Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Godholio posted:

Oh man that would've been a fun conversation if it was one of my guys. "Now, explain to me the thought process that ended with: I know! I'll call her a oval office! That'll improve the situation!" I think I would have no choice but to use the word repeatedly throughout the counseling, just to make it as awkward as humanly possible.

We had a troop the squadron was trying to discharge when I got into the office. He had 11 LOCs/LOAs/LORs (mostly LOCs). Generally they were for dumb poo poo like being late all the time, missing appointments, etc; he made the same mistakes over and over. He never actually completed his training to become CMR (ie fully qualified aircrew). JAG threw out several of the letters, pointing out where the previous leadership had failed to dot the is and cross the ts perfectly enough, but offered to look over future letters to avoid that next timne...because they knew there would be a next time (they were right, he made it another 6 months or so). The best LOC, though, was for falling asleep in the bathroom. He had vanished for about two hours, and nobody knew where he was. His phone was in the office, and someone had called his name in the bathroom with no response, so they didn't think he was there. It wasn't until someone reported snoring in one of the stalls that they figured it out. I don't know how he didn't die of a blood clot.

We had someone do that where I work. An NCO kicked in the stall and pulled him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Godholio posted:

Yeah nobody else can keep track of all those names. If I'm ever in the situation where I need to address one I'll just call him shipmate or popeye or something.

I once called back a patient as Petty Officer First Class and he was all like, "Actually, it's HM2 :smug:" or something like that. The Navy has the most horrible rank system and insignias, followed very closely by the Marines who actively camoflague their ranks against their uniforms. What the hell?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

manchego posted:

bring a change of civilian clothes into work

Why should I have to take longer to leave work so that I can change into clothes just so that I don't upset the tender sensibilities of goons?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Why can't all higher ranking people be like this guy? And how much of it was overturned the second he was replaced?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I am also a fan of the Popeye's, but the one on Ramstein was closed because the chicken was being made by rats or something.

BUT as far as fried chicken in Germany goes, nothing beats Nick's Southern Fried Chicken. Tastes like early 90s KFC.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

polpot saved asia posted:

poo poo what about robin hood? best subs in the goddamn world (seriously if ft gordon can get quiznos in a shoppette there is no reason to have any other sandwhich shop)

What the gently caress? I had a sub at Robin Hood today because of this post and it tasted just like a sandwich you can make at home. What a fraud. I'll never trust another goon.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Some airman needed to get something signed by the commander. Instead of actually filling out his information on the thing and routing it up, he just emailed it blank straight to the commander.

To be honest, this is much more efficient than having five idiots send your routing sheet back five different times for nit-picky poo poo like spacing. Who gives a gently caress!? Just sign this stupid piece of paper so I can go snowboarding, poo poo!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Godholio posted:

If he'd filled it out and sent it, that might've worked if he had a chill commander. But like hell I'd fill out some scrub's paperwork to do HIM a favor. If it were me, I'd probably sign it if it were filled out (and if he wasn't a worthless piece of poo poo), but if it were blank I'd return it and CC his ncoic.

Whoops, didn't realize you meant the paperwork itself was blank. For some reason I assumed the routing slip was blank. That changes things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

This is what I did. 4 years in the Air Force in a position you aren't normally going to be able to find a job with on the outside. Get 10% disability when you get out, then get Chapter 31. Unlike the GI Bill, there's no upfront cost to go to school (tuition, school supplies, whatever they charge you for. they just reimburse the school for whatever your bill is), you get a stipend to live off of, and you're still eligible for Pell.

I did 4 years in the AF as a medic and had heart surgery so I got out with 70% disability. What's Chapter 31 though?

Also...not really the place to ask I guess but does everyone in the AF get a Secret clearance? I had one as a medic and have no idea why.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 3, 2017