Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I passed my CCNA finally. I did the Neil Anderson Udemy course and the Boson Sims until i could get above a 900 routinely. I also passed Sec+ in August.

My question is, whats next? I enjoy Network Engineering and security, but I still feel like I should know more before I start applying in a crowded job market (NYC area).

Im stuck in a job that pays well but isnt right for me anymore, is it possible to gather enough of a skillset to bypass most helpdesk time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Got through chapter 3 of my RHCSA book. How hard is this cert for someone with limited linux exp?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

ClumsyThief posted:

Not sure how many people here have or are pursuing AWS certs but I just pass the SysOps Admin Associate and that test is not a joke. Failed my first attempt and passed my second about an hour ago.

Admittedly I came at it from almost zero, having only done the entry level CCP cert and with no professional AWS experience but it's an exam that you can't really fake via brain dumps and such. You either understand the main services and how they all interact or you don't.

Taking a week off now but that leaves me with just the CCNA left for certs at WGU and per this thread and other places I think I'll be working through Lammle's books for it.

Plugging Neil Anderson's Udemy class ($12)and the BOSON practice tests ($90?) for CCNA. I passed it in about 2.5 months with little background knowledge.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Is boson a good baseline of where you should be before taking the theoretical CEH?

This hot garbage of a cert is the last thing I need to complete for my degree. I've gone through the course materials, supplemented it with the Walker's AIO v10, and bought the boson exam prep. I thought I had a good handle on the content but scored in the low 70's on exam A boson today, which completely shattered my confidence.

I've heard nothing but bad things about CEH. Is it worth getting anymore? Im looking for an entry level security cert and I'm leaning toward Cisco CyberOps because it refreshes my CCNA.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I'm doing my test prep for AZ-104. Used Trainingdojo ($15). I failled my first test with a 59% after doing Scott Duffys Udemy course. I'm told thats not uncommon.

I read through the wrong answers to figure out why they are wrong and took the same version again to get a 91%. My plan is to repeat this process with the remaining 3 versions and if i get above a 90, schedule the exam.

If I pass. I think i might switch to a .Net/Angular course instead of going straight to Az-305. My current employment isnt cloud related and I dont think I have the experience to a) pass it b) have it mean anything if I pass it.

I think my goal might be DevOps. I don't really know enough to know what I want. This is all for a second career I plan on starting in a few years.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Passed my AZ-104!

I thought it was going to be close, but I got an 880. I used Scott Duffys course on Udemy, and TutorialsDojo practice tests.

I'm not sure where to go now. I feel like maybe I should go learn a scripting language instead of going toward Az-500 right away. I still don't know if I want to end up in a Devops role or focus more on security but I figure learning python could help with both.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Thanks! And Its based out of 1000.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Does anyone have any experience with AZ-500? Is it harder than az104? ACloudGuru recommends it before AZ-30(5).

Job-wise, Would it be more beneficial build some projects in python first ?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Cyks posted:

Congrats. I was that way with the VVP-NV last week as well. Since you can take the exam as a CCNA holder I assumed that part of the exam would be about networking but no, not a single question.

Anyone who has access to a .mil email (mil, civ or ctr, doesn’t matter) from now until end of June you have a 100% off voucher for all certification exams. No limit on the number of exams you can receive a voucher for but I don’t know if you can get multiples for the same exam if you fail. Just have to link your .mil email to your Microsoft account when scheduling.

Do you mean VCP-NV? The CCNA didn't help at all?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Cyks posted:

Sorry, I’m bad about proof reading but yes the VCP-NV. Knowing some networking concepts will help with understanding how NSX-T works but no knowledge was needed for the questions I had.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I was interested in taking it because a VCP-NV holder can then sit for other VMware certs without having to pay for their overpriced training courses. What would i need to study for the VCPNV if anything as a CCNA holder?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I've been doing the Dion training Udemy course for the CYSA+ cert. Slowly losing my motivation to finish it. Anyone here have a positive story after passing it?

My end goal is a WFH cyber security gig. My plan after this is to work on the az-500, since I already passed az-104.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Has anyone taken the CySA exam recently? I decided to take the Udemy course and am in the process of taking practice exam.

I was wondering if it was significantly harder than Sec+

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Got my CySA+!

