Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Off the top of my head:

Know what type of connectors attach to where on a motherboard and what they look like. (Colors/shapes/specifics of slots) You should be able to identify any connector by its description, appearance, or Standard number. You should also be able to identify specific components on a motherboard

Know how to do basic remediation given a descriptor of malware/ malware aftereffects.

Know basic port numbers like SMTP, FTP, Telnet, RDP

Know your speed tables for RAM PC-XXXX, PC2-XXXX etc.

Know basic diagnostic command line tools and various switches.

Know your paths for common tasks such as enabling sharing of services/peripherals

Know your printers and dealing with stuff going wrong with them. (If x, then what's wrong/ how do you fix it)

Know common wireless standards (NOT JUST 802.11)

Take practice tests, be warned that practice tests may not have simulations. Be prepared to do matching/dragging and dropping.

Read.

Much more than that is getting pedantic and should be covered by taking a practice test to evaluate your weak spots.

I'm assuming the simulations were ran through something similar to labsim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Yay passed CompTIA A+ :toot:

Test was a lot easier than I expected, although the things I didn't know I straight up didn't know.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So I'm currently going through WGU's IT program, and my next cert is MS' 98-349. I'm assuming that this is a joke that I'll pass just by looking at it, someone I talked to compared it to the CIW Web Foundations test in difficulty which was ridiculously easy. I suppose I'll just schedule and take it and get through my program that much faster. I can see why people say you can get through this degree pretty quickly if you're already working in IT, but man it'll be nice getting into more challenging content at some point.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DropsySufferer posted:

If know if you choose a network administration emphasis you'll eventually be working on the CCNA. Wow looking at just bachelor's that is really simple. You'll need to move network administration if want some challenge. For network administration I see the CCNA, and MCSA certs listed. Your idea might not be bad though just to breeze though a B.S degree.

I should have specified; I'm in the it security program so there's at least a ccna in there eventually.

Would it be worth it to go grab the net+ on my own or would that look redundant next to a ccna?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DropsySufferer posted:

Net+ would be redundant and almost worthless compared to the CCNA, and an bigger waste if you're spending your own money. Net+ is basically just an overview of the CCENT/ICND1 portion of the CCNA. I'd only recommend it if you were required to pass net+.

That was my thinking too, but I got into an argument with someone today about how Net+ was equal to a CCNA. His argument was that if the company doesn't use cisco that they'd rather see a Net+, my argument was if you have a CCNA you should be able to walk through Net+ and any employer should know that.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

psydude posted:

If your program gives you a CCNA there's no reason to get a N+. Get a S+ instead.

I'm good there, program includes sec+.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So I'm trying to knock out both Sec+ and Net+ in the next few months for WGU, and I started with Sec+, however before checking the OP I ordered the book that WGU is using which is this one. Should I just say screw it and grab Darril Gibson's book instead? I'm like five chapters into the Emmett Dulaney one and it seems okay but based on everyone saying Darril's is super awesome I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time. Also would it be worth it do Net+ first and come back to Sec+? I've got a pretty rudimentary knowledge of networking from the job I did in the Navy but I'm not sure how much networking knowledge I should have for the Sec+ and the Dulaney book keeps reminding me that CompTIA assumes you have networking knowledge.

Also, and this might be a little unrelated, does anyone have any experience with CompTIA's CTT+ cert? I'm giving it a shot next week because the Navy is paying for it and a couple other instructor's who took it said it's fairly common sense teaching theory.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

wrong way posted:

I've complete my sec+ a few months ago and if you need both certs I would go with the networking+ first as the sec+ expects you to have the knowledge. However if things like subnetting memorizing common ports and firewall rules sounds easy then you can safely skip net+. As for the books I've heard good things about both so you should be fine.

Sounds like I might switch gears. I'll be done with the Sec+ book by tomorrow so I'll take some practice tests and see how I feel about it.

How's the Michael Meyers book for Net+?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

Is the CIW 1D0-520 as easy as practice materials suggest?

Most CIW exams are pretty easy, I don't remember having any issues with that one when I took it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Got my Sec+ yesterday.

Just want to echo the OP; I read the book suggested and studied the port chart, although I also read a Sybex Sec+ book I felt the one mentioned in the OP was much better. I've got three years as a (small) network admin so that probably helped, but that book is fantastic. Moving on to Net+, need to knock that out in about four weeks. I've got the Michael Meyers Net+ book and WGU has the Sybex ebook so I should be set.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

I'm taking my net+ tomorrow and will be starting to study for my sec+ after that, I'm also at WGU and LabSim helped me a ton. The worst part is watching these dorks ramble on for 20 minutes at a time without nodding off at least once in the middle of it.

