Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The best new gun's revealed for Barkley 2 are:
Cougar. You know, just the right weapon for the right situations.
2. Hickory. You know, the gun and the gunplay of an old college football coach on the sideline.
3. Hobbit. The gun that looks like a hobo's hammer.
4. Voodoo. A really cool piece of gadgetry.
5. Gigantic Bulldog. The gun of a huge, bad guy, that doesn't look cool.
6. Gigantic Cobra. Yeah, the Cobra, but much bigger, much stronger.
7. Giant Hammer. A giant thing in all, that looks way too good to be real.
8. Scorpion. No gun's allowed, but if gun's are part of the deal, the scorpion will get it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I compiled the demo and am hosting it here, gently caress the police

EDIT, now on itch
https://tunicate.itch.io/barkley-3

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 10, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bisse posted:

Found what I think is the Space Harrier BBall prototype. Dont have a windows machine around to double check so it may also be virus infested garbageware. Let me know if its the right thing.

ThisIsBBall.exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FQDvFoQS3DznrY2Ed9oQhEQD9N04TBdN/view?usp=drivesdk
spaceharrier.gm81: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UECWe5FtSJkUvf4TET78swDvZ240ChIW/view?usp=drivesdk

I can confirm this is very real

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Download gpt-2, train it on a 50/50 mix of GBS and the bay12 forums, then have the neuralnet deliver fUlLy dYnAmIc realtime shitposts

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

barkley 2: even the debug messages don't work

Within a couple hours of uploading Barkley 3 my laptop stopped working entirely.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

What's a true doom murderhead thing to name ones dog?

Barksley

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frankie took a break to get some progress on his real RPG while poo poo was compiling lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frankie is currently working on his own horror rpg with an actual publisher.

It has all sorts of monsters with horrifying attacks, so he can just add one that forces you to debug a random section of barkley 2.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

ToGsters shouldn't be too embarrassed about Dark Drakerz, after all:

"SM" is Pokemon Sun/Moon

Sounds like a disk space vs simplicity tradeoff (with possible speed improvements depending on how loading models for an area works). It's only, what, 10% of SM's total size?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FrankieSmileShow posted:

he also preventing you from smelting all of your guns, which led to some bugs with code that presumed you always had at least one weapon equipped.

Melting down all your real gun's should automatically give you an Imaginary Gun.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Split the barkley 2 assets into twenty different packs, and sell each of them for 9.99 on the rpg maker asset store

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

It's funny to me because it basically looks like two people roleplaying as people connected to but not even part of the dev team for a game that was never finished.

That was a high dollar backer reward so should they be banned for :filez:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bark 3 was rpg maker mv, with a couple free plugins

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Honestly having an overpowered imaginary weapon you can only get by literally melting your entire arsenal into scrap would have been a great easter egg if nobody was told about it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The biggest issue using rmmv is that the engine has all its source exposed and is perfectly editable, but the official rpg maker editor is totally closed up. Which is why people build their own map editors from scratch (like the tileD one), or just go insane and build a map editor inside the engine itself, and map the game during playtesting

https://youtu.be/-eq97rmuDwU?t=105

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think simplification is anathema to Barkley 2

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Super Rad posted:

How am I supposed to beat the egg grabber? I've tried letting it run into stuff but I honestly have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing

Shoot it with gun's

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Super Rad posted:

I don't even have a fistol. Tried using mousewheel, shift, q and other promised buttons but no menus come up

Did you try right click to draw your gun

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Would moving the tutorial barrels a few inches to the left fix that issue?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You can kill rats with the combat roll, so technically you arent softlocked, but that does suck

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The squeaky glass cleaning sound and wrench turning are a little loud

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sartana posted:

