Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The first game was literally the funniest game I've ever played. And it was a legitimately good and fun game as well. Super stoked to continue the Hoopz Barkley saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Chef B, I remember reading a post quite a long time ago where you detailed your experiences with a weird jrpg. I remember it featured the Knights Templar, Euclid, and Moses's grave in India with his bones reversed.

Please, what the hell was the name of that game?
Sounds like it might be Exile for the Genesis/Turbo-CD? Never played it but it's full of weird poo poo like that

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I forgot that this still hasn’t come out yet

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SeXReX posted:

I too get upset when a game hasn't come out before the release date announced by the developers.

Okay.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vandar posted:

What if Barkley 2 is actually already out? What if, much like Frog Fractions 2, it’s hidden somewhere secret?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hopkins FBI posted:

The remainder of Chip's Phantom Pain LP will also be coming out in 2023

He actually tweeted today that they just recorded like 4 hours of it lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sounds like it’s time to bring in Jon Taffer to Rescue this project.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CrossCode ended up being a good RPG with guns

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

For me this is a perfect example of why I had no faith in Barkley 2 from the very beginning. "In JRPGs your party members don't show up on the world map outside of cutscenes" is something that hasn't been true since the late 90s and pointing out that this is a thing would be a mediocre Penny Arcade or RPG World joke in 2002. Doing in 2014 let alone 2019 is embarrassing, it's the gaming version of making a reference to hanging chads or doing a Matrix bullet time parody.

The sad thing is that the closest thing to the kind of lovely gonzo RPGmaker game that Barkely 1 drew most of its humor from is failed Kickstarter games, and if they had waited another year or two and used the first wave of big failures as a source of inspiration for jokes it could have been amazing and cutting edge. Even now places like itch.io are full of games that successfully translate Barkley's humor to modern sensibilities, like a Ready Player One parody that satirizes the obnoxious pop culture references of the source material by just using stolen and stock Unity assets for everything or a Seinfeld dating sim that is a pitch perfect homage to the pacing and humor of a classic Seinfeld ep only set in a 90s anime visual novel rather then 90s New York. In a way trying to make Barkley 2 be an actual good game was probably the best course they could have taken because they've completely and utterly failed to keep up with the zeitgeist and the humor alone wouldn't be enough to carry them anymore.

Actually Dragon Quest XI, which came out last year, does it. Topic Locked.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only games that come close to being as legitimately funny as Barkley 1 are the Yakuza games tbh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Another super absurd idea I pushed for was to have the gun's type (pistol, revolver, rocket launcher, double-barelled shotgun etc) come from this absurd system that involved a procedurally-generated colored map on which there are continents and islands representing each gun type, different for every game but built with a rough internal logic (similar weapons' lands are close to one another) , and every weapon in the game "lives" somewhere in that map, and fusing two weapons made those two "meet in the middle" based on their relative power to decide what new weapon type they are. In my defense though, I then immediately built that absurd idea and as far as I know, that is still the same code working in the game now, but its definitely one of these absurd ideas that could have degenerated and added to these problems.

This is actually cool lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anonymous Robot posted:

If anyone wants to play a game like what the core gameplay of Barkley 2 would’ve been, Enter the Gungeon is probably your best bet. It’s a fun game.

I'm gonna re-post my suggestion for CrossCode, it's an action RPG with twin stick shooting and melee, fully hand-crafted world, quests, etc. On PC and coming to Switch soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Here is a screenshot of the periodic table of gun materials that Bhroom made.

We came up with most of these materials together, but he figured out how to arrange them, and this all worked, as absurd as it was.
There was another chart where you could select two materials and it showed you the result.
The idea was to have the resulting materials of a fusion seem random to the player at first, but every material combination always having the same result meant people could "map" how the combinations work, and eventually maybe actually realize the full horror of what we made, this table above here.

Some of these gun materials I later worked on to make their shots have more personality, and that was a lot of fun. The Klispin (I think we renamed it Marble?) gun fired spooky ghosts that hunted down enemies and moved through them (basically the wraithverge weapon from Hexen), the pinata gun fired candy, the yggdrasil gun left behind a trail of nature, grass and flowers growing, the crystal gun shots exploded in random shrapnel, while the diamond gun exploded in shrapnel flying in specific angular directions, the fungus gun fired floating spores that spawned mushrooms when it hit the ground, the imaginary guns were all Hoopz just holding nothing in his hands, firing invisible hitscan bullets and making gun sounds with his mouth, and was supposed to be more powerful the more innocent Hoopz was (basically the less time passed I think the stronger it would get? Im not sure we ever implemented that idea though!).

Jesus Christ