Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Good thread, I'm a diesel nerd and I just recently got an AHU to put in my Scirocco. I used to have a 99 Beetle TDI that I had done some stuff to like PP520s, VNT17 and a Rocketchip 3 among other things and I loved it. I drove it with my foot to the floor most of the time and still got 39 and could get 53 on the highway when I wanted to.

Just got a ALH 11mm pump for the AHU and I plan on getting GT2052 for it. I haven't decided on nozzles and stuff yet because I want to see a few more dyno runs from my friends with similar setups. Right now I'm collecting the parts to rebuild the engine except for the pistons since I need to measure the bores first to see if I'll need over sized ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nice! Did you get any porting done?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

No, mostly just valve seats and guides. The #2 valve guide was GONE, it slid RIGHT out when I took off the retainers.

But this head has 280k on it :ssh:

Great, mine has 287k on it so I cant wait to see what it looks like inside :sweatdrop: It ran like a top but smoked like a train. Thats the first time I've even heard of a valve guide sliding out.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

How is your oil usage?

I bought it as a parts car and pulled the engine and stuff out pretty much right away so I'm not sure.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh the whole thing is getting rebuilt from top to bottom. I already have the bearings and gaskets and a machine shop all lined up.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Atomic Mitten posted:

Awwww yes, I had this too (in the fetching red shown). My wife loved mine so much, we got a second in Silver. Both did 120k, between the two cars the only things to go wrong were one brake switch and one turbo. Cheapest car I'll probably ever run, I think the PD130 was perfect for this car - the 150 has a few troubling faults and the lower ones just were not enough fun - great first car.

I drive a 170 CR TDI in a Seat Leon now which has been to the garage 11 times under warranty. Thanks Seat.

Sucks you've had so much trouble with it cause thats an awesome looking car and we dont get the 170hp over here. We have to steal your Euro parts and make them.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I've bought more than a few Euro spec OEM parts, makes the TDI much more fun.

Hah, yea, I've been checking tdiclub and vortex every day for a PD150 intake that comes out the left side of the engine and for the PD guys the 150 injectors are a nice upgrade.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Anyone able to help me out?

I missed this question somehow but give me a sec.

e: 47.7cm

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Thanks guys!

What are you scheming where you need this information? Please tell me a RWD something with a TDI.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I really REALLY want to put a 2.0l TDI engine in my Quattro 4000.

Hah yes, thats one of my dream projects.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hey guys, if any of you use TDIClub you may know who oilhammer is. He is extremely knowledgeable, helpful and had a big part in figuring out the B5 chain delete. He's also a friend of mine and a super nice and funny guy. He has been going through a rough time recently which is explained in the thread. Because of this there is a raffle with awesome TDI related prizes (tunes, clutches, etc) that I thought some people here might be interested in. Even if you don't know Brian there is still cool stuff to win. The thread is right here

The raffle is in the thread and right here

Lets win some stuff and help Brian!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Race 520s would smoke wicked bad with those mods. If it is an RC2 with PPs it should run really nice.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

$200! Holy hell thats a steal, poo poo.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Good news, this is actually just the oil return passage, which is now sleeved with a piece of tubing. The block is salvageable. So I've got a good ALH motor for $200.

I hate you.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Do not risk the wrath of the chosen one! The EZ Out is a sign!

poo poo you're right...we're not worthy, we're not worthy!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Dattserberg posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a 2011 Jetta TDI with 26k miles. Switching over from a 2006 Explorer so I'm pretty excited about the fuel savings. This is both my first diesel and first manual transmission daily driver. Really looking forward to all of the learning that's going to happen over here. This thread basically sold me on a getting a TDI and I couldn't be happier at this point.

Nice, youre going to love having a diesel when you only have to get fuel every couple weeks. Unless you have a longass commute or something.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Look at the little arrow beside the fuel pump symbol. In nearly all modern cars it points to the side with the cap :eng101:

Get ready to be warned by people that you are filling up with diesel. Little rural towns are always where I have someone come jogging over or wave at me to let me know I'm going to mess up my car, in a friendly way of course. It normally makes for a nice chat and I've had some drat good lunches based off asking them where to pick up a meal.

Yea that happened all the time when I had my Beetle. Then the next thing they would ask is if the engine was still in the back, haha.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea, that automatic will die. Not just wear out but actual hard parts break in them. The price is kinda high considering its going to need either another transmission or a 5 speed swap.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

New injectors? I think so.

Bosio PP520s

I had those in my Beetle, a nice nozzle with a tune for more boost.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

I was going to ask about this. Is it worth while to do an 'Italian Tuneup' type drive once and a while to clean out diesels or is that BS? Mines a 2000 TDI and it runs great but it really never sees high RPM or heavy throttle...am I making things worse by driving it nice all the time?

The Italian tune up will help the vanes in your turbo not stick. You should do it like once a week or so.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I am looking to buy a 1994-1998 dodge 12v cummins truck, other than the transmission are there any other things to look out for? Is ten grand (:canada:) a reasonable price for one?

This http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0706dp_1997_dodge_ram_kdp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Maybe check the case pressure relief valve on the pump. Its free and can't hurt.

• Locked thread