I definitely did not think I was going to pass. I clicked finished test and thought, "well there goes $400".

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

navyjack posted:

I’m supposed to take mine end of summer. Would you be up for a PM to talk about what you saw and what you were surprised by. Any tips and tricks are welcome!

Of course. I watched the Dion Training Udemy course at 1.25x speed and took occasional notes (30 hours). Then I got the sybex practice questions book and took the 2 practice tests at the end. I bombed them but I researched why the correct answer was correct and made sure I understood it (10 hours). Then I got the Dion Training practice questions module on Udemy and scored most tests in the 80s and researched why I got the wrong answers (12 hours). Then retook the tests and got 90s.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Congrats!

How hard do you think it would be for someone without any prior certain?

Hard unless you've worked in a SOC before. I hadn't but I had SEC+ (3 years ago) CCNA and some Linux background, although I haven't done formal it work. I barely passed. It's not impossible though. If you can get mid 80s on the Dion practice tests without memorization Id say you're ready.

I'd say get Sec+, Linux+ and maybe even pentest + first, since pentest + forces you to do the actual hands on part.

It's designed to be for someone in the industry for 4 years and honestly I don't think I'm better off with the cert since I don't have that experience yet.

Not sure where I should go now. Maybe CISSP? AZ-500? CISA? I live near the HQ of some big accounting/auditing firms but I'm really enjoying working from home

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

navyjack posted:

Ok all good info. I work in a SOC as an analyst now. I have some hands on with Splunk and some other standard analysis and automation tools, as well as IR, CTI, and threat hunter colleagues sitting nearby to ask questions. I’ve got Sec and Net+, as well. I’m mostly getting the CySA for something to do while promotions are frozen, so when they unfreeze, I’ve got something to show.

I would just take the Dion Training practice exams on Udemy to gage where your knowledge level is first. It's like $12. If you score in the 90s on the first try you'll probably pass the exam.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

FCKGW posted:

:siren: Free MS Certs are back :siren:

Pulled from Slickdeals:

I did both my AZ-900 and AZ-104 for free through the MS challenges, it's a good program.

I did my Az-104 through this as well, what's the likelihood I can cram for the the 305 within the timeframe?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

C2C - 2.0 posted:

So, thanks to Amazon's Career Choice benefit, I've been accepted to WGU for the Cloud Computing (B.S.) curriculum.

I already have a B.A. in Mass Comm from a state university, so once my transcripts have been evaluated, it looks like I'll have all of the general education classes wiped out. What's left after that looks fairly manageable as long as I don't just blow everything off. The degree itself isn't as important to me as the certs that are earned by completing the program:

- ITIL
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Project+
- CompTIA Cloud+
- LPI Linux Essentials
- Microsoft AZ-104 (Azure Administrator Associate)
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect
- AWS Certified Developer
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator-Associate
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner

Since Amazon is paying for everything, I might as well go for it since this particular benefit just became available to me. The impending issue is that I don't have any IT experience and my current warehouse doesn't have any IT positions open. Is there anything I might be able to do outside of the curriculum to make myself more attractive to potential future employers? I don't have any particular loyalty to Amazon & their internal hiring system is pretty lackluster. I'm pretty much undertaking this endeavor to not only afford myself the opportunity to earn more but also to move somewhere that I actually enjoy living (currently in Indiana and...err...not really loving it so much).

No.

Finish WGU as soon as possible and reassess your situation after you finish it.

You're thinking too far ahead. That curriculum will take years to complete if you're also working. An IT spot may or may not open up during that time period.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Well I passed my CISSP. My company paid for it and a supervisor is sponsoring me.

That test was extremely annoying. My experience matched everything you'll read saying you think you failed until you get your "Congratulations" paper.

Not sure what to do with myself now. Been dedicating a good portion of my free time to this god drat test for the last 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Rotten Cookies posted:

Passed the CCNA an hour ago.

I'd read that if you pass, you get a splash screen saying pass, so when that didn't show up I was pretty drat dejected. Then as I'm signing out of the testing center, the proctor gives me a printout with info and a big ol' PASS on the bottom and I start laughing.

So yeah, I can relate.

The monitor I took the test on was so drat small the CLI was blown way the hell up and made reading it some sort of hell.

Congrats. What are you going for next?