The blonde guy's not terrible, the other guy though...

Good luck, if it goes well I'll be sure to use more of the labsim stuff for net+.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

Oh good god you're not kidding, he reminds me of Droopy Dog from Looney Tunes. What helped me most was the notes you can print out and the lesson review quizzes, the practice and domain exams are very helpful too. Since you've been working in IT you probably already know 3/4 if not all the stuff they are going to cover.

That's what a guy I work with who just got his sec+ did with his labsim stuff and it seemed useful. Really my only issue with labsim besides Droopy Dog guy (this is how I'm going to refer to him henceforth) is that they seem to meander and sometimes go to places that I don't think they need to. Still good stuff though, if I had the time to watch all of there videos I would.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

Anyone know off the top of their head how long it takes CompTIA to post certifications to your account? I'm not seeing much about it on their website beside show to order new paper certificates.

Up to five business days.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Race Realists posted:

Asked this before and I never got an answer. What do you guys do to keep your certs from expiring?

More certs for the cert god.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

skooma512 posted:

So Security+ has added performance based questions since the Gibson book went to press.

One of the questions could be getting an md5 hash. That's fine, but that feature doesn't come with Windows and you need to get a program for it. How you'll know what to run on the test will be hard unless that program happens to be in the directory you're in. :catstare:

I'm not sure how to feel about them adding things like that and the review books not getting new editions. Luckily I've been looking for supplemental material but someone could just as easily use only the book and show up to the exam only to get dinged on something minor like that.

The performance questions are not what I would call difficult. "Performance" is a very loose term to use with them.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

Will TestOut's LabSim and the Sybex book for Sec+ be enough for me to pass if I've never worked in InfoSec? I scraped by on my N+ using the LabSim solely, but since then I've read that Sec+ is much more in depth. I'm trying to tap every resource available to make sure I pass on my first attempt.

Seriously, just use the book in the op. I read the sybex book too and it's okay, but the one in the op is better. I didn't use the labsim stuff at all.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

:sweatdrop: I should've asked before ordering the Sybex book probably. LabSim is supplied through WGU and sometimes the labs and quizzes help me I guess but they go on forever about mundane bullshit in the videos. Would you be willing to sell your copy of the book in the OP?

I've actually been using the wgu provided stuff less and less for the IT classes because yea the labsim guys go all over the place. I bought the book on my kindle so I can't sell it to you unfortunately. Are you planning on testing before January? If not you'll need the book for 401, although the wgu coursework includes both.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Net+ done with. Probably CCNA next. More certs for the cert god and all that.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

penga86 posted:

If you can get subnetting down pat, ICND 1 isn't that much tougher than Network+. ICND 2 has more of the routing and WAN parts of the CCNA.

For real? Fantastic! Hopefully I can jet through ICND1 then.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Bigass Moth posted:

Is network+ pointless if I plan on getting a ccna?

I only got it because it's part of my degree plan. Most people will tell you yes, except for my crazy friend who thinks a CCNA is easier and a lower level cert than NET+, which is absolutely false.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Parlett316 posted:

Don't let crazy people influence your career

No no no you see net+ is vendor neutral therefore

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

It might just be because I started Sec+ almost immediately after getting Net+ but I feel like there is a good amount of overlap on some of the topics covered.

Comptia expects you to have basic networking proficiency for sec+ and some concepts are expanded upon. I went in reverse order though (sec+ then net+) and was fine.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

I'll never be good enough :negative:

Thanks. Is there no option to flag questions for review on the CCNA?

Nooooooope.

Grats on passing sec+!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Got my CTT+ today. Not sure if I'll ever use it but it was paid for by work so...

Also ordered the newest version of the Lammle CCNA book, I'm only a couple chapters in but his style is fantastic. Way better than most other cert books I've read.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 27, 2015

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Based on what job you're doing in the military they'll pay for certain certifications. My current job is teaching and CTT+ falls under that according to the Navy's credentialing program.

So yes, but it's not like my boss was like hey go get this because we want you to have it. I just choose to go get it since other people I've worked with have said it lines up fairly nicely with another Navy program that I recently went through.

They're also going to pay for my CAPM and PMP eventually. By no means should anyone join the military though because holy gently caress it's awful.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Quaelopec posted:

I'm looking to get my Net+ finally. Are the suggestions for it in the OP still fine or are there better resources you guys prefer now?

