Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ok here is a pretty good idiot story that was almost not an idiot story.

So on my sub there was a nuke who we will call Jason (because that was his name) who had a hot as hell wife. Since before I got to the boat she had been cheating on him with another nuke who we will call Brady (because that was his name). Now this went on for another 1 1/2 years or so and I figured since they never got divorced and the entire boat knew about it that Jason was ok with it or got off on it or whatever. Turns out he didn't, he was just biding his time.

Jason was about to go on terminal leave and was able to get out of going to sea with us because his leave would have started during our sea time. So while we are at sea he does his household goods packup were the dudes come in and pack up all your poo poo and send it to wherever you are getting out to. Only he doesn't pack up his own stuff, he has the guys go to Bradys barracks room and pack up all of HIS poo poo instead. Nice bit of revenge but there was a problem.

We had to come back into port 2 days early because something broke. Brady went to his barracks room to find Jason sleeping on Bradys bed (middle of the day btw) with all of his poo poo gone.

I don't know much about what happened after that but I do know he sat for a few months in the out-processing unit while waiting for a courts-martial.

If our poo poo had not broke he *might* have actually gotten away with it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

KetTarma posted:

I can't remember his name, much less where he was from.

In the nuclear community, going "sadpanda" means informing someone that you have suicidal thoughts. This immediately gets you removed from a duty status and usually permanently disqualifies you from nuclear duty. It is the fastest way to go "I quit!" and is commonly used by junior enlisted to inact an instantaneous transfer to another department that doesn't work 90 hour weeks.

I never met a single guy that dropped out of nuke school that regretted it. Especially after they had been on the boat and saw the poo poo the fleet nukes had to do.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mike-o posted:

Now I feel like a douche. I've got an "Afghanistan Vet" sticker on my truck, hang my infantry blue chord on my mirror, and wear my fleece cap when it's cold outside. I also will discuss crap about the army if someone asks me.

:negative:

Any time I get the weird urge to get anything 'vet' related I suddenly feel ill. This keeps me from ever doing it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
SHIPmating... like a chief.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

If you remember your asvab score then you have the saddest life possible.

I remember because my recruiter hosed it up and made it a 70 instead of 88 like it was supposed to be. Which I didn't find out till I got out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well guys if you read the article you will find out he is paying for his kids college and bills he racked up while living the high-life as an O-6.

One would think that someone who can get multiple degrees could plan a little bit ahead on things like that when they know they are going to retire.

edit : also I bet he is giving his wife a bunch of loving alimony.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

From where? And why the gently caress aren't his kids working on scholarships and loans? Or joining the army and making the same mistake a familial one.
[/quote]

I don't think it says were from.

quote:

After a 30-year military career in which he earned three graduate degrees, rose to the rank of colonel, and served as an aide to Pentagon brass, Robert Freniere can guess what people might say when they learn he's unemployed and lives out of his van:

Could be excelsior poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Crazy chicks give some awesome head tho.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

Today I did more pushups than usual and now my shoulder is sore.

And then I found a dollar.

When I got my second Typhoid II shot I forgot to do enough pushups to work it into my arm and it hurt bad the next day.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Cojawfee posted:

People probably get annoyed that their real stories get upstaged by fake stories.

If someone can tell a story like 50FA I don't give a drat if its only about 30% truth.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't get why people are convinced that they must be fake. This thread alone proves that either the entire armed forces of the world is full of major bullshitters, or the military is home to the dumbest idiots on the planet and they often manage to get away with it. The Stinky Samurai isn't really any more fantastic than most of the stuff that passes scrutiny with nary a glance, nor is the "I dropped my weapon to avoid dying and they tried to punish me for it".

I almost went to mast (did go to XOI) and would have lost rank & had restricted duty for telling a chief to gently caress off under my breath, he didn't even hear it but some hard charging first class did and wrote me up. So ya punishment can and does happen for some of the dumbest poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I'd like to see someall of the nobles here put to fire.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
He must be a brand new chief, hasn't written himself up for a few COMs yet.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
facebook is pretty much an idiot trap

its why so many people use it

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Bob A Feet posted:

I'm the idiot. 8 year contract.

I worked 13 hours each day this week.

everyone gets an 8 year contract

you're only really dumb if all of that time is active duty instead of half of it being IR

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
things i never had to deal with, other than off work, at medical, and 1 civilian contractor :

women

never in boot, never in sub school, never in a-school, never on the boat

i pity you poor fools

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Thump! posted:

People remember their ASVAB score? :psyduck:

fakeedit: People remember their highschool gpa!?! :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

93 wasn't that long ago

poo poo

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LCL-Dead posted:

There was a young gentleman enlisting with me who scored a 19 on his asvab and had to be waivered in.

