the government does publish everything in both languages.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My mother spoke terrible French and worked for the Canadian consulate. It was during that poo poo storm over people clubbing baby seals back in the 80s and she had to take a lot of phone calls and abuse over it. They gave her a seal statue for her service

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

That reminds me that there's a small exhibit at the National Museum of Nature about how cool and good clubbing seals is. There was a t-shirt in the case that said "Seal is the new black".

Edit: found the picture

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 11, 2019

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Goodpancakes posted:

They gave her a seal statue for her service

My neighbors are probably wondering what I'm cackling about.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Sealskin is a really good material, and can be harvested ethically and sustainably.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Sealskin is a really good material, and can be harvested ethically and sustainably.

You have to ask the seal very politely

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Just add it to your list of Canadian war crimes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Super Dave swore by it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
At no point at least in my career in the government am I required to learn French, and I say this as a Quebec Anglophone who lived 20 years in Quebec, was born in Quebec, lived my whole life here and never spoke a word of it despite living in Montreal for most of it.

Being bilingual does give you bonus pay in some positions. It might be different for government positions in Quebec or Manitoba with the Metis but definitely not in Ontario.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Raenir Salazar posted:

At no point at least in my career in the government am I required to learn French, and I say this as a Quebec Anglophone who lived 20 years in Quebec, was born in Quebec, lived my whole life here and never spoke a word of it despite living in Montreal for most of it.

Being bilingual does give you bonus pay in some positions. It might be different for government positions in Quebec or Manitoba with the Metis but definitely not in Ontario.

Montreal has that sweet spot of not needing a word of French to get by. And if you do speak French with an anglo accent you get spoken to back in English. Only the strippers play along.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
The time they made us lock up the key to the drugs.
On paper this sounds like a good idea but in practice someone would have had to have taken the keys from the always manned observation station, walked across the hospital without getting noticed, know this fridge had drugs in it (fridge may or may not have had its own lock I never hosed with it for obvious reasons), know this small lockbox has painkillers in it, and finally actually inject themselves with the right drug and not the paralytic agent and suffocate on the ground.
The remedy for this was to lock the lockbox that held the keys and place that key in plain sight in an eye level drawer all of three feet away from the lockbox.

The drug key was also next to the key to the patient snack fridge that was locked so people wouldn’t steal patient’s food so whenever a patient wanted a snack it involved a lot of awkwardly reaching over people to get the key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss