Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I'm so god drat excited. Really. Barkley was the funniest game I have ever played. I've already pledged, but having it on Steam would be cool and I'd give it a vote on Greenlight.

If there was some assurance like "If we can get it on Steam, we'll give backers a Steam code", that would be awesome, but I don't know if that's feasible.

I know trying to push for the continued monopoly of Steam is kinda poo poo and everything but... I like having all most of my game's in one place... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Hot tip: I would double my pledge for a pointless in-game item exclusive to backers, or worthless ability, if it's funny. You'd probably get to snare lots of people who are like "I'll just buy the game when it comes out."

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Couldn't you just manually add it to your steam library?

it... it's not the same... :qq:

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Dinictus posted:

I would back the gently caress out of you guys, but Kickstarter only accepts credit cards and gently caress that noise when I have a perfectly valid bank account number linked to my Paypal :sigh:

Paypal should go up soon; they didn't want to dilute the offering toward the kickstarter total until they met the base goal, or something. (They were expecting an "uphill battle".)

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

stretch goal, $100,000: b-ball court in Nightmare City with fully playable b-ball game in the style of the original Barkley Shut Up and Jam.

new pledge reward: be one of the teammates in Nightmare City b-ball.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Heh... the real BSUaJ:G fans speak Japanese Al Bhed.

In Barkley 2 you should license this other equally ridiculous version of Eternity. When I heard this, I was like, "Hahaha woah poo poo, this song was in Barkley" because I've never played Blue Dragon.

The vocals are in Japanese, which makes it the true version of the song, even though it came later. No Deep Purple guy though. If they got him to sing in Japanese I probably would've poo poo myself.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

300k stretch goal: OUYA exclusive

Here's a weird question: Do Kickstarted games do alright in sales eventually? If you raise $200k but it's all in promised sales what happens if the game finally comes out and nobody else buys it?

Promised sales? You mean like pre-orders? With a successful kickstarter, they've already paid for the game's development, so any post-kickstarter sales would just be pure profit.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

I really didn't like the Penny Arcade game's portraits either, and the general style maybe isn't to everyone's liking, but the sprites are made well, or at the very least they're informed about what makes a good sprite on a technical level, even if they aren't the best artists.

Whereas Barkley 1 breaks all sorts of rules; people have already pointed out the asset theft and the awful "guy dribbling a basketball" sprite, but not--for example--that one pixel might be ten times the size of the pixel next to it, because a sprite was just scaled up instead of being drawn with its size in mind.

It's pretty funny, since they did it so brazenly, but I like good-looking things, and I'm more excited to see Barkley 2 with its original, well-made sprites.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

quote:

X114JAM9 awakens aboard the giant space ziggurat Necron 7, but why does he already know who he is? Has he done this all before...?

aaaaaaaaa

90k sounds amazing. That has the potential to be the best New Game + ever made. 120k sounds incredible, too.

...I don't even care about the Space Jam theme. I mean, yeah, I'd sit on the Barkley 1 menu screen for five minutes, sometimes, when I started the game up, but that's still there, and $60,000+ didn't need to be allocated to it. I think I'm good. Space Jam'd out.

The pledge tiers could still use a little tweaking, maybe. Nobody's buying the high ones. :(

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

nerdbot posted:

I wish I had known how many different versions of this song existed before this thread.

For anyone who missed the "Earthbound Papas" version (Nobuo's loving metal band):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uGaysof7aI

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

This thread has literally been the only place on the internet that talks about B2 and yet hundreds (thousands?) of people care that it's officially dead?

In my case I forgot about this website until I saw screenshots on twitter. I just sort of assumed everyone was like me, making Barkley 2 release date jokes to like two other people in some small and completely unrelated Discord server.

Thank god I got here for the Dark Draker story. Now I'm just kind of wondering if I'm supposed to go away again or keep refreshing this page in the hopes that a google alert has woken cboyardee from a coma and he's already writing his own post

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

I'm just happy to see you guys posting. No hard feelings. I know a ton of cool writing and music and stuff was made for this project over the years and I still want to see it, even if I have to sift through broken code myself to find it. I want to laugh at the insane and unfeasible ideas in your design docs. But it seems like bhroom hasn't given up over on the kickstarter page so I have no idea what's happening.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Another material (Itano) made any of its shots into enemy-seeking rockets that left behind smoke trails, so it basically turned any weapon into a heat-seeking mini rocket launcher.

