Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

With Sport Chalet selling everything I'm hoping they'll still have the Marmot Limelight 3P or Tungsten 3P when they mark things down even more. Right now they're 20% off but I wonder if I'm pushing it to wait for 30% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Took my wife to Double Peak Trail in San Marcos, CA yesterday to change up our usual hiking day. She's from Toronto so all the outdoors stuff is very new to her and I hope to ease her into backpacking eventually.

View of the Batiquitos Lagoon and Pacific Ocean.

Looking east towards the Escondido

Parts of San Marcos

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

khysanth posted:

Very cool. I grew up in the Murrieta/Temecula area but didn't do much hiking til I moved to LA. Spent a lot of time between there, Escondido, San Marcos, Carlsbad, northern SD, etc. growing up.

Any other hikes you can recommend for the next time I'm down visiting family?

For Escondido, Daley Ranch has a series of trails that link together so you can spend an hour or the whole day there. Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve is also in Escondido. Where Vista/Oceanside/Carlsbad meet is Lake Calavera which is really easy but is a nice place to go to do a quick hike if you're in the area. Palomar Mountain is also a good one.

This guy's site has pretty good info on various hikes across the county: http://www.ihikesandiego.com/

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

My wife and I are spending the New Year at the Grand Canyon. There is so much trash compared to the North Rim. :(

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Here's some pictures from the Grand Canyon over New Year's!

The first morning we were there, there was a ton of fog and really low clouds so visibility was nearly zero.

Luckily though, the weather started to clear up around 3 p.m. so my wife and I went down Bright Angel Trail for a bit.

The next morning was much better for taking some pictures at the rim though, which was nice.

After breakfast we hitched a ride on the shuttle to the South Kaibab Trail. We almost made it to Cedar Ridge but the mules came back up and their smell was getting to my wife. She's allergic to horses so we took a long break to wait for the scent to go away and we went back up to the rim just to be safe.

The last thing we did was go to Desert View to check out the sites. However, the weather started to go south pretty quickly so we didn't stick around too long.

Overall it was a great experience to see the Grand Canyon in the winter. We camped at Mather for two nights. It was also my wife's first time camping (she's from Toronto) and she enjoyed the experience so that was pretty great. We have an annual pass to Joshua Tree so we're planning on doing a night or two of camping there before the pass expires in May.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

erobadapazzi posted:

I decided to aim for completing the 52 Hike Challenge this year. So far we've done 3: Monrovia Canyon, Ryan Mountain in Joshua Tree, and Sandstone Peak down in Malibu. I don't always like living in Southern California, but we do have some good options for getting on trails. Thanks to those of you who post photos from SoCal hikes--it's good motivation.

If you feel like travelling a bit the Cleveland National Forest has some pretty neat trails. It's also broken up into three areas so you don't have to always travel down to the Descanso Ranger District to do stuff.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Checked out the Santa Margarita River Trail in Fallbrook, CA on Monday. Back in 2007 the Rice Canyon Fire reached back in this area but it's recovered nicely since then.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I've never done an REI garage sale but I dunno if I want to after reading horror stories about it. :ohdear:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Today my wife and I got to hike about 3ish miles of the PCT to Eagle Rock, not too far from Warner Springs.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 3, 2017

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Oh I'm not hiking the trail right now. The first 100 or so miles of the PCT are within 1-3 hours of where I live so it's fun to do some day hikes on the weekends. Though doing the PCT is something on the bucketlist for sure.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Oh man the rain all over SD this year really made the trail green compared to your pics

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

When I was a Corpsman in the Navy not too long ago they told us as long as it wasn't over 2400mg per 24hr it was ok. But then again we gave out 800mg horsepills of ibuprofen at a time. :v:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Congrats!

