Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
While riding out to a DZ for a jump I was abruptly awoken by a loud slam, a huge swerve, and sparks shooting down the side of the bus. We pulled into the dirt parking area a few seconds later, and as we got off the bus someone pointed out that all of the glass around the door was shattered and the last steps were smashed in to pieces so we had to jump out. I was too tired to make any sense of it, so I found a spot to go back to sleep on the ground in the staging area.

One of our instructors walked up to the driver to find out what happened, and while he was listening pulled the entire front right tire off of its shattered hub. My instructor was a really quiet, polite, professional guy, and hardly raised his voice. Pretty rare in the Army.

The only part of the conversation I heard was my instructor yelling "are you loving stupid? What kind of deer blows a wheel off a bus, smashes in the windows and floor, and is polite enough to clean up his blood and guts before dieing?" Just short of our parking area is a small bridge with raised 2' concrete siding that this guy managed to drive right into at 50 mph, and not flip the bus.

I've done some things that I'd consider "dangerous" or "high risk" in my very short time in the military, and nothing terrifies me more then riding on military trans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005

brains posted:

there is a soldier in my class who was in the gulf war. he is legit like 50 years old. he is a corporal. how does this happen.

Did the gulf war as guard, or got out and back in? I've seen a few guys who had a break in service, and came from the marines so they have a dive bubble and halo wings as an E-4.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

You honestly sound like that guy who is a pain in the rear end to supervise. I genuinely hope people like you work for the FAA on the civilian side, because attention to detail in your line of work is far more important that being an "easy employee."

edit: Because this is SA I want to be clear that I'm not being sarcastic.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Martello posted:

He's actually been a pretty decent soldier since then. But seriously, why the gently caress do some kids do poo poo like that?

At the risk of sounding like a weirdo I think wearing things you don't earn is bad luck. I always figure the day you go out and buy that poo poo for your self is the day you fail out of whatever you're trying to get. Gotta stay hungry some how, even if its for a little piece of cloth you're just not "allowed to buy."

edit: That's some kool-aid drinking esprit de corps poo poo I just posted. Ugh.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Martello posted:

Just got back from JRTC. When we were doing our big stupid gay formation to get on the plane at Alexandria, there was a loving fatass SPC from BSTB (commo or some such) with a high n tight and a loving high school science teacher/child molester mustache. I informed all the dudes that there's a simple test to see if you should have a mustache.

Question 1. Are you Tom Selleck?

If yes, proceed.

If no, shave that loving poo poo off your lip and then smoke yourself.

Army staches are the absolute worst. I swear to god the guy who wrote had one of two things in mind: Its so loving ugly you will never wear one, or you'll have enough rank and look badass enough you can tell anyone to gently caress off.

Or the "corners of the mouth" were referring to laterally across your mouth line, not vertically.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

A single BCT has a fuckload of expensive equipment. The Army's enormous budget has to go somewhere. Even here in the Guard, I can think of several individual vehicles worth over a million each, not to mention individual equipment. I mean it's not F-22 dollars but I wouldn't be surprised if a brigade as a whole had over a billion dollars worth of stuff.

I've seen once where a command was too afraid to let their soldiers have the equipment for fear of losing it. "That trailer full of the latest and greatest equipment? Yeah its going to sit there getting inventoried every month. We wouldn't want anyone to lose any of it. And be ready to drop 2 or 3 guys a week to guard duty for it." Apparently "combat loss" isn't a buzzword used any more (not that I would know).

iceslice
May 20, 2005

not caring here posted:

M4 / M9 = gat
Patrol cap = hat
ACH = helmet
IOTV / IBA / plate carrier = body armor
Eyepro = glasses
Assault pack = backpack
LBV = vest

We always just put the word "Army" in front of the most simplistic description of the item to explain it away. Army hat, Army gun, Army glasses, or Army backpack. Everyone know exactly what you're talking about even if you don't.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Really, it sounds like some stupid kind of drill team. Instead of marching around they pretend to be "operators". :bustem: That's what I got out of it.

There is a documentary on Netflix about West Point in the (I think) early 2000s. They have a "Tactical Team" that is some sort of extra curricular activity run by a retired Ranger Batt. NCO. The few minutes they show on the video makes it look like its not a total joke. They probably shoot a lot, and do it on the government dollar. I probably would have been way more excited about college if I could have been able to do that after classes.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

My favorite is when grown rear end men care desperately about what the other dudes are wearing, with no intention of hitting on the other man.

I don't understand why people wear uniforms off post. You're just making your self a target for anyone who wants to take advantage of the military, or your family. This is especially true in airports or shopping malls. Grabbing lunch real fast and going back to work I understand, but driving to your home is dumb. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I won't be the one they go after so I'll never know if its true. Now I need to go update the ERB on the back of my truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Boot chat! Did my last deployment in 2 pair of Solomons. High ankle for when you do night ops in the mountains and need extra support. Low ankle when you know you're going to make contact and need to run fast. The idea of "combat boots" is an absolute joke.