Seconding waht Japanese Dating Sim said. I also used CBT and Mike Meyer's book and passed no problems. I feel like Net+ gives you a good foundation to work from for ICND1 if you;re going to go that route.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

All Else Failed posted:

That's what I was thinking, thanks. Although I was thinking of just doing the A+ then the Net+ because it probably couldn't hurt, but I don't know if it's worth it or not. I really don't know much about what I'm getting into.

I'd skip it. No one is going to look at your resume, see net+ and then ask why you don't have an A+. The A+ requires an incredible breadth (no depth)of knowledge of poo poo that most people don't know off the top of their heads, and mostly useless minutiae. The only reason I have one is it was required for WGU.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

Just watched the first CBT nugget video for CCNA and this guy is coked out of his mind or something

It's loving amazing. Sooooo much better than the labsim guys.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

I watched a 30 minute video and it wasn't god awful! At the end I thought this exact same thing :hfive:

If you plan on making a lab I'd watch the 'Making a Lab' video sooner than later. You can probably get by with the Sims wgu has though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Once the test is released, I don't believe that the material within it changes. So as long as the version that Professor Messer's videos is covering matches what's posted on CompTIA's website, you're fine. The only updates that I'm aware of happen when they actually retire a test and come out with a new one (they'll probably come out with the Windows 8.1 focused A+ exam right when Windows 10 hits the market).

Same's true of the other two as well - so if Messer's stuff is covering the same exam version, you're good.

And even if you aren't, the material doesn't change that much, so you'd still get a lot of good from watching his videos.

Edit - in my opinion, the test A+ book is Mike Meyers' and the best Security+ book is Darril Gibson's.

I'll second the book recommendations. Meyers has a net+ book that's pretty good also.

I'm heading into my last week and a half studying for ICND1, I've gone through all of the CBTnuggets, have subnetting down pretty well, and read Lammle's book, assuming I should just lab all week. I used to work on Cisco switches so I'm fairly familiar with Cisco IOS. Anything in particular I should go nuts on?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

magicalmako posted:

Is it ok to take the 801 and 802 A+ exams a day apart?

I don't see why it would be a problem.

The CBT Nuggets only ahs two somewhat short videos on IPv6 for ICND1...should I just know the basic nuts and bolts of IPv6 or is this something that CISCO is going to surprise me on and have a decent amount of questions on it?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Chickenwalker posted:

Lammle's section on subnetting is overly verbose and kinda blows. He starts out teaching you bitwise calculations and then just gives up and starts substituting it with magic number stuff halfway through with no real introduction to the concept. I had to Google to find what he meant by interesting octet.

Yea I agree. The CBT Nugget I watched on subnetting made it much clearer.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Passed ICND1 today, it was honestly easier than I thought it would be. ICND2 in a couple of months I think.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Frag Viper posted:

Just passed ICND2 today with a 960. Woo!

I thought ICND1 was harder then ICND2. I barely squeaked by on ICND1.

Grats! That's good to hear, taking a few days off before I dive into the material for ICND2.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good CCNA Security book? That's my next class at WGU after R&S so I'd like to order it shortly to hit the ground running.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Contingency posted:

Things must have changed since I've taken either exam, because there's a significant leap between "when should a fiber cable be used" and "calculate the STP path cost for Switch E."

There isn't any STP on the ICND1 exam, but yea I agree that it's more complicated than Net+, mostly because of all of the Cisco IOS stuff.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I would say that it's definitely a cert that's gaining more and more appreciation in the job market. I've seen quite a few security analyst positions that require it as one of their primary certifications. And considering the on-going damage that's gradually being discovered as part of the OPM hack I can only see it as gaining additional traction as a cert.

That's good to hear. I'm taking ICND2 in a few weeks and then starting CCNA Security for WGU. Seems like a lot of us going to WGU are in the Security track.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Took ICND2 today and got a 750. I was running out of time pretty bad towards the end but still had about a minute per question, then I got 2 sims in my last 5 questions. I'll take a week or two and go again, shouldn't be too difficult.

ICND1 in a week with no previous experience seems crazy unless you're no poo poo in books for the entire 8 hours of class a day. I agree with Schnoopy and a month of regular studying should be plenty.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

beepsandboops posted:

ICND1 subnetting

If you can't subnet quickly the actual exam is going to be pretty brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

crunk dork posted:

ICND2 scheduled for the 14th... have been hitting 75%+ on practice exams. I feel like I still have a lot of knowledge lacking for some reason though, but apparently its good enough!

That's what I was getting on them before I went in for the first time. My problem now is as I go back through Lammle's book and the Nuggets I feel like I know pretty much everything being put out. Second attempts on the 27th.