I'm looking to do the Big Laguna Trail in San Diego on the 4th. It'll be my wife's first 10+ mile hike so hopefully it works out.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It was about 90 degrees at Mt. Laguna yesterday and my wife isn't used to hiking in that heat so we did a shorter hike to Garnet Peak instead of the Big Laguna Trail. At the top of the peak we were able to look out towards the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Sometime in November or December I'm looking to do an overnight hike to Rabbit Peak out in Anza-Borrego so hiking up in our tiny mountains in San Diego will help over the next few months.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

My wife and I are going to camp at Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP for four days during the week of Thanksgiving. Are there any recommended hikes that can't be missed? I haven't convinced my wife of the wonders that backpacking entails so we're mostly up for day hiking for now.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It is now acceptable to be out in the desert to hike! This morning I took a trip to the Coyote Mountains out in the Sonoran Desert to hike the Domelands Trail, about 1.5 hours east of San Diego.

NAF El Centro is not too far east of Ocotillo, and there is a naval gunnery range that encompasses part of the eastern Coyote Mountains, so I saw these training aircraft flying by every 45 minutes or so.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

A bit upset with myself after today. I had been planning this overnight hike out in the desert for a few months and squandered it after 5 miles in of the 12 I needed to do today. I fell and got some ocotillo thorns stuck in my forearm along with scrapes all over my right hand. I washed the areas with some water, but wasn't paying attention to how much I used and ended up using almost a quart of water to get all the gunk out. Since I only brought two gallons of water I realized I wouldn't be able to make it out and back without really stretching it. Hopefully I can retry the hike next month since I somehow have two days off in a row again at work, otherwise I may have to wait until next year. :(

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I enjoyed Warren Peak and Mastodon Peak last time I was out there.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went out to Kitchen Creek Falls today, which is just off mile 16/17 of the PCT. On the way back down ran into about 16 or 17 thru-hikers since it's that time of the year.

The trail's beginning starts by crossing under the 8 and then going up some switchbacks. On the way back to the car found a rattlesnake under a rock.

I bet this looked better last month, but it's par the course for waterfalls for us.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Looks like this coming week will be the last one for ~reasonable~ desert hikes in San Diego which makes me sad.

I haven't used my REI dividend yet and was wondering what would be good creature comforts for car camping as my wife doesn't enjoy camping as much as I do.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Today was a great day for a desert hike in the Mountain Empire part of San Diego County, right before the 8 drops down into Imperial County and Ocotillo. It was ~75 in Jacumba Hot Springs compared to ~95 in Ocotillo which is only 13ish miles further east.

So I decided to check out the Valley of the Moon trail, which ended up being about 7.5 miles.

The Jacumba Wilderness Area is a nice place for people to take their Jeeps offroading, but since I don't have a 4x4 I had to walk up the road.

Looking northeast after getting up the road.

Some cacti still have flowers.

Somewhere down in that mess of rocks is the border with Mexico. GPS said I got within 50 feet of it but I didn't see any markers.

On the way back I did find the fence though. It was just a lot of rusted barbed wire that was falling over in random spots that had no indication of foot traffic.

On the way out before getting back onto the Jeep road down to where I parked a mile away.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I found this the other day. It has a ton of trails for Anza Borrego Desert State Park I never knew about so I know what my winter will be like.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

January is shaping up to be pretty nice. My wife and I are going to take a week to drive out to Coconino National Forest and Grand Canyon for a week and depending how camped-out she is, we might do a night or two in Joshua Tree on the way back home.

I'm going to not bust my rear end again on a fall and overnight on Rabbit Peak on the south end of the Santa Rosa mountains. And who knows what other hikes in the Anza Borrego Desert S.P.

I'm very much excited.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I went to Grand Canyon for new years two years ago and it was fine driving my lovely Volvo S40 around without chains on. My wife and I are planning on going back in January as well since it was pretty neat last time.

It snowed a bit one night of the three we were there and was windy, but nothing terrible. Just consistently 30-34F all day and night.

For the hiking at GC make sure you get YakTrax or something of the sort. It's slippery as gently caress on the mud going up and down the trails.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Snagged myself an Ultralite Quick-Tent for $30 with tax and shipping.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I got a confirmation email 5 minutes after ordering.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lol they got slammed. Gonna take up to a week for them to process my order and ship the tarp.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

My Brooks Range order finally shipped. Lol.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I attempted to do the hike to Rabbit Peak in the Santa Rosa Mountains on Wed/Thurs but ran into problems due to snow. So my 24 mile overnight turned into 14 miles to a spot just shy of Villager Peak.