2 days before we were supposed to go to meps to do the swear-in and paperwork train, he got caught boosting stereo's out of new cars at a dealership 2 blocks down from the recruiters office.

did he get a waiver for that too?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I went on leave once and the CPO Yeoman asked me to send him a postcard from home. So I sent him one that said "greetings from redlands!"

It was just a black postcard because there is not a drat thing to do there.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

theAcidQueen posted:

We had to replace a certain component on our Main Reduction Gear system this week, and we literally had about 4 or 5 Quality Assurance people from Navsea, as well as the MPA, Cheng, and CO, in Main One. I hold it on good authority that reduction gears are literally the most expensive thing on a warship.

They are so expensive that the Navy leases them.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Just some morons trying to feel important.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I was Jody for a marine while I was in hawaii. Dude walked in on us after we were finished, told me to leave, then fingerbanged her and tasted it when I was gone.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Frosted Flake posted:

So how bad are things going to be for submariners now that the Irish Terrorist Robot hosed them over?

I'm guessing there will be massive amounts of bullshit, but maybe cooler heads will prevail.

When it comes to subs, there is no such thing as 'cooler heads'

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A Man With A Plan posted:

Christ, are sub control rooms not considered a scif? Or are they, but with literally no enforcement of device policy?

Depends on what charts are on the plotter. No joke.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A Man With A Plan posted:

That's hilarious, in a kind of bureaucratic way

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Literally "please don't look in that direction if your aren't cleared"

Well they do put a curtain up around the plot table when they have the special ones out. And everyone on the boat has a minimum of a secret + codeword clearance.

This is for LA class boats I don't know about others, but I would guess the layout is pretty much the same since on Virginia boats they even shoved sonar into control :wtc:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Caconym posted:

I remember reading about that in the newspapers at the time.
One of the stories felt it was relevant to mention "bad weather and poor visibility in the area". I'm not a submariner, but I don't think surfance weather matters much for two submerged subs on deterrence patrols...

It depends on the depth of the sub.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mike-o posted:

Why do bible belt southerners always assume all soldiers are these loving christian warriors sent from god doing his work? The only religious dudes I knew were scrawny little weirdos who wouldn't even say anything close to a curse word, smoke or drink, and weren't even combat arms.

I went to one service during my time in. It was for a funeral/wake for the guy who ate his .45 on watch.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
eat the dead of those we kill in battle to take their power

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I have PTSD when I hear 60hz fans from my time as a sonar tech.

STS2(SS) ded

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

Fast attack guy takes selfies in reactor spaces and with plot table, sends to chief, is surprised by crushing fist of God falling upon him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3173842/U-S-sailor-charged-taking-photos-inside-nuclear-submarine.html

It's guys like this that make life even more poo poo for the guys still on them.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

Pffft. I remember film cameras from when I was a kid. That's sperg territory now.

Edit: Pretty sure this was my first camera. It didn't even use normal 35mm, it was some weird two-barreled cartridge thing that was impossible to accidentally expose when loading.

i had a camera similar to that, cept it had this giant rear end tower of 5 flashes that burned out after each flash use. same weird rear end film too.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Larry Parrish posted:

mg]http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/uploads/2015/8/18/gunphoto-0.jpg[/timg]

BAN ASSAULT PISTOLS

also, sweet hotlink bro

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
whats really cool is he made all the marine threads

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bang! bang bang! bang!

god drat i am glad i didnt go infantry

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wasabi the J posted:

Love being a nasty girl some days.

:chloe:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My dentist straight up told me he saves any gold fillings he has to remove for part of his retirement.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Sounds like the cops fault to me

We had a real moron on my boat by the name of Dahmer. He did all the typical piece of poo poo sailor activities like he was in a rush, but his coup de gras was deciding to fall asleep in a fanroom while working as messenger

How did he pull this off? To go into the fan room underway you need OOD permission and its very loud when you open the door and everyone can loving hear it.

edit : at least this is how it is on a 688 boat. if you're talking about a different boat I dunno the layout.

ded fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 13, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kawasaki Nun posted:

This was an Ohio class so there were a bunch of storage spaces that could be accessed without effecting the ventilation posture of the boat.

He didn't pull it off

Ah ok. On a 688 the fan room is directly behind control and everyone on that level can hear it when someone goes in.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Look at these chumps who have never been to Hawaii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Have to say not having to deal with any women at all 98% of the time I was in the Navy sure helped me to avoid any of that bullshit.