I'm in the "I never was really invested in this project for the shooting gameplay" camp but if you actually got the Itano effect down, it's real sad if I don't get to play this

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

tag yourself, I'm polenta :yum:
soy

edit: the "damascus steel" gun with the telltale banding effect is loving funny. God I wish I got to play this

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Treebeh posted:

I'm glad the silence is broken and I can start to move on, but another part of me is sad that I don't have anything to look forward to anymore.
I for one am looking forward to all the post's in this thread

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

I for one am really happy Bort joined all the other missing faces in posting here. Bring back the good vibes. I know this project turned into a horribly mismanaged mess but the thread did take a noticeably, infectiously nasty turn. Bisse started by saying "90% of work on Barkley 2 was amazing" before the worst stories started to get a little too enjoyable, after all.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

The demo is honestly loving good. I mean it shouldn't have taken (7+?) years to get here but I was cackling at the esoteric gun'sbreeding system and endless character creation gags signifying nothing. The NPCs still have that ToG charm. It's janky in various places, obviously -- my main feature request would be to drop guns from the quickmenu as an alternative to scrapping them -- but now I'm really glad a demo was pushed out instead of just a GameMaker file that I probably wouldn't have been able to make sense of anyway.

Even if this is the last thing I see from this -- and I'd love to see more, but also don't want anyone working for free for the rest of their lives for it -- all that work wasn't for nothing. Well done.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

since you're taking suggestions, (if I'm recalling the right part) the sound of the spray paint when designing the heraldry symbol sounded like harsh white noise to me

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Lister posted:

The apocalypse happened because of b-ball. This is grim but there's no sheen of ridiculousness. Or at least not enough of it.
I still think there's a real diamond in the rough of this demo, but I have to echo this point. It was totally possible to make a great Barkley 2 without all the IP theft, but this here is where the tone of Barkley 1 should have carried over more.

Urto posted:

I'm the newest B2 dev. Very new, in fact, having only joined last week for sake of the demo. I volunteered because I have the time to, I'm not really doing anything else, and it seems fun to me.
You're like the third dev since GZ first spoke out, current or former, to pay $10 to post maybe once or twice in a thread full of assholes. You all know there are other websites that are free, right?

Should you be working for free to finish a game that is far from done, and which still belongs to someone else, not having been fully turned over to the community as some kind of open source thing? Everyone's going to say no. But at the very least, I think it's been well worth a couple weeks of effort to make the mostly-finished parts of this 7-year project accessible to us. Any efforts in the short-term to plug existing stuff in, and to tweak the janky stuff, should be appreciated.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Shanty posted:

A lot of people like coding dumb little hobby projects with 0 prospect of release or profit. If someone is in that situation then jumping into Barkol Z dev, poking around a bit and peacing out whenever they like is a real luxury.
If zero prospect of release or profit was agreed upon by everybody involved, I would totally agree here, and that's what should happen. But Barkley 2 isn't some communal fan project yet, and this isn't a mod scene. Someone still controls the rights to it and is using their work.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

I understood that it was a tradeoff to use a lighter, aerodynamic bait to get the fish that were further away from me, though I wasn't sure if weight also affected difficulty in terms of making the fish move away from the cursor slower or anything like that? And it seems you reel in at a fixed rate, so I take it the duration you have to keep it going is just a measure of the distance of the fish? It's one of the cooler fishing minigames I've seen, though some of those numbers could be tweaked. Some fish are impossible to catch, at least with the demo bait.

Also, some gun stuff was unclear to me. The fishgut bucket guy talks about tiers, and I noticed they have colored names when you pick them up, but it's all white in the menus. I also wasn't sure what the "SPC" letters in the menu meant, or whether the "compatibility" when breeding ever showed anything other than green and red. I didn't have too much success breeding the guns I liked best in the time I messed around with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The worst examples are when I'd fuse a high power gun with low capacity and a low power gun with high capacity, and end up with a gun that has both mediocre power and mediocre capacity, aka a completely useless weapon.
This wouldn't be a problem if you kept the parents, and repeatedly bred them until you got the kid with the best genes of both. I'm not really sure why the parents fuse into the kids, other than to take a lot of control over the process away from the player and keep them from quickly breeding the best gun in the game, but there should be ways around that, like a cost of scrap (or time) when breeding.