I can tell the game is oozing with creativity, but I'm just baffled by something that I see a shitload of amateur game devs do. I don't understand why so many create this incredibly complex and detailed starting city where like every NPC house is completely furnished and where pissing in an alleyway starts 3 elaborate side storylines, and then expect to be able to scale that to an entire world. It's remarkably common for games like this to have one city like that 60% finished, and then a huge world full of bland garbage. It seems like it would become glaringly obvious after working on something like that that the time it would cost to scale it would be exponential and it would be 100 times better just to make that one zone the area of focus for the entire game. With something like this in particular it seems like there would be plenty of room for joke's to have this massive world where the only actual content is in this one incredibly detailed city. Am I off base here, or do game devs get so excited when they make an area like this and it's almost cool that they really think they can scale it to an entire universe where different creatures have behavioral patterns every hour of the day or whatever

I have heard that the best place to start making an amateur RPG is to begin with the final boss, and build that fight using all the tools you want your players to have at the end of the game.

Then make the first, weakest intro enemy.

Then decide where in between those two points the player will get each their skills/items/level ups/whatever.

That make scaling your challenges easier, cuts down on the temptation to add feature bloat, and if work on the project collapses, you can just toss the player the rest of the powerups all at once, and end it with a fun, highly polished and tested final boss fight.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ya'll done 'n chronocrossed it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The first game was also gamemaker and not rpgmaker. You can't really do paper Mario combat in rpgmaker.

barkley 1 it was originally rpgmaker and they ported it to gamemaker. They have an old rpgmaker build on their site actually

but you can do all sorts of crazy poo poo with rpg maker now, barkley 3 is all rpgmaker.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

It's issue is that it can't not be locked to a grid, which is the main reason I never really want to touch it. It also took FOREVER for the thing to get some diagonal movement. Sure, people have found ways to get around these, but it's ALWAYS super hacky and easy to break.

Altimit's plugin is pretty solid IME, though obviously once you start stacking together multiple movement-related plugins you run into major compatibility issues

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Character creation allegedly has numerous and subtle effects upon gun genetic's

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gortarius posted:

But then there are the most important questions of all...

Has anyone been able to do fishing, and has anyone discovered the creepy pasta story?

Yeah i did fishing. It is an easy way to get free weak gun's, though the high tier gun's are literally impossible to catch

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah i tried both, the issue i had was mainly that the fish moves faster than your cursor can

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The material tier list is incomprehensible as a joke

It would be more playable if it were sorted alphabetically as a joke

(Then changing to Al Bhed midgame would be a speedrun strat)

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 19, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah the game is currently trying to play both ends with having gun's be disposable easy come/easy go (like every weapon in botw), but also expecting the player to try to breed a great gun they really want to keep using(like more of a pokemon thing), and while I don't think that's necessarily impossible to resolve, the current compromise situation obviously isn't working.

The fact that breeding is so chaotic in its effects is one issue; i found myself reluctant to put in any good gun's because there was no guarantee of getting something better, and a good chance of getting something much worse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The clock is nonlinear too so the more quests you do the faster time elapses

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've got a question about B-Ball tactics - I've skimmed the design notes, and there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why it's a 3v3.

Is this a deep cut? Because the Sega Saturn version of Space Jam was also limited to 3v3 matches with local multiplayer...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's like the old med school saying, when you hear rebounds you think space jams, not street jams.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I only vote for the Ball Moose party.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A couple new bugs:

If you die and quit the game on the cinematic, the respawn coordinates aren't set so your save file is now unloadable

The eat candy hotkey is still active while inside the recharging tube

If you breed a powerful enough gun there is no lower limit on rate of fire, so it can dump all thousand or so bullets in a single frame and crash the engine

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

also the talesofgames security cert just expired

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

this guy makes my computer chug but doesn't quite crash

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bisse posted:

By the way, that ending spoiler is actually remarkably similar to the actual ending, just replace the BBall Rasengan with a Cyber Spear and add +1 boss battle.

That's not how it got resolved in my fanfiction, Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden Gaiden

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A shooter roguelite, or 'tyrian arcade mode' for short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/Retr0Joe/status/1215631550383034370?s=20