The trailhead is just off Highway 78 about halfway between Borrego Springs and Salton Sea and starts around 1000' above sea level.

Whole lotta stalks growing this time of the year.

First break at ~2400 feet or so.

The last time I tried this hike there wasn't any snow reported on Villager Peak but this year it was ~3000 feet when I started seeing it.

Since I'm dumb and didn't prepare for 2-3" of soft snow I stopped 0.25 miles from Villager Peak since the trail is along the ridge and covered in snow and I was still going for 20 minutes after sunset. Though I was rewarded with this view in the morning at ~5600ft up.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Poles have definitely saved me from busting my rear end on some of the hilly desert hikes I've done so I recommend them.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Cascade trekking poles are at my local Costco now.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Gonna hit up Yosemite and Glacier in June. Very excited since I thought due to life things it'd be a few years down the road.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Chard posted:

nice! are you driving? if so i can recommend some other places to check out on the way along the southern end

Yeah we're going to drive from San Diego so I'm open to ideas.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Just did four days at Yellowstone and ooooh boy am I glad I won't be there in July. Sure a lot of stuff is still closed because of snow but I couldn't imagine getting around with so many more people.

Off to Glacier tomorrow. :)

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Holy moly is the road to Many Glacier bad.

We camped out a night at St. Mary and it rained all night well into the morning, with more rain and lightning projected for tonight so we left early. Snow and ice still make the trek to Grinnel glacier dicey for my wife's inexperience so we just did the loop around Swiftcurrent Lake and Lake Josephine while it rained.

A lot of services open this weekend or next week so we missed out by a week but that's off-season for you.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Saw a few of those, some Bonneville shooting stars, a lot of indian paintbrushes, western blue clematis.

The rivers were going pretty strong. There's still enough ice and snow on the mountains that a Ranger said it's hard to tell where the glaciers are if you can't determine the difference so the rivers should keep flowing how they are.

Going to the Sun road is still closed until June 22 at the earliest. They only have the first 13.5 miles open from St. Mary on the east and 18ish? from Apgar on the west.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 7, 2019

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Checked out Great Basin NP since we cut a day short at Glacier and it wasn't out of the way back to San Diego. There's some good hikes to doif you're prepared for it since they're all like 8000 or 9000+ feet up. Also the drive there from Idaho showed me a part of Nevada I never knew about and seems pretty neat to explore.

Road up to Wheeler was closed about 8 miles up due to snow, so we only got to Mather Overlook. Also did the Lehman Cave tour and its worth the extra $2 for the 90 minute tour. Just book online early because they sell our quick. It's only 20 people per tour and they do 10-13 a day.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

huhu posted:

I'm headed to Iceland next month and I'm trying to figure out my tent situation. I have a hammock but that sounds like a no go for this trip. I'm also figuring for the future, since I already have a one person sleeping situation and I'll be throwing my tent into the back of a car, that I'd just go with this:
https://www.rei.com/product/129202/the-north-face-stormbreak-2-tent

Does that make sense?

My wife and I use a Marmot Tungsten 3P for car camping. The extra space is great and it's going in a car.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I have finally decided to stop being lazy and move pics off my phone from last month's road trip.

First was Yellowstone.

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

Mammoth Hot Springs

It was windy the day we went to Grand Prismatic so this is the best we could see

Breakfast buddy

Salmon Lake

Next stop, Glacier.

Walking to pay for our spot and saw this sneaky guy.

The weather wasn't great so we left after a day. :(

Finally, Great Basin.

The closest we could get to Wheeler without hiking as the road still was closed due to snow.

And of course Lehman Cave tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

While I don't know the weather two Thursdays out, I already told two people that I might OptOutside. Anyone else blowing off the turkeys and their turkey, or will it just be me and the fuzzy trees?

I fuckin wish. But this is my last Black Friday in retail so next year I definitely will. Depending on my weekend schedule I may get a short hike in around Mt. Laguna